• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People on the internet lash out at 50 Cent for video mocking airport janitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Yes I understand what he is saying. What is funny about that?

I don't think I can explain to you what's funny about that. I've never actually encountered this type of question after someone understands the joke. I've heard, "I don't think that's funny." but not a serious inquiry as to why it is funny. The only explanation I can give you is that it makes people laugh. That's why it's funny.

50 Cent comes off as a real jerk in the video. So what if his pupils are dilated? Medication can do that. He is doing his job, leave him alone!

what he said is so callous and blunt that its surreal. it's the type of facetious thing that many of us can recognize as factually terrible and still have a laugh about the first time as the implications cross through our minds and we're just like "oh, wow that's fucked". i hope your mo isn't to try and make anyone feel bad for laughing at it, fuck that moral high ground posturing shit. if on the other hand you're just genuinely wondering why people thought it was funny, well, there it is.

Didn't he declare bankruptcy? lol

giphy.gif

The Beard

What a piece of shit. Who the fuck does that? It's extra fucked up because the kid has disabilities, but even if he didn't, it'd still be an asshole move.

You're not the only one that's said this, but what is funny about that statement?

I don't know honestly. It just kind of reminds me of like a George Carlin joke that I'd laugh at. And maybe it's the "LMAO" in caps at the end.

But I understand in all seriousness it's not funny.

LOL it's funny, but I think a lot of what he says is jokes.

He also confirmed later that that's not really his biological son.

Phew now I don't have to feel bad.

Today I learned that 50 Cent apparently does not approve of young people in positions of minimal responsibility using narcotics. I, uh... didn't really see that coming.

Does he have any social media rants about the way "this generation" dresses? Please say yes.

50 cent can sometimes do crazy shit this being one of them. Should have let that dude alone and that's that. He could be "slow" or w.e. the pc correct term is for someone with mental retardation.

If I were 50 I'd reach out to institutions that help people with mental disabilities and donate some time and money and offer the dude and apology. Then we move on and don't harp on it.

Edit

He apologized and donated $100k (the family asked for $10k)

They also accepted his apology.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/nation-now/50-cent-apologizes-to-family-donates-money-to-charity/176643180

Just saw this. Good on him to donate and offer an apology. It's nice and fun to goof off and all but not at the expense of other folks.

Supast4r

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZYqW-t7oTY

http://www.khou.com/entertainment/i...t-for-video-mocking-airport-janitor/164365395

I feel bad for the dude, he looks like he's just trying to do his job quietly. I mean not only are you being confronted, and being told you're high, but you're also being showcased to millions of people doing a job that a lot of people would rather not be shown doing. (I used to be a janitor, and I would hate telling people)

Anyone think he can sue? I would like to see 50 cent lose some money for doing this.

http://news.hiphopearly.com/effen-vodka-is-not-happy-with-50-cents/
You can sue for defamation and I hope he does. 50 looks like a piece of shit for doing this to him.

Supast4r

What's "funny" is that this is probably the first time that he has seen his kid and the only thing he is thinking about is about child support rather than his child.

BizzyBum

I don't get why everyone is freaking out about the op video. It's nothing crazy bad. And he's gonna sue for this? I mean really?

I guess people are just beyond sensitive nowadays.

Edit: I didn't realize he was autistic, makes it a little more fucked up, but it's not like 50 knew he had autism. Now that it's come out he should apologize, though.

Vorheez

Seems like 50 made a mistake. Whatever. I'm not gonna get all worked up about it like most people are. If the situation had actually been called correctly, and the kid was genuinely high as a motherfucker in the airport while working, then none of this would be a problem. Y'all would have a chuckle and carry on with your day. But nope, the kid has social anxiety, and instead of attributing 50's assessment to a mere mistake (because really, how else would 50 know) he's now this "scumbag" who needs to be hung out to dry. Overreaction. It's like when you make a lighthearted "yo mamma" joke to someone and they respond stone faced with "my mom is dead, you piece of shit" instead of understanding that not everyone is aware of your situation and what you're going through. It's nobody's responsibility to know and you need to be prepared to engage in normal social interactions that may challenge that fact. 50 is a clown, has always been a clown, and he's doing nothing out of the ordinary for himself in this video. Again, if the situation was called correctly and the kid was actually high, he'd probably be stoked to have 50 record him and poke a little fun at him. I know I would.

Also, I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder so I have personal experience with this myself. Go through my post history and you'll see anxiety (sometimes severe) littered throughout my posts if you look close enough. I understand it makes me act a little strange in social situations but I do not jump down someone's throat or condemn someone for challenging that or asking questions about it. It's abnormal for them and normal for me, so the responsibility to explain the situation is on my shoulders. I don't deserve special treatment.

50 should have to apologize to the kid himself for an honest mistake and nothing more.

The Beard

I don't get why everyone is freaking out about the op video. It's nothing crazy bad. And he's gonna sue for this? I mean really?

Edit: I didn't realize he was autistic, makes it a little more fucked up, but it's not like 50 knew he had autism. Now that it's come out he should apologize, though.

It doesn't matter if he knew or not. You don't record someone doing their fucking job with the intent to humiliate them, then post it online so your millions of followers can make fun of that person.

If the kid wasn't autistic and was just painfully shy, the best case scenario is millions of people laughing at him, and mocking this janitor who's just trying to do his job.

Mocking a janitor is never a good look. A very successful celebrity mocking a janitor is just like, what the fuck is wrong with you? Grow the fuck up.

Ponn

Banned

Not being cool with making fun of someone and then taking it further and trying to make fun of them on the internet which is essentially bullying is now beyond sensitive? Well, at least you and 50 cent can be pals and go around making strangers feel miserable just to get your rocks off.

Vorheez

Well, at least you and 50 cent can be pals and go around making strangers feel miserable just to get your rocks off.
Now hold on a second, that's not what happened here. 50 didn't make fun of him to "get his rocks off." 50 Cent has always been known as an entrepreneur and a hardworking businessman, so when he saw an employee who appeared to be "high as a motherfucker" while doing his job, 50 did a little ribbing. Which, again, if the situation had been called correctly would have been fine. If you're getting high before your shift you need someone to give you a kick in the ass. But unfortunately, this was not the case, and 50 made a poor judgement call. It happens. He should apologize to the kid personally and leave it at that.

If the kid wasn't autistic and was just painfully shy, the best case scenario is millions of people laughing at him, and mocking this janitor who's just trying to do his job.

Mocking a janitor is never a good look. A very successful celebrity mocking a janitor is just like, what the fuck is wrong with you? Grow the fuck up.
What are you talking about? You're twisting the entire situation to try and make it seem like 50 was just picking on this guy because he could, or because he was below him. No. He explicitly states in the video that he was doing it because he thought the kid was HIGH with DILATED PUPILS and that it shows a problem with TODAYS GENERATION. Nothing at all to do with anything you mentioned.

Ponn

Banned
Seems like 50 made a mistake. Whatever. I'm not gonna get all worked up about it like most people are. If the situation had actually been called correctly, and the kid was genuinely high as a motherfucker in the airport while working, then none of this would be a problem. Y'all would have a chuckle and carry on with your day. But nope, the kid has social anxiety, and instead of attributing 50's assessment to a mere mistake (because really, how else would 50 know) he's now this "scumbag" who needs to be hung out to dry. Overreaction. It's like when you make a lighthearted "yo mamma" joke to someone and they respond stone faced with "my mom is dead, you piece of shit" instead of understanding that not everyone is aware of your situation and what you're going through. It's nobody's responsibility to know and you need to be prepared to engage in normal social interactions that may challenge that fact. 50 is a clown, has always been a clown, and he's doing nothing out of the ordinary for himself in this video. Again, if the situation was called correctly and the kid was actually high, he'd probably be stoked to have 50 record him and poke a little fun at him. I know I would.

Also, I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder so I have personal experience with this myself. Go through my post history and you'll see anxiety (sometimes severe) littered throughout my posts if you look close enough. I understand it makes me act a little strange in social situations but I do not jump down someone's throat or condemn someone for challenging that or asking questions about it. It's abnormal for them and normal for me, so the responsibility to explain the situation is on my shoulders. I don't deserve special treatment.

50 should have to apologize to the kid himself for an honest mistake and nothing more.

I'm sorry you have to suffer with that, I also have social anxiety disorder along with major depressive order. We have a tendency to self blame ourselves for everything and i'm picking that up in your post. You never have to shift the responsibility of how people react to you on to yourself like that. If you are not harming or effecting anyone in any way its none of their damn business how you may look in public. It certainly is not an "honest mistake" to openly mock someone or try to degrade them in public and then put it on the internet either. None of that is this persons or your responsibility to have to explain themselves to a stranger, especially one who is trying to judge and bully you.

It is acceptable to make fun of high mother fuckers as they attempt to go about their day. It is not acceptable to make fun of those who suffer from a disability.

This is a true misunderstanding, and Fifty should have performed more tests on the subject to confirm the person in question was high.

Vorheez

It certainly is not an "honest mistake" to openly mock someone or try to degrade them in public and then put it on the internet either. None of that is this persons or your responsibility to have to explain themselves to a stranger, especially one who is trying to judge and bully you.
Yeah, but 50 isn't attacking the kid's character or insulting him? He's making comments about the kid's perceived state, not his disposition. You guys keep overlooking that crucial fact. 50 is ribbing who he thought was a stoned kid on the job, not the anxious or shy kid that he ended up being. Has nothing to do with personal attacks or personal gains.

Nuu

Banned

Pretty much this. Internet overreaction at its finest.

Ponn

Banned
Yeah, but 50 isn't attacking the kid's character or insulting him? He's making comments about the kid's perceived state, not his disposition. You guys keep overlooking that crucial fact. 50 is ribbing who he thought was a stoned kid on the job, not the anxious or shy kid that he ended up being. Has nothing to do with personal attacks or personal gains.

I'm not quite sure if your just taking the piss now or what but the crucial fact is its no one's right, not 50 cents or anyones, to 'rib' or comment on strangers perceived state or disposition and make it public. This is the type of think that leads to people policing who goes in and out of bathrooms, confronting people that park in handicapped spots that you don't think fit your perceived conceptions of handicapped, congratulating an overweight woman on being pregnant, etc etc. People are NOT entitled to other people's personal space in public. Now if 50 Cent was this janitors supervisor and he was questioning if it was he high on the job that would be one thing. It would still be inappropriate because as a supervisor you wouldn't go about asking in that manner, video tape it and put it on social media and more than likely as a supervisor you would already be aware of any problems the employee may have.

As an aside if you are not taking the piss about this and are serious about your personal issues and have a therapist this is something you should bring up to them.

The Beard

What are you talking about? You're twisting the entire situation to try and make it seem like 50 was just picking on this guy because he could, or because he was below him. No. He explicitly states in the video that he was doing it because he thought the kid was HIGH with DILATED PUPILS and that it shows a problem with TODAYS GENERATION. Nothing at all to do with anything you mentioned.

If he was actually concerned that an airport employee was "high as fuck", then he should've brought it to his manager's attention ffs. That's what an adult would do. Last time I checked, a 41 year old is an adult. You don't publicly humiliate the guy for millions of people to see. If he was in fact high, the video would've eventually gotten to his management and he would've been fired any way.

I don't need 50 cent telling me about "today's generation", the guy sold crack for a living, and never had a real job growing up. He can state his bullshit opinions all he wants, but don't do it at the expense of others that are working at their less than desirable job.

Vorheez

I don't need 50 cent telling me about "today's generation", the guy sold crack for a living, and never had a real job growing up.
Comparing these situations as if they are even remotely similar tells me all I need to know about how valuable your opinion is on the matter. Any hidden agendas/biases there bud?

As an aside if you are not taking the piss about this and are serious about your personal issues and have a therapist this is something you should bring up to them.

I see a therapist regularly and I'm a 4th year psychology major. I'm fine, thanks.

Ponn

Banned
I see a therapist regularly and I'm a 4th year psychology major. I'm fine, thanks.

That's a bit...concerning...regardless what you have been saying in this thread is harmful and self-depreciating and I don't know of any therapist that would agree with what you have said. No therapist in their right mind would advise its an "honest mistake" to rib and videotape a complete stranger based on just your own personal perception of them. It's a completely self-serving and antagonistic action.

The Beard

Comparing these situations as if they are even remotely similar tells me all I need to know about how valuable your opinion is on the matter. Any hidden agendas/biases there bud?

Well, that's one way to back out of a conversation without adding anything useful. I'm sorry you feel that way, bud.

Vorheez

That's a bit...concerning...regardless what you have been saying in this thread is harmful and self-depreciating and I don't know of any therapist that would agree with what you have said. No therapist in their right mind would advise its an "honest mistake" to rib and videotape a complete stranger based on just your own personal perception of them. It's a completely self-serving and antagonistic action.
Unlike yourself and presumably your therapist, I'm encouraged to formulate my own opinions and be my own man instead of regurgitating someone else's rhetoric. Sorry it doesn't mesh with your prescribed world view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom