• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

A wild Inferno appears!

Inferno uses Gamepad!

It's super effective!

Nice lap :)
Thanks, I expect it to be beaten when I get up tomorrow though ;).

Welcome, stranger.

Nice lap! I'll add you to the top of the board. I'm about to try my hand again so I can get my butt off the bottom of the barrel. If I can't beat your time, I'm calling F1 2014 gamepad wallhax on you! Kidding :p It's actually good to know that a controller seems to work so well.
Thanks, I'm not expecting to be there long, the controller works great certainly better than GT on PS3 which I've always thought had terrible feedback on the controller which I could never decide if it was because the rumble wasn't very good in the controller or a game issue as I played all my other racers on 360. It's as good as Forza though from memory but it's been a long time since I played.

It said it saved a replay of the lap automatically so I'll post it up tomorrow if I can find it and you can laugh at the point where I realise I'm on a flying lap and my hands start shaking. I used to be just as bad when I had a wheel, except I'd get a shaky foot and end up smashing the brake or accelerator too far, the adrenaline just makes me way too pumped lol.

I think I'm going to get back on the wheel bandwagon though, originally I was thinking a Thrustmaster T300GTE but now I'm tempted to get the Fanatec CSW V2 and get a nice race chair instead of my ikea crap as I don't think it's good for my back and then something collapsible for the wheel. Clearly I'm just making excuses to buy unnecessary luxuries but every time I play RRE it makes me really want to get a full cockpit.

Watevaman

yeah I ain't even close to getting a 1:39 with my pad. I was on track for a 1:42 or so when I lost control coming out of the last left hairpin.

Poor chap. GAF lesson #1: It's a fool's errand to argue graphics.

yeah I ain't even close to getting a 1:39 with my pad. I was on track for a 1:42 or so when I lost control coming out of the last left hairpin.

When you've got something you're happy with, post it up. A nice broad range of times would be great.

----------

OK, down to a 1:39.020

The lap was rubbish however. I braked too late and missed the apex of turn three by about 20 feet. No idea how it turned out the way it did. Well at least I know I should be able to squeeze a bit more juice out it if need be. I don't know what planet this guy with the low :37 is from. I'm not going to get that far.

Shadowplay flat doesn't work for me right now in RaceRoom. Anyone else having issues?

1. 1:38.027 - Betta Lines
2. 1:38.128 - Big Takeover
3. 1:39.073 - Furnace Inferno
4. 1:39.450 - Seanspeed
etc.

Now we're talking. I'll need to get my act together!

Good to know it's not just me with the fritzed out SP. I'll see if anything can be done about that.

Aha, your secret sauce is in the last corner! Interesting that you take 2nd in the penultimate corner too. I started short shifting so early that I was considering just leaving in 3rd.

I should have you beat in one particular corner that shall remain nameless for the time being!

I need to spend the time figuring out how to get OBS working. I've only opened it and stared at it blankly.

They need to fix that last corner! And yeah, there's a few occasions where third would probably work just as well. Plenty of time left to find ;)

I wish I had chosen the layout that sort of bypasses the last corner. I saw a track day test session vid on youtube of it, and I like it better. At least for this sim where it's a bit goofy. In real life I'm sure the last corner is plenty of fun in a fast enough car like the Blancpain GT3s that race there.

TJP

WRC 5 announced for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, PS Vita and PC: http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments/WRC-5-announced-for-PS4-Xbox-One-PS3-Xbox-360-PS-Vita-and-PC

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gxyh-eFaD4

First ​Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo screenshots showcase Sweeden snow stage - http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comm...y-Evo-screenshots-showcase-Sweeden-snow-stage

Sadly, Milestone are yet to announce a PC version of ​Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo so here's hoping they do at some point.

When Renato released his GPC79 mod for rFactor, I had nights online racing on just this track, corner radius/combo's are just made for these type of vehicles.

so bring it on, I'm ready

There was a pretty great rFactor version, wasn't there? Yeah, fun track. Very fast especially by today's standards.

Can anyone tell me what's going on with this? My cell gets the same return too. I tried logging in earlier and got a weird message about not being able to verify my credentials, and ever since have been greeted with this.

9SVEWFu.jpg

Those Loeb screens look good. Suspiciously so... some just look like a bit of geometry in the foreground overlayed on a photo...

Maybe I've been staring at RBR for too long, but if those are unedited screens, they're some of the most photo-realistic shots I've ever seen.

Those are some badass trees for sure. The rest of it, minus the barn, doesn't look nearly as nice, so yeah I'm not sure what's going on there.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm trying to play RRE but huh...It's just not seeing my TX Wheel...

Well it's seeing it but it thinks that my pedals are buttons and the wheel acts like a digital button...wtf

Edit: Right, forgot that the Thrustmaster TX won't work if you plug it in while UPlay is open.... Some stupid bullshit. You close UPlay and everything is back to normal...ugh

So I tried a bit of RRE... Not a fan of the driving

I decided to give pCARS another try. It was the first time in months that I given it a fair try. My opinion of the game jumped considerably. The FFB is still so-so though... It's playable but it's not great. There's still no TX specific profile in the game however so hopefully this will get fixed before release.

Otherwise I really love what they're doing with the career.

Also, I tried the new version of Sakitto (first time I try it since they remade it)...It's huh.... Interesting lol.

Shaneus

Those Loeb screens look good. Suspiciously so... some just look like a bit of geometry in the foreground overlayed on a photo...

Maybe I've been staring at RBR for too long, but if those are unedited screens, they're some of the most photo-realistic shots I've ever seen.
I didn't realise the resized screen in the middle was completely resized. A link to the full image for those who don't know what I'm on about:
http://www.teamvvv.com/assets/js/ckeditor/kcfinder/upload/images/Sweden_Screen_Compair_01.jpg

Does look a little *too* good for a Milestone title. Shamed they pulled out that tech now, if it was a year ago they might still have the license.

DD

Well, WRC 3 and 4 looked very nice in steady shots too. They aren't ugly games per se, honestly. But not very beautiful too. But there were a lot of things in need of improvement.

markao

There was a pretty great rFactor version, wasn't there? Yeah, fun track. Very fast especially by today's standards.
The GPC79 MOD was the entire season, all cars, updates all (if not most) tracks (Kylami one of them)....still one of the best mods for rFactor. After that Renato worked at SimBin for a while, before parting and starting Reiza studios. Glad talented guys like him are still around and while for me modding hopefully stays part of sim-racing for a very long time.

Oh that's right, it came with tracks too. Forgot about that.

Yeah, modding is important for many reasons, not the least of which is because it's a doorway into the industry.

Long time lurker and first time poster here (just got approved by NeoGAF to post). I have been following this thread and the one before it for some time now and it's great to have a forum where people are actually civil to each other and can discuss their difference in game preferences without it degenerating into anarchy.

While I would love a proper race setup I am stuck with a 360 controller but still find great fun in Race 07 and GTR2. I have tried AC but just can't get the feel of the game right.

I am currently trialing GSCE and finding it to be great fun. I may be purchasing that soon.

Anyway, this is just an introductory post to say hello to everyone and thanks for a great thread.

Hi there IceCreamKimi. I think AC has improved recently in terms of gamepad support - perhaps you should give it another go. There are also various gamepad setting recommendations to try out on RaceDepartment and the official AC forum.

I believe GSC:E is going to launch on Steam in the next week or so. I'm not sure if it'll be cheaper or more expensive than buying it right now...

Also, you should try the R3E hotlap challenge! It's free!

Hi there IceCreamKimi. I think AC has improved recently in terms of gamepad support - perhaps you should give it another go. There are also various gamepad setting recommendations to try out on RaceDepartment and the official AC forum.

I believe GSC:E is going to launch on Steam in the next week or so. I'm not sure if it'll be cheaper or more expensive than buying it right now...

Also, you should try the R3E hotlap challenge! It's free!

I caved in and bought GSCE from Reiza's website, they had a 20% off offer going if you purchased GSCE with their Formula Truck game. Since I wanted both I thought it wasn't a bad deal. Just got to wait for them to download over my crappy connection.

R3E has been on steam for a long time, but when I tried to look at it today it's gone along with the rest of Sector 3/Simbin's games. I looked at their facebook page and it says they are working on getting the games back on there, but no definite date. I'll just have to wait on that one.

I do have a question though, does anyone know if Sydney Olympic Park Street Circuit was ever released for GTR2? I have a V8 supercars mod (FVRV8 2009) for the game and all the tracks for the current season except that one.

R3E has been on steam for a long time, but when I tried to look at it today it's gone along with the rest of Sector 3/Simbin's games. I looked at their facebook page and it says they are working on getting the games back on there, but no definite date. I'll just have to wait on that one.
I believe if you direct your Steam to here: steam://install/211500 you'll get the R3E install.

Ya bastid!

I'm about to sit down and watch myself some TG, but how about we wrap this up tomorrow at 2:00 GMT, 9PM EST for me. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Arucardo

Tried my best to find some time to do this hotlap challenge this weekend but failed miserably. Def. taking part in the next one though, been waiting to do this with gaf for a while now :p .

Thanks for taking the time to organize this Big Takeover.

No worries, dude. I'm sure you'll step in when you've got the time.

-------------

Even though participation was a bit hit or miss, I'm definitely going to continue posting weekly challenges. I like doing them. It's fun, and it's a great way to explore content, and get intimate with the nuances of each sim. For me personally, a little human competition gets me somewhere with the sim/track/car that I wouldn't get to on my own. Plus there's always a current of new content that I'm always hopelessly behind on. High quality, first party stuff too. I'd really welcome the motivation to spend some solid time with them.

Anyway, tangent.

We'll finish this one up tonight, and tomorrow we'll post a new one. I'll be mindful of what I think people do, and do not own, but I'd like also showcase the under-appreciated as well. Participation might swing wildly because of it, but that's OK.

I'd really love some combo suggestions though! Post what you'd like to run, and we'll put them in the bank. We've got the Steam release of FTruck and GSC:E coming up in the next week or two, so I'd like to fit one, or both of them in here in the very near future. For tomorrow... not sure though. Ideas please!

Get the Sector 3/SimBin back catalog (and some arcade racing games) for $2.49 - http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/born-2-race-bundle/

As found on Reddit Gaming Deals - Codemasters Racing Weekend Sale - price reduction between 50% and 75%: https://gamesrepublic.com/promo/codemasters-racing-weekend,60.html

Thanks, i got the Race07 bundle and it has every expansion imaginable... it´s great! I couldn´t believe i was getting everything for a couple of bucks.

I hadn´t played Race Room in a while, i really like the evolution. Game feels a lot better. I mean, really good stuff. I´m thinking about buying the DTM 2014 pack, but i don´t know if i´ll have enough time to play everything.

Also downloaded the Copa Petrobras Marcas game, and it´s solid... not spetacular, but solid. Seems like a good mod made for GSC.

Also tried some mods for AC, couldn´t get some of the cars to show up, but the tracks are awesome. Ran the Yellow Bird in Laguna Seca and oh my, that car is a beast!

Still no big trucks on Steam.

Did Raiza give any specific date other than "This week"?

"This week" was actually last week I think. Both were supposed to be out before the end of the month with Truck coming first. I think we'll see it in the next couple of days.

I think I'll sit on the hotlap challenge until it does. I'd really like Truck to be the next one. Either that or pCARS... We'll do a GSC one the week it comes out.

Betta Lines won the last one with a time of 1m 38.027s which puts him P2 on the leaderboard. Congratulations to him! I got DQ'd for cutting the inside of the last corner on a potentially winning time, and promptly rage quit!

In regards to GSCE and Formula Truck coming to Steam, will most of you migrate to the steam version or stay with your current installation?

Also, I would like to get in on this hotlap racket. Are there any special conditions that need to be followed? I imagine I will be at a large disadvantage using a 360 controller but I'll try my best.

I own GSCE, Formula Truck, the Race series, GTR2 and AC. I will be getting Project Cars when I have enough funds and am downloading R3E right now. I don't think I'll be getting the RFactor series or iRacing however.

Yeah, I'll be migrating for both. We should be able to move our third party cars and tracks over easily, so that's my plan.

You're more than welcome to participate. It would be great if you did. Run what you brung. Disadvantage or not, hopefully you'll have fun anyway, which is what it's all about. Hopefully you can attract some more fellow controller users. Everyone is welcome.

I'd like to touch on all the major sims, but I'm certainly aware of what's popular and what's not here on GAF. I'll try and keep things weighted to what people like to play. Thanks for your list. That's good to know.

@Betta Lines

Empty Box FTruck vid. Looking back at the original release, I can't believe how much better it looks now, and the looks are going to be improved even further with the Steam release.

bmanic from wmd's ffb setting for pCARS.

If you have not. Then do this (and follow it to the letter!)

1) Delete your profile
2) Delete any FFB folder and all the FFB related .xml files you may have installed (like Jack Spade's or somebody else's FFB tweakers)
3) Start the game
4) Calibrate your wheel and pedals (make sure you calibrate the wheel to read exactly 900 degrees of rotation)
5) Go into the wheel settings (the upper middle tab called CONFIGURATION) and make sure you have FFB Strength at 100, FFB damping at zero and remove all dead zones. Set pedal sensitivity as you like it.
6) Go into the lower right corner called Calibrate Force Feedback
7) Find and set the following options:

Dead Zone Removal = 5
Dead Zone Falloff = 10 (should be already set to this by default)

Relative Adjust Gain = 98
Relative Adjust Bleed = 10
Relative Adjust Clip = 96

Scoop Knee = 70
Scoop Reduction = 15

Make sure you exit the menu and then immediately exit the whole controller preferences menu again to guarantee that the settings are saved (they don't always save!!!)

Oh and make sure your Logitech Profile FFB strength is set to 100% or less.. NOT the common community setting of 107%. If the FFB is too strong for you now then use the Logitech Control panel to lower the overall strength! Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT lower any FFB forces in pCars.. not the strength one and not the tire force one.

Then select a known good car, like the Atom 500 v8 and drive it on a track that is known to have complex track details.. like any of the laser scanned tracks or Besos or Watkins Glen.

Enjoy the best FFB in the business (disclaimer: Never had a chance to tweak FFB settings for a G25 or G27 but because these settings work so well on both my DFGT and the TX 458 I assume they translate pretty well to the G27 as well. The key is the Relative Adjust Gain parameter set.. the most important one being Relative Adjust Bleed which _must_ be set to a low value. 10 is good).

EDIT: corrected Real Gain to Relative Adjust Gain. Thanks Dmitriy!

EDIT2: There is a bug that causes the Calibrate Force Feedback parameters to reset when you start pCars again!! You need to set them every time you restart the game!

I run zeros for spring and damper in the T500 config. Default everything else.

DD

Ok, I'll be honest here. I said that I would try to post some lap times last weekend, and I tried, only to discover what a failure I am. I can't. I just can't. I'm feeling like a little girl. Once we have a less brutal combination of power and circuit, I'll try again. ;(

Dave_6

I need to give it a go and see how I do. Portimao is so much fun to drive with all the elevation changes.

Ok, I'll be honest here. I said that I would try to post some lap times last weekend, and I tried, only to discover what a failure I am. I can't. I just can't. I'm feeling like a little girl. Once we have a less brutal combination of power and circuit, I'll try again. ;(

Ha! Oh come on, Double D! I'm sure you didn't do that bad!

Like the unibrowed samurai once said; I know nothing about how to get better than others. I only know to beat myself.

Start with beating your own time, no matter how bad it is.

Thanks Mr Takeover, I watched EB's vid, looks brilliant! Will check out those FFB settings soon.

Here's my Portimao lap: http://youtu.be/asoHXf4zAzM

Not sure the formula truck could be described as 'less brutal'... but you should still try it DD!

Tidy-ass lap, brother. It's tough to beat a lap with no obvious faults.

Btw, I noticed Reiza is doing the two-for-one-sale, but they're also selling Truck for $14.90 USD right now too. I'm not sure if the price is going to go back up when it hits Steam, but it's possible. They'll send you a Steam key when the rest of us get ours.

Just an fyi.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...undle-offer-buy-one-get-the-other-free.99868/

@Dave Yeah, Portimao is a terrific circuit. Tons of fun to drive.

Top Bottom