• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming will never be taken seriously until it fixes the bs

I did, right here, in very plain language:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87837958&postcount=975

Further, the starting point of this entire conversation was this post, where you argued that the PC is not the biggest gaming platform in the world:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87835393&postcount=969

You now seem to be conceding that yes, PC Gaming is indeed the biggest gaming platform in the world, that it is bigger than all the home consoles put together, and is just 15% smaller than PS3+3DS+DS+Vita+PSP+Wii+360 combined.
The word home doesn't even show up in your post. Thats the only thing plain. I defined consoles as console products released by console manufacturers. Not seeing where the disconnect is??

Further more, 15% isn't a trivial number at all and billions of dollars is no small amount of money.

Leb

The word home doesn't even show up in your post. Thats the only thing plain. I defined consoles as console products released by console manufacturers. Not seeing where the disconnect is??

If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts; if you have the numbers on your side, pound the numbers; if you have neither the facts nor the numbers, reframe the argument so as to make it appear as though your new argument was your original argument all along.

Faustek

Source required.

And when your console is up to date and you don't have a PC that boots from an SSD, you can get into the game pretty damn fast as well. Bias, how does it work?

Where is your proof?

Well proof was posted but to make it easier.

WoW, $14 a month, between 1.5 up to 12 down to 7 million subscribers every year(It's been dwindling every year since it's peak) during it's lifetime, do the math, sit down realize that this this dwarves everything console developers dream about.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/276601/number-of-world-of-warcraft-subscribers-by-quarter/

He's joking. Here's how this conversations typically go:

Person A: PC Gaming is a niche.
Person B: Actually PC Gaming isn't niche; it's the single largest platform in the industry by revenue.
Person A: Well, I just meant hardcore games. I don't care about casual games.
Person B: Even then, the PC is huge. Hardcore Chinese and Korean players provide enormous revenue via MMOs, MOBAs, and other genres.
Person A: Well, I just meant Western Hardcore games.
Person B: Even then, indie games on PC are flourishing. Indies have a much stronger presence on PC than they do any console. The same could be said of MMOs.
Person A: Well, I just mean big budget, Western Hardcore games that aren't MMOs.

And at that point, the argument would probably be correct: consoles are bigger in that specific arena. And for some people, the big budget western blockbuster is all that matters or comprises something like 90% of their game time, so the enormous number of indie games or Chinese MMOs or casual browser games are essentially invisible to them.

From their perspective, consoles really are bigger, as long as all the stuff they don't personally care about doesn't exist. But first you have to pin people down so they realize they are creating a very specific frame of reference.

Will keep that in mind. Coming from a very PC oriented environment so we never had these around.

Opiate

Please, don't be obtuse -- virtually everyone says "handhelds" when they mean handhelds, "consoles" when they mean consoles, and "PC" when they mean PC. You can't genuinely believe a comparison between PS3+360+Wii+3DS+PSP+DS+PSVita vs. PC is reasonable. More importantly, this doesn't even address DLMN8R's post, which I suppose you are conceding by omission, and which was the premise for this entire discussion.

If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts; if you have the numbers on your side, pound the numbers; if you have neither the facts nor the numbers, reframe the argument so as to make it appear as though your new argument was your original argument all along.

Help me out here, what are you alluding to?

Shambles

The disconnect is you're trying to define a word by the word itself. The only people that treat handhelds like consoles are the ones that were desperately hoping the DS would outsell the PS2. Only a crazy person would try to convince others that a stationary device built around multiple players with a detached display and detached controls is similar to another device that's half the price, a quarter of the power that is built to be used on the go for a single person. You might as well start counting these as consoles while you're at it.

Digimon.png

idk, ps3 needs updates quite often... or at the very least psn store does.

not entirely sure why i always needa go to the store first to get my preorder dlc. why not let me do it in game?

pc gaming is great for 1 thing. i can buy a game off steam at work, and have it dl on my home pc right away. by the time i'm home i can play it. Is this promised for next gen?

Faustek

Consoles? The same ones that I have specified and even brought numbers to justify?

Are you trolling or can't you read? Serious question. Because "proof" has been posted a few times now. Or are you serious in that you want every form of console bundled, handheld included, together in a cage match against PC?

idk, ps3 needs updates quite often... or at the very least psn store does.

not entirely sure why i always needa go to the store first to get my preorder dlc. why not let me do it in game?

pc gaming is great for 1 thing. i can buy a game off steam at work, and have it dl on my home pc right away. by the time i'm home i can play it. Is this promised for next gen?

yes, at least Sony App has promised this. Think you need PS+ for it and I reckon Microsoft will have similar feature.

Opiate

Okay, this is a tautology, so I will help you be more specific.. You are defining:

PS3
PSP
PSVita
DS
3DS
Wii
Wii U

As a single platform? I don't believe any reasonable person would suggest this qualifies as a "platform" in any meaningful sense. I mean, you might be able to get away with PS3/360 as a unified platform. Maybe.

But only an ideologically driven person would remotely suggest that such disparate platforms could reasonably be unified in to one whole: in fact, I'd argue the only reason anyone would do so is to try and win an argument they are desperately losing.

Cipherr

The things you identify are problems and should be fixed, but I think you are maybe overstating their prevalence based on one or two bad experiences. Case in point:

Arkham City is a relatively poor GFWL port hastily patched to remove GFWL. That it has hardware or software compatibility issues on a go-forward basis is not that surprising. It's a bummer. It's a problem. But it's not the average case.

Thank you....

Skyrim has severe issues on PS3? "F You Bethesda"

Arkham City has issues on PC? "THE ENTIRETY OF PC GAMING SUCKS!"

Ridiculous agenda driven logic.

Are you trolling or can't you read? Serious question. Because "proof" has been posted a few times now. Or are you serious in that you want every form of console bundled, handheld included, together in a cage match against PC?

yes, at least Sony App has promised this. Think you need PS+ for it and I reckon Microsoft will have similar feature.

Because PC is this singular, unified classification of gaming machine with zero room for inference?

Okay, this is a tautology, so I will help you be more specific.. You are defining:

PS3
PSP
PSVita
DS
3DS
Wii
Wii U

As a single platform? I don't believe any reasonable person would suggest this qualifies as a "platform" in any meaningful sense. I mean, you might be able to get away with PS3/360 as a unified platform. Maybe.

But only an ideologically driven person would remotely suggest that such disparate platforms could reasonably be unified in to one whole: in fact, I'd argue the only reason anyone would do so is to try and win an argument they are desperately losing.

And I'd argue that the only reason someone would be as painfully obtuse is to save face in an argument that they lost..

spliced

PC gaming is like using a VCR. Sometimes they work right but a lot of times you end up fooling around with it so much it saps all the enjoyment out of what you're gonna do.

Console gaming is like a PVR, way more convenient and reliable.

Opiate

Because PC is this singular, unified classification of gaming machine with zero room for inference?

It is defined specifically in the study device which runs Windows or which can run Windows. In other words, it's any device with access to the huge, 30+ year history of games on Windows (with some exceptions in some rare cases, of course).

By contrast, even the two most similar platforms in your list -- PS3 and 360 -- cannot play a single one of each other's games, or even potentially play each other's games. This is before we get to comparisons between, say, the DS and PS3.

Opiate

And I'd argue that the only reason someone would be as painfully obtuse is to save face in an argument that they lost..

Your argument simply does not stand up to reason. As stated, you're obviously wrong and are flailing by combining PS3+PSVita+PSP+DS+3DS+Wii+Wii U + 360 in to a single "platform," as if that has any real substantive meaning.

Almost none of these platforms can play the games of another platform. Most have hugely disparate libraries (e.g. DS and PS3, Wii and 360) with hugely different input methods.

By any rational definition, this is only a "platform" if you are desperate to uphold a position in an argument.

Shambles

Well done, you got me. For a while I thought you were being serious.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Then how is your post relevant to the thread topic?
If you wana have a go at bad unfinished lazy ports and games then i'll be happy to grab a torch and join you in a thread about that.

You posted these arguments so I assumed you were talking about how they make pc less attractive compared to console gaming.
Sorry if I misunderstood you.

You need to chill, my post was in reply to someone that enjoyed tinkering with stuff.

I addressed that in my post. Nothing in my posts mention console ports. Yes, pretty much universally console ports run better on my PC than on my 360/PS3. I didn't mention it, because it doesn't matter.. it's a universal truth that on a decent PC it'll play console ports better than a console. As it should, the hardware is better on the PC front than old consoles at this juncture.

If you read my post instead of just spewing a bunch of crap that had nothing to do with my post you'd understand what I said.

I love PC gaming, I hate when it doesn't work without going online to find obtuse solutions to problems. That side of PC gaming always get's glossed over in these discussions.

Some people don't give a shit about 1080p/60FPS enough to bother with any technical hassles.

Loading, updates, etc.. that are no brainer easy shit to deal with on consoles. Sure it might take longer, sure you are wasting time... but you ain't doing a damn thing but waiting.

When issues pop up on a PC you have to dig around and find solutions.

If you can't see the difference between those 2 things, that's your problem.. not mine.

I don't look down on anyone who doesn't want to deal with some of the strange issues that happen with PC's. The people who do look down on console gamers who don't want to deal with the issues says more about the person looking down, than the person who just plays on a console.

You can downplay the issues all you want, but they still exist.. and yes.. like many posters have mentioned.. shit was even more of a pain in the ass back in the day.. messing with .ini's, autoexec.. most of that stuff is gone in modern day gaming.. but issues still do exist.

dsiOne

Banned
My favorite part is that even when you stack up every console and hand-held console up against PC, they still just barely eek out ahead in revenue. Absolutely hilarious.

Then there's the handheld PCs that are our phones, all based either on Linux or Windows...

Leb

stand down king pyrrhus, iamshadowlark has earned your crown.

Things were going reasonably well for the Coalition until Opiate joined the fray; now the army is routed and fleeing, and its standard bearer lies bloodied and broken upon the field.

Truly a battle for the history books.

At this point its all for the sake of argument. PC is by and large a single software platform, Windows (I hope that will change but let's not kid ourselves about what this is).

It has more revenue than any console. Or even all the consoles.

Now, once you combine every single gaming platform that isn't a phone or tablet (which, by the logic of including handhelds, means personal multifunction devices like those should go to PC numbers, but we'll ignore that for now) you get a sizable increase over total PC gaming dollars.

So what are we left with? PC gaming is still ABSOLUTELY FUCKING ENORMOUS.

Case closed.
Windows? What about the dozens of configurations of hardware that encompass "PC"? What about laptops which are A)portable and B)the most common form of PC sold.

When you try to combine a platform as vast as PC into a singular catch-all term, you imply that you want to discuss said platform in the macrosense. And its only reasonable to talk about consoles in the macro sense. The fact that Opiate and whoever else is hanging their head on such a semantical and superficial definition leads me to believe the actual discussion point is shallow.

dsiOne

Banned
Windows? What about the dozens of configurations of hardware that encompass "PC"? What about laptops which are A)portable and B)the most common form of PC sold.

When you try to combine a platform as vast as PC into a singular catch-all term, you imply that you want to discuss said platform in the macrosense. And its only reasonable to talk about consoles in the macro sense. The fact that Opiate and whoever else is hanging their head on such a semantical and superficial definition leads me to believe the actual discussion point is shallow.

Cool then lets talk on the macro sense...

Consoles vs PCs: PC is bigger.

Consoles and console derivatives (handhelds) vs PCs and PC derivatives (phones): PC and its derivatives still are bigger.

Your argument simply does not stand up to reason. As stated, you're obviously wrong and are flailing by combining PS3+PSVita+PSP+DS+3DS+Wii+Wii U + 360 in to a single "platform," as if that has any real substantive meaning.

Almost none of these platforms can play the games of another platform. Most have hugely disparate libraries (e.g. DS and PS3, Wii and 360) with hugely different input methods.

By any rational definition, this is only a "platform" if you are desperate to uphold a position in an argument.

SMFH. Are you serious right now? Can I pull out my old 486 and load some Crysis on it? Or will I have to buy several generations forward hardware? Could I use my old pentium pro computer with the 56k connection and jump on WOW? PC has never been a unified platform in most any sense. Several PC gamers went to various lengths to defend that in this very thread. But now its a catch-all in the face of a weak argument?

patapuf

This is a discussion about software, not hardware though. While there are countless configurations for PC's "Windows gaming" is a sensible catch all term.

The DS and say, the PS3 are different on a hardware, OS, game library and input level. Windows PC's/laptop just differ in specs. Every windows game works on any windows machine provided you have the hardware power.

Tain

animlboogy said:
LEMME BE SERIOUS FOR A SEC

And you're totally right.

For the most part, by most people's standards, PCs make it more convenient to play older console games. Raise the standards a bit higher and you'll run into people who go out of their way to play on real hardware (this is me), and that demands serious time and money and space. Far more effort than emulating on a PC. Far more than playing PC-native games with mods or tweaks or whatever. Even if you're just talking newer consoles, you still have bullshit like region-locking making you buy multiple nearly-identical machines!

I do think that, for those that aren't as into games as I am, one or two consoles would be best. Way more fitting for them than a PC, even. But for those that are big enough enthusiasts to post on GAF? I'd expect most people here could get serious mileage out of a PC. And that's saying nothing of those that are serious enough to need a ton of platforms.

Enthusiasts will enthuse, whether that's making mods or hunting down X68000 games.

Faustek

he people who do look down on console gamers who don't want to deal with the issues says more about the person looking down, than the person who just plays on a console. .

Just speaking for myself here.
I don't really look down in the sense of people refusing to "maintain" a PC as stupid. I Do look down in them in the sense that they are Refusing to learn because it's "hard"
I respect the fact that some can't afford it or if they just plainly admit that they are afraid of the hassle or just not willing. Because a well maintained PC is already updated when you wake up or in the process of downloading said update.

I will not go into how to maintain HKLM or any "serious" things. Those are best left for us who actually know what we're doing or at least have the sense to backup what we hold precious.

LEMME BE SERIOUS FOR A SEC

For all the talk of conveniences in this thread... I can play 90% of the consoles there on a midrange PC from four years ago. Using real discs and carts with some cheap USB hardware assistance. As well as all the portables not pictured, although I must admit I've never tried emulating Lynx games.

So what's convenience? Setting up a monolith like that? Or spending a few hours configuring a nice frontend to launch all of those games from one PC?

I'm saying this as a person who used to maintain a monolith like that. I don't drop good games from other eras. So it was either config a PC to play those games on, or not play them at all.

To me, that's convenience. But I'm not the type to just play the latest thing. I'm on MAME, I'm playing old DOS games, I'm enjoying Ultima VII like its brand new. I'm playing PS2 games, NES games, Wii games... And yes, I'm playing console ports like Deus Ex: HR and Sleeping Dogs.

It's wonderful right? :)

You missed my last point. Which is, outside of proving that you're right -- which you are -- that platforms as disparate as 3DS and PS3 are larger than PC when combined, in the end it means very little. Even without combining personal Computing devices as a whole like you have with every gaming device under the sun (if different platforms can combine, iPhones are more like PCs than consoles), PC is bigger for gaming than any of them individually, and these are all games running on Windows, games that have forwards and backwards compatibility with each other...

So what's your point? If you mention GTA5 I will leap out of a very tall building.

I don't count phones and tablets as anything but phones and tablets. They exist as platforms whose main functions aren't gaming or anything close and don't get brought up. We're talking dedicated gaming devices and I believe you can throw PC in that group with far more justification than you can iphones.

There was no grand point, other than PC gaming not being the biggest platform.

Top Bottom