• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade 11/30/2007 Jeff Gerstmann fired from Gamespot, allegedly for K&L review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazunta

Wow. Right now I am so fucking grateful I got the hell out of the games journalism racket. This is a complete disgrace.

I never interacted with Gerstmann back in my Gamespot / Videogames.com days, but he sure as hell knew his stuff, and he gave the site some much needed personality (seriously, GS would have to be one of the driest gaming sites on the planet since its inception).

I don't know what any of us can "do" besides unsubscribe from all GS podcasts, memberships etc and refuse to load any of those sites ever again. A GAF ban would be most appreciated. Since this decision was made by people (on both sides) who care about page counts and marketing more than written words, integrity or game quality, this is the only way we can show our diapproval.

Heh, I remember the day long ago when Sega Ozisoft called the place I wrote for and demanded I be fired because I called them all incompetent. Thankfully my boss had balls and laughed his head off as he hung up on them. Man, I even got blacklisted by Sony for a while...hell I'm sure I pissed off loads of publishers back in the day. I'm sure we all did. But back in the day games journalism was worth a damn and publishers knew their place.

Good luck to Gerstmann. I know all too well how it feels to be an unemployed games journalist. It's like being an ice sculpter in the Sahara desert. Nobody's hiring, and your skills are pretty much worthless in the real world.

time to pack it in and become a designer?

probune

Can we please stop talking about Assassin's Creed/Penny Arcade? Aren't there other topics for that sort of thing?

EDIT: Oh yeah and on topic and stuff, this is nuts that they would do something so incredibly stupid. "games journalism" seems to be crumbling away more and more every day.

adg1034

At this point, all we know is that Gerstmann no longer works at Gamespot, and that prior to his departure, he wrote a not-so-glowing review of K&L, a game that had been advertised heavily on their site. Until we hear something official, these are the only facts we know, so I'd suggest we save all "Ban Gamespot" comments until then. If his review and firing are connected in any way, I'll gladly lead the angry mob, but let's try and stay levelheaded about this.

Dante said:
To put it mildly the state of video game reviews is a total mess right now.

Seriously. Gaming "journalism" has become a fucking joke this generation. It's so obvious that revews, scores and opinions are being affected by various "sponsors" nowadays it's not even funny anymore.

kman3000

:( I hope this isn't true, Gamespot has been losing to many of their good people lately, if Jeff leaves I will find a new game site to go to.:(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Amir0x said:
I can't wait to hear details.

WHAT the fuck happened? Did Gamespot specifically tell him NOT to give the game a score lower than such and such, and if he did he would be fired? And then he posted the review anyway? What is the chain of events here...

If that chain of events are true, then HUGE amounts of props to Jeff. I never really agreed with many of his reviews, but to stick to journalistic integrity like that is something worth congratulating.

I really don't think he lowballed games for hits. I honestly just think he didn't like them as much as others. Do I agree with him? No. Should he be fired for having a different opinion than myself? Hell no.

Kittonwy said:
I'm saying that once you have a business relationship with the publisher SPECIFICALLY RELATED TO THE GAME IN QUESTION, while you can play the game and enjoy it and express this sentiment, you're off the fucking high horse and really shouldn't be telling other people how not to judge games because your judgement is possibly tainted.
Indifferent2.gif

Sure, but their policy of only being sponsored by games that they enjoy means that they don't have to deal with any dilemmas involving angry publishers demanding resignations.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Now, I'm by no means happy that someone lost his job, but I'm not sure why there's a problem here. He worked for Gamespot. If his reviews/work didn't fit with what Gamespot is going for, I don't really see why they shouldn't fire, even if it's over something stupid as giving the wrong game a low score. It's not a good thing, but it's their site. I don't really visit Gamespot anyway.

Amir0x said:
We really should ban Gamespot, yeah.
Get EviLore on the horn, make it happen.

And what a clusterfuck of retardation this is, the whole of the enthusiast press collective needs to react, investigate and respond to this in a unified and proper way or you should just pack it all in.

KennyL

This could be good for Gertsmann cause he now became the HOT SHIT of the gaming press, and he can go PLACES depending on how he plays it. Could also have some impact on the whole press/PR ickiness.

Grecco

The way PA does their advertising is different though. They first ask to play the game before they put banners up

And yet they have a vested interest in Ubi, making comics for Brothers in Arms, Myst, Spliter Cell Chaos Theory , Splitner Cell Pandora Tomorw, Rainbow Six ect ect ect ect.

They also said that they liked Prince of Persia they just hated the generic rage shit.

Their connection to Ubi goes further than just "banner ads"

Firestorm

John Dunbar said:
Now, I'm by no means happy that someone lost his job, but I'm not sure why there's a problem here. He worked for Gamespot. If his reviews/work didn't fit with what Gamespot is going for, I don't really see why they shouldn't fire, even if it's over something stupid as giving the wrong game a low score. It's not a good thing, but it's their site. I don't really visit Gamespot anyway.

Er, this is more over the fact that game publications in general have this issue where game publishers have FAR too much control over content. When someone gets fired because he expressed his opinion in a REVIEW, which in this industry is supposed to tell the reader what is a good game and what isn't, there is a problem.

Gazunta said:
Wow. Right now I am so fucking grateful I got the hell out of the games journalism racket. This is a complete disgrace.

Tell me about it...I knew I was making the right move when I got out, but I never expected shit to get THIS BAD...

Hold me, Gaz.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Gazunta said:
Heh, I remember the day long ago when Sega Ozisoft called the place I wrote for and demanded I be fired because I called them all incompetent. Thankfully my boss had balls and laughed his head off as he hung up on them. Man, I even got blacklisted by Sony for a while...hell I'm sure I pissed off loads of publishers back in the day. I'm sure we all did. But back in the day games journalism was worth a damn and publishers knew their place.

Oh god don't get people started on them too :lol

Wow, that video review seems to give a feeling that he knew this was going to be his last review, so he just said fuck it, here's what I really think about this game.

edit: lol - 'Take a look at it, but its probably not worth a purchase'

No_Style

typo said:
Holy shit, that's a pretty strong way of starting a video review.

The ending is pretty harsh as well, but what he said was true. It's worth a rental. I can sorta see why Eidos can be super pissed over it though. He pretty much said: "Don't buy this game at full price."

MC Safety said:
For the record, Play gave Kane and Lynch a 6.

I wonder if there are other factors at work here.

A shit load of ads for GameSpot. I also believe that this may have been the straw that broke the camel's back though.

Still, losing your job over it is extreme. What happened to stern scoldings?

Chumly

Mod posting on gamespot

""People, don't direct your anger at Gamespot. This is CNet's meddling. Gamespot consists just of the editorial, news, community, and development teams. It's CNet's marketing that puts the ads up. CNet's marketing that complained. CNet is who can fire their EIC. ""

WHAT THE FUCK SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dante said:
After this and the supposed 9-bargo with AC, There's gotta be some shady stuff going on as of late.

And that super happy funtime hold-up of the Hellgate: London review over at IGN.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Kintaro said:
Are you new to the world? People "gloat" over firings all the time. They routinely call for the firing of people in all facets of LIFE. Hang out around some sports fans, they will gladly tell you who should be fired and how big of a celebration they will do when it happens. It sucks when anyone loses their job, but this is no different than anything...well, ever.

People should stop being so sensitive because there's been moments that you have wished for someone, somewhere, to be fired.
Sports are not a fair comparison. They're a meritocracy, but what you earn is always at the expense of another person. If you're not as good as the guy across the sidelines, then you're probably going to lose. I can root for a lot of people to succeed in other fields, and it generally isn't at the direct expense of another person. People can succeed at different levels. But success is always defined by a win in sports. Just by rooting for a team, I'm willing to see another team fail. So if someone gets fired, then tough. Not everybody wins. Find a job where everybody can win. To get into sports is the knowledge that if you succeed, then the equal and opposite reaction is for someone else to fail, so they should be prepared for that situation. Wins are the bottom line.

But for Jeff, it's not about wins and losses. He should just do his job. And he did. And...allegedly...he got fired for it. I don't exactly agree with his opinions. I don't even really care much for him. But Jesus, the guy didn't deserve it that I know of. At some level I have to feel horrible for him. I mean who is losing by his reviews? I have to question anybody who would put their opinion about his reviews over his damned well being. Say what you will about what he writes, he is no different than nearly every other game journalist out there, so I don't see any reason for him to lose his job...allegedly (I'm turning into Jim Rome here).

USD

If this is true... holy shit wow. The big faces of GameSpot are gone now, everything's about two steps from going down the shitter... if it really is true.

Firestorm

Grecco said:
And yet they have a vested interest in Ubi, making comics for Brothers in Arms, Myst, Spliter Cell Chaos Theory , Splitner Cell Pandora Tomorw, Rainbow Six ect ect ect ect.

They also said that they liked Prince of Persia they just hated the generic rage shit.

Their connection to Ubi goes further than just "banner ads"

Yeah they do, but the thing is, I can still believe they're saying what they genuinely thing due to the way they've handled every situation that has to do with Ubisoft or even other companies. I don't care if a game site gets money from a publisher to do work or advertise. As long as that influence isn't spread heavily across their reviews, it's fine. I don't expect a website to run without advertisements.

Evlar

Banned
Chumly said:
Mod posting on gamespot

""People, don't direct your anger at Gamespot. This is CNet's meddling. Gamespot consists just of the editorial, news, community, and development teams. It's CNet's marketing that puts the ads up. CNet's marketing that complained. CNet is who can fire their EIC. ""

I'm not certain the mods really know anything over there... Is he a paid employee or just a volunteer? He may be theorizing as much as the rest of us.

USC-fan

Banned
Link648099 said:
YOU TUBE IT
yeah before they take it down....

Chumly said:
Mod posting on gamespot

holy shit...

Chumly said:
Mod posting on gamespot

Oh my. Ohhhh my.

No one over there is going to be happy this info is leaking. What a mess.

Gazunta said:
he gave the site some much needed personality (seriously, GS would have to be one of the driest gaming sites on the planet since its inception).

This isn't particularly the place, but I can't really agree with this. From the few GS events I have actually watched he seemed as vapid and uninterested as everyone else involved. GS just doesn't have it's shit together on anything really.

probune

John Dunbar said:

It's not like it's illegal for them to fire him over this. Everyone's crying foul because CNET is scum for doing it.

White Man

Chumly said:
Mod posting on gamespot

Fine, I say we ban CNet and Gamespot, then. Not that Cnet shit pops up often.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Chumly said:
Mod posting on gamespot

Ban both Gamespot and CNET then.

Burn the motherfuckers

White Man said:
Fine, I say we ban CNet and Gamespot, then. Not that Cnet shit pops up often.

YOu and me, me and you, we on the same page. Let's nuke these corrupt pigs

M3wThr33

Banned
Chumly said:
Mod posting on gamespot

Well, too bad then, but GameSpot will HAVE to get caught in the crossfire to prove the point, sad as it is. Short-term pain for long-term goal.

ant1532

Banned
Y2Kev said:
oh my god :lol :lol :lol
Last sentence is genius.

"The multiplayer is real neat and is something probably worth seeing, so if you do have an opportunity to see it without paying full price, take a look at it... but its probably not worth a purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom