• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paragon (Epic's MOBA) gameplay and impression videos. Plus new short vid by Epic.

Lebneney

Banned
Watching these matches makes me genuinely excited for this game. This is honestly one of the few games that I'm cautiously optimistic for.

Super happy that this game is unapologetically a MOBA. Concerned about the financial model which seems to be the main danger right now.

Happy that it's substantially different from Overwatch. It will be easy for both to carve out a space.

I didn't get the chance to play the last PS4 test so hopefully I will this Saturday. It's on for 8 hours so I hope I'm not doing anything. I've been interested in this for a while, I like the slow paced look of it. I haven't spoiled myself on any of the characters/abilities yet so I'm hoping there's some good variety. I know it's a shooter but if it's all long ranged then I'll be quite bummed.

I just hope they don't go for the LoL model with rotational characters. If they're doing that, at least give me an option to buy them all outright for cheaper like Smite did.

Loving all the videos that are coming out. Looks like a ton of fun! Hope I get into the beta. Do they email you or do I have to check my profile on Epic's website?

I do wonder if Epic intends to keep the heroes mute or they will infuse them with character via writing and VO down the line, because right now these are empty shells.

I don't know if this is a budget thing, state of development or only Blizzard understands this, but so far out of all the upcoming competitive games Overwatch is the only one which uses its characters. Which plays up its varied, colorful cast. And as I understand they're going to do "Meet the ..." type videos too.

Moobabe

I do wonder if Epic intends to keep the heroes mute or they will infuse them with character via writing and VO down the line, because right now these are empty shells.

I don't know if this is a budget thing, state of development or only Blizzard understands this, but so far out of all the upcoming competitive games Overwatch is the only one which uses its characters. Which plays up its varied, colorful cast. And as I understand they're going to do "Meet the ..." type videos too.

That was something I noted while playing - it's cool that each character has their own unique look and play style but, as you say, there's not much character to them.

lol thats pretty much how i describe Gigantic.

Let's imagine in in the alpha. *imagine*, you know.

Then I would be able to say that it's way more Smite than Gigantic. Right now, in fact, if someone is waiting to try Paragon, I would say to him: it's too alpha, play Smite right now. Maybe things will change later, but it isn't going to be anytime soon.

It's kind of funny, as this being Epic, I imagined this would be like Overwatch, a much more traditional action game with different heroes.

Then as it seemed this wasn't the case, I imagined it would be like Gigantic or Battleborn, a third or first person action game with some elements of MOBA.

But no, it's like Smite, a MOBA which happens to be in third person camera.
Yes, it has a more proper free vertical aiming and jump key (like a normal action game), but the way the game is designed it doesn't matter: the action is very slow, the damage feels very weak (even killing creeps in the late game is kind of slow!), the range of the weapons is super short, bullets magically disappear at 15mts away, like ranged characters in other MOBAs. So all together in no way it feels like an action game.
The other new feature is that in three or four places there is a height change in the map, unlike in Smite where the terrain is 100% flat.

Let's imagine in in the alpha. *imagine*, you know.

Then I would be able to say that it's way more Smite than Gigantic. Right now, in fact, if someone is waiting to try Paragon, I would say to him: it's too alpha, play Smite right now. Maybe things will change later, but it isn't going to be anytime soon.

It's kind of funny, as this being Epic, I imagined this would be like Overwatch, a much more traditional action game with different heroes.

Then as it seemed this wasn't the case, I imagined it would be like Gigantic or Battleborn, a third or first person action game with some elements of MOBA.

But no, it's like Smite, a MOBA which happens to be in third person camera.
Yes, it has a more proper free vertical aiming and jump key (like a normal action game), but the way the game is designed it doesn't matter: the action is very slow, the damage feels very weak (even killing creeps in the late game is kind of slow!), the range of the weapons is super short, bullets magically disappear at 15mts away, like ranged characters in other MOBAs. So all together in no way it feels like an action game.
The other new feature is that in three or four places there is a height change in the map, unlike in Smite where the terrain is 100% flat.

Well considering that the lack of vertical aiming, flat maps and lack of jumping is the reason I don't play Smite, this game sounds pretty perfect for me.

Knowing the history of Epic they have never been strong on characters.
  • UT games have some dialogue and one liners, but they don't really have any appeal.
  • Gears was all about macho man vs locust. Some more development in 2/3 but still light on characters and narrow on the diversity.
  • Fortnite looks like stock characters from Unity marketplace.
  • Infinity Blade was pretty much a suit of armor as opposed to a character.

Graphically every hero looks great. However, most of them are generic archetypes with a flat-out boring visual design. Plenty of time to add voice acting and emotes, but I am not sure how interesting can they get. You will never rotate the camera to look at the front of the character during the game. Ashe and Malzahar aren't even a good characters of LoL and Paragon somehow makes the archer girl and mage archetypes way less interesting.

In theory their priorities are right: focus on gameplay and technical side of the game. However they have opened Paragon with character announcements... Blizzard got their characters nailed with the first trailer: tracer, widowmaker, ape, reaper instantly appealing. League opens every character with some kind of music video/animation/motion graphics. Some are absolute hits like Jinx, Draven, Fizz or Poppy.

Even tragically over-the-top Battleborn characters are more memorable than Paragon's.

Do we know what the default button layout for the controller is or is that still under NDA? I'm trying to dig that up but so far no one has mentioned it.

the range of the weapons is super short, bullets magically disappear at 15mts away, like ranged characters in other MOBAs.

Thats a shame, one of my favorite things about Gigantic is being able to harass people from across the map with certain characters... looks like ill be stickin with the motiga band wagon for the moment :p

decoy11

All of these alpha games that Epic have in the works feel like they are just test beds for their main money maker which is the Unreal 4 Engine. They literally take forever in making the games and feel like they are doing it as a hobby.

RPS second article: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/02/22/paragon-interview/

You can read about Paragon, Epic’s new MOBA, over here, but there were parts I had to cut out of the feature for flow and length. If you’re wondering about the game’s replay system, crossplay with consoles, approach to chat toxicity, and why Epic are making a MOBA in the first place, read on for some bonus materials from my conversation with creative director Steve Superville.

They put up highlight vids for Muriel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE-zGdHF7vg&feature=share

and Gideon too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAuMvGvKhIs

and OT9 this weekend:https://www.reddit.com/r/paragon/comments/47l1sf/online_test_9_coming_this_weekend/

Hey everyone,

We know this is later than normal, but here's the update for this weekend's test.

Online Test 9 begins Saturday, Feb. 27th and ends Sunday, Feb. 28th. There are a number of major changes we're trying to include in the next build of the game, however we're still trying to get those changes in for this weekend. Tomorrow (Friday) we will evaluate the status of the build and determine if we can use it for OT9. We are sending out new invites to the Alpha testing later today, so be on the lookout in those emails!

Rather than hold the test for a new build, we want to make sure you can play this weekend and have more time with the game. So, even if the new build isn't ready tomorrow, you'll be able to play the current build all weekend. We really want to give a big thanks to everyone helping us make Paragon better!

Here are the list of times for the Online Test:

* US East Coast: Sat 9am - Sun 10pm EST
* US West Coast: Sat 6am - Sun 7pm PST
* London: Sat 2pm - Mon 3am GMT
* Berlin: Sat 3pm - Mon 4am CET
* Paris: Sat 3pm - Mon 4am CET
* Moscow: Sat 5pm - Mon 6am MSK

Pif

Banned
Just got this on my mailbox:

"Thank you for signing up for the Paragon Beta and for patiently waiting to play. We appreciate your support for Paragon and want to keep you informed about what’s happening with the game. Today we announced that Founder’s Packs go on sale March 14, and Early Access begins on March 18.

Free Play Events For You
As someone who has signed up for the beta, even if you don’t want to buy a Founder’s Pack, you will be invited to free Beta Weekends during the Early Access Season.

You can also choose to buy a Founder’s Pack starting on March 14, and begin playing March 18. We’ll have more details on Founder’s Packs and Beta Weekends soon. If you’d rather wait, the game will be in free Open Beta in the summer of 2016.

All Heroes Free, All Cards Earned
Paragon is designed so that all players can compete and win without ever having to spend money. All Heroes are free, and cards can only be earned by playing the game. The game will never be pay-to-win, meaning we will never sell gameplay-affecting items. We will sell cosmetic items (skins, emotes), boosts other convenience items, as well as early access. We’re taking this approach because we believe that competitive games need to fair for all players."

Top Bottom