• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Game Pass save game grief! Save files gone..

Hohenheim

So I've been playing Harold Halibut on PC Game Pass on my Legion Go, and last night I played for three hours and got pretty close to the end (I think).
Today I was gonna finish it, and noticed that I had to log on Game Pass when starting the app. This happens sometimes, as the app seems to have some issues from time to time, but I didn't think much about it.

Then, when starting the game and clicking continue, the game starts where I started last night! All my playtime from last night gone.. that fuckin' sucks!
Anyone here experienced this? And if so, do you know any way to get the latest savefile back from the cloud saves? I can't seem to find much about this when googling, and would love to be able to finish the game.

Definitly not playing the same huge chunk of the game again, so alternatively i'll watch the rest on YouTube..
This game is pretty much just walking around and triggering dialogue, so watching the rest on youtube is not totally fucked, but had it been a challenging rpg or some challenging stuff, it would been really, really bad...
Definitly not trusting PC Game Pass again after this if there's no way to fix it.

On a side note, I played with the Legion Go docked to the TV yesterday (connected to cabled internet), and when starting up today I played handheld with wi-fi. But cannot believe how that should make a difference.

Very grateful if anyone here can help!

graywolf323

honestly that’s partially why even though I have a GPU sub still (set to expire in June) I mostly just buy the games I’m interested on Steam even if they are on PC Game Pass, I have a ROG Ally so I could play them that way if I wanted to but the app is still hot garbage

better to just spend the money to get the solid Steamworks implementation instead

Hohenheim

honestly that’s partially why even though I have a GPU sub still (set to expire in June) I mostly just buy the games I’m interested on Steam even if they are on PC Game Pass, I have a ROG Ally so I could play them that way if I wanted to but the app is still hot garbage

better to just spend the money to get the solid Steamworks implementation instead
Yeah, after this totally fucked experience I think i'm gonna do the same. I use Steam most of the time anyways, but like GP for discovering games I wouldn't normally buy (like Harold Halibut).
But now i'm always gonna worry about the horror of losing lots of progress because of this shit.
Was gonna play Persona 3 Reload on there, but if shit like this can happen.. well, no way am I gonna play a huge rpg like that, with a risk of losing lots of progress.

Based on your reply, I guess you didn't find a solution when this happened to you?

Hohenheim

Launcher is fine… but the Windows Store backend is a piece of crap and has been since Win 8.

Can’t trust it basically. Will it kill save games, will it decide not to update, will it not empty disk cache on delete, etc…
So this shit just randomly happens? I've been using PC Game Pass for a couple of years (about 4-5 games a year), and it's been fine until this shitty experience, but it's hard to trust a app where stuff like this can happen.. at least if it's no fix for it!

nush

Launcher is fine… but the Windows Store backend is a piece of crap and has been since Win 8.

Can’t trust it basically. Will it kill save games, will it decide not to update, will it not empty disk cache on delete, etc…

Your save files..

8133256-gifit_1630745163675.gif

StereoVsn

So this shit just randomly happens? I've been using PC Game Pass for a couple of years (about 4-5 games a year), and it's been fine until this shitty experience, but it's hard to trust a app where stuff like this can happen.. at least if it's no fix for it!
Yep, it’s pretty random.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
When you were launching, did you by chance get a prompt about a time mismatch between your local save and the save found over cloud?

You may have accidentally clicked the cloud save which the game then proceeded to use.

Hohenheim

When you were launching, did you by chance get a prompt about a time mismatch between your local save and the save found over cloud?

You may have accidentally clicked the cloud save which the game then proceeded to use.
Nope, no prompt or warning. But I had to log on to the app, which I normally don't have to.. but I can't believe how that would fuck up my savefile.

graywolf323

I never had the save file thing happen but I did have it eat up a bunch of space where eventually the only solution was to do a clean install of Windows 😑

I think they’ve eventually fixed that buggy behavior? but by the time they did I was hearing the other horror stories and decided there was no point using it further, at most I treat Game Pass as a way to demo something but not to seriously play it, if I’m enjoying it after an hour or two I then stop & buy it on Steam instead

King Dazzar

Ha! Funny enough I was cursing MS earlier on today. So I've been using my Elite Series 2 on PS5. But decided I'd remap one of the onboard controller profiles. So I plug the controller into my PC. Load up the Xbox Accessories app and none of my profiles are there. Everything else on the app works fine and fully detects my controller. Then unplug the controller, close the app. And repeat the same process identically. This time all my profiles show.

Its just flaky shit.

Everything else works fine. But, yeah.....

graywolf323

That is not the only solution.
at the time that ended up being the only solution that worked, this was years ago and none of the other methods were freeing the space up

I work in IT, the Windows Store backend has been complete garbage for years and they’ve barely improved it, basically there’s no good reason to install things that way if there’s an alternative & sadly PC Game Pass is hampered by it

edit: though my worst experience still remains the time Ubuntu borked my entire boot partition forcing me to have to clean install everything 😒 only good thing was I had another computer at the time so I was able to pull off the files from my Windows partition first instead of losing it all

having to do a clean install isn’t the worst thing if you are tech savvy, it’s more of an annoyance, but that doesn’t mean having that experience makes me want to go through the hassle of dealing with the software that led to that

Last edited:

GHG

Yeah I canceled my sub because the launcher is a flaming piece of dogshit and they seem like they’re never gonna fix it

Ditto.

Just buy what you want for steam, use https://gg.deals/ and save yourself the stress/hassle.

That is not the only solution.

It is the only solution for a number of issues with the launcher. For example I still have gears tactics stuck installed on my C drive and it refuses to delete no matter what I do with the client. The only solution apparently is to do a fresh install, so fuck that, it can stay and I can work around it from a space management perspective.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
at the time that ended up being the only solution that worked, this was years ago and none of the other methods were freeing the space up

I work in IT, the Windows Store backend has been complete garbage for years and they’ve barely improved it, basically there’s no good reason to install things that way if there’s an alternative & sadly PC Game Pass is hampered by it

edit: though my worst experience still remains the time Ubuntu borked my entire boot partition forcing me to have to clean install everything 😒 only good thing was I had another computer at the time so I was able to pull off the files from my Windows partition first instead of losing it all

having to do a clean install isn’t the worst thing if you are tech savvy, it’s more of an annoyance, but that doesn’t mean having that experience makes me want to go through the hassle of dealing with the software that led to that

Ditto.

Just buy what you want for steam, use https://gg.deals/ and save yourself the stress/hassle.

It is the only solution for a number of issues with the launcher. For example I still have gears tactics stuck installed on my C drive and it refuses to delete no matter what I do with the client. The only solution apparently is to do a fresh install, so fuck that, it can stay and I can work around it from a space management perspective.
If taking ownership of the games folders doesn't work, boot a Linux trial and delete through there.

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The irony.

Sorry, but my time can be better spent elsewhere, regardless of whether that's business or pleasure.

They should fix their shit. That would be the best solution for everyone.
Of course they should fix, but until there it is far less trouble and time consuming than resetting/reinstalling Windows all again.

Last edited:

Holammer

Played some Triple Town today, last time I played it was back in 2018. Save with progress was intact thanks to steam cloud, Gaben protects.

nikos

Sounds like you probably overwrote the local save with an older cloud save. Not the launcher's fault.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Everytime I end a gaming session I like waiting for a few seconds before closing Steam/GP/whatever, just to make sure it uploads the saves to the cloud and avoid future issues.

Shit sucks OP, my condolences.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Sounds like you probably overwrote the local save with an older cloud save. Not the launcher's fault.
Well, I for sure did not do that.
In order to to something like that, I would have to actually do something. I just opened the app and started the game as I always do.

Buggy Loop

I subscribed for like 2 years when gamepass PC was early and there was a huge deal

I used maybe 3 months

Uninstalled that piece of shit. Back then it could not let you in any way delete a game from your SSD, no tool could do the job, it had to be formatted. I NOPE'd the fuck out.

edit, GHG GHG I see he got hit with that shit, wow. Still today there's no solutions available? After all this time?

Last edited:

Oppoi

Game Pass is worth it though! Not in the long run, no... but! It's worth it, right now if you don't think about it!

GHG

I subscribed for like 2 years when gamepass PC was early and there was a huge deal

I used maybe 3 months

Uninstalled that piece of shit. Back then it could not let you in any way delete a game from your SSD, no tool could do the job, it had to be formatted. I NOPE'd the fuck out.

edit, GHG GHG I see he got hit with that shit, wow. Still today there's no solutions available? After all this time?

Still nothing other than the Linux workaround rodrigolfp rodrigolfp mentioned AFAIK.

winjer

Gold Member
I got 2 years of gamepass ultimate, and ut was good for a handful of games. But there were times when I would go months without playing anything on it.
But the worst part us how many issues there are with the Xbox app. Problems login in. Problems starting games. Problems with authentication. Updates for games that are released for Steam version, but then takes days or weeks to be available on the Xbox app version.
And then there are the limitations with uwp...

My subscription ends this next June. I will not be renewing it.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm generally a PC whiner, and I have had very little issues with the xbox launcher, or the game saves. But I don't play it a lot, so maybe that's it.
My general consensus is that all PC launchers have issues at one time or another. Ok Epic games is way worse with its crap anti cheat.

Top Bottom