• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade 11/30/2007 Jeff Gerstmann fired from Gamespot, allegedly for K&L review

Status
Not open for further replies.
firehawk12 said:
http://valleywag.com/tech/jeff-gerstmann/gamespot-editor-on-fired-writer-328775.php

Apparently an editor posted about the affair anonymously on Valleywag.

The intimation is that marketing is taking editorial control and that they fired Gerstmann now because they were waiting for the reviewers to finish writing their reviews of the AAA titles.
My jaw was literally wide open as I read that. If things at Gamespot have gotten that bad then there might be no hope for the site. Though the comment could be totally made up but WOW...just WOW if it's true.

jacobs34

Gamespot is doing a live show right now, Tournament TV, I wonder if the editors are getting crap from the chatters? I mean someone who works there has to say something eventually right?

ferricide

firehawk12 said:
Totally. If it's a 4 point scale, just have 4 stars or something.
you can't; because if a game got 1 star, gamerankings would interpret that as a 25% and then you would have PR on the phone and oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...

if you are playing the commercial site game and you don't have a 10 point scale you will have to improvise or adopt one. it's that simple. gamerankings is too powerful with management types at publishers.

think about an executive in another country who can't even read your review because he doesn't speak the language, on top of just simply not caring what you think.

firehawk12 said:
http://valleywag.com/tech/jeff-gerstmann/gamespot-editor-on-fired-writer-328775.php

Apparently an editor posted about the affair anonymously on Valleywag.

The intimation is that marketing is taking editorial control and that they fired Gerstmann now because they were waiting for the reviewers to finish writing their reviews of the AAA titles.
What completely sucks in this situation are the people left at Gamespot. They are in such a tough position, my first reaction is that they should quit but that's not very fair. They live in such an expensive area and have to pay their bills so they can't just up and leave. But if they stay, every single thing they write from here on out will be questioned.

I would hope that other gaming sites/publications step up and offer a place for these people to go to if they want to leave. I really feel quite bad for them.

Salmonax

If that Valleywag piece is true (and I'm not necessarily assuming it is), Gamespot is done, done, done among their core audience.

nightowl

Gary Whitta said:
That Valleywag article chills me to the bone.

This is probably incredibly naive of me to even contemplate, but can you see any way in which this fiasco could actually drive a credible push for major sites to again try to forgo "scores" on reviews?

I know, I know, Metacritic's of the world (which btw along with gamerankings I believe is owned by CNet) are too entrenched...

But is there reason to even dream that such a negative might bear some type of fruit, no matter how remote the chance? :)

ferricide

Kintaro said:
Edit: Quick question. Is it the norm for magazines/sites to have everyone on the review team read over said reviews and ok them?
no. not at all.

in fact i think it's a terrible idea, personally, but i don't even remotely buy into this authoritative voice / objective bullshit that seems to be perceived as the norm in many places.

Sciz

Finally managed to catch up with the posts in this thing.

At this point, I really can't see how Gamespot could ever bounce back from this, especially if everything we're hearing about the ad guys taking over is true. The public is never going to forget this, even if there's some amazing justification for sacking Jeff.

Best of luck to anyone who's still working there and wants to walk off, but can't afford it.

nightowl said:
This is probably incredibly naive of me to even contemplate, but can you see any way in which this fiasco could actually drive a credible push for major sites to again try to forgo "scores" on reviews?
No. There's no problem with the concept of scores, the problem is that their execution has been increasingly compromised over the years. The system is broken but it's more helpful to fix it than to throw it out entirely.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
ferricide said:
no. not at all.

in fact i think it's a terrible idea, personally, but i don't even remotely buy into this authoritative voice / objective bullshit that seems to be perceived as the norm in many places.

Well of course the review has to go by the chief editor, the one responsible for the whole production.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'd love to see the staff just rate everything a 10 from here on out. crazy stuff. fuck gamespot. good luck to jeff and all the (decent) guys left behind

btf1980

Crushed said:
It's because these guys probably don't understand who gamers all. They probably just have this image of teenagers in a dark room lit up by a TV, swigging Game Fuel and mashing buttons on The Hot New Shooty Game(TM).

They're probably too stupid to understand that we can see exactly what they're doing.

Yup. People keep saying that they don't understand how upper management would not know the outcome of this. I'm afraid that that's just it....upper management are just a bunch of clueless tools. Gamespot/CNET is no different if these allegations turn out to be true. I work in an industry where the upper management is clearly out to lunch and out of touch with reality. Calling them clueless would be an understatement. That's what happens when people are given positions of power not through talent, expertise or a proven work record, but through nepotism and networking. It's very annoying to take instructions from superiors you are smarter than, and often times more qualified than as well. I recall a situation where I had to show my Director how to run a few in house programs and other procedures, procedures that anyone in her position would know. I then kept scratching my head as to how this person is in a position above me or anyone else if they are this clueless about the industry they are working in. The gaming industry is no different it seems. Outsiders are trying to run the show in the gaming industry.

ferricide

ItsInMyVeins said:
Well of course the review has to go by the chief editor, the one responsible for the whole production.
undoubtedly, but that's completely different.

to be clear:

review by consensus - a bunch of fucking shit
editorial oversight - absolutely essential

and i am not ascribing either of those to gamespot because all i have to go on is that dubious valleywag post.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
ferricide said:
undoubtedly, but that's completely different.

to be clear:

review by consensus - a bunch of fucking shit
editorial oversight - absolutely essential

and i am not ascribing either of those to gamespot because all i have to go on is that dubious valleywag post.

Well, I was only pointing out that there is a degree of authoritative voice there too (the chief, that is).

EDIT: But one thing is kind of cool about that. If they actually discuss the game it could possibly lead to more interesting and indepth views. Maybe. Not to say that everyone should be able to change one guys review. That's just strange.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ferricide said:
no. not at all.

Ok, that's what I thought...it sounded a little hokey to begin with when I saw it mentioned in the article. That's a very odd practice. If true, I wonder how long they've been doing that.

Shamrock

Banned
CurseoftheGods said:
gerstmannresponds2.jpg

http://valleywag.com/tech/jeff-gerstmann/fired-cnet-editor-speaks-328660.php

I think this deserves it's own thread. So many people will miss this in this cluster fuck of a thread.

Gamespot is having their live TTV show right now, its almost like Jeff never existed, no comments on anything, the music that Jeffs band, "Midnight Brown" had produced, that used be in the opening titles, is non existent. Crazy.

acklame

Agent Ironside said:
Gamespot is having their live TTV show right now, its almost like Jeff never existed, no comments on anything, the music that Jeffs band, "Midnight Brown" had produced, that used be in the opening titles, is non existent. Crazy.
This is crazy. Is there any communication to the show hosts? wtf is going on.

Agent Ironside said:
He never existed.

stalin.jpg

Ravidrath

Suburban Cowboy said:
5 point scale is superior to both 4 point and 10 (3?) point scale

Yeah, but like ferricide said, PR and advertising will pressure away until this doesn't happen because of Gamerankings and Metacritic.

Example? When GameSpy went from a 10.something scale to a five star scale, they later caved and added a 4.5 "Editor's Choice" score to appease advertisers. Why? The impact of a 4 star review on Metacritic was too great for them, if their average might otherwise be in the 90% range.

However, this isn't to say that GAFfers and the like aren't part of the problem. You guys WANT more review granularity for some reason, and scream when reviews stray too far from the same Metacritic scores that're currently ruining the media. To save themselves the headache of fantard outcry, the sites then themselves try to hover around the existing Metacritic average...

The end result? A big, self-reinforcing pile of shit. Great work, everyone!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Well, regardless of whether it is true or not, the huge wave of negative responses shows that this is a subject that was waiting to explode.

Im sure this is buried in this thread, but apparently one of the GS staffers posted in his GS blog that over at corporate they are goin crazy over the mass Gamespot subscription cancellations. Later to have his blog deleted and then posted less aggressive comments.

El-Suave

jacobs34 said:
Gamespot is doing a live show right now, Tournament TV, I wonder if the editors are getting crap from the chatters? I mean someone who works there has to say something eventually right?

I'm watching the event right now for the live chat with other subscribers, mods and editors. Of course editors don't get crap because they're not to blame. Nobody is talking about the tournament of course. On the other hand you can't really expect staffers to comment so all, so all I've witnessed so far is one editor saying Jeff left her his blue DQ slime.

nightowl

teruterubozu said:
Editors should start demanding a cut from ad sales commissions.

HAHA

If you are going to sell your integrity, you might as well make sure the cash from the deal goes into your pocket.

:)

nightowl

El-Suave said:
I'm watching the event right now for the live chat with other subscribers, mods and editors. Of course editors don't get crap because they're not to blame. Nobody is talking about the tournament of course. On the other hand you can't really expect staffers to comment so all, so all I've witnessed so far is one editor saying Jeff left her his blue DQ slime.

Since it is live, who knows, maybe one editor has a major shock plan up his sleave.

;)

Hcoregamer00

I just realized something, a mass exodus of gamespot forumers means that they will join other places.

I could imagine NeoGAF is on a lot of people's lists since we are the premier gaming forum.

GG-Duo

Agent Ironside said:
Im sure this is buried in this thread, but apparently one of the GS staffers posted in his GS blog that over at corporate they are goin crazy over the mass Gamespot subscription cancellations. Later to have his blog deleted and then posted less aggressive comments.

Rawk.

Hcoregamer00 said:
I just realized something, a mass exodus of gamespot forumers means that they will join other places.

I could imagine NeoGAF is on a lot of people's lists since we are the premier gaming forum.

NeoGAF > Discussions > Gaming Discussion > Welcome our new 20,000 Juniors!

nightowl

Shamrock said:
and I bet IGN is loving life right now. They will probably get a bunch of new subscriptions.

Speaking of subscriptions....How many on this thread that is upset with the way Gamespot has handled this situation are also GameFly subscribers?

Should there be a grassroots campaign to convince GameFly that a continued business relationship with Gamespot is not in their best interests?

Hcoregamer00

StopMakingSense said:
NeoGAF > Discussions > Gaming Discussion > Welcome our new 20,000 Juniors!

I know there are some people who are transplants from Gamespot (I was one of them that was in GS from 2002-2006), but a mass exodus like that would overwhelm everybody.

Let's hope most of them go to IGN or 1up.

Flavius

Shamrock said:
and I bet IGN is loving life right now. They will probably get a bunch of new subscriptions.

Isn't that a bit like switching from using Heinz ketchup on your burger to Hunt's ketchup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom