• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

stoke1863

Ive been playing Lone Echo, and this thing is legit! It feels very polished like a lot of AAA titles, Graphics are fantastic and the locomotion works brilliant.

The sense of presence is mind blowing it really is an amazing experince.

Early Access trailer for Soulkeeper VR.

AnnualAggressiveCrocodileskink.gif

I really want to wait until this is out of EA, but I don't know if I'll be able to resist.

Lakuza

that gif of soulkeeper vr x_x my wallet is hurting lol.

also looks like oculus is enabling demos on the oculus store (free to try, pay to unlock) according to defense grid developer (off oculus reddit):

The free trial is a new feature that has only just begun to roll out in the Oculus store. I'm not sure but we may be the first title to implement it. Just had to iron out a small wrinkle - it should be resolved now.

yukonrye

Decided to try Rez Infinite out. Never played it before. I've heard people praising this game for years and was excited to play it. It didn't do anything for me. Thank god for Steam refunds.

Also picked up Batman VR for $7. I knew it was short going in but I really enjoyed it. The last section is the best VR experience I've had so far. Damn I hope another is in development.

Ive been playing Lone Echo, and this thing is legit! It feels very polished like a lot of AAA titles, Graphics are fantastic and the locomotion works brilliant.

The sense of presence is mind blowing it really is an amazing experince.

Yup, I've been playing as much as I can (which is not a lot). Game is so good at what it does. I think I'm coming up towards the end and I don't want it to end.

Man, there are a LOT of indie VR games releasing on Steam every week.

On one hand, it's nice to see so many games coming out. A lot of them look well made and not just usual shovelware crap.

On the other hand...it feels sort of depressing. I'll go to the Steam store page for several of these games, and no one really seems to be buying them. Saturating the market this way doesn't benefit anyone.

I have to say, using a reatractable lanyard system on the ceiling for the Headset cords is awesome. A huge improvement over cords on the floor. At some point we'll have wireless. But for $20 or so, it's absolutely worth it.

On one hand, it's nice to see so many games coming out. A lot of them look well made and not just usual shovelware crap.

On the other hand...it feels sort of depressing. I'll go to the Steam store page for several of these games, and no one really seems to be buying them. Saturating the market this way doesn't benefit anyone.

Isnt the price a huge turn-off?
A lot of them look like they would be far cheaper if they wouldnt be in VR.

Like Arizona Sunshine costs 40$ and from what I played imo its a great VR game, but imo not 40$ great. Same with Eagle Flight. Batman VR costs (normally) 20$ for a one and a half hour experience. I am always comparing it to Non-VR games.

Like Arizona Sunshine costs 40$ and from what I played imo its a great VR game, but imo not 40$ great. Same with Eagle Flight. Batman VR costs (normally) 20$ for a one and a half hour experience. I am always comparing it to Non-VR games.

They're hilariously overpriced, yes. Far too many games are effectively full priced for what amounts to a glorified tech demo or proof of concept. I love my rift, but AAA they are not. For now I'm just going to be happy with Robo Recall, Lone Echo and the other free options. I hope Fallout 4 VR is good, that may be the first title that's actually worth the cost. (Yes I know people thought fallout 4 was very meh. But I'm ok with that if the VR implementation is good).

Lakuza

yeah, that was a big problem with the first waves of vr games (no competition so you could get away with charging more and they kind of needed to i suppose due to the smaller playerbase). Now full length games are coming out now that are worth the price they charge, Oculus for example are now funding larger games instead of intentionally funding smaller games too so there is a big shift in development focus now.

yeah, that was a big problem with the first waves of vr games (no competition so you could get away with charging more and they kind of needed to i suppose due to the smaller playerbase). Now full length games are coming out now that are worth the price they charge, Oculus for example are now funding larger games instead of intentionally funding smaller games too so there is a big shift in development focus now.

It's still a big problem. It's a captured audience effectively.

Even then you have stuff like Gunheart that costs 35$ as an EA game, while KF2 in EA was 20$ or 25$ afaik.

Like I said. I compare it mostly with Non-VR games and because of the price I am turned off by a lot and will rather wait for a sale than buy them directly.

Lakuza

Even then you have stuff like Gunheart that costs 35$ as an EA game, while KF2 in EA was 20$ or 25$ afaik.

Like I said. I compare it mostly with Non-VR games and because of the price I am turned off by a lot and will rather wait for a sale than buy them directly.

well, Gunheart has been my most played game the past 2 weeks. Been playing it every day and probably have around 30 hours clocked now (if only oculus told me my hours like steam does). For me, Gunheart is worth the price (once it leaves early access it will be fine if they priced it the same as a full priced console game). They also did a big update this week adding weekly missions, improving gunplay mechanics, adding more movement and gameplay options, new unlocks etc.

Gunheart isn't a typical early access cash in, it actually takes the early access label seriously.

EDIT: another example, Star ware battlefront was full priced game (way more expensive than any vr game) and I paid full price for it. Vr games that are considered high in price are around half the price of a console game on day 1. Like i said before, a lot of the newer titles coming out have the polish of console titles at full price.

Plasma

Banned
Twice now that RAD have said they've fixed the skill based matchmaking in Echo Arena and I'm still playing with levels 1-4 up against teams of level 50 players.

grendelrt

I think this is the important part with pricing, with such a smaller player base the cost has to be a little higher untill they get the numbers to sell at normal prices.

terrible

Banned
Yeah I'm pretty sure the high prices are entirely due to the tiny player base. They need to make money. $20-40 for what are essentially tech demos in a lot of cases is certainly unappealing though.

Lakuza

Twice now that RAD have said they've fixed the skill based matchmaking in Echo Arena and I'm still playing with levels 1-4 up against teams of level 50 players.

the matchmaking was only added a few days ago right? So it'll take time for the system to recognise the skill level of all players since they reset stats (excluding player level).
So once the new matchmaking system was added, it treated everyone as equal (new and veteran), it should start matchmaking correctly in a week or two as more players play the game and stats are tracked.

It's not good enough to matchmake purely on level. I'm like level 12-15 now and I feel like I'm no better than lv1's (only thing i can do correctly is launch, my shooting aim is really bad), I've lost most of my games being pit againt lv20-50's and getting my ass handed to me. So i'm glad its not matched me to other lv15's who might have had better matches to learn from.

tell me more? links?

Here's what I'm using now. Just because it was a complete set. But as I didn't want to damage the paint in a big way I didn't use the sticky hooks (they're quite good though) so I used drywall hooks which I can easily fill later.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6EB8DM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Here's a Reddit thread giving another option, but overall it's more expensive. There's really a lot of options on how to do it, but the general principles are all the same. The main benefit of the one I linked is lanyards length is much longer than a lot of the ones people recommend in the do it yourself key lanyard options or are more expensive if you go the dog leash route and look worse.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...tcelk/vive_cable_ceiling_suspension_solution/

Yeah I'm pretty sure the high prices are entirely due to the tiny player base. They need to make money. $20-40 for what are essentially tech demos in a lot of cases is certainly unappealing though.

Personally if I was a developer I'd rather sell at 10-15 and sell way more titles/establish my reputation in VR then get some paltry level of sales at $40. I guess they probably figure hunt the whales now, lower the price and fish later though.

Shifty

Here's what I'm using now. Just because it was a complete set. But as I didn't want to damage the paint in a big way I didn't use the sticky hooks (they're quite good though) so I used drywall hooks which I can easily fill later.

You made a good call. I buggered the positioning on my rafter mount the first time and ended up taking a big old chunk out of the paintwork...

Plasma

Banned
the matchmaking was only added a few days ago right? So it'll take time for the system to recognise the skill level of all players since they reset stats (excluding player level).
So once the new matchmaking system was added, it treated everyone as equal (new and veteran), it should start matchmaking correctly in a week or two as more players play the game and stats are tracked.

It's not good enough to matchmake purely on level. I'm like level 12-15 now and I feel like I'm no better than lv1's (only thing i can do correctly is launch, my shooting aim is really bad), I've lost most of my games being pit againt lv20-50's and getting my ass handed to me. So i'm glad its not matched me to other lv15's who might have had better matches to learn from.
Sure but it's still pitting me against people who have played 50-100 matches with win ratios above 0.5 and my teammates are people that have only played a couple of matches. Look I get that people have to start somewhere it just gets a bit frustrating when this seems to happen every match. I think today I only had two games where the teams and scoreline were close. At one point I was even matched against three level 30s and it was just me on my own I don't get how that could ever happen.

I finally got to play AreaX in Rez Infinite and I like it, it also runs way smoother on my machine than the original game. The free movement here is a bust tho, you don't need to propel yourself forward in any type of engagement/fight. Enemies get in front of you all the time so that you can target them like usual. Maybe that's for the better too because it would feel like a common flight-combat game if that was necessary. Which is the problem I have with Polynomial2, a game that already takes the LCD cake before AreaX came along.

There were a few updates since I have last played it but they didn't change anything regarding the slowdown in Area 5, unfortunately.

Scubasteve2365

Neo Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlSSQyMkjTo

Here's a look at Killing Floor: Incursion. It's a good portion of the first level. Tripwire did hook us up with this game. Unfortunately I've not ever played any of the other Killing Floor titles, so I can't compare it to it's non-VR siblings.

It does a lot of things right and is a polished experience:

• Has locomotion options, although I felt I needed to teleport in some of the boss fights
  • Gunplay feels good and satisfying. A takeaway from Gunheart is that this matters in VR.
  • Aiming balance is just right, doesn't require absolute perfection like in Arizona Sunshine, but you still have to line up the front and back gun-sights.
  • Has a narrative, nothing groundbreaking, but it's there and helps tie it all together
  • The other areas of the game get away from the farmhouse in the dark woods, so there is versatility in settings
  • Has co-op, the levels and large battles seem like they would flourish in a co-op setting. I haven't given it a go yet, but this is where I think many people will like it.
  • There are other weapons. So far I've used an axe (two hand swings do more damage), shotgun, assault rifle, knives, grenades, and of course the hand guns.

Lakuza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlSSQyMkjTo

Here's a look at Killing Floor: Incursion. It's a good portion of the first level. Tripwire did hook us up with this game. Unfortunately I've not ever played any of the other Killing Floor titles, so I can't compare it to it's non-VR siblings.

It does a lot of things right and is a polished experience:

• Has locomotion options, although I felt I needed to teleport in some of the boss fights
  • Gunplay feels good and satisfying. A takeaway from Gunheart is that this matters in VR.
  • Aiming balance is just right, doesn't require absolute perfection like in Arizona Sunshine, but you still have to line up the front and back gun-sights.
  • Has a narrative, nothing groundbreaking, but it's there and helps tie it all together
  • The other areas of the game get away from the farmhouse in the dark woods, so there is versatility in settings
  • Has co-op, the levels and large battles seem like they would flourish in a co-op setting. I haven't given it a go yet, but this is where I think many people will like it.
  • There are other weapons. So far I've used an axe (two hand swings do more damage), shotgun, assault rifle, knives, grenades, and of course the hand guns.

The past games have been purely wave based games set in an "arena" so the vr game is branching from that with a proper campaign/ story (instead of having something like wave 2 incoming type gameplay), with class selection (think left 4 dead but you have one area to fight in for survival, or typical horde mode games).

I watched your vid last night (saw it posted on reddit) and there's a few things I'm a little worried about. First off, I hate the digital effect enemies have when spawning into the world. It feels like it eliminates any potential for horror since you can see them coming with the bright blue pixels.

Secondly, the "boss" section at the end felt awkward. The boss walks like 3 times the speed you do and is a bullet sponge, which felt overwhelming when you're trying to teleport and shoot him. Looks very easy to fall into the trap of only being able to teleport and having no time to shoot. Even worse when it starts running when its health is low. So this has left me a little unsure whether it's something I buy day one, will probabyl wait for more gameplay previews after that.

Plasma

Banned
Kind of wish KFVR had the traditional wave based mode to go along with the campaign and didn't have the bodies disappearing with that blue pixel effect.

Kind of wish KFVR had the traditional wave based mode to go along with the campaign and didn't have the bodies disappearing with that blue pixel effect.

Don't think it's been confirmed, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't (or doesn't have it added later).

First off, I hate the digital effect enemies have when spawning into the world. It feels like it eliminates any potential for horror since you can see them coming with the bright blue pixels.
As a VR scaredy cat, I'm totally ok with that. Makes me more likely to pick it up lol.

stoke1863

ok im 6 hours into Lone Echo and seriously if you have VR and the means to play this you need to! right now.. go on ... :p

Absolutely stunning game, this is the reason to own VR,

I managed to get into The Brookhaven Experiment again, I put this game to the side for many months when I came across the spiders that can stun you with their webs.
I found it to be too hectic at that point and too difficult.

For whatever reason I didn't want admit defeat so I've tried again and I managed to get to the last level. The Uzi + extended clip really plows through enemies. I was always a bit harsh on this game but it's actually a well done game for what it wants to be.

As a stark contrast to this, I also played Gal Gun VR. I'm not a huge anime fan and this sort of style I usually don't even take much notice of and I forget these games exist pretty quickly. Without the VR tag this would have happened with this game too.
The game is basically Otaku Ghostbusters, at least that is the only way I can describe it as a westener baka gajin. And it's actually quite funny, a lot of the charme is embarrassment joy though. This is a game you let friends play just to see how they react.
I would critisize that it is too easy and that having the crosshair kinda defeats the purpose of a "shooter", but I guess I'm using metrics that are not meant to be applied to this kind of game lol

I really want a Goldenboy adaptation now, not sure what genre it would be but I'd prolly buy it!

So I've had my Oculus a few days now and I've actually got the most play out of Diner Duo. It's a great easy introduction to VR and the coop mode is a load of hectic fun. I really like the idea of local coop VR games add it makes the medium really social.

I know of Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes but are there any other local coop VR games?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well, another day off. Time to sit around in VR all day. I think I am going to purchase Lone Echo and try out the single player. The new Tested show makes it look really good, and the multiplayer is amazing.

With this and Tacoma I'm pulling space station AI double duty this week!

So I've had my Oculus a few days now and I've actually got the most play out of Diner Duo. It's a great easy introduction to VR and the coop mode is a load of hectic fun. I really like the idea of local coop VR games add it makes the medium really social.

I know of Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes but are there any other local coop VR games?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/67f9sv/list_of_asymmetrical_local_party_vr_games_vivepc/

Can't say how accurate/up to date this list is!

Fracas

#fuckonami
Has anyone had trouble with audio mirroring? The setting in the oculus app doesn't work for me. It either plays audio through my speakers or my headset, not both.

ok im 6 hours into Lone Echo and seriously if you have VR and the means to play this you need to! right now.. go on ... :p

Absolutely stunning game, this is the reason to own VR,

True story. I gave my impressions in the official thread, but basically Ready at Dawn knocked it out of the park on this one.

low-G

Which ones do you think people aren't buying? Gal Gun topped the VR charts for a few days

Which ones do you think people aren't buying? Gal Gun topped the VR charts for a few days

I think they may be referring to the games that have like 5 or less reviews that may even be all positive but you don't really hear people talking about.

I've been spending alot of my VR time lately in a 50/50 split of newish stuff like "Just In Time Incorporated" "Gunheart" "Operation Warcade" and "Mortal Blitz" with the other half of the time being with older titles that I've picked up and haven't gotten around to and I've found a surprisingly large number of "hidden gems" in the sense that alot of these games are fantastic but I've never heard anyone else even mention them before.

Don't get me wrong, some of what I've bought/played is definitely shovelware, but it's a much smaller percentage of my total games than I had expected. I'd say for every bad game I've played there have been 2 or 3 good games that I've really enjoyed.

If people are interested I've been considering doing a weekly post in this PCVR thread where I review a few of these lesser known titles along with some short gameplay clips to show off some of the cool moments I've had with them. I have 286 VR games at this point so even if somehow 75% of them all sucked (which definitely isn't the case) that could potentially be 70 good games that are brought to peoples attention.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
w00f, getting some crazy studdering in Lone Echo. I updated to the lastest release of Revive before I booted it up. Haven't had the time to investigate yet but it seems fixable.

searched around, and tried it out... in advanced settings you just enable always on repro, and disable the other two options

smooth as a cats fur now

really excited to play, it was cool. I g

low-G

Speaking of Lone Echo, it is amazing how every time after a session in game I'm walking around the house bracing on walls and thinking I'm floating instead of walking everywhere. No other game replaces real world locomotion so effectively.

Also, kinda shocked how much longer the game is than I was lead to believe. Still haven't finished and the end isn't in sight yet either.

And man oh man, the fidelity of the graphics throughout... Really feels 'next gen'.

I think they may be referring to the games that have like 5 or less reviews that may even be all positive but you don't really hear people talking about.

I've been spending alot of my VR time lately in a 50/50 split of newish stuff like "Just In Time Incorporated" "Gunheart" "Operation Warcade" and "Mortal Blitz" with the other half of the time being with older titles that I've picked up and haven't gotten around to and I've found a surprisingly large number of "hidden gems" in the sense that alot of these games are fantastic but I've never heard anyone else even mention them before.

Don't get me wrong, some of what I've bought/played is definitely shovelware, but it's a much smaller percentage of my total games than I had expected. I'd say for every bad game I've played there have been 2 or 3 good games that I've really enjoyed.

If people are interested I've been considering doing a weekly post in this PCVR thread where I review a few of these lesser known titles along with some short gameplay clips to show off some of the cool moments I've had with them. I have 286 VR games at this point so even if somehow 75% of them all sucked (which definitely isn't the case) that could potentially be 70 good games that are brought to peoples attention.

I'd love to know about the VR hidden gems. I bet there's at least a few that I'm not aware of. I've played about 140 or so VR games at this point. I tried Gunheart, and JIT Inc interested me (although the reviews turned me off).

I'm starting to get excited about Killing Floor Incursion...

Lord Phol

Really glad I jumped in on the Batman Bundlestars deal (https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/batman-arkham-vr). Even after having seeing both SBF and my gf play through it I still had a great time with the game. It's short but it's by far the best and immersive vr experience I've had as of yet. I really hope they make a real game out of this. Full priced I can see why it would feel content starved for some people, but for 9 bucks it's well worth it IMO. I did all the extra stuff and got about 3-4 hours out of it. Looking forward to try out some more similar stuff like Lone Echo and A Mage's Tale.

Edit: Games are very pricey though, anyone know how often Oculus stores have sales and by how much?

Top Bottom