• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ParentGaf OT: Birth, Bib and Beyond

Fellow parents:

My 9 year old daughter has a weird pain thing where she doesn't feel it like normal kids. She still feels it, but it's delayed and muted to hell. This has led to third degree burns on fingers and walking around on a broken knee for several days.

Today she fell over in a chair, and the chair landed on her wrist. She's very calm, says it hurts, can move it, and her fingers etc. Took her pulse with a blood pressure cuff and it was 141 which is concerning me, but blood pressure was normal.

Am I a bad mom for waiting to see if it swells before taking her to the er?

American of course so a needless er visit could be thousands of dollars

I don't think so, we do the same thing for the same reason.

Media

I don't think so, we do the same thing for the same reason.

That makes me feel better. My youngest son, who is the opposite and an extreme over reactor when it comes to pain, fell down once screamed bloody murder. Got over it quick, drug him around on a big museum and park day, still complained in the morning and I took him for a 'I'm sure it's a sprain' check and he'd broken his arm.

Talk about feeling like THE WORST MOTHER EVER LOL

mrkgoo

Even with free ER and doctor visits for kids here, I tend to wait around as well. IT's no fun dragging a screaming kid to an ER at 2am.

My general rule is to gauge their discomfort level. I guess it would be a lot more concerning is a kid has a weirdly high pain threshold though.

DrSlek

That makes me feel better. My youngest son, who is the opposite and an extreme over reactor when it comes to pain, fell down once screamed bloody murder. Got over it quick, drug him around on a big museum and park day, still complained in the morning and I took him for a 'I'm sure it's a sprain' check and he'd broken his arm.

Same thing happened to my brother in law, but his mum is a nurse. He loves to bring up how much pain he was in and how he now has pins in his elbow.

My 22 month old son got a massive shiner under his eye after having a bad fall at his grandmother's.

I feel absolutely paranoid taking him anywhere now - scared what people will think. :(

And again, this happened with me as a child. Gave myself a black eye by running into a pipe sticking out of the wall of our house. So bad it was swollen shut for a day. Mum got dirty looks when she had to take me shopping.

NewFresh

My 22 month old son got a massive shiner under his eye after having a bad fall at his grandmother's.

I feel absolutely paranoid taking him anywhere now - scared what people will think. :(

My two year old just fell down the stairs a two weeks ago. Had to get a few staples in her head but there was no swelling or head trauma, just the cut that stopped bleeding fairly quickly.

I think most people understand that kids are clumsy and that things happen. Two other parents I know with kids under 5 had have recent trips to the ER for things like falls and trips. I will say that I did get judged pretty hard by a coworker when she heard about it and was asking why my daughter was near stairs.... She's two and can navigate perfectly fine by herself, it only took her one time to get distracted going down the stars for this to happen.

So don't worry about it. People either will not think twice about it or judge silently behind your back.

mrkgoo

My two year old just fell down the stairs a two weeks ago. Had to get a few staples in her head but there was no swelling or head trauma, just the cut that stopped bleeding fairly quickly.

I think most people understand that kids are clumsy and that things happen. Two other parents I know with kids under 5 had have recent trips to the ER for things like falls and trips. I will say that I did get judged pretty hard by a coworker when she heard about it and was asking why my daughter was near stairs.... She's two and can navigate perfectly fine by herself, it only took her one time to get distracted going down the stars for this to happen.

So don't worry about it. People either will not think twice about it or judge silently behind your back.

Yup, gotta get past the silent judgement....just assume it happens, and don't dwell on it.

There's no such thing as the perfect parent.... there are all the rules and guidelines in the world, and we do the best for our kids, but our best is sometimes not good enough. Obviously you don't want one of those times to be a serious accident, so you have to prioritise and make your own judgements.

aliengmr

This happened to me as well, word for word. My son flips the fuck out at the tiniest abrasion but breaks his arm and not a peep. I didn't believe him, until we went and got x-rays. I was floored, I though it was nothing, maybe a crack or sprain, but he broke both bones in his forearm.

So yea, New Parent advice:

If your kid, who normally freaks out at the tiniest scrape, says their arm kinda hurts and they're holding it funny, go get an X-Ray.

Media

This happened to me as well, word for word. My son flips the fuck out at the tiniest abrasion but breaks his arm and not a peep. I didn't believe him, until we went and got x-rays. I was floored, I though it was nothing, maybe a crack or sprain, but he broke both bones in his forearm.

So yea, New Parent advice:

If your kid, who normally freaks out at the tiniest scrape, says their arm kinda hurts and they're holding it funny, go get an X-Ray.
I am so glad I'm not the only one lol. Being a parent is fucking rough sometimes.

emag

Our little one is two and a third now (that's how we refer to ages, right?) and has switched from an in-home daycare to my spouse's workplace daycare, which has many more children (about a dozen). I think that may have played into some regression of language skills, however, as words are being replaced by sounds/grunting in particular situations. I think this may be due, in part, to the lack of clarity in our LO's speaking (inability to pronounce certain phonemes, such as 'st' and "k", so that "sticker" sounds like "ti-er"), which we have no idea how to address this early on.

Is this something other parents here have experienced? Did you just let it pass or take some sort of remedial action (beyond articulating your own words)?

TheContact

Just wanted to share my little guy Luke. 7 weeks old. He has brought many new challenges to our life but also great joy. I will sleep again.....one day.....I think.

RXl7Iv3.jpg

Couple years maybe if you're lucky. It's worse when you have two

We're expecting our second child in January and I'm more scared of this one than the first one. With the first child you expect sleeplessness and all that stuff, but our daughter has been great. She's turning 3 in October and she's been sleeping through the night (9pm to 9am) since she was about a month old, she's been fully potty trained for about 5 months now (only took a few weeks to do that), her talking is way above average for a child her age and generally we have no real issue with her aside from the odd tantrum.

I feel like we've been spoiled and now I'm dreading getting a normal child that actually wakes up throughout the night and shits everywhere.

NewFresh

We're expecting our second child in January and I'm more scared of this one than the first one. With the first child you expect sleeplessness and all that stuff, but our daughter has been great. She's turning 3 in October and she's been sleeping through the night (9pm to 9am) since she was about a month old, she's been fully potty trained for about 5 months now (only took a few weeks to do that), her talking is way above average for a child her age and generally we have no real issue with her aside from the odd tantrum.

I feel like we've been spoiled and now I'm dreading getting a normal child that actually wakes up throughout the night and shits everywhere.

We are in the exact same boat. Expecting November, daughter will be two and a half when the next one comes. We are in such a good groove and have been ever since she was a few months old.

Scared of it all getting wrecked.

My son will be one in November and we have another coming in the middle of January. We're doing a gender reveal party this weekend, but I totally peeked and know we're going to have a girl this time around. At least, I'm pretty sure it's a girl. It was printed on one of the ultrasound pics and I looked at it in the dark and did it quickly while my wife was in the bathroom.

Still, I haven't gotten used to sleeping through the night yet, so this will be a cakewalk.

My little guy. The red shirt one was his first time in a restaurant high chair a few months back.

We officially have 2 weeks to go before our little man arrives, and I'm nervous as hell. I think we've prepared about as much as can be expected, but damn if I'm not waking up in the middle of the night with new worries. I'm sure all this is perfectly normal.

Peagles

Couple years maybe if you're lucky. It's worse when you have two

I'd say a couple of years is unlucky... and a couple of months is lucky.

But then I'm that mum that everyone keeps saying to me "Oh just wait for (bla bla) sleep regression" and they don't happen, so yeh.

mrkgoo

We are in the exact same boat. Expecting November, daughter will be two and a half when the next one comes. We are in such a good groove and have been ever since she was a few months old.

Scared of it all getting wrecked.

The second kid can most definitely ruin your plans. Even if everything goes smoothly, you start losing the time to be able to spend with the older one.

The second one doesn't get all the same pampering and attention the first did and misses out on a bunch of activities available to the first as well.

Keep in mind the attention though, because last you want is jealousy from the older one setting in. Involve them in the baby-rearing. But don't have them assert dominance too much either, like don't say they are the big sister/brother and needs to look over/after the little one as that imprints the idea they are the boss of them lol

Grug

We officially have 2 weeks to go before our little man arrives, and I'm nervous as hell. I think we've prepared about as much as can be expected, but damn if I'm not waking up in the middle of the night with new worries. I'm sure all this is perfectly normal.

As I always tell new parents... it's "hard work" in that it takes a lot of time and effort while tired, but it's not "hard"in the sense that you are calculating orbital trajectories of a space station. So don't worry about preparation or stressing that you've forgotten something.

You will get thrown curveballs all the time but will solve them in the moment with basic common sense. Turn that anxious energy into excitement. Enjoy it!

Media

I was worried about my daughter breaking her arm right? Turned out to be fine as I said. We are moving cross country in a week.....

And I broke my ankle. Lolololol

Fml

Soulfire

I was worried about my daughter breaking her arm right? Turned out to be fine as I said. We are moving cross country in a week.....

And I broke my ankle. Lolololol

Fml

I'm sorry Media :-( I hope things go smoother for you, moving uninjured is hard enough.

Downhome

Our two month old baby girl has her first cold, or first sickness of any sort. It kills me to see her coughing, sneezing and with the runny eyes and nose. I bought a humidifier, baby chest rub and all of that good stuff and it seemed to help her last night. God bless anyone that is having to deal with an actual, really really, sick baby. This breaks my heart enough as it is.

I will say this though. She started sleeping through the night, 6-10 hours, weeks ago. Around one month old. I know that can go backwards and we are prepared for it, but by God were we shocked she she started doing that. We thought it would be forever before we had a full nights sleep.

This was her not long before she got sick.

7XQdTth.jpg

Media

Our two month old baby girl has her first cold, or first sickness of any sort. It kills me to see her coughing, sneezing and with the runny eyes and nose. I bought a humidifier, baby chest rub and all of that good stuff and it seemed to help her last night. God bless anyone that is having to deal with an actual, really really, sick baby. This breaks my heart enough as it is.

I will say this though. She started sleeping through the night, 6-10 hours, weeks ago. Around one month old. I know that can go backwards and we are prepared for it, but by God were we shocked she she started doing that. We thought it would be forever before we had a full nights sleep.

7XQdTth.jpg

How bad is her cough? That young might be worth a trip to the doctor just in case

7XQdTth.jpg

Hope she gets better soon. Just wait til her first ear infection. My guy had a 104 fever and the only thing he wanted to do was hug me.

Downhome

If she’s around other kids on any regular basis, expect a perpetual cold for the rest of her infancy and maybe through toddlerhood.

We don't have her in day care or anything like that, thank goodness.

How bad is her cough? That young might be worth a trip to the doctor just in case

It's actually a lot better today and especially tonight. It looks like she may already be getting over it. That was a rough day or two though.

Hope she gets better soon. Just wait til her first ear infection. My guy had a 104 fever and the only thing he wanted to do was hug me.

Thanks! I can imagine, I know it will happen eventually though. After her first set of shots at 2 months checkup her fever spiked a bit so we got a taste of that whole deal. Ugh.

My son is 2 and my wife doesn't speak anything other than English and French (she's third generation Canadian), but as parents we always get questioned about whether we're teaching our son Chinese, which we don't since we speak English at home, is this so wrong? I see a lot of Chinese immigrant parents in Toronto not even speaking to their children in English, waiting until they go into pre-school, I don't really understand why they're forcing their children into another generation where English is once again their second language.

Found out last week my wife is pregnant and she's 42. We are shocked as we thought it's too late.

Only 6 weeks along and it doesn't help to have the doctor talking about prenatal screening, Down's syndrome and genetic counseling:(

sangreal

My son is 2 and my wife doesn't speak anything other than English and French (she's third generation Canadian), but as parents we always get questioned about whether we're teaching our son Chinese, which we don't since we speak English at home, is this so wrong? I see a lot of Chinese immigrant parents in Toronto not even speaking to their children in English, waiting until they go into pre-school, I don't really understand why they're forcing their children into another generation where English is once again their second language.

Kids learn language like nothing. They'll easily learn English in school

Wish my parents taught me any of their languages as a kid

We speak with our son primarily in English, too. I can do Chinese, but my wife doesn't speak it, so he gets Chinese mostly when he visits Grandma.

theaface

Found out last week my wife is pregnant and she's 42. We are shocked as we thought it's too late.

Only 6 weeks along and it doesn't help to have the doctor talking about prenatal screening, Down's syndrome and genetic counseling:(

Best of luck with it. The way to try and look at it is to be glad that doctors know so much these days that wasn't known years ago, and we have the means to check for things that would otherwise have gone undetected.

My wife and I are at our wit's end.

We have a 3.5 year old daughter and an almost 8 month old son.

Our daughter was never a good sleeper when she was an baby. Would often take an hour plus to get her to fall asleep and then would wake up multiple times throughout the night. The one thing that fixed it was a combination of sleep training + a formula bottle before bed. She was exclusively breast fed + solids at breakfast/dinner until about 10 months old. After that, she started sleeping through the night.

My son was the complete opposite. He was a pro sleeper from birth up until about 2 months ago. Now, he wakes up almost every hour, at most every two. He's not upset, he's not hungry, he just wakes up. He'll go right back to sleep if my wife feeds him or 9/10 if I rock him he'll be out again almost instantly.

Going on two months of this constant cycle of him waking up every night is really draining us. It's gotten to the point where he'll just sleep in bed with my wife and I'll sleep on the couch (I'm a really heavy sleeper so she's afraid I'll roll over on him and never notice it). The problem with that is that if he wakes up, my wife will just nurse him. This puts him back to sleep, but it's obviously a crutch that we need to break.

Anyone have any advice? We've tried everything that books and forums suggest. Even if he cries it out to fall asleep, he'll wake up 1-2 hours later.

I know the root of the problem is that all he's ever known his mom or dad being there when he wakes up, I just don't know how to break him from the crutch of one of us always being there.

Side note, we found out a few months ago he has a lot of (hopefully temporary) food allergies, so we're waiting until he goes back to the allergist next month to see what sort of supplementary formula he can have - otherwise we would have tried a bottle before bed already.

Meantime

We just had our second daughter, my wife is 41 (she had our first the day after her 40th birthday) - it's hard work but certainly not too late :) All the screening stuff is normal and nothing to worry about - usually they'll want to do more screening and keep a closer eye on the mother if she's over 40. Best of luck to you and your wife, I hope it all goes well for you.

JoeNut

Our daughter was never a good sleeper when she was an baby. Would often take an hour plus to get her to fall asleep and then would wake up multiple times throughout the night. The one thing that fixed it was a combination of sleep training + a formula bottle before bed. She was exclusively breast fed + solids at breakfast/dinner until about 10 months old. After that, she started sleeping through the night.

My son was the complete opposite. He was a pro sleeper from birth up until about 2 months ago. Now, he wakes up almost every hour, at most every two. He's not upset, he's not hungry, he just wakes up. He'll go right back to sleep if my wife feeds him or 9/10 if I rock him he'll be out again almost instantly.

Going on two months of this constant cycle of him waking up every night is really draining us. It's gotten to the point where he'll just sleep in bed with my wife and I'll sleep on the couch (I'm a really heavy sleeper so she's afraid I'll roll over on him and never notice it). The problem with that is that if he wakes up, my wife will just nurse him. This puts him back to sleep, but it's obviously a crutch that we need to break.

Anyone have any advice? We've tried everything that books and forums suggest. Even if he cries it out to fall asleep, he'll wake up 1-2 hours later.

I know the root of the problem is that all he's ever known his mom or dad being there when he wakes up, I just don't know how to break him from the crutch of one of us always being there.

Side note, we found out a few months ago he has a lot of (hopefully temporary) food allergies, so we're waiting until he goes back to the allergist next month to see what sort of supplementary formula he can have - otherwise we would have tried a bottle before bed already.

Might be a very simple and overly obvious suggestion, but have you tried a dummy (pacifier in US?)
We didn't have the same problem but have found that when he does wake up, a dummy instantly solves it and he goes back to sleep.

Here's my boy after i got back from a lads weekend holiday wearing my hat

TheContact

So I have a 4 yr old daughter and a 2 yr old son and have sleep issues pretty much their whole lives. My daughter to this day will not sleep in her own bed and still sleeps with us. Up until a couple months ago, so did our son. I would have to lie with him on the floor next to his bed until he fell asleep and ninja sneak away hoping he didn’t wake or he would cry. We have a king sized bed but 4 people including 2 that sleep sideways was not good for us. Ultimately, we put a baby gate up on the door and for a week or so he would stand at the gate and just cry. Sometimes he would cry for about 30 minutes straight. Eventually the crying became less and less and less. Now I can plop him right in his bed, read him a story, and he turns over and goes to sleep even if I leave the room while he’s awake and doesn’t cry. I think this is the only way. My daughter on the other hand, she has a utter meltdown when we tried this.

coopolon

This thread is amazing and I never knew about it until now!

I had a parenting fail this week. Son who just turned Two last week had runny nose Saturday then Sunday was coughing a lot. I could also hear him wheezing. He was as happy as can be though so I was just watching him throughout the day, feeling his forehead regularly.

Then my mom who is a nurse comes over to visit and thinks he might be in trouble. Asks me to take check his respiratory rate...it's like 75! And she points out that he is using accessory muscles to breath. Yikes! So pack him in the car and head to pediatric urgent care (place called kindermender, not sure if it's Maryland only but it's amazing, so much better than normal urgent care if you have kids, highly recommend it). Receptionist takes one look at him and pages the doctor, by this point he is retracting! They give him a nebulizer and some prednisone and he responds immediately and is in good shape within 30 minutes and we are out of there after around an hour (after he started feeling better he noticed all the amazing toys around and didn't want to leave). He is fine since, kept him home Monday just in case but back to daycare yesterday.

I think it's so bizarre how my brain just shut off, I don't know why. I actually have quite a lot of medical training and also had asthma when I was a kid so totally know what to be on lookout for, but for some reason I just assumed it was a cold that didn't need to be worried about. Maybe because in the first six months we overreact to every fever and runny nose, by the time they're two we assume nothing is a big deal? Poor kid.

Ps: on way to urgent care got pulled over by cop for the first time in my life. Missed the exit (I had never been there before) then swerved across shoulder to get it. I think due to lack of history and the fact I explained I was worried about my son, and my 65 year old mother was in the car with me, he just gave me a quick warning.

Story time. On Monday evening, I got a call from my wife while I was at work with her in tears asking if I could come straight home after work instead of going to the gym. I told her of course. Not 5 minutes later, I get another call from her telling me that she's in immense pain and that her doctor wants her to come to labor and delivery right away. I sprinted like a madman to my car, and drove fast as possible (but still being safe) to get home and pick up my wife.

Her due date was supposed to be on the 3rd, but they got my wife admitted and the doctors said she's got preeclampsia, so the baby is getting taken out now with a C-section. An hour later, amid all of the blood, staff, and surgery stuff going on, there was a gasp in the room. I thought something went wrong, but instead it turned out that they were amazed that my son had a head full of strawberry blonde hair, and had never seen such a sight on a biracial baby.

So Parent-GAF, let me introduce you to my son Damian.

7oqeHkY.jpg

Thanks everyone for the advice, support, and suggestions over the last 8-9 months. Both mom and baby are doing fine, but I'm sleep deprived with a very sore back. I already love my little man and can't wait to get him home.

Story time. On Monday evening, I got a call from my wife while I was at work with her in tears asking if I could come straight home after work instead of going to the gym. I told her of course. Not 5 minutes later, I get another call from her telling me that she's in immense pain and that her doctor wants her to come to labor and delivery right away. I sprinted like a madman to my car, and drove fast as possible (but still being safe) to get home and pick up my wife.

Her due date was supposed to be on the 3rd, but they got my wife admitted and the doctors said she's got preeclampsia, so the baby is getting taken out now with a C-section. An hour later, amid all of the blood, staff, and surgery stuff going on, there was a gasp in the room. I thought something went wrong, but instead it turned out that they were amazed that my son had a head full of strawberry blonde hair, and had never seen such a sight on a biracial baby.

So Parent-GAF, let me introduce you to my son Damian.

7oqeHkY.jpg

Thanks everyone for the advice, support, and suggestions over the last 8-9 months. Both mom and baby are doing fine, but I'm sleep deprived with a very sore back. I already love my little man and can't wait to get him home.
Damn look at that head of hair. Congrats and welcome!

bosseye

Possibly hungry? 8 months old and only on milk might mean he's waking up often. My son started doing this when he was 6 months ish having been an awesome sleeper previously; got him onto proper solid food at all meals as well as milk in the evening and he was back to his usual routine very quickly. Full tummy I guess.

Also all the other stuff, maybe needs a nightlight, room temperature too hot/cold, what bed they're in etc. My daughter used to wake herself up all the time in her moses basket wiggling around and hitting the sides so from a couple of weeks old she was in the big cot and slept vastly better.

Hope you sort it out, good luck.

Congratulations! I'm not sure if I've ever seen a newborn with such blond hair, so cool.

Damn look at that head of hair. Congrats and welcome!

We're still trying to figure it out. I'm black, but my wife was apparently born with blonde hair before it turned brown over the years, and her brother has red hair. It really is a sight to see.

Of course I immediately told her that I'm taking her to the Maury show for a DNA test. She and the nurses busted out laughing. They've also been swooning over his head of hair.

Keri

We're still trying to figure it out. I'm black, but my wife was apparently born with blonde hair before it turned brown over the years, and her brother has red hair. It really is a sight to see.

Of course I immediately told her that I'm taking her to the Maury show for a DNA test. She and the nurses busted out laughing. They've also been swooning over his head of hair.

Congratulations! Nurses go nuts over red hair! My mom use to say that when my brother and I were born, the nurses all went nuts that we had red hair and the exact same thing happened when my red headed son was born. It was all: "OH A RED HEAD!"

Prepare yourself for the future! Your son will constantly attract attention from people mesmerized by his gorgeous hair!

Top Bottom