• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn & Teller Fool Us is back with season 2! You can watch online!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone with a better understanding of ballistics than me know whether the bullet trick could have been performed with blank bullets? I'm thinking
the signatures were forged by assistants on pre-fired bullet rounds that P/T inserted in their mouths while putting the headgear on. You can see Penn finagling with the bullet in his mouth for a second or two longer than he should have when revealing the catch.

zulux21

Whaaaat? Bullshit.

they have said a couple of times that they teamed up over 40 years ago. I mean it's possible it was at 5 years old but the math works much better at 60 :p

Penn Fraser Jillette
March 5, 1955 (age 60)

want the even crazier one?
Raymond Joseph Teller
February 14, 1948 (age 67)

yeah... teller who looks like at most he is in his 40s is nearing 70.

also just because
Teller legally changed his name from "Raymond Joseph Teller" to the mononym "Teller," and possesses a United States passport issued in that name

Does anyone with a better understanding of ballistics than me know whether the bullet trick could have been performed with blank bullets? I'm thinking
the signatures were forged by assistants on pre-fired bullet rounds that P/T inserted in their mouths while putting the headgear on. You can see Penn finagling with the bullet in his mouth for a second or two longer than he should have when revealing the catch.

My theory is
forged bullet heads are fed into the inside of the kevlar vests by assistants and when they put it over their heads they simply mouth it. I'm guessing the original bullets are somekind of dissolvable substance thats only intended to break the glass, maybe just a blank.

My theory is
forged bullet heads are fed into the inside of the kevlar vests by assistants and when they put it over their heads they simply mouth it. I'm guessing the original bullets are somekind of dissolvable substance thats only intended to break the glass, maybe just a blank.

Yeah, that makes the most sense to me.

My theory is

Pretty sure
the glass is wired to break with a surge of electricity. No bullet is actually fired at anyone. I'm still not exactly sure how the bullet gets to their mouths though.

Pretty sure
the glass is wired to break with a surge of electricity. No bullet is actually fired at anyone. I'm still not exactly sure how the bullet gets to their mouths though.

Does a blank not have the force to punch through the glass? I know it's still dangerous at close range, but I'm not sure what the dimensions are.

Zeth

Holy shit Brian Brushwood lol. I know that guy.

edit: wow he bombed - at least he knows it. His stuff is not suited to the format whatsoever.

The 3rd act by Jack is pretty great. he does a standard trick but deviates at the end that completely changes the perception of it.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I thought I would like this show but it just feels like massive blueballs instead. I want to know how the tricks are done damnit!

I do kind of agree with this sentiment mainly because there is no risk for the magicians going up to present, either they fool P&T or they don't but not fooling them carries no risk. I feel like that if you feel like you can fool them you should take the risk that your trick will be exposed on stage for all to see. The only problem of course is that doing so hurt other magicians and probably P&T themselves who use some of those tricks or the foundations of them in their own act.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I do kind of agree with this sentiment mainly because there is no risk for the magicians going up to present, either they fool P&T or they don't but not fooling them carries no risk. I feel like that if you feel like you can fool them you should take the risk that your trick will be exposed on stage for all to see. The only problem of course is that doing so hurt other magicians and probably P&T themselves who use some of those tricks or the foundations of them in their own act.

In the first season they gave away as much as the contestant made them. There were a few tricks you could pretty much figure out by what Penn would say in telling them how he knew it went down.

For most of the others, they tend to say enough words that probably make no sense to you in the context they're used, so the answer isn't much more than an internet search away.

edit: But also yes, the actual methods are often underwhelming compared to wondering how it happened.

zulux21

You really don't. You wanting to know that is why they are so good. Trust me - once you find out you will regret it.

I don't know, the refilling soda can trick I first saw on wizard wars is still fun even knowing the trick, especially when it showed up in a detective conan (or was it kaito kid) episode shortly after I saw it on wizard wars and found out how it was done.

since it's such a simple trick knowing means that if i need to I could pull it out at a party or something :p

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't know, the refilling soda can trick I first saw on wizard wars is still fun even knowing the trick, especially when it showed up in a detective conan (or was it kaito kid) episode shortly after I saw it on wizard wars and found out how it was done.

since it's such a simple trick knowing means that if i need to I could pull it out at a party or something :p

If you want that, Brian Brushwood's Youtube channel is actually a good place to start. It was originally about tricks/gags/puzzles that could be done in a bar. Over time it seems to have changed to "Brian Brushwood and friends show off some magic tricks and teach you how to do them"

A good idea in magic is to not frame it as trying to fool the audience, and this might show why. It is natural for people to wonder, but presenting it as a challenge to them (indirectly, via Penn and Teller) isn't the best way to go. It seems to increase an interest in magic though.

I bought that trick from the creator after I saw David Blaine do it. Pretty neat, though I never actually performed it.

Being an ignorant spectator is definitely the way to go with magic (unless you want to perform yourself).

I also bought H&S (maybe 10 years ago) and haven't performed it yet.

Make sure to practice it and work out your own presentation for it. :)

Caelus

I really enjoyed the coloring-in blow up doll trick, I know Penn and Teller mentioned it had basis in a different trick involving cartoon bunnies but I think coloring in a blind date and getting a blow up doll along with the guy's comedy adds a really funny layer to it.

I really enjoyed the coloring-in blow up doll trick, I know Penn and Teller mentioned it had basis in a different trick involving cartoon bunnies but I think coloring in a blind date and getting a blow up doll along with the guy's comedy adds a really funny layer to it.

That's not what they meant. Penn was referring to
Thumper the rabbit. In stage magic, a thumper is a device controlled by an assistant that communicates to the magician. In this case, the assistant would have told the magician which color marker was taken, and then the magician tells the artist which part of the body to mark depending on which color it is.

Caelus

That's not what they meant. Penn was referring to
Thumper the rabbit. In stage magic, a thumper is a device controlled by an assistant that communicates to the magician. In this case, the assistant would have told the magician which color marker was taken, and then the magician tells the artist which part of the body to mark depending on which color it is.

I had no idea, I stand corrected then. :p I'm guessing the trash bin played that role somehow.

How did the picture frame guy do that at the end?

He had a quick-printing printer, probably over bluetooth, which was sent the picture the instant he took it. Then he makes idle conversation for the next half a minute while the picture prints. Then the printer spits it out, which everyone believes to be a digital image, but it was a paper print the whole time.

BearPawB

Banned
He had a quick-printing printer, probably over bluetooth, which was sent the picture the instant he took it. Then he makes idle conversation for the next half a minute while the picture prints. Then the printer spits it out, which everyone believes to be a digital image, but it was a paper print the whole time.

i need to invest in one of these quick-printing printers

No, cause they're not there to judge people. Penn has referred to the show itself as a trick. The competition doesn't actually matter. Some of the most successful magicians from the show have been people that didn't fool them. The exposure from the show is enough. They're just giving magicians a showcase on tv in the appearance of a competition show.

I thought they went in on one or two acts in the first season--people who didn't believe that Penn and Teller weren't fooled. For the most part though, yeah this is basically a celebration of magic and its performers, which I really like.

bigkrev

Went to Shim Lim's website to see the tricks he has for sale. He has a bunch of tricks with videos for sale, none of which actually spoil how they work (like a DVD showing how he does his smoke effects, and how you can buy all the components needed for the trick at CVS for around 30 dollars!), but then saw that he sells "refills" for his trick decks, and the item descriptions mention shipping restrictions because they are just magnets.

It''s true- just believing everyone is actually a warlock is better than knowing the secret in most cases. I'm convinced we should be burning Shawn Farquhar from season 1, because he is clearly a witch.

So have Penn and Teller ever ripped someone's act apart?

I don't think they would because of the spirit of the thing (to me, its more like a variety show than something like x-factor). But I think one act in the first season pissed them off, because they put in a deliberate false move that cheapened the performance and made Penn and Tellers guess incorrect (and they're only allowed one guess, so they got through on a technicality and not actually fooling them). I was watching this ama and P&T referred to them as weasels lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57r5xEsvftM

But I think one act in the first season pissed them off, because they put in a deliberate false move that cheapened the performance and made Penn and Tellers guess incorrect (and they're only allowed one guess, so they got through on a technicality and not actually fooling them).
There was an act done by a couple this year that fooled them that I'm pretty sure got intentionally caught to fake them out too. They said the wife didn't take a card off the stage when she clearly very visibly did. Almost too visibly.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
they have said a couple of times that they teamed up over 40 years ago. I mean it's possible it was at 5 years old but the math works much better at 60 :p

want the even crazier one?

yeah... teller who looks like at most he is in his 40s is nearing 70.

also just because

I just assumed they met in second grade or something. Well, whatever they're doing is working for them.

There was an act done by a couple this year that fooled them that I'm pretty sure got intentionally caught to fake them out too. They said the wife didn't take a card off the stage when she clearly very visibly did. Almost too visibly.

I was wondering whether they would introduce rules to safeguard against things like that. Its not really fair to the people that get through with truly jaw-dropping stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom