• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

Uzzy

axFkl78.jpg

It's so beautiful. Time to restore the Roman Empire.

belushy

Banned
Has Paradox made any indication of a "modern day" 4k political game? I'm not sure what mechanics would really work, but am still kind of interested in it. I was watching a few of the Mega campaigns (CK2->EU4->V2->HoI4), and thought about it.

ZZMitch

Has Paradox made any indication of a "modern day" 4k political game? I'm not sure what mechanics would really work, but am still kind of interested in it. I was watching a few of the Mega campaigns (CK2->EU4->V2->HoI4), and thought about it.

There was a Cold War era game in development but it didn't work out

Aaron D.

Man, a modern-era Crusader Kings clone would be so damned incredible.

Christ I get chills just imagining it.

belushy

Banned
So this game is coming out soon: Realpolitiks It isn't Paradox, I know, but it seems slightly interesting and in line with a "modern" era game. It seems pretty barebones in a few aspects though.

frontovik

Banned
Has anyone here attended previous Paradox fan gatherings? I wish I had the means to attend the upcoming PDX Con; it seems like it'll quite a fun experience.

belushy

Banned
Brand new video of the CK2 Generator tool a person on Reddit has been making. Expected release is after Monks and Mystics comes out. (release date for the new version, rather. There is already versions out there to play with)

Link

CzarTim

210 hours and this is the first game I've played through to the end. I usually taper off in the late 1600s.

Tuscany / Popeland / Sweden are all vassals. Sweden actually diplo vassalized right at the end. Probably could have taken all of mainland Europe had I managed my agressive expansion better. Something to learn for next time, but taking over the HRE was my main goal.

Russia was a beast. We rivaled each other for most of the game, but never actually fought.

I've played EU 4 for quite a while now but I'm curious as to what you guys feel like the best way to deal with the Ottomans is. In all my games where I've ended on top I've essentially done so by avoiding direct border contact with them. War is a constant threat because at times it feels like the AI has an almost unlimited manpower supply.

Maybe it's an Ironman mode thing but damn if I'm not impressed with those that can start as Byzantium and make something out of it.

I've played EU 4 for quite a while now but I'm curious as to what you guys feel like the best way to deal with the Ottomans is. In all my games where I've ended on top I've essentially done so by avoiding direct border contact with them. War is a constant threat because at times it feels like the AI has an almost unlimited manpower supply.

Maybe it's an Ironman mode thing but damn if I'm not impressed with those that can start as Byzantium and make something out of it.

Bottom line with the Ottomans at the start is that you need to get some alliances going with good relations that you can (or they can) call you to arms when the Ottomans wage a formidable push into your (or their) territory.

The Ottomans are stronger militarily than any nation state in Europe at game start (1444), alliances are the only viable way.

If you neighbour them I strongly recommend military tech/ideas being primary goal. You will be able to rise above them in this area if you focus it, since they won't focus on it at times. When you see that you're about 3 levels higher in military, it's a good time to cripple them, it may take more than one war to really put them down for rest of the game, but that first war must really be strategic and will depend on a game per game basis. How much you focus on mil tech/ideas is dependent on the state of your alliances.

Also I forget the name of it, but the idea that increases coring cost of enemies coring your territory is helpful but it is a deviation from mil focus, so if you at a decent position with alliances you can try go for that as well.

Llyranor

I love the Ottomans! Playing as England at war with France, Spain, Portugal, and Hungary, having them join the war as an excuse to beat up their rivals was just awesome to see.

Uzzy

Honestly it's all about restarts until you get Skanderbeg on your side and he's not instantly wiped. In the game above the Ottos declared on Albania, who were allied to myself and Hungary, and it was just a case of sticking like glue to the Albanian stack. Skanderbeg's stats let you beat the Ottomans easily, especially if you're able to get them to attack you in mountain provinces.

I got a bunch of cores in that first war, which was handy. The most important province to get is Edirne, which lets you split the Ottomans in two, so you can conquer the Balkans at will.

Aaron D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri1TOhK6syw

http://steamcommunity.com/games/203770/announcements/detail/583617921456749253

Nice, concise feature overview of CK2's 'M&M' DLC.

Didn't realize there was an Artifact quest system in place. I imagine the game would give you leads on where to find them. Could be a nice bread-crumb trail for expansion goals in general.

Also digging the QoL improvements with the interface and stuff like extra Council jobs.

Looks like we've got a date as well, March 7th. Can't wait.

Bottom line with the Ottomans at the start is that you need to get some alliances going with good relations that you can (or they can) call you to arms when the Ottomans wage a formidable push into your (or their) territory.

The Ottomans are stronger militarily than any nation state in Europe at game start (1444), alliances are the only viable way.

If you neighbour them I strongly recommend military tech/ideas being primary goal. You will be able to rise above them in this area if you focus it, since they won't focus on it at times. When you see that you're about 3 levels higher in military, it's a good time to cripple them, it may take more than one war to really put them down for rest of the game, but that first war must really be strategic and will depend on a game per game basis. How much you focus on mil tech/ideas is dependent on the state of your alliances.

Also I forget the name of it, but the idea that increases coring cost of enemies coring your territory is helpful but it is a deviation from mil focus, so if you at a decent position with alliances you can try go for that as well.

Honestly it's all about restarts until you get Skanderbeg on your side and he's not instantly wiped. In the game above the Ottos declared on Albania, who were allied to myself and Hungary, and it was just a case of sticking like glue to the Albanian stack. Skanderbeg's stats let you beat the Ottomans easily, especially if you're able to get them to attack you in mountain provinces.

I got a bunch of cores in that first war, which was handy. The most important province to get is Edirne, which lets you split the Ottomans in two, so you can conquer the Balkans at will.

Interesting.

Even at 700 hours I still feel like I'm barely scratching the surface of a lot of my games. I think my biggest issue right now is learning to take the game slow. Most of my successful games have been through brute force land grabs and trying to eliminate nearby medium powers so there's less resistance and coalitions. Then I watch people on twitch and they spend whole days just managing stuff nations for 50 years and I feel bad.

I'm sure this has been argued to death and I'm probably in the minority but I am not a huge fan of that add-on or update that added the special technology institutions. I feel like it drags a lot of precious Admin, Dip, and Military points away from critical issues because if you get behind your tech progress becomes a mess. It also makes it super difficult for any nation that isn't in the European sphere of influence to make headway.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
The latest patch was supposed to improve performance, but the late game speed still seems to be mostly unchanged for me. I also saw the German AI get crushed by the Soviets after only nine months of declaring war; I hope the patch didn't introduce any balance problems.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The latest patch was supposed to improve performance, but the late game speed still seems to be mostly unchanged for me. I also saw the German AI get crushed by the Soviets after only nine months of declaring war; I hope the patch didn't introduce any balance problems.

In my South Africa game the Germans occupied the whole Europe and took Leningrad, Moscow and Stalingrad. But now they are pushed back by allies in Italy and France by 1945. And I can see the grass growing while the days are crawling now on max speed.

mxgt

Banned
Started playing EUIV again recently, I really don't know why I stopped as the game is so damn fun and ridiculously addictive.

I'm still new and terrible at the game, and I started playing as Norway expecting a really slow start and pretty boring game but I've gotten insanely lucky

• Got Independence pretty early on
  • Allied up with Muscovy
  • Target was to wipe Sweden off the face of the earth, but they were allied with the PLC so I was like fuck that shit
  • Decide to destroy Scotland with England while France is in another war, wipe them off the earth in 2 wars and take all their territory
  • Suddenly Sweden is no longer allied to PLC
  • Methodically ruin Sweden over the course of 4 or 5 wars
  • Musocvy's ruler dies with no heir.. they become my subject, holy shit. Promotes me up to 5th in the list of great nations - I'm assuming this is a pretty low chance of happening? don't know if Muscovy's ruler usually dies without an heir..
  • Norway now has the largest combined army in the game in 1580

Up next: destroy fucking everyone.

Vinter

Managed to get PU'ed by Provence as France. I was doing really well and had conquered big parts of Iberia and I got the "Burgundian Inheritance". Was allied with Provence and so when the popup with the "join houses" or whatever, I automatically assumed I got a PU over Provence. My mistake was not reading the damn text properly. My ruler only had like 50 legitimacy which is probably the reason it happened, but I honestly didn't think it was possible. I was ranked 2nd Greatest nation for fucks sake! Anyways, I feel like a total moron now and I have to wait 5 years for independence so I don't break a truce. It is funny that it can happen though.

Whoa, now this was weird.

Had a vassal of my kingdom declare war on me for independence, but before I could react and hit the pause button to go and raise some levies, the war suddenly ended with the vassal's death by suicide the literal next day.

But anyway, I think CK2 has finally clicked with me. Stole a bunch of land from my vassals by assassinating their underage heirs after they died, captured one of my neighboring kingdoms' kings in a viking raid, and conquered all of Sweden by rolling my army in and blitzkrieging all it's counties while its entire levy was trying to subjugate Estonia (and failing).

Dealt with a troublesome heir who was getting too many votes by sending him on a hopeless raid into the Middle East, electors' votes quickly switched over to oldest son with the best (Truly, the greatest) stats and traits while the previous heir to Danmark rotted in a Byzantine dungeon.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to deal with that one king in my dungeon, and how to go about dealing with the lands that that one guy who's stuck in Byzantium is going to inherit because fucking Gavelkind.

ag-my001

Whoa, now this was weird.

Had a vassal of my kingdom declare war on me for independence, but before I could react and hit the pause button to go and raise some levies, the war suddenly ended with the vassal's death by suicide the literal next day.

But anyway, I think CK2 has finally clicked with me. Stole a bunch of land from my vassals by assassinating their underage heirs after they died, captured one of my neighboring kingdoms' kings in a viking raid, and conquered all of Sweden by rolling my army in and blitzkrieging all it's counties while its entire levy was trying to subjugate Estonia (and failing).

Dealt with a troublesome heir who was getting too many votes by sending him on a hopeless raid into the Middle East, electors' votes quickly switched over to oldest son with the best (Truly, the greatest) stats and traits while the previous heir to Danmark rotted in a Byzantine dungeon.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to deal with that one king in my dungeon, and how to go about dealing with the lands that that one guy who's stuck in Byzantium is going to inherit because fucking Gavelkind.
Blinded and/or castrated characters can't inherit. The Byzzie rulers love to do both. When they send you ransom demands, just keep refusing and hope they eventually go for option number two.

belushy

Banned
Is there cheap Paradox game DLC anywhere right now? Kinda want the Vicky 2 expansions so I can finally play it for real lol

Aaron D.

Looks like the best deal right now is buying the entire DLC Collection for $25 direct from Steam.

Purchasing as a complete package saves you close to 50% off the MSRP.

Funny, Paradox just had a Valentines sale on their site and I picked up Vicky 2 & one of the DLC's (House Divided) for pretty cheap. Looks like it was patched not too long ago to run on current hardware. I haven't put too much time into it, but I like what I'm seeing so far.

ZZMitch

Just reformed the Nordic faith in my Oppland game! It is about 870 (so 100 or so years in on Charlemagne start). Was a fun race to reform since my ruler is 70 now and I needed to get moral authority up to 50 before he died. Lots of last minute looting of christian temples on the British Isles and northern Germany haha.

Kabouter

Just reformed the Nordic faith in my Oppland game! It is about 870 (so 100 or so years in on Charlemagne start). Was a fun race to reform since my ruler is 70 now and I needed to get moral authority up to 50 before he died. Lots of last minute looting of christian temples on the British Isles and northern Germany haha.

So that's why the Norsemen did that...

DrSlek

Just purchased Monks & Mystics and I already have a goal in mind for my next game when I get home. Corrupt a priest as a satanist and have him become Pope.

I look forward to each and every one of the new cults and religious subtypes having 2-3x the amount of content and decisions Jewish rulers have.

Monks and Mystics is rather fun, I don't regret my purchase one bit. Added an additional layer to the world and gave us some needed QoL stuff (some even free with the patch).

I do feel however that too much attention has been made to the Lucifer's Own cult as well as some other obscure gatherings. I had one queen become a member of the cult and there are tons of events, interesting mechanics, etc. Not that I mind but compared to that, the monastic orders (like the Benedictines) which you would have expected to have the most fleshed out mechanics given they were actually a more real thing in the Middle Ages, are very much barebones.

But hey, at least I can find the prepuce of Jesus Christ!
/s

DrSlek

Dear me, I haven't played CK2 in a while. Since my last game 3 expansions have been released. The Reaper's Due is just kicking the shit out of me. I'm starting as an unmarried count in Scotland, and keep dying from disease before I can secure a male heir. The twist of the knife being the first time I was neck deep in the immortality event chain when I died.

I joined one of the demon worshipers for the Slavic religion culture called "The Cold Ones" and I have been taking concubines and wives just to have children to sacrifice to Cherborog(?) as virgins for lots of dark power and take the lifeforce of my children. My character loves to seek out the courtiers as well so the bastard children are always the first to go.

I also abduct a lot of people for this as well.

My habits of demonic possession and cursing my enemies require so much sacrifice, I've had a few uprisings of my people because of how publicly I was an "evil tyrant", I had no intention of hiding my new powers. One of the rebel leaders was also a virgin which was great for me in fulfilling one of my mission sacrifices when I defeated and captured him.

I really love how the societies whether you directly join them or not change the game dynamic a lot even in simple ways like when it turns out that the leader of The Cold Ones when I joined was actually the duke next door that I was planning to invade for quite some time and preparing for (I was trying to form Kingdom of Croatia) lol. And the guy that got me into the society in the first place we became great/close friends and then he turned into my rival and later on murdered me.

Also I had a demonic orgy with some elusive woman and other men and women in the society but I didn't really get to see what the outcome later on would be like because I got murdered a few months later any ways lol.

Any idea how to issue missions as the leader of a cult?

Hmm no idea, I haven't been able to get that far.

frontovik

Banned
Does anyone end up playing CK2 like EU IV? i.e. just declaring wars of conquest via titles?

I get the impression that CK2's tools of espionage, schemes, and subterfuge aren't really complex or in-depth.

I've played CK2 long time ago after watching a couple of long (40min) videos about the basics. I kinda remember something, but is there a quick recap of the basics I can read/watch to remember again stuff I probably forgot?

Does anyone end up playing CK2 like EU IV? i.e. just declaring wars of conquest via titles?

I get the impression that CK2's tools of espionage, schemes, and subterfuge aren't really complex or in-depth.

I admit I'm guilty of this too but a lot of people (on the CK2 forums in particular) have proven the incredible efficiency of using subterfuge and smart marriages (basically, going all Austria on the AI). It's guaranteed to bring you a more lasting and stable expansion but to make it work, however, you need to be incredibly, INCREDIBLY patient and get much deeper into micromanaging. Obviously, that doesn't work for areas where you can feasibly do the most work using holy wars but still.

I've played CK2 long time ago after watching a couple of long (40min) videos about the basics. I kinda remember something, but is there a quick recap of the basics I can read/watch to remember again stuff I probably forgot?

The only thing I can recommend from the top of my head is the Arumba's Beginner Tutorial on youtube but that's almost 3 years old at this point. I mean, a lot of the basic stuff will still be the mostly the same but a lot of patches have been released since then (as well as a lot of DLC).

Gonna pick up EU4 and the core expansions in the Humble Store sale and get a mega-campaign going if I survive my current CK2 campaign... What's the general opinion on using Random New World? I don't really care for historical accuracy at this point considering I've already turned Denmark into a major world power and saved Scandinavia from the machinations of Bluetooth in this current campaign.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gonna pick up EU4 and the core expansions in the Humble Store sale and get a mega-campaign going if I survive my current CK2 campaign... What's the general opinion on using Random New World? I don't really care for historical accuracy at this point considering I've already turned Denmark into a major world power and saved Scandinavia from the machinations of Bluetooth in this current campaign.

I don't like it very much. The worlds it makes, last I played it, aren't as interesting as the Americas proper.

frontovik

Banned
Took well over fifty tries, but I finally made progress in my Gothic Invasion achievement run by migrating to the HRE.

The stars really need to be aligned for certain runs in this game.

So uh, decided to get EU4 (With just the Art of War and Common Sense expansions) and Hearts of Iron 4...

Yeah uh, HoI4... I figured out Stellaris and CK2 pretty quickly, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing here.

So uh, decided to get EU4 (With just the Art of War and Common Sense expansions) and Hearts of Iron 4...

Yeah uh, HoI4... I figured out Stellaris and CK2 pretty quickly, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing here.

HoI4 is ez mode, hoi3 was overcomplicated :p

What problems are you having? I'm 300 hours in with 60% of the achievements so I can certainly give advice and answer questions.

Tutorial will teach you the controls. Easy country to start with is the UK since it's very safe behind the navy after you've finished the tutorial.

ZZMitch

Italy is a good starting nation too. You start off with a nice easy war against Ethiopia to get your feet wet with battle planners, air force etc. After that you get to be Germany's little brother and fool around in Africa/Middle East while Germany takes the brunt of the fighting. You have options in France, Eastern Europe etc. too. Italys position also allows you to focus on either air force, naval land and you are big enough to be a major player without being so big that you get overwhelmed with units and fronts etc.

And then at the end of the game you invade the USA. Easy ;p

Top Bottom