• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Le-mo said:
Downloading now. Will work beautifully on my new computer. :D Can somebody recommend a controller for this?

A wired 360 controller, or if you get a blue tooth dongle you can use a PS3 Sixaxis for extra playstationess.

Le-mo

If I don't get the blue tooth dongle can I just plug my Ps3 controller via USB and use it? Ok, so I just finished installing the software and inserted Resident Evil 4 now how I get it to run? Simply clicking on the thing didn't work. :lol

Le-mo said:
If I don't get the blue tooth dongle can I just plug my Ps3 controller via USB and use it? Ok, so I just finished installing the software and inserted Resident Evil 4 now how I get it to run? Simply clicking on the thing didn't work. :lol

You should read this as it isn't quite as simple as all that. Need to configure your settings and stuff.

Le-mo

Baloonatic said:
You should read this as it isn't quite as simple as all that. Need to configure your settings and stuff.
I'm lost at the BIOS tutorial. It says I need to copy my bios to the folder, but how do I do that? I need to get the BIOS from my own PS2? Ah, shit. My PS3 isn't b/c.

vazel

Banned
Le-mo said:
I'm lost at the BIOS tutorial. It says I need to copy my bios to the folder, but how do I do that? I need to get the BIOS from my own PS2? Ah, shit. My PS3 isn't b/c.
Yea that's exactly how we all got the BIOS.
eyes.gif

Red

Sega1991 said:
I would not call the PC port of DMC3SE "fairly decent". It was done by the same team at Ubisoft (?) that was responsible for the ultra-shitty RE4 PC port. It's sluggish as hell on my PC (single digit framerates) and is generally an unoptimized turd.

I guess it's fine if you have a beefy enough PC to negate how horrifically unoptimized it is (such as the kind of PC that could handle PS2 emulation), but for an aging rig like mine it's a joke that a ported PS2 game would run that poorly.
Unless I'm remembering wrong, there's no obvious way to even get DMC3SE PC running in fullscreen, and all video options are hilariously limited. Also the M&K controls may be the worst of any game, ever.

xemumanic

TheBranca18 said:
Hey guys how much worse is the Linux port? Anyone used it? I might end up having to install Windows 7...

Just install Windows for this, its not worth messing with the Linux version (for now).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, I'm bummed, Suikoden 3 will not run at a good frame rate, and it seems to be a known problem that something is bottlenecking it. I can get 50-60FPS in the over world, but I am stuck at 40FPS durning battles, which makes the game very annoying to play. And it looked so nice in the emulator too:

117z24w.jpg

styl3s

Error Macro said:
Well, the great thing about PCSX2 (and that the PS2's DVDs don't have any fancy copy protection) is that you can just stick the original game discs into the DVD drive in your PC and play them directly.
really? interesting.. whats the least expensive pc i could buy that would run these great? i dont care enough about pc gaming to rape my wallet on a PC :lol

BosSin

Hi guys I am a total noob to ps2 emulation, and would simply like to know whether or not my laptop is good enough to run pcsx2 so I don't waste time trying to get it to run at a good speed

Its a Dell XPS 15 and the specs are:

Intel i5 CPU M460 @ 2.53GHz
4 GB RAM
64 bit OS
NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M
Total available graphics memory 1696 MB
Directx 10

xemumanic

BosSin said:
Hi guys I am a total noob to ps2 emulation, and would simply like to know whether or not my laptop is good enough to run pcsx2 so I don't waste time trying to get it to run at a good speed

Its a Dell XPS 15 and the specs are:

Intel i5 CPU M460 @ 2.53GHz
4 GB RAM
64 bit OS
NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M
Total available graphics memory 1696 MB
Directx 10

You should be good for a great number of games, tho I'm not sooo sure about the GPU, but it should be good enough.

BosSin

xemumanic said:
You should be good for a great number of games, tho I'm not sooo sure about the GPU, but it should be good enough.

hmm, I asked over at the pcsx2 forum and someone said that I would only be able to get a few games to run at a good speed because my processor doesn't hit 3GHz...

I must admit I'm a little confused. Also, when I try to run a bunch of games the best I could get was like 15 fps but I think the configurations weren't sorted out properly either

Oh and also I must add that until now I have been trying to run the games straight of the disc, does that make a massive difference in performance?

Omiee

Im a total noob when it comes to this emulator stuff, my specs are a intel i5 760 and a 470 sli.
so my question is, how do i download and install this so i can play games..?
and do i have to find the games on the internet or are they within the programme..?

Clevinger

Omiee said:
Im a total noob when it comes to this emulator stuff, my specs are a intel i5 760 and a 470 sli.
so my question is, how do i download and install this so i can play games..?
and do i have to find the games on the internet or are they within the programme..?

Search for PCSX2 on google. Go to their site and download it and it will tell you how to install. You need a bios to play games, so you'll need to rip that from your PS2 or get it from other means. No, games are not included with PCSX2. You can play your own games by putting the DVD in your DVD drive, or you can rip the ISO of your game disk to your hard drive (which plays much faster, I believe).

BosSin said:
hmm, I asked over at the pcsx2 forum and someone said that I would only be able to get a few games to run at a good speed because my processor doesn't hit 3GHz...

I must admit I'm a little confused. Also, when I try to run a bunch of games the best I could get was like 15 fps but I think the configurations weren't sorted out properly either

Oh and also I must add that until now I have been trying to run the games straight of the disc, does that make a massive difference in performance?

I don't know if your computer's up for it, unfortunately. Even back when I had a 3.0 ghz CPU I had some trouble playing games at full speed, so I don't know how well a 2.5 or whatever you have will do. You can try speedhacks, but they only help so much. And while the emulator doesn't require a great modern graphics card, I don't know how good yours is for this (I'm just not familiar with yours, so maybe it will be fine). So just mess with it, but don't expect too much with your machine.

tokkun

BosSin said:

Yeah, I have a 3.2 GHz C2D, and I would say maybe half the games I try will run at full speed. The big problem is that unless you can run at 60 fps, most games are terrible. Even 50 fps is not good enough.

I'm planning on buying a Sandy Bridge processor soon and overclocking to like 4.0~4.2 GHz, and I think that should finally be enough to play Persona 4 with no slowdown.

No, it only affects load times.

Clevinger

tokkun said:
I'm planning on buying a Sandy Bridge processor soon and overclocking to like 4.0~4.2 GHz, and I think that should finally be enough to play Persona 4 with no slowdown.

I have a quad core at 3.6 and Persona 4 runs like a dream at some pretty high resolutions.

ArjanN

tokkun said:
Yeah, I have a 3.2 GHz C2D, and I would say maybe half the games I try will run at full speed. The big problem is that unless you can run at 60 fps, most games are terrible. Even 50 fps is not good enough.

Hmm. With a 3.2 Ghz C2D CPU you should actually be probably be able the majority of games at full speed. Are you sure you've got it set up correctly?

tokkun

Clevinger said:
I have a quad core at 3.6 and Persona 4 runs like a dream at some pretty high resolutions.

The resolution doesn't really make a difference, since I'm CPU-limited, not GPU-limited, even at 1920x1200.

The game runs at 60 fps for the most part, but drops in certain locations, such as Junes, to 50 fps. I guess I should have clarified that when I said "run at full speed", I meant locked at 60 fps in all areas of the game.

Clevinger

tokkun said:
The resolution doesn't really make a difference, since I'm CPU-limited, not GPU-limited, even at 1920x1200.

The game runs at 60 fps for the most part, but drops in certain locations, such as Junes, to 50 fps. I guess I should have clarified that when I said "run at full speed", I meant locked at 60 fps in all areas of the game.

I just meant 4.0 and over isn't necessary, even at high resolutions (which still relies heavily on CPU, I believe) for a constant full speed.

Cobra84

kai3345 said:
U guys think I could run this on an Alienware m11x R2 Intel Core i5?
Depends on what you want to play. There is a lot of speed variation, depending on how well certain games are emulated and how hard they pushed the PS2.

ArjanN

Clevinger said:
I just meant 4.0 and over isn't necessary, even at high resolutions (which still relies heavily on CPU, I believe) for a constant full speed.

There's probably some buggy/not fully emulated games that still have slowdown even on the most powerful hardware, but otherwise I think a 3.6 Ghz should be able to max every game.

tokkun

Clevinger said:

Well, the higher your speed, the more speedhacks you can disable, leading to better compatibility and fewer glitches.

-Winnie-

Tried this out with my i7 950 and AMD HD 6870, and the results are pretty good! Things seem to run fairly smoothly at 60-ish fps.

One problem though... I have no idea how to get the analog sticks on my Sixaxis to work with this. I installed MotionJoy, but I can't find a way to set up the analogs within the emulator. :/
Help?

Donnie

BosSin said:

Take no notice, not all CPU's are built equally, so saying that it won't be enough because its not 3Ghz isn't correct. For instance you're CPU is much more modern then a Core 2 Duo. You're CPU at 2.53Ghz will be around the same speed as a 3Ghz Core 2 Duo. I'm not so sure about your graphics solution, as with most (all?) laptop GPU's its integrated. Which means it shares memory bandwidth resources with the CPU rather then having its own ram. I'll check tomorrow and post again.

Yasae

Banned
Drkirby said:
Well, I'm bummed, Suikoden 3 will not run at a good frame rate, and it seems to be a known problem that something is bottlenecking it. I can get 50-60FPS in the over world, but I am stuck at 40FPS durning battles, which makes the game very annoying to play. And it looked so nice in the emulator too:
It wasn't a good game, so whatever...

BosSin

Donnie said:
Take no notice, not all CPU's are built equally, so saying that it won't be enough because its not 3Ghz isn't correct. For instance you're CPU is much more modern then a Core 2 Duo. You're CPU at 2.53Ghz will be around the same speed as a 3Ghz Core 2 Duo. I'm not so sure about your graphics solution, as with most (all?) laptop GPU's its integrated. Which means it shares memory bandwidth resources with the CPU rather then having its own ram. I'll check tomorrow and post again.

Thanks man

xemumanic

Donnie said:

This.

You've got at very least as powerful a CPU as I, more than likely better. I have a C2D 6850 3GHz, and some of the games I play run fine, many don't. That's why I'm suspicious of your GPU. But still, its more about throwing raw CPU horsepower at it than GPU. I was able to run some games at 1080p60 with a 7900GT 3 years ago (GSD Alliance vs ZAFT II for one, same CPU), but FFXII required a better GPU to get 60fps. But if your GPU is using integrated memory, draining memory bandwidth from the CPU, it might worse than if you had a lesser GPU that didn't.

The second factor is the games you're trying to run. Some games look like they would bring any machine to its knees with all the crazy effects and shit it does on a real PS2, but then, you take a 2D game like Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, and its a mess on anything. Meanwhile, Samurai Showdown Tenkaichi runs great.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
How much does PCSX2 use the graphics card? I right now have a cheap GeForce 9500 GT and had a huge slowdown in Gradius V during the visual effect when the boss shows up. Mind you, this was also at 1440x1080 internal resultion (The 4:3 version of 1080p), and I haven't checked to see if it caused as bad of a slow down during normal resultions. Does the CPU do all the rendering, or does it offload it to the video card?

S. L.

Drkirby said:
How much does PCSX2 use the graphics card? I right now have a cheap GeForce 9500 GT and had a huge slowdown in Gradius V during the visual effect when the boss shows up. Mind you, this was also at 1440x1080 internal resultion (The 4:3 version of 1080p), and I haven't checked to see if it caused as bad of a slow down during normal resultions. Does the CPU do all the rendering, or does it offload it to the video card?
i think the part where the first (ring) boss emerges always causes some slowdown. the high internal resolution is pushing you 9500gt a lot thou. i had a lot of problems with a 8600gt at only 2x resolution and the 9500gt should be a good chunk slower.

the upscaling stuff is mostly gpu dependant

SOLDIER

Have they finally come up with a version that doesn't feature slowdown in FFX when that first boss casts Demi? Or in FFXII when the first boss causes slowdown in its introductory cutscene?

Ok, I have the following:

1. DS3 + MotionInJoy

2. PS2 pad + USB adapter

Can I connect USB pad with no problems to the computer and use in PCSX2? I would go with DS3, however PS3 is standing right next to it, and the moment I will play on my PC the console will turn on. Annoying.

Willenium

is there any good way to get this running on an intel imac, aside from dual booting or using parallels or whatever? i finally actually got the thing working, but any time there's an FMV, it drops to like 0.5 fps, and if the fmv is unskippable... it would take hours.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
S. L. said:
i think the part where the first (ring) boss emerges always causes some slowdown. the high internal resolution is pushing you 9500gt a lot thou. i had a lot of problems with a 8600gt at only 2x resolution and the 9500gt should be a good chunk slower.

the upscaling stuff is mostly gpu dependant

Yeah, the first boss teleporting in is the only part in the game that produces emulator slowdown. The rest is all ps2 slowdown.

Does anyone have some tricks to get SSX3 running smoothly? It's good most of the time but gets a bit sluggish in certain areas or when there are other characters on the screen.

luka said:
Yeah, the first boss teleporting in is the only part in the game that produces emulator slowdown. The rest is all ps2 slowdown.

Does anyone have some tricks to get SSX3 running smoothly? It's good most of the time but gets a bit sluggish in certain areas or when there are other characters on the screen.
I was going to ask about SSX 3 as well. I get a bit of slow down here and there, it drops from 50 to 40 and unfortunately this is quite noticeable because of the effect it has on the music, which is one of the best things about the game. I've tried a few different things with the plugins but without much success. Any tips would be much appreciated.

S. L.

luka said:

SSX3 runs flawless for me, but that is the PAL version

S. L.

Harry_Tequila said:
Have you changed any of the settings at all?

I'm running the PAL version as well but as I mentioned above, I'm getting a little slowdown in places.
hmm i think the default recommended speedhacks + Cyclerate and Stealing sliders one to the right. - which is more or less my default setting for all games

i get some slight sluggish right after the start, but else it's fine

S. L. said:
hmm i think the default recommended speedhacks + Cyclerate and Stealing sliders one to the right. - which is more or less my default setting for all games

i get some slight sluggish right after the start, but else it's fine

I'll give it a try and see if it helps. Thanks. :)

Still an awesome game by the way.

Ifrit

So is there a list on which can be played fully without graphical glitches or problems with emulation in PCSX2, or more specifically, games that run perfectly or really close to perfection on PCSX2? I know there's a compatibility list on the site, but it doesn't go on details, for example: Yakuza 2 appears as playable but when I tried it there was this really annoying and distracting light on the edge of the screen at all times, and the game ran pretty slow at some parts (I have a decently capable gaming PC) even changing the resolution and graphic settings didn't improve the framerate at all in this sections

I've heard that final fantasy XII runs pretty much perfectly in this emulator, but that's it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom