• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I'll think I'll able to develop VR legs if I try - I don't get motion sickness easily, like from spinning or vehicles, so this was quite a surprise. Will give ginger chews a shot since I already own some.

I'm watching some videos/reading some articles now about all the different types of locomotion there are and it's fascinating. Now I wanna give RIPmotion a try.

took me a bit on some games but i adapted for me it was mostly walking real fast then all of a sudden there would be a step or a slight incline and the camera would jerk down real quick that would make me feel ill but i got over that after extended plays

Organ Quarter is out in less than an hour.
Wondering if I should directly buy it or wait for impressions.

On that note. Finished Narcosis in Spooktober and also Dreadhalls. Dreadhalls as a concept is nice but due to the length it feels more like a techdemo, than a full game. It took me exactly 60 minutes to finish it.

cakefoo

I have had some success with ginger chews, although I think they taste awful. It's weird though, they prevent the worst of the symptoms (the feeling that I'm going to vomit + the world is spinning), but I still get some innocuous symptoms like a sweaty upper lip.
+1 for ginger chews/candy. Nevermind walking on eggshells for weeks trying to build up your tolerance in short spurts. Having a piece in my mouth the duration I'm playing guarantees I won't get nauseous, and I hope awareness spreads so we can get out of this teleport-only phase some devs think we need to be in.

Eirulan

I just received my Oculus Rift Bundle today and am installing everything...
Is there a must have list of games from the Oculus store?

Also, I own Elite Dangerous on Steam, can i play this with the Oculus?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid, I'm new to PC VR

vermadas

You'll get Robo Recall for free. Beyond that, the only "must have" exclusive is Lone Echo / Echo Arena in my opinion. Google Earth VR and Rec Room are both free and worth checking out. Mage's Tale looks like it has a 25% off promo so if that sounds appealing, it comes recommended.

And yes, you can use the Steam version of Elite with Rift.

Lakuza

this is my go to quote when someone's looking for games, I've cut most of the quote out which gives bullet points per game, so click that little arrow on the quote to see the full info to see which games fit your playstyle.
Here's a few recommendations: (Go to the original post of this quote for all the details per game, I've removed them from quote to keep this post as small as possible)

Superhot VR:

Lone Echo (Oculus store only)

Mages Tale (oculus store only)

Chronos (Oculus Store only)

Thumper

Raw Data

Gunheart

Audioshield (steam store only)

Soundboxing (steam store only)

I would also recommend robo recall which is free for oculus users. Amazing game and a great showcase to people who haven't tried vr...but I don't think i'd pay the price its sold for.

Since making this post originally, I would also recommend:

• Onward (steam only right now, but oculus store version comes out in a few days/weeks)
  • From other suns (this comes out next month, oculus store only). The beta was awesome so keep an eye out for this one.

Grab the free games you get with the oculus controllers. I highly recommend making Robo Recall the first vr game you play (after you've played the touch controller tutorial), guarenteed to blow you away.

Also, if you haven't already, consider buying a 3rd sensor for full tracking in room scale (its possible with 2 but may not be perfect with the experimental setup).

Also get these apps to make life easier:

Guardian boundary editor: (this lets you manually tweak the boundary, letting you remove points, refine shape or even add to it. Plus you can save different boundary profiles if you want to).
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6iezwq/guardian_boundary_editor_customizestraighten_your/

traytool (allows you to set supersampling options, turns the headset off for if you prefer to leave your headset plugged into the pc).
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5okoju/oculus_tray_tool/
These are the settings i use:
AYF8aab.jpg

And heres a list of a bunch of free tools and games for the rift:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6no4l1/freebies_for_noobies/

You can play all steam vr games so don't limit yourself to the oculus store only, there are plenty of awesome games that are sold on steam only. Just make sure you run the steam vr setup app too to calibrate the headset for it (it won't overwrite oculus setup, its just for steam only).

Lastly, get this(Open VR advanced settings) for steam vr: https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings/releases
I didn't even know about this until a few days ago thanks to a poster here, makes life easier with quick access settings and also some options that improve steam vr.

So has anyone given Overturn a try? I'm seeing like zero buzz about it on Reddit despite it having had a pretty decent presence there pre-launch. I guess releasing on a packed day didn't help.

Lakuza

So has anyone given Overturn a try? I'm seeing like zero buzz about it on Reddit despite it having had a pretty decent presence there pre-launch. I guess releasing on a packed day didn't help.

this was posted on the reddit a few days ago, they give a mini review at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWO8UqpdFuI

I watched some other vids too and i couldn't tell if it uses voice commands to control the npc following you or not. Some of the videos I watched made it seem that way with the text saying she responds to "Magi".

Also, this is made by 1 person too right? :O noticing a lot of solo devs (few from neogaf too) making vr games that look like they are made by a team, crazy stuff. And here I am trying to learn how to build steamvr environments at the moment, following the steam tutorials, lol XD.

SomTervo

Not sure if anyone has been following, but Organ Quarter is now live on Steam with a 20% discount.

FyJZB2v.png

You can play the free Pre-Alpha Demo if you're not sure - be warned this doesn't have built-in Rift support but it should work with a wrapper. The full game should work natively with Vive and Rift.

If you run into issues, you can post them here but it would be more useful to visit the Steam forums where you will find discussions and more details. We may publish cheats there to help bypass any issues. We will also be launching a Discord server the next 24 hours for live discussion about the game.

Nekofrog

Banned
Of everything that has been listed so far, what are some or the best sitting games/experiences available for oculus? I have no problem with standing, but my wife has cerebral palsy and can't stand unassisted so most standing games are completely out for her.

Unrelated, my big dream is that one day, somehow, environments from PC games will be ported and explorable in VR. I want to be able to run through old EverQuest zones in VR just to explore. That's such a pipe dream

Lakuza

Of everything that has been listed so far, what are some or the best sitting games/experiences available for oculus? I have no problem with standing, but my wife has cerebral palsy and can't stand unassisted so most standing games are completely out for her.

Unrelated, my big dream is that one day, somehow, environments from PC games will be ported and explorable in VR. I want to be able to run through old EverQuest zones in VR just to explore. That's such a pipe dream

I assuming she is able to play any game that lets you sit, with this list:

• Chronos (3rd person)
  • Thumper (kinda 3rd person)
  • Gunheart - can be played seated, has good movement options to help.
  • Lone Echo - can be played seated, since the game has you using your hands to move around zero gravity. This one would be one of the most interesting experiences for her I think, since its dependant entirely on your hands as you float about.
  • Soundboxing - allows you to adjust scale and reposition beatmaps (i've tested this seated)
  • rec room
  • I expect you to die - meant to be played seated. No reflex based gameplay since its an escape room type game.
  • raw data - can be played seated, has good movement options to help.
  • mages tale - can be played seated, offers different movement options to help out
  • Quill - painting app (some really amazing stuff coming from artists using this)
  • medium - sculpting app
  • Face your fears - more of an experience. a collection of horror scenarios where you just stand still or sit.

other mentions, but I haven't had chance to start yet or dont own:
  • Edge of nowhere - own it, but haven't had chance to start it yet
  • invisible hours - I'm assuming this can be played seated since you're solving a murder mystery by observing the characters in the story, heard great things about this game.

Thats all i can think of for now but most games work fine when seated. As long as they allow for free teleportation/full locomotion + artifical rotation(whether its snap turning or smooth) they can play seated. Its only a problem with games like superhot that dont allow you to move or rotate using the controller.

I'll be trying out Organ Quarter this weekend. Last year I played Chair in a Room as my spooky season game, and I'm hoping this has at least some highpoints like Chair did.

What's the consensus on Arktika.1? Thinking of picking that up this weekend.

this was posted on the reddit a few days ago, they give a mini review at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWO8UqpdFuI

I watched some other vids too and i couldn't tell if it uses voice commands to control the npc following you or not. Some of the videos I watched made it seem that way with the text saying she responds to "Magi".

Also, this is made by 1 person too right? :O noticing a lot of solo devs (few from neogaf too) making vr games that look like they are made by a team, crazy stuff. And here I am trying to learn how to build steamvr environments at the moment, following the steam tutorials, lol XD.

Thanks for the link!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I assuming she is able to play any game that lets you sit, with this list:

• Chronos (3rd person)
  • Thumper (kinda 3rd person)
  • Gunheart - can be played seated, has good movement options to help.
  • Lone Echo - can be played seated, since the game has you using your hands to move around zero gravity. This one would be one of the most interesting experiences for her I think, since its dependant entirely on your hands as you float about.
  • Soundboxing - allows you to adjust scale and reposition beatmaps (i've tested this seated)
  • rec room
  • I expect you to die - meant to be played seated. No reflex based gameplay since its an escape room type game.
  • raw data - can be played seated, has good movement options to help.
  • mages tale - can be played seated, offers different movement options to help out
  • Quill - painting app (some really amazing stuff coming from artists using this)
  • medium - sculpting app
  • Face your fears - more of an experience. a collection of horror scenarios where you just stand still or sit.

other mentions, but I haven't had chance to start yet or dont own:
  • Edge of nowhere - own it, but haven't had chance to start it yet
  • invisible hours - I'm assuming this can be played seated since you're solving a murder mystery by observing the characters in the story, heard great things about this game.

Thats all i can think of for now but most games work fine when seated. As long as they allow for free teleportation/full locomotion + artifical rotation(whether its snap turning or smooth) they can play seated. Its only a problem with games like superhot that dont allow you to move or rotate using the controller.

Invisible Hours can be “played” sitting down. You can “follow” the character, and the camera will change itself automatically to follow where the character is heading. Its not exactly a game as there is no interactive element, but i still highly recommend it

Tethered VR can be played seated down too.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/431120/Tethered/

Also Fantastic Contraption, driving games etc

Some other seated games like table top strategy stuffs are seated experience too

http://store.steampowered.com/app/290510/GNOG/
GNOG coming to Steam next month

derFeef

Not sure if anyone has been following, but Organ Quarter is now live on Steam with a 20% discount.

FyJZB2v.png

You can play the free Pre-Alpha Demo if you're not sure - be warned this doesn't have built-in Rift support but it should work with a wrapper. The full game should work natively with Vive and Rift.

If you run into issues, you can post them here but it would be more useful to visit the Steam forums where you will find discussions and more details. We may publish cheats there to help bypass any issues. We will also be launching a Discord server the next 24 hours for live discussion about the game.

Got my backers key, looking forward to it a ton! :)

Lakuza

Brilliant, let us know how you find it!

no idea how much work it would be, but it's worth updating the demo with the final game's controls / locomotion so that potential rift players don't judge the movement of the final game based off the demo.

good luck with the game though, purchased way too many games over the past 2 months so holding out for from other suns next month. But, I'm hoping I can get organ quarter later in the year though.

SomTervo

no idea how much work it would be, but it's worth updating the demo with the final game's controls / locomotion so that potential rift players don't judge the movement of the final game based off the demo.

good luck with the game though, purchased way too many games over the past 2 months so holding out for from other suns next month. But, I'm hoping I can get organ quarter later in the year though.

I know, I think we're just going to have to pull the pre-alpha demo TBH. It's too old and rickety and not representative at all.

Thanks for the feedback - and hope you get to enjoy it some time. This season is absolutely absurd release-wise.

Plasma

Banned
I'll think I'll able to develop VR legs if I try - I don't get motion sickness easily, like from spinning or vehicles, so this was quite a surprise. Will give ginger chews a shot since I already own some.

I'm watching some videos/reading some articles now about all the different types of locomotion there are and it's fascinating. Now I wanna give RIPmotion a try.
When I first tried playing VR games with smooth locomotion I had such a bad reaction I decided that I was just going to stick with teleporting. Then even though I just played games with teleporting for a few months I seemed to build up a tolerance because once I gave it smooth locomotion a go again I was absolutely fine.

Crash331

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but Dirt Rally is on sale today for $12.

Dirt 4 is also on sale, but I don't think it supports VR.

Grug

Fellow VIVE owners, thoughts on the Deluxe Audio Strap?

I find it impossible to get the HMD to sit nicely with the default strap. It shifts etc if I look straight down and then there is some blurring as a result etc.

Does the deluxe strap result in a more consistent fit when moving your head?

It's quite expensive so I don't want to just buy the thing on a whim but if it improves the experience I will happily do so.

Deluxe Audio Strap is a must-have as far as I'm concerned, and I think all new Vives should come with it. So easy to loosen and tighten it, much more stable and comfortable.

Played around 1 hour of Organ Quarter and finished the first boss.
It really feels like the old PSX/PS2 survival horror games. It really hits that itch and its fun. To me its a great VR horror game.

Deluxe Audio Strap is a must-have as far as I'm concerned, and I think all new Vives should come with it. So easy to loosen and tighten it, much more stable and comfortable.

I got mine this week (they finally started to sell it here) and I am inclined to agree. The regular strap did work well for me when properly adjusted, but the way the deluxe strap distributes pressure on my head feels way better. Also, included audio is the one thing I feel Oculus made the better decision since the beginning. But on the other hand, the fact that the Vive is so modular that you can get addons like this is a big strength as well.

Finally finished Doom 3 BFG Fully Possessed, took a few breaks here and there because of the save bug which combined with the few plattforming sections of the game made me sometimes fire the game up, jump, die, close the game for the day... like 10 seconds playtime.

In the beginning the inconsistant performance was giving me real trouble because I thought it wouldn't be a problem if I power through those sections and play for a longer period of time (game is slower than Serious Sam, what could go wrong?), turns out that inconsistant framerate is my Kryptonite, can't deal with that for very long.

Mod is great, the game... despite replaying it in VR for the first time since the original release I'm not as enthralled playing it as I used to be, part of it could be that I'm accustomed to VR NPC's/enemies/agents that invade my personal space and I never even flinch/barely bat an eye anymore if I get jumped by an Imp or attacked by enemies in general so it didn't was scary to me while some parts were when I originally played it in 2d.
Other than that it's always cool to hold the weapons in your hands and use your arms to target enemies in VR. Switching weapons was a bit of a hassle but I didn't make the effort to customize the games controls much, so that was on me I guess. It would have been great if you could use your rifle as a melee weapon if an enemy comes too close just hit em over the head with it, having to switch to a melee weapon is kinda dumb in VR so I never bothered to do that (played on easy so I didn't run into much trouble that way).

Not sure if I wanna play Quake and Half Life 1 after that in VR to be honest (there are mods for that but I think I don't need/want to play that for some reason)

So got in the Dell Mixed reality HMD a couple of days ago and I think that once the SteamVR support comes online the Windows Mixed Reality platform might be the way to go. For reference I have had a Vive since week 1 and a Rift for a few months now. Inside out tracking is as big a deal as wireless headsets I think. The ability to simply move around with 6DOF and NO beacons or cameras is so liberating. The controllers do not track as smoothly as the Touch or Vive wands but they are completely usable. Also having all the Windows universal apps available makes something like the upcoming Oculus Dashboard already seem obsolete. Microsoft has gone all in on VR/AR by making Windows 100% compatible at the OS level and everyone else has some catching up to do.

With Windows MR I feel the first generation of VR is now complete and I can't wait for next gen with wireless and standalone 8k resolution inside out tracked HMDs.

its a great animation, definately recommend it :) I watched it last year on gear vr so I dont think it had any 3D aspects to it, just a 360 vid. Interested to know if the steam version has full 3d support.

It is full 3d but to be honest it doesnt add all that much to the experience. It's neat to look outside the car and all that. It's a great short story, and a nice little intro to VR for non gamers.

Lakuza

New soundboxing challenges:
----
Nanite Fulcrum: issue one is free on the oculus store for a short time. Its a vr comic/visual novel. Haven't tried it myself.

https://thewretchedvr.com

The Wretched announced for Rift and Vive. 2018 release

strange way to announce the project with no screenshots and only 2-3 assets shown. The only thing anyone can do is judge the game with what little they've shown which doesn't look good (from the logo to the main character model). Doesnt help they dont have a dedicated artist on their team. Like someone said above, it feels like a student project. Hopefully it will look good in motion.

wamberz1

Insanity VR

An interesting - albeit short - experience. It's a puzzle horror game, with the twist being loud noises draw the monster, and in order to avoid it you need to get away and not move. Or at least, that's what I think - the game never really explains it to you, I just kinda had to remember what I read about it mid-gameplay.

Things I liked:

- The locomotion mechanic involved pressing both touch pads and swaying your arms back and forth. As silly as this sounds it worked quite well and I got 0 nausea. It also played great into sequences where I needed to run away from the monster because it felt like I was actually running away. I feel like it might be a great locomotion choice if more puzzle horror games similar to amnesia/SOMA get made for VR.
- Was pretty scary but not too scary. Not dark at all and vibrant colors gave me a sense of safety, but that doesn't amount to jack shit when you hear the monster pop out of the closet behind you
- It's free
- Decent puzzles. Liked the
Beethoven's 5th one.

Things I disliked:

- How short it is, I beat it in about 20 minutes. But then again it's free so eh
- Interacting with physics object makes the monster come. That means if you move close to a book or something the wrong way and the physics freak out, you're fucked.
- Writing was nothing to write home about, but again it's just a free short experience.

On the ending -
Unfortunately didn't have much impact for me after all the buildup because I've already seen that kill done in the Hannibal TV show. Although, It was pretty jarring after having no human character models the whole game, which is cool.

To end, would I recommend? Sure, it's free and short, give it a shot for the cool gameplay concepts alone.

Top Bottom