• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ParentGaf OT: Birth, Bib and Beyond

slider

Whilst I was at work yesterday, my nearly four year old said to my wife...

"Are Spiderman and Batman real? Where do they live in the world? Can I meet them? I want to show them my toys. Can I be them when I grow up?"

This follows a comment a few months ago along the lines of...

"Mummy, daddy... You, "dog" and "baby" can stay home and I'll go out and catch bad guys".

He overwhelms me regularly. I do sometimes think he's too obsessed with superheroes; something he's got from a cousin. Hmm.

Hello again. Little guy was born 6/15/17 so he is a week old today.

Meet Lucas Rey or just Luke.

i7WjNEw.jpg

Downhome

Our girl is due July 16th, we decided on Cora June. I can so close to convincing my wife to go with Zelda. We compromised and if we have another girl she would be fine with it then.

I've been working on my Swift programming for about 8 months now and feel like I'm ready to build a commercial app. I was thinking of doing a little kids educational game. Something with matching/learning. Am I crazy?

Hello again. Little guy was born 6/15/17 so he is a week old today.

Meet Lucas Rey or just Luke.

i7WjNEw.jpg

Congrats, atleast we already know who this ones parents are ;)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Words you never want to hear your three-year old say:

"I wish I had a had a chainsaw..."

Especially when immediately followed by:

"I wish we had a baby in the house."

JeTmAn81

I've been working on my Swift programming for about 8 months now and feel like I'm ready to build a commercial app. I was thinking of doing a little kids educational game. Something with matching/learning. Am I crazy?

Language is kind of irrelevant. If you've got an idea for an interesting app, make it happen!

Any other men find their sex drive plummet when their partners started to show? I wasn't expecting this and it was a small source of stress when it popped up (the opposite, really). My suddenly low libido matched my partner's so there hasn't been any sexual frustration, and reading the internet suggests that this isn't unheard of and, at least on my end, things should return to normal once the baby has arrived. These past several months have been the least I've cared about sex (or the lack thereof) at any point since puberty.

Another thing: as of week 37, my partner now snores horribly. It's like someone dragging a rasp across some wood but not pressing down— but way louder. I guess this is just a prelude to post-baby lack of sleep, but was not expecting this quite so soon.

Any other men find their sex drive plummet when their partners started to show? I wasn't expecting this and it was a small source of stress when it popped up (the opposite, really). My suddenly low libido matched my partner's so there hasn't been any sexual frustration, and reading the internet suggests that this isn't unheard of and, at least on my end, things should return to normal once the baby has arrived. These past several months have been the least I've cared about sex (or the lack thereof) at any point since puberty.

Another thing: as of week 37, my partner now snores horribly. It's like someone dragging a rasp across some wood but not pressing down— but way louder. I guess this is just a prelude to post-baby lack of sleep, but was not expecting this quite so soon.

Nah. If anything, her increased libido early on was just fucking awesome. At no point in my wife's two pregnancies was I not thoroughly warm for her form.

As for the snoring, I feel like my wife's got bad while she was pregnant, but once she could easily sleep in more comfortable positions again post-baby, it wasn't an issue.

Any other men find their sex drive plummet when their partners started to show?

I couldn't remember so I asked my wife:

"Uh, no, you were still interested."
"Really? I have no memory of it specifically. You were paying attention?"
"Yes, I was worried you wouldn't be interested."
"Huh."

Although things do get... different... in that last trimester. And I distinctly remember feeling a bit like a piece of machinery when the baby was overdue and there was some theory that sex would help things along and that I better get on with it because she was tired of being pregnant. Good times!

I did my best not to feed her insecurities about her appearance, which I think were inappropriate, ridiculous, and yet completely understandable.

There's lots of affection still, so she doesn't feel unloved— we talked about this as soon as it happened. She isn't happy with how she looks but recognizes it as temporary. Bigger complaints are comfort and missing out on a bunch of her hobbies (Scotch, surfing, ultimate frisbee).

Nah. If anything, her increased libido early on was just fucking awesome.

Everything was fine until a bump showed up, and off a cliff the libido went.

As for the snoring, I feel like my wife's got bad while she was pregnant, but once she could easily sleep in more comfortable positions again post-baby, it wasn't an issue.

I'm sure that's it— it's just that it sounds different to her usual snoring which was a more traditional "I'm going to pretend to snore sound", but quiet.

there was some theory that sex would help things along and that I better get on with it because she was tired of being pregnant. Good times!

Theory is still around since the midwife told us we may be left alone during labour so I could help release some helpful chemicals through her orgasm.

emag

I'm sure this has been covered so please forgive me.

Simply put, what is a good baby monitor to pick up?

I doubt it much matters. You get more peace of mind with the video ones that have night vision, but even the audio-only ones are fine, too. Beyond that it's just compatibility features and screen size. Maybe some have better range than others, too, but how big is your house?

Downhome

I doubt it much matters. You get more peace of mind with the video ones that have night vision, but even the audio-only ones are fine, too. Beyond that it's just compatibility features and screen size. Maybe some have better range than others, too, but how big is your house?

Around 1800 square feet. I don't know why I'm having such a time deciding over one.

I don't know why I'm having such a time deciding over one.

Too many options that are all basically the same. I couldn't decide on one even though I was tasked with it; my partner just came home with one she nabbed off Kijiji because the price was good and the reviews indicated it didn't suck.

We bought some Motorola one that's supposed to be really good, but we didn't even end up using it.

Personally, I'd recommend the usual Foscam 8910W (which is what I'd recommend for general home security).

We bought some Motorola one that's supposed to be really good, but we didn't even end up using it.

Personally, I'd recommend the usual Foscam 8910W (which is what I'd recommend for general home security).

We didn't use ours much either, but we lived in fairly small homes.

And yoiks at the security vulnerabilities in that Foscam. IOT nightmare.

JoeNut

our video one is really good actually, it was about £100 but well worth it for the peace of mind of being able to actually see if he's ok

Wow positive representation in media really works! My daughter loved dinosaurs when she was really young, loved dinosaurs train etc. But ever since she started preschool and playing with all of the girls there she's been focusing more and more on the Disney princesses and dropping the dinosaurs. Until today we're on Amazon video and she says what's that dinosaur show, turns out it's not Dino Dan anymore but Dino Dana, and she loves it! Totally rekindled her interest, great to see.

We've been trying weaning but i don't think Leo is quite ready yet, he doesn't seem to get the concept of actually swallowing whats in his mouth.

He's pretty happy though!!

How old is he now? Getting onto a year...? Some of the ladies on the WTE forums are still going at 15 months and it's causing them a lot of transitional problems. He does look pretty happy, regardless. :)

Man, meeting other parents and even just having other kids interact with Mia is kind of a struggle here. I'll be putting her into day care a few days a week soon so that she can socialize more, but I didn't expect it to be so fruitless taking her to groups occasionally or the park in the meantime. :/

Nah he's only 6 months (next week) so fairly early yet

Sounds like you have plenty of time to get him used to the idea, then~ Good luck!

I wonder if that's what happened to me - when I was pregnant with my daughter I passed out in the post office just out of the blue and woke up to so many people crowded around me. I don't remember if there was pain or not but she was always in a weird position so I was in pain pretty often. But I am not a fainter so it was very weird.

Sorry, HM. Seems I missed this, but yeah, entirely possible. I'm not a fainter at all either, so I thought it really bizarre too. It was just like someone turned off a switch for a second.

We've only told our respective parents so far, but it looks like our Noodle will be getting a promotion to the rank of Big Brother. Noodle 2 is due end of Feb/beginning of March.

Oh god... who thought this would be a good idea!?!!

witness

Going to meet the child that we are adopting for the first time on Monday. We have been talking with him on the phone, he's 9, only for a few weeks now though we both have pictures. Road trip from Florida to Texas tomorrow with a stop off at my dads in New Orleans. We will be with him all next week and then he will be moving in with us on the 28th and we are taking FMLA until school starts on the 14th. This is our first child, so shits about to get crazy....

Soulfire

Well, water broke last night. Hope the contractions start soon.
Congratulations!!
Has she talked to her doctor? Normally, of course not in all cases, contractions start before your water breaks. My doctor and hospital were pretty adamant that once my water broke I had 24 hours to deliver before they would go in, that didn't happen for me, but it's something I remember them talking about.

Congratulations!!
Has she talked to her doctor? Normally, of course not in all cases, contractions start before your water breaks. My doctor and hospital were pretty adamant that once my water broke I had 24 hours to deliver before they would go in, that didn't happen for me, but it's something I remember them talking about.

Yeah, already called the midwife. Have to watch for a fever in her and lack of movements from baby, and then if labour hasn't started by tonight (24h) we'll go to the hospital for induction.

jl4855

Going to meet the child that we are adopting for the first time on Monday. We have been talking with him on the phone, he's 9, only for a few weeks now though we both have pictures. Road trip from Florida to Texas tomorrow with a stop off at my dads in New Orleans. We will be with him all next week and then he will be moving in with us on the 28th and we are taking FMLA until school starts on the 14th. This is our first child, so shits about to get crazy....

congrats, then the real fun begins :)

Soulfire

Yeah, already called the midwife. Have to watch for a fever in her and lack of movements from baby, and then if labour hasn't started by tonight (24h) we'll go to the hospital for induction.
Ok, fun times ahead. Keep us posted, seriously, the order goes Gaf then family. We've had issues in the past where people tell us last, days later even, it's kind of ridiculous.

Congratulations to you too witness. Adoption is something I looked into in the past when it took us so long to conceive the first time, but I don't know if I would be brave enough to adopt a nine year old. You guys are awesome!

witness

Congratulations to you too witness. Adoption is something I looked into in the past when it took us so long to conceive the first time, but I don't know if I would be brave enough to adopt a nine year old. You guys are awesome!

Thank you! We tried for 5 years naturally and then two IUIs but were still unsuccessful so we moved on. We had already paid for a third IUI but it was so emotionally painful for it to fail twice that we just couldn't try again. Maybe one day though. We didn't anticipate adopting a child that old either! After we learned more and more about adoption and found out the horrible shit that happens to these kids that cause them to end up in foster care, it really changed the way we thought about it. I'm sure I will be a regular in this thread after he gets here seeking advice, we've been kind of freaking out lately now that it's "real" lol

Man, meeting other parents and even just having other kids interact with Mia is kind of a struggle here. I'll be putting her into day care a few days a week soon so that she can socialize more, but I didn't expect it to be so fruitless taking her to groups occasionally or the park in the meantime. :/

There really is no substitute for constant social interaction. I've noticed the difference with Pete and other kids he interacts with who haven't been in school/daycare yet.

I'm sure she'll take to it rather quickly as she is still really young. Just make someone else do the drop offs ;)

Best of luck, wooo

Oh! Congrats! Keep us posted.

Good on ya! Seriously, that's great. It'll be a helluva challenge, but rewarding and fun. Very interested to hear about how it goes/how you guys find the process.

There really is no substitute for constant social interaction. I've noticed the difference with Pete and other kids he interacts with who haven't been in school/daycare yet.

I'm sure she'll take to it rather quickly as she is still really young. Just make someone else do the drop offs ;)

Best of luck, wooo

Well, it's actually not really her. She's very friendly and is always trying to give stuff to other kids, or interact, or gently touch them. Our experiences have thus far been, however, somewhat unreciprocated? I don't know if it's the area (very clique-y/rich) or the age, but they all have their little groups and haven't really responded at all to her. Makes me kind of sad to see her offering a cracker to a kid who just ignores her and will only talk to his friends right there. :(

Before we put our daughter in preschool any time we went places with kids, park, kids museum, she would just ignore them completely. Even when other kids tried to play with her she didn't want anything to do with them. Honestly, I think that's pretty normal for a child that young.
Once we put her into preschool though, right before she turned 3, she started doing better. It took time, but after a year she now plays with everyone and is perhaps a little too eager lol

As I mentioned above, it's actually the opposite. She's very keen on other kids, but they've barely given her the time of day so far. And the parents are kind of the same. No one's rude exactly, just not...friendly? I've lived here almost a year now and I can count the number of reciprocated conversations I've had with other parents on one hand. They're always in groups or pairs and don't seem to interested in conversing outside those circles. Not too fussed on my end, but sad to see them give Mia the cold shoulder.

At the park the other day a girl just a bit older was on one of those spinning things and Mia wanted to join her, so the mom noticed and kind of absently said, "You should slow down" (to let Mia get on, I presume), and the girl just sniffed and said "No!" Then the mom turned away and went back to chatting with her other friend. Zero eye contact or even a shrug of "kids will be kids." It's been kind of a thing here at the park, the children's center, the playscape place... Tell me this gets a little better in preschool...?

It could be worse. My son's daycare said he scratched another kid.

I visited him there once, and some girl was grabbing his face.

I feel like that's gonna be my kid...

Keri

Just got back from my son's 1-year old exam. He's in the 97th percentile in both height and weight. The good news is, he's super proportional. The bad news is, he wants to be held 100% of the time and my arms are definitely going to fall off, hah. Also, I can't believe how quickly this year has gone. It's not helping that's he's the size of a 2 year old, either. Where has my little baby gone!? At least he's still down for snuggles galore.

Also, I'm super relieved he finally got his MMR shot today. We've had some recent measles outbreaks where I live, so it's a relief to finally get this shot under his belt. Takes some of the pressure and worry away.

At this point I am definitely hoping this kid remains an only child.

At six months, until they hit a decent sleep situation, you can feel like: not just only child, but maybe put this one up for adoption? Then things settle in and around 18 months you're like "this is really nice, we should do this again." Sneaky hormones erasing your memories. Good luck!

Discourse

My 15 year old daughter attended her first music festival without my wife or myself yesterday. She's also started wearing most of my now "vintage" Supreme gear I stopped wearing around 10 years ago. They grow up so fast.

Had a baby girl this morning after 24 hours of labour. Name TBD. Apparently healthy. Quite a set of lungs. Currently enjoy a rousing game of 'why u cry?!!'.

Earlier, grand parents showed off that it is possible to displace our child more than 1cm without crying-- some sort of mind control.

Good luck!

That's why I am publicly airing my intentions now before hormones and sleep deprivation work their magic.

Top Bottom