• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark Reboot To Offer Quality/Performance Mode; Melee Combat Confirmed

Topher

Gold Member
Xbox Game Studios, The Initiative and Crystal Dynamics’ upcoming reboot of Perfect Dark will offer a Quality and a Performance mode.

A job listing for the position of Technical Art Director at The Initiative has revealed that the studio’s upcoming title, Perfect Dark, will feature a Quality and a Performance mode. The new recruit’s responsibilities will include working with Technical and Art Directors to get the highest visual quality out of Unreal Engine for PC and Xbox, for both Performance and Quality engine modes.

Perfect dark quality performance mode

Furthermore, the LinkedIn profile for Adam Lawson, former Senior Gameplay Animator on Perfect Dark at Crystal Dynamics, states that the game will feature both “synced” and “un-synced” melee combat.

“Synced” melee combat likely refers to synchronized animation frames for the attacking player and the defending NPC or vice versa in one-on-one encounters. This would include choreographed fight motions such as stealth takedowns. “Un-synced” melee combat actions would likely involve more basic animations with no dependencies, such as throwing a punch at an enemy and then having it react in a certain way.
perfect-dark-melee-combat-information.jpg

Previously, it was revealed via the LinkedIn profile of the Principal Technical Animator at The Initiative that Perfect Dark takes advantage of Unreal Engine 5’s MetaHuman to deliver realistic-looking character faces. Thornock is involved in the development of the Maya tool pipeline for animation, rigging, and character art. He has worked to integrated MetaHuman faces into the pipeline and push the main body deformation with extra focus given to hands. He has also collaborated with the engineering team from Humain on the development of a streamlined and a properly interpolating RBF for Unreal Engine.
For the uninitiated, MetaHuman is a complete framework that gives creators the ability to create highly realistic human characters. It includes MetaHuman Creator, a free cloud-based app that enables the user to create fully rigged photo-realistic digital humans within minutes.

Glad to see performance mode will be included in the game.

A bit hilarious how much is revealed in job postings and Linkedin.

Last edited:
The original was a classic, developed by a studio at the top of its game.

Whatever this is is going to suck and be a bastardized version at best.

At this point, I've really lost faith in Microsoft's ability to execute with Xbox anymore. Their whole slate is bootsy, and have managed to tank every major first party release for XSX, so far.

I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, but apparently they're still hiring for a game that should've been out years ago.

Last edited:
The original was a classic, developed by a studio at the top of its game.

Whatever this is is going to suck and be a bastardized version at best.

At this point, I've really lost faith in Microsoft's ability to execute with Xbox anymore. Their whole slate is bootsy, and have managed to tank every major first party release for XSX, so far.

I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, but apparently they're still hiring for a game that should've been out years ago.
but it's going to offer quality/perfomace mode 🤷🏼‍♂️

Why do these companies keep announcing games that are like a decade off? I know they are trying to build up hype and excitement, but it looks desperate and silly imo. I think we’ll play Perfect Dark in around 3 to 5 years generously speaking at this rate.

Moses85

All the dev time and money spent of fucking Perfect Dark of all things. A franchise that died 19 years ago for very good reason.
It was treated like a Dog nobody wanted. Technically (it still holds up very Well) it was very good but the storyline was so dam bad.
The first game was genius and the Brand still has a lot of potential.

Soodanim

How's Playtonic doing these days? That's where half of Rare's team went. It's a shame they aren't involved, they would likely have some good input on something they originally made.

This project might end up being another Duke Nukem Forever, being a day late and a dollar short to be of any note. I still have love for the original though, so I'll hold onto a tiny bit of hope for an American company trying to reboot this British company's game.

Ozriel

M$FT
That's why I said, 'reads like,' not that it's damage control

And what exactly is the ‘damage’ being controlled here?

Why do these companies keep announcing games that are like a decade off? I know they are trying to build up hype and excitement, but it looks desperate and silly imo. I think we’ll play Perfect Dark in around 3 to 5 years generously speaking at this rate.

How exactly were they supposed to hire for a new studio without announcing the game they’re working on?

Darsxx82

The game is closer than people think (or want seeing some comments 😉).

Matt Botty himself acknowledged that he wanted to show it last year but the TI people stopped him because they wanted it to be shown in the best possible way and close to launch. That Crystal Dynamics is behind it gives me confidence that it will come to fruition (at least in the technological aspect where The Coalition also helps)

The summer Showcase could be a place for a trailer, but my bet is on TGA because it seems like Gears 6 is going to claim the spotlight in the summer.

They should just cancel the game. It’s clear that this game will not have anything in common except for its name. It’s crazy that they named the game already before they even decided yet what the game will actually be.

They should just cancel the game. It’s clear that this game will not have anything in common except for its name. It’s crazy that they named the game already before they even decided yet what the game will actually be.
What are you talking about? what's not PD about what we've seen and know about the game so far?

keefged4

I mean this is doomed to fail, the original is an extremely tall order to live up to. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Worst case scenario this is as good as Crackdown 3. Best case scenario this is as good as Halo Infinite’s campaign. Middle case scenario it’s somewhere in between.

Just play the original.

Games that take this long usually suffer from a donkey shit launch. And to be fair this franchise isn’t held in high standards by most or getting the rose tinted glasses treatment.

This is likely a RedFall 2 quality game in the works…
I remember the first reboot back on the Xbox (yes I'm old) and it's largely forgotten. Typical launch game.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Don't have a lot of faith in this one to be honest.

Hope to be wrong, but I just don't see modern devs doing multi-objective, semi-open levels anymore. This most probably will be either an open-world or a series of linear missions, with some rpg-lite elements or some shit like that.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Someone’s going to eat crow…but who? 🤔
Well I said it's a guess 🤷‍♂️ but Booty was on the friends per second podcast 1 year ago in the lead up to E3 2023, and he was joking about talking about to the Perfect Dark director about pushing hard to make sure they are ready for 2024. Not sure why he'd say anything like that publicly if the trailer wasn't at least close to that.

Matsuchezz

This game will be DOA. Once Joanna went redhead this game went to shit. It was really bad. This game will be a dud. BAU for mgs their output suck balls.

GriffinCorp

I can't wait to see something on this game. I'm guessing it will be a launch title for the next Xbox console. I keep hoping we might see a few screenshots soon wasn't it was announced in 2020?

Sorcerer

I think the first graphic mode should be actually making the game appear.
Will probably never see the game because "In what world will Perfect Dark make Playstation users switch to Xbox?". Digital Libraries!!!
Put Joana Dark in Call of Duty.
Duty, Duty, Duty!!!
Wash your hands.

Last edited:
Top Bottom