• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

TJP

Stylin' n' profilin'!
giphy.gif

Woo! One question - is it showing up as full res for you? Because it's pretty pixelated up close here...

I haven't seen it in person yet.

It's possible Ark was working on the old 1024 template. Ark, it you can, upload the .psd somewhere and I'll take a look at it. I think it should be fairly straightforward to double the rez of the template, and all the textures. I think.. Will look into it.

Yeah I thought that might be the case. It might be easy if it has been made with vectors or if the original file is a higher quality raster... otherwise possibly not!

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody remember what was the issues F1 2014 had specifically?

Like I said yesterday I'm in the mood for playing through a career right now but I don't want to go back to the old F1 games cause I hate having to deal with both DRS and KERS while driving...but unless I'm mistaken, in F1 2014 the ERS is automatic so I would only have to deal with DRS.

I remember that people were bitching about the game when it came out but I can'T remember the specifics.

That's right, you only need to activate DRS.

F1 2014 was a perfectly serviceable entry - people bitched about it because it was essentially a content update, but that's nothing unusual in the world of yearly sports games. They also removed the Classic content, which was a shame. They also 'dumbed down' the gamepad controls, presumably to compensate for the increased torque that makes the rears much more lively and potentially difficult to control with a gamepad. A sensible thing to do, but they were heavy-handed, making it feel pretty lifeless. With a wheel you won't have that problem.

Otherwise it was just like F1 2013 really, so it mostly depends on whether you get on with the new cars. They're more challenging to drive smoothly, but they don't sound as nice, and I got the impression that the new characteristics didn't suit the physics engine as much as the V8s.

In terms of working through a season, they've got you covered - it's pretty fun, with the AI being a bit easy but not frustrating.

Megasoum

Banned
That's right, you only need to activate DRS.

F1 2014 was a perfectly serviceable entry - people bitched about it because it was essentially a content update, but that's nothing unusual in the world of yearly sports games. They also removed the Classic content, which was a shame. They also 'dumbed down' the gamepad controls, presumably to compensate for the increased torque that makes the rears much more lively and potentially difficult to control with a gamepad. A sensible thing to do, but they were heavy-handed, making it feel pretty lifeless. With a wheel you won't have that problem.

Otherwise it was just like F1 2013 really, so it mostly depends on whether you get on with the new cars. They're more challenging to drive smoothly, but they don't sound as nice, and I got the impression that the new characteristics didn't suit the physics engine as much as the V8s.

In terms of working through a season, they've got you covered - it's pretty fun, with the AI being a bit easy but not frustrating.

All right sounds great. I'll probably give this a try.

Spooneh

Neo Member
I realise this is the Racing Sim thread and my question borders on the arcade but who better to ask!

I'm looking for a decent racer that is very easy to use or set up with a controller, be it 360 pad or ps4 pad. I did mess about with 360 controller drivers but that was a massive pain in the bum and my settings were lost on a computer reformat.

Is there any decent racing game (I'd prefer sim), that will just work straight out of the box with a controller?

In the past I have played live for speed and iracing. I can't get a wheel right now but obviously I know that is where I'd have to head,

Seanspeed

Banned
I realise this is the Racing Sim thread and my question borders on the arcade but who better to ask!

I'm looking for a decent racer that is very easy to use or set up with a controller, be it 360 pad or ps4 pad. I did mess about with 360 controller drivers but that was a massive pain in the bum and my settings were lost on a computer reformat.

Is there any decent racing game (I'd prefer sim), that will just work straight out of the box with a controller?

In the past I have played live for speed and iracing. I can't get a wheel right now but obviously I know that is where I'd have to head,
Windows comes with 360 drivers built-in nowadays. There should be no issues with it and many racing games(as well as most games in general) have support out of the box.

Games like F1 2013 and Grid Autosport will work just fine with a controller. Not really sims, but its more on the realistic side. Assetto Corsa has decent controller support but you'll probably want to tweak the in-game settings a bit to get it how you like it. And Project Cars will definitely have controller support. I imagine most racing games will, its mainly just a matter of how good the implementation is.

Ark

I haven't seen it in person yet.

It's possible Ark was working on the old 1024 template. Ark, it you can, upload the .psd somewhere and I'll take a look at it. I think it should be fairly straightforward to double the rez of the template, and all the textures. I think.. Will look into it.

I just downloaded the template from the iRacing painter, where do I find the high res version?

It should be too difficult to up-res it as you say, but now I feel dumb :D

I just downloaded the template from the iRacing painter, where do I find the high res version?

No, it's totally not your fault. Blame the poor moderating, and iRacing forums in general for not keeping things up to date.

I have a copy of the hi-rez templates, and a few of the GAF logos & text in my dropbox. I'm zipping them up, and uploading them to mediafire for you now. EDIT: Link

Spooneh

Neo Member
Windows comes with 360 drivers built-in nowadays. There should be no issues with it and many racing games(as well as most games in general) have support out of the box.

Games like F1 2013 and Grid Autosport will work just fine with a controller. Not really sims, but its more on the realistic side. Assetto Corsa has decent controller support but you'll probably want to tweak the in-game settings a bit to get it how you like it. And Project Cars will definitely have controller support. I imagine most racing games will, its mainly just a matter of how good the implementation is.

Alright, I did have my eyes on Project Cars was hoping to get my fix somewhere else. I will just plug in my controller and see which one gives me the thrill. Thank you.

Ark

No, it's totally not your fault. Blame the poor moderating, and iRacing forums in general for not keeping things up to date.

I have a copy of the hi-rez templates, and a few of the GAF logos & text in my dropbox. I'm zipping them up, and uploading them to mediafire for you now. EDIT: Link

Awesome, thanks a lot. I'll have a look at how difficult it'll be when I finish work tonight.

Oh, hey wait. You download them from the paint section of the website (not forum)? Those are the hi-rez versions. Hmmm, maybe there is something else going on...

Raptomex

So I recently got a Logitech G27 wheel and I'm thinking of building my own stand. I looked at stands and play seats and I really don't need anything too fancy. Just something to keep the equipment steady. Attaching it to my desk for PC racers worked somewhat but it wasn't that comfortable and using my cheap, plastic table for console racing (TV) was not stable at all. I'm willing to build my own little metal stand or get something cheap that works. So my questions are where can I get materials pr a cheap stand and can I buy them retail somewhere? Just something allowing me to sit in a chair and play.

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody has good settings for the Thrustmaster TX in F1 2014?

The best I could find on google was T500 settings for 2013 and it's really weird in game.

Sometimes I have way too much FFB (super heavy auto centering and the steering is super twitchy) or no FFB at all...

Really weird.

Ark

Oh, hey wait. You download them from the paint section of the website (not forum)? Those are the hi-rez versions. Hmmm, maybe there is something else going on...

I'm not sure anymore tbh, but I've found the 2048 template and, yeah, I used the 1024 template. It shouldn't take me more than 3-5 hours to up-res and re-do some parts of the paint, which I'll do tomorrow and maybe Saturday morning if I have to.

By the way, what driving schedule are you guys happy with? Personally I can drive whenever, and I'm more than happy to start the race.

I'm not sure anymore tbh, but I've found the 2048 template and, yeah, I used the 1024 template. It shouldn't take me more than 3-5 hours to up-res and re-do some parts of the paint, which I'll do tomorrow and maybe Saturday morning if I have to.

By the way, what driving schedule are you guys happy with? Personally I can drive whenever, and I'm more than happy to start the race.

Ugh, that is a heartbreak. I'd say don't bother cramming it in before the race, but you did such an incredible job with it that it would be a shame if it didn't look it's best. Again, if there's anything I can do to help, just let me know.

If you'd like to start the race, that's absolutely A-OK by me. Betta and I are going to run some practice later today. We can work out our positions. I suppose it makes sense for me to be the last stint guy, so not to have one of you finishing up at midnight.
However, if you'd like to finish because this your baby, or the speedy Betta would make for a better closer, that's perfectly fine as well. I'm game for anything.

Azzawon

I have spent far too long working on this; unlike the GAF livery I did for the RUF, I decided to try and make the McLaren look as professional as I could. I've gone through three or four different iterations, and I've found the design that, I think, is almost perfect. Let me know what you think!

Amazing work Ark! Reminds me that I need to get back on iRacing, I really want to give the GT3 series a go this season. Fortunately I'll be using the McLaren anyway!

Megasoum

Banned
This was me the whole time, then I broke out the steering wheel, and thats when I realized I had found my Forza replacement.

Oh yeah... It is fucking amazing.

What car/tracks you tried?

I think the most fun I had so far was with the Formula Rookie... That thing is so much fun to drive.

lem0n

Oh yeah... It is fucking amazing.

What car/tracks you tried?

I think the most fun I had so far was with the Formula Rookie... That thing is so much fun to drive.

Lets see.. I tried the BAC Mono, small engine Radical, Mercedes 190e Cosworth DTM, E30 M3 DTM, and Alpine race car. I tried Nurburgring, Hockenheimring, California Coast full, Zolder, and Spa.

I got my lady in the Radical on Hockenheim, 20 laps later she was shaving more than a second off MY time. Thats how fun this game is :)

Edit: ill try the rookie tonight for sure

Ark

Ugh, that is a heartbreak. I'd say don't bother cramming it in before the race, but you did such an incredible job with it that it would be a shame if it didn't look it's best. Again, if there's anything I can do to help, just let me know.

If you'd like to start the race, that's absolutely A-OK by me. Betta and I are going to run some practice later today. We can work out our positions. I suppose it makes sense for me to be the last stint guy, so not to have one of you finishing up at midnight.
However, if you'd like to finish because this your baby, or the speedy Betta would make for a better closer, that's perfectly fine as well. I'm game for anything.

I really don't mind at all when I drive, I just thought I'd start the discussion :)

If you want, you and Berta can decide when you both want to race, and I'll fill in the gaps.

I really don't mind at all when I drive, I just thought I'd start the discussion :)

If you want, you and Berta can decide when you both want to race, and I'll fill in the gaps.

Berta, oh now that's a keeper :)

Sounds good. I think my only request is that I don't start the race.

Ark

Berta, oh now that's a keeper :)

Sounds good. I think my only request is that I don't start the race.

Oh LOL. Thank you auto correct.

If the Sebring GT3 week has taught me anything, it's that the first 5 minutes of a multi-class Sebring has the potential to be spectacularly catastrophic :D

BTW even if I don't manage to get the paint up-ressed (I'll PM you the PSD tonight once I've cleaned up the layer palette a bit) by the race, it'll be done before Monday, this is the paint I intend to use for the rest of the season :)

trillbo

Just ordered a Ricmotech load cell mod for my T500RS pedals. Has anybody here used one? Would love to hear any opinions on it. Cheers!

If the Sebring GT3 week has taught me anything, it's that the first 5 minutes of a multi-class Sebring has the potential to be spectacularly catastrophic :D

That, and... it's 8am for me, and after a couple of cups of coffee, I just want to make sure the catastrophic accidents stay on track. Two hours is a long time to be chained to your desk!
Total over-share, I am so sorry!

BTW even if I don't manage to get the paint up-ressed (I'll PM you the PSD tonight once I've cleaned up the layer palette a bit) by the race, it'll be done before Monday, this is the paint I intend to use for the rest of the season :)

Sounds good. I should be able to put some time into it before Saturday. We'll get it up and looking great. Maybe not perfect, but great.

Just ordered a Ricmotech load cell mod for my T500RS pedals. Has anybody here used one? Would love to hear any opinions on it. Cheers!

No, but I'm interested in hearing how you get on with it. I think Inside Sim Racing did a video on it, if you haven't already seen it.

trillbo

No, but I'm interested in hearing how you get on with it. I think Inside Sim Racing did a video on it, if you haven't already seen it.

Yeah I saw Shaun Cole did a video review of it. It seems to be the best option out there for T500RS pedals right now. I'd love to know how it compares to ClubSport V2s though. I'll report back whenever it arrives!

Anybody has good settings for the Thrustmaster TX in F1 2014?

The best I could find on google was T500 settings for 2013 and it's really weird in game.

Sometimes I have way too much FFB (super heavy auto centering and the steering is super twitchy) or no FFB at all...

Really weird.
I may be able to check this on a TX when I have the time, but I just tested a few things on the T500 to remind myself of the weird Codemasters wheel support options. I would try: 240-270 degrees lock in the driver (1:1 is probably closer to 240 but I used 270). Make sure you're forcing 'wheel' in the controller override setting otherwise it can do horrible speed-sensitive steering. Make sure there is 0% steering deadzone in the advanced options (it defaults to 2% for some unknown reason - on the T500 preset anyway). 0% everything else on that page too, unless you like a bit of pedal deadzone of course. In the FFB settings, I'd suggest 10% environmental, 30-70% feedback (depending on your Thrustmaster driver overall strength you might want this higher or lower), and wheel weight 0%.

Don't worry about it too much, it was mostly because I had the intention of taking some nice shots to put in the social feed on the Sim Racer facebook page, but that might not be possible at this point.

I have one and I've never been able to try it! It was sent to the magazine before I was involved and there's a couple of bits missing. I should get back in touch with Ricmotech to see if they can send me some spares.

Megasoum

Banned
I may be able to check this on a TX when I have the time, but I just tested a few things on the T500 to remind myself of the weird Codemasters wheel support options. I would try: 240-270 degrees lock in the driver (1:1 is probably closer to 240 but I used 270). Make sure you're forcing 'wheel' in the controller override setting otherwise it can do horrible speed-sensitive steering. Make sure there is 0% steering deadzone in the advanced options (it defaults to 2% for some unknown reason - on the T500 preset anyway). 0% everything else on that page too, unless you like a bit of pedal deadzone of course. In the FFB settings, I'd suggest 10% environmental, 30-70% feedback (depending on your Thrustmaster driver overall strength you might want this higher or lower), and wheel weight 0%.

I just tried my friend settings for the TX

900 in the control panel
all deadzones to 0
75% steering saturation
15% Linearity
FFB settings 100, 100 and 0.

It's working all right except for the slow turns where suddenly it really act like a 900 degrees wheel which is ridiculous in a F1... I guess it's a good idea to change it in the control panel afterall lol.

My bigger issue though is that I loose all FFB the moment I alt tab out of the game and come back in.... Fuck that buggy ass engine arghh.

Also I hate the fact it doesn't recognize the TX at all so you can't move around the menu.... sigh

Megasoum

Banned
Hey Betta, got a question for you since you have the new Thrustmaster Rim.

Does it have the two small buttons behind the wheel under the paddles that the defaul TX Rim has?

For some reason I always thought I would lose a lot of buttons switching from TX to that one but other those two I just mentionnent it has the same number of buttons on the front....

Unfortunately not! But the buttons feel nicer overall compared to the TX. The d-pad is better too. I find that 'engine start' d-pad on the TX 458 rim to be in a pretty annoying position and it isn't the right shape to find the directions by feel. Plus the 'manettino' equivalent feels less toy-like.

Megasoum

Banned
Unfortunately not! But the buttons feel nicer overall compared to the TX. The d-pad is better too. I find that 'engine start' d-pad on the TX 458 rim to be in a pretty annoying position and it isn't the right shape to find the directions by feel. Plus the 'manettino' equivalent feels less toy-like.

All right so overall it's minus 2 buttons compared to the stock... Not the end of the world but it's nice to use those things for look left/right in games.

I agree about the red DPad but man... Any dpad is an amazing dpad after using a Fanatec Porsche wheel for a couple of years haha!

I really want that new rim but with the shitty Canadian dollars it means it's over 200$CAD and that's ridiculous.

Ark

Good news everyone!

With big thanks to Big Takeover, the NeoGAF McLaren has been up-rezzed to the 2048 template! Trading Paints link.

I've also updated the team livery to the 2048 version. I'm happy to finally be finished with this paint :p

Couple of shots, re-taken with the higher res paint - and also because I like looking at it ;)

Internet will be installed sometime within the next 5 hours... so many updates, tracks and cars to download!

Niiice! Just in time!

GSC:E update is out!

Main changelog for v1.30:

Cars:
Added Copa Petrobras de Marcas - brazlian touring car series with Ford Focus, Chevrolet Cruze, Toyota Corolla & Mitsubishi Lancer GT models.

Track:
Added Bologna Historic track

Features & fixes:

1. Updated terrain shaders & textures for Cascavel & Taruma (other tracks to receive the same treatment in following updates);
  2. Adjusted collision sounds;
  3. Corrected F-Extreme & F-Reiza aero distribution;
  4. Small adjustment to Metalmoro & F3 tyres;
  5. Shadow optimization & AI improvement for Montreal Historic

bee

monza iracing still drops to 75fps with a single car on track with 3570k@4.4 and a titan x, gotta love dx9

reminds me of rfactor 2, that used to run 40fps@5760x1080 and locked 60fps@5760x1080 3D lol

monza iracing still drops to 75fps with a single car on track with 3570k@4.4 and a titan x, gotta love dx9

reminds me of rfactor 2, that used to run 40fps@5760x1080 and locked 60fps@5760x1080 3D lol

lol. Yeah, I frequently ask myself how on earth am I getting slowdown. Thanks for the heads up that 2k worth of parts won't fix it! :p

Top Bottom