• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade 11/30/2007 Jeff Gerstmann fired from Gamespot, allegedly for K&L review

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Man

Don't worry about what sites are getting banned or not banned right now. I feel bad for getting the discussion derailed onto a topic that is relatively minor compared to the actual firing.

No_Style

FartOfWar said:
I wish Gertsmann the absolute best and--as Jeff Green said--would love to have him on. However, due to paperwork and agreements involved when an employee leaves an employer of 10 years, I can't imagine he'll be able to talk for another two years, though.

The glamourous life of a professional enthusiast isn't so glamourous after all. Do all publications enforce this?

Shard said:
So has this news been confirmed yet or are we just playing the rumor insanity game still?

All, but 100% confirmed.

FartOfWar said:
However, due to paperwork and agreements involved when an employee leaves an employer of 10 years, I can't imagine he'll be able to talk for another two years, though.

Seriously? That's really unfortunate.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Amir0x said:
Gamefaqs is useful for cheaters and also for keeping the horrors of the internet in one nasty place. CHEATERS.

But Metacritic is good because I like shuffling through it to find which movies people are talking about and then watch them. Sometimes it's hard to keep up with what's coming out in the movie industry that is getting any buzz!

www.Rottentomatoes.com
www.ComingSoon.net

Fuck metacritics

ant1532 said:
If this is true banning Gamespot would be meaningless.
Bullshit, it's even more reason to ban them. What this incident proves (if it's investigated to be true) is that CNet's advertisers have control over the editorial content of all websites that fall under the CNet umbrella, therefore all said websites are compromised. Banning CNet without banning Gamespot is what would really be fucking pointless.

kylej

Banned
Brimstone said:
Saw this comming miles away.

His review of Shadowrun was total bs.

56820Ugh.gif

Anth

From a rational point of view, I just cannot see that kind of scenario. Not because Gamespot is holy or anything, I'm quite sure ads do influence reviews and have for a long time, but simply because they know perfectly well that firing Gerstmann so shortly after the review would really harm their reputation, which is pretty much what they live on.

AppleMIX

Stealth said:
Despite the shit given to him over it at the time, he was dead-on with his 8.8 for Twilight Princess and definitely doesn't deserve to be fired over a Kane and Lynch score. That's just fucking scummy.

It's one thing to be let go because you're a bad reviewer, it's another to be a long running reviewer who was fired because Edios didn't like his review of there sub par game.

I, for one, am not buying this game... or any other Edios game until they get there stuff straight.

Brimstone said:

:lol :lol :lol

Amir0x

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
Bullshit, it's even more reason to ban them. What this incident proves (if it's investigated to be true) is that CNet's advertisers have control over the editorial content of all websites that fall under the CNet umbrella, therefore all said websites are compromised. Banning CNet without banning Gamespot is what would really be fucking pointless.

yup. That would be the truth.

Anyway, as Whiteman said, let's discuss the firings for now... any decision on this subject would come later, and maybe nothing will happen. We'll see.

D3MO

Banned
I call for a ban of CNET.

and a total boycott of all GAF and internet users...of CNET.

And fellow gamers...NEVER BUY AN EIDOS GAME AGAIN...FUCK EIDOS.

...if this rumor is true (all signs point to yes though)

legend166

White Man said:
Fine, I say we ban CNet and Gamespot, then. Not that Cnet shit pops up often.

But where we I go to read my dose of "Mario Galaxy isn't all that great" news?

;(

Seriously though, I think this situation brings to the fore something that I have felt has been ignored too much in game journalism. The publishers have way too much power. I hope what's happening here causes something to happen.

Brimstone said:

It probably sounds strange to people who haven't played the game.

Shadowrun really is underrated, but his review was HIS opinion of the game. How is that BS?

Well, other than the price agruement, but that's another topic.

Chumly

I seriously cant believe they even had the fucking balls to take down the Video Review. Whats next??? They change the score to a 9.0??

D3MO said:
I call for a ban of CNET.

and a total boycott of all GAF and internet users...of CNET.

And fellow gamers...NEVER BUY AN EIDOS GAME AGAIN...FUCK EIDOS.

...if this rumor is true (all signs point to yes though)

I cant remember the lats time I bought an Eidos game, so no problem!

radjago

Error said:
errr shouldnt it be the other way around? gamefaqs is actually useful, Metacritic tho... eh?
I find it useful as a aggregrate of links for specific games. I don't want to have to visit 5 different review sites and search around for the reviews that I'm looking for. It's a time saver for people who actually read them.

careksims

Why ban Gamefaqs!? Sure the forums are cesspools but I do go there for the Faqs and Cheats. The site does what it's suppose to do.

sphinx

the piano man
I hate Eidos Above all. They produce a PIECE OF SHIT game, someone with balls points it out and they actually take measures to silence the journalist.

Fucking Eidos, you are the worst gaming company in history.

Anth said:
From a rational point of view, I just cannot see that kind of scenario. Not because Gamespot is holy or anything, I'm quite sure ads do influence reviews and have for a long time, but simply because they know perfectly well that firing Gerstmann so shortly after the review would really harm their reputation, which is pretty much what they live on.

Their reputation has been going downhill for a while now.
And at this point, it's basically worthless.

Amir0x

Banned
careksims said:
Why ban Gamefaqs!? Sure the forums are cesspools but I do go there for the Faqs and Cheats. The site does what it's suppose to do.

uh you do realize that if neoGAF actually did ban ALL of Cnet, you can still decide to visit them on your own.

We can't ban these sites from the internet :lol

FartOfWar

Banned
No_Style said:
The glamourous life of a professional enthusiast isn't so glamourous after all. Do all publications enforce this?

All, but 100% confirmed.

No one enforces this, but before they offer severance pay, almost all employers require you to sign an agreement to not talk about eh company or its policy for several years. The intention is clean--prevent the loss of company secrets and such--and makes absolute sense in some contexts (think about tech companies and such). In certain circumstances it also doubles as hush money, though.

no offense but i cant believe how many of you (esp on the first 4 or so pages) really think he was let go based on the score. its surely possible but people get fired all the time for many many reasons

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
careksims said:

Nevermind that you actually post over there from time to time.

Dot50Cal

Banned
careksims said:

So if you already know about the site, why do you need to post links here? Shouldn't it already be common sense that if you need help with a game, you go there? Seriously, you act like banning its use here on GAF will make you unable to visit it.

Esperado

Funny, I don't plan to visit Penny-Arcade or Gamespot in the near future. Gamespot because of this recent development, until proved untrue, and Penny-Arcade because of their Assassin's Creed BS. What they need to realize about the guy on Podcast Beyond is that he stuck up for his review, and anyone that does that garners respect from me. I think PA is taking these bad AC reviews on a personal level(why they would be doing so is beyond me).

Blader

Amir0x said:
uh you do realize that if neoGAF actually did ban ALL of Cnet, you can still decide to visit them on your own.

We can't ban these sites from the internet :lol

Your tag is driving me crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom