• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patty Jenkins In final negotiations on historic deal to helm ‘Wonder Woman 2'

Theorry

EXCLUSIVE: It’s been over two months since Wonder Woman opened to a staggering $103.2M and went on to gross close to $800M worldwide for Warner Bros. (with Japan yet to bow). The movie, directed by Patty Jenkins, not only re-invigorated DC movies and the studio itself, but became a symbol of strength for women across the country. Now Jenkins is returning to the director’s chair to helm the second film in the franchise that she was so instrumental in starting.

Last month at Comic-Con, the studio confirmed both a sequel with Wonder Woman star Gal Gadot and a release date of Dec. 13, 2019. However, curiously, there was no deal with Jenkins. Why the delay? Because Jenkins — who was lauded repeatedly during the Women in Film Crystal Awards this year by several of its nominees — expects to be paid substantially more and the same as a male director would receive after such a box office coup. That desire was seconds away from becoming a reality on Thursday evening as a deal was being finalized which would elevate her as the highest-paid female director in town.

And why not? Wonder Woman shattered several glass ceilings at the box office, including the best opening ever for a title by a female director and the best global haul for a live-action film directed by a woman as well as the third-highest grossing film in Warner Bros.’ history (behind only Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight series).

Although no payday was revealed, we understand that her payday and deal is in line with any other director who has performed at this level. A studio source said they were “confident the deal will be reached soon.”

Typically, according to sources, a frosh director on a comic book movie gets $1.5M to $3M, while a director in the realm of Zack Snyder (who is helming DC’s Justice League) received $10M against 10% cash break even for his second DC film Man of Steel. (That’s usually paid out as 20% during pre-production, 60% during production, 10% during post and 10% following).

Wonder Woman continues to show that there’s a big demand and big business for female-led tentpoles after Star Wars Force Awakes, Rogue One, and The Hunger Games trilogy.

Jenkins burst on the scene with the critically acclaimed indie film Monster in 2003 — she wrote and directed while Charlize Theron won Best Actress — then directed a number of TV episodes for such shows as Entourage and The Killing before she was hired on for Wonder Woman. She handled the female super-hero film with a deft hand. Wonder Woman will go over $800M worldwide soon as it opens in Japan on Aug. 25.

Jenkins is repped by CAA, Anonymous Content, and attorney Alan Wertheimer at Jackoway Tyerman Wertheimer Austen Mandelbaum Morris & Klein.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/patty-j...ctor-historic-deal-wonder-woman-2-1202151303/

Veelk

Banned
It's kinda blowing my mind that it's taking this long. Usually, studios with WW's financial and critical success are immediately asking "Which part of our souls would you like for this?"

Get that paper, Jenkins. She's got more leverage here than nearly any other director at the moment, might as well take advantage.

I could've sworn it was announced she was returning, officially a while back

wonder what they got plan with the Cold War aspect.

Hydrus

It's kinda blowing my mind that it's taking this long. Usually, studios with WW's financial and critical success are immediately asking "Which part of our souls would you like for this?"

Ehh, isnt the whole DC verse going to shit with maybe another reboot on the way? Not surprised they didnt immediately rush into any deals.

The only way to fuck up wonder woman 2 is:

1) Not pay Gal what she deserves
2) Not pay Patty what she deserves
3) Get in the fookin' way

If they're gonna miss 2, and presumably missed 1 (not very safe to assume, really), then I'm expecting 3 to be the one they shoot for.

Veelk

Banned
Ehh, isnt the whole DC verse going to shit with maybe another reboot on the way? Not surprised they didnt immediately rush into any deals.

No? I mean, the DC verse is going to shit, but it's doing financially well, and franchise continuity doesn't have anything to do with a getting a highly competent director whose just made several landmarks secured in a position for another movie. Especially since that movie IS going to be in continuity, before any reboot comes around.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It feels like they've been playfully sparring with each other for the last month. WB announces Wonder Woman 2 at Comic-Con, but doesn't date it until the following Tuesday, probably to exert some pressure and show that it's happening soon one way or the other. Then two days after that, the news about Patty's deal with TNT to direct that Chris Pine led miniseries.

DeathyBoy

Banned
The only way to fuck up wonder woman 2 is:

1) Not pay Gal what she deserves
2) Not pay Patty what she deserves
3) Get in the fookin' way

If they're gonna miss 2, and presumably missed 1 (not very safe to assume, really), then I'm expecting 3 to be the one they shoot for.

Really?

Wonder Woman is a commercial and critical cal success, and before it's out of threatens you're already going "nah, they'll fuck up the sequel lol."

Nolan was coming hot off the heels of making movies like The Prestige, Insomnia and Memento. What has Jenkins made exactly to warrant this comparison?
Just a hot take of calling Nolan's Batman films inferior to Wonder Woman.

Personally think Batman Begins and TDK are superior films, but they are rather different films to begin with anyways. Glad we have both

IrishNinja

Really?

Wonder Woman is a commercial and critical cal success, and before it's out of threatens you're already going "nah, they'll fuck up the sequel lol."

1) dude literally said those were the only ways
2) WW was goddamn fantastic but an anomaly in DCEU's terrible list so far, so yeah, it's possible they can find a bold new way to disappoint - can't imagine that's a controversial statement

Nolan was coming hot off the heels of making movies like The Prestige, Insomnia and Memento. What has Jenkins made exactly to warrant this comparison?

Wonder Woman

IrishNinja

WW > Batman Begins & Dark Knight Rises, and i'm saying that as someone who really enjoyed Begins

also: Monster was great, as was that episode of Arrested Development

just sayin'

kiri

Not to bad mouth the movie so much in the face of it's obvious popularity, but I'm surprised it's done so well as it really didn't resonate for me.

Congrats Patty/DC. I hope Wonder Woman 2: The Cold Warrior is a huge success

Iunderstandthatreference.gif

its crazy to me that Jenkins couldn't get a film together after the Academy award winning and financially successful Monster. She went 14 years between films (granted, she did do some TV in between). Fourteen. Its like when Kurosawa couldn't get hired to save his life, it was just talent wasting away.

Gol-dern right she should squeeze em' for what she's worth.

Really?

Here's a small list of narrow misses. For every one of those, there was a hit, guaranteed. I don't know what's offensive about the idea that someone high up will have a really stupid idea and try (keyword) to execute on it. Consider it my commentary on how we all make mistakes, and in the case of those whose mistakes are literally visible for millions of viewers to see, well...

I'm not jinxing the next movie, nor am I saying it will be bad. I certainly don't want it to be, as I rather loved the first, in fact. If I didn't, THEN you would see me laughing while trying to predict how they would screw it up.

On a less related note, we can hope this deal goes through the way it should, and it helps prove to movie studios that there's ample reason to trust there's a market and financial incentive to open up more directorial and leading roles for women. Which is not a statement that this is something new, with Wonder Woman, but that it's the next rung up from recently laudable efforts to level the playing field.

Not really. Poster said if they don't fuck up by running off Gal or Patty, they'll meddle with the film. It wasn't an ambiguous post.

Your failure to parse shoot for suddenly became rather obnoxious. Sorry, but I don't follow Yoda's belief that there's no "Try," only "Do or Do Not."

Toa TAK

Banned
Oh hell yes it is.
TDK wasnt even a batman movie. More like a watered down version of heat.
Batman Begins was better than TDK.
TDKR isn't even worth a mention.
Whatever odd, weird, and strangely specific bullshit people are labeling The Dark Knight around here (and it's weird), it ain't worse than Wonder Woman. It's undoubtedly the better film.

I could care less about the other two, since TDK is the best film of the three, anyways.

GhaleonEB

I'm not familiar with the typical turn around for these kind of negotiations, but this feels like it's taken a bit longer than it should given Jenkins' stated desire to direct the sequel so long ago. I hope she gets one hell of a payday.

Better than Begins, TDK and TDKR? Oh boy.

I think WW is a better film than Nolan's Batman films, sure. Not an unreasonable opinion.

They have very different strengths and weaknesses, but I'd put WW above them comfortably. (And I think both Begins and TDK are good films.)

while a director in the realm of Zack Snyder (who is helming DC’s Justice League) received $10M against 10% cash break even for his second DC film Man of Steel

WrHOxbR.gif

Donos

I think WW is a better film than Nolan's Batman films, sure. Not an unreasonable opinion.

They have very different strengths and weaknesses, but I'd put WW above them comfortably. (And I think both Begins and TDK are good films.)

Interesting. Don't agree though but that's what are opinions for. Enjoyed WW but when i left, it didn't last as experience compared to Nolans BM movies.

Overall happy that there is more coming. Would also like if Image Comics material reaches the big screen. Something like Prophet (Tom Cruise pls)

Aaron

Whatever odd, weird, and strangely specific bullshit people are labeling The Dark Knight around here (and it's weird), it ain't worse than Wonder Woman. It's undoubtedly the better film.

I could care less about the other two, since TDK is the best film of the three, anyways.
Nah. The Joker is incredible in TDK. He's killing it in every scene, sometimes literally, but the rest of the movie is kind of shit. Worst Bruce Wayne ever filmed, Two Face is just crammed in there, and the ending is... it's just really dumb. Not to mention that boat scene takes FOREVER.

Wonder Woman should have culled the very beginning with the kid, and trimmed down that twice as long as it should be third act, but otherwise it's great. I didn't even find the villains as weak as some critics thought. I'd probably put Batman Begins above it, but I haven't see it in a while.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Here's a small list of narrow misses. For every one of those, there was a hit, guaranteed. I don't know what's offensive about the idea that someone high up will have a really stupid idea and try (keyword) to execute on it. Consider it my commentary on how we all make mistakes, and in the case of those whose mistakes are literally visible for millions of viewers to see, well...

I'm not jinxing the next movie, nor am I saying it will be bad. I certainly don't want it to be, as I rather loved the first, in fact. If I didn't, THEN you would see me laughing while trying to predict how they would screw it up.

On a less related note, we can hope this deal goes through the way it should, and it helps prove to movie studios that there's ample reason to trust there's a market and financial incentive to open up more directorial and leading roles for women. Which is not a statement that this is something new, with Wonder Woman, but that it's the next rung up from recently laudable efforts to level the playing field.

Your failure to parse shoot for suddenly became rather obnoxious. Sorry, but I don't follow Yoda's belief that there's no "Try," only "Do or Do Not."

You're still making proclamations that they'll find some way to fuck ip the sequel. Before it's even dneteted production. And the best part is you're doing this in relation to a film preaching optimism in the face of the most cynical of situations. I mean the central message of WW is that even when things look the darkest, there's hope.

So I don't know how you watch and enjoy that film, then less than half a year later go "oh, WB will meddle with the sequel."

ZeoVGM

Banned
Not really. Poster said if they don't fuck up by running off Gal or Patty, they'll meddle with the film. It wasn't an ambiguous post.

He's talking in the hypothetical idea that if they decided not to pay Jenkins, then they would likely end up fucking it up.

He's saying the only way it could be fucked up is if they lost her. That isn't exactly a crazy idea. Not sure why you're getting defensive over it.

You're still making proclamations that they'll find some way to fuck ip the sequel. Before it's even dneteted production. And the best part is you're doing this in relation to a film preaching optimism in the face of the most cynical of situations. I mean the central message of WW is that even when things look the darkest, there's hope.

So I don't know how you watch and enjoy that film, then less than half a year later go "oh, WB will meddle with the sequel."

I cannot understand why you are so offended. Nor fail to understand the meaning of the word try.

The rest of this is really reaching, as if loving an optimistic movie suddenly makes me allergic to gallows humor and forces me to bear its ideals like a cross upon my back... Is something being lost in translation here?

For those wondering why it has taken so long: This likely isn't just a deal for one movie.

Makes sense. Gal Gaddot had a contract for 3 movies (BvS, WW, JL), right? I don't follow movie production very closely, and assume that's typical for actors (at least in the comic book movie genre).

For those wondering why it has taken so long: This likely isn't just a deal for one movie.

I can also see there being some hesitation on WB's part to pay her that much money because she's only done 2 feature films. But I don't think they had much of a choice here, either.

Top Bottom