• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark Reboot To Offer Quality/Performance Mode; Melee Combat Confirmed

SJRB

Gold Member
oh-boy-spanky-George-McFarland.gif

MELEE COMBAT CONFIRMED!!!!!

WE EATIN TONIGHT BOYS!!!

HL3.exe

Confirmed! Had gun in the right bottom corner.

Confirmed! Guns can be reloaded._

Confirmed! Has a menu screen to start a new game.

And what exactly is the ‘damage’ being controlled here?

How exactly were they supposed to hire for a new studio without announcing the game they’re working on?
I’m not necessarily talking about these guys alone, but the entire industry. I’m assuming the company can try to keep the game private as possible while informing the developers and not unveil anything official to the public until the game is at least fairly deep in development?

Ozriel

M$FT
I’m not necessarily talking about these guys alone, but the entire industry. I’m assuming the company can try to keep the game private as possible while informing the developers and not unveil anything official to the public until the game is at least fairly deep in development?

ideally, recruitment suffers if your target devs don’t have an idea what you’re working on, or the tools you’re using.

They could certainly go with generic stuff like the engine, studio location, perks etc. but at least you need to give some details about the genre you’re working on etc. and Perfect Dark had already leaked by then. Same way we knew about the Playground Fable remake long before the official announcement.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
this reads like damage control.

Ro7J7zK.gif

How could they do that?
You cant really advertise a project while also keeping said project private.
Why would a dev who does hard surface modeling specializing in futuristic vehicle designs apply to a company thats currently making a game set in the middle ages?
Once a projects NDA lifts word is out there, better just to have a trailer or design docs public....if the project is under NDA then chances are any talent you havent actively scouted has no idea they are perfect for the role.

Concept videos show intent to prospective devs, you(as a dev) are likely to approach a studio/project knowing your skillset fits in with what they are doing, otherwise you might just sit where you are comfortably.
One of the devs from Rocksteady moved to EA to work on the Black Panther game because he specilizes in African themed designs, if EA never annopunced they were making a Black Panther game, he probably would have just stayed at Rocksteady right?

So you announce these things to attract attention not only from genpop but from developers too.

Dr.Morris79

the game will come out, with Crystal Dynamics working on the project. But that's also a guarantee of mediocrity.
Yep, Crystal Dynamics have been a real beacon of hope lately

You'd have to be living in cuckoo land to believe it's going to be anything other than a hot turd with them at the helm.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I had almost forgotten that this project exists, not to mention the studio. Crazy to think they were founded in 2018 and we still know so little about their project..
Just had to check that myself... New studio.... almost 6 years in operation, NO game released, not even footage shown.

How is this even possible? It's like buring money.

Just had to check that myself... New studio.... almost 6 years in operation, NO game released, not even footage shown.

How is this even possible? It's like buring money.
What you think, that there's no game being created, that no one at Microsoft has checked on its progress? That they go to work and eat doughnuts all day?

FR1908

I forgot about Xbox's Metroid Prime 4. It's not that my expectations were high, but this is one of those titles that Microsoft needed to compete against games like The Last of Us and Spider-Man. 'All' those Bethesda games will probably be fun, but typical games made for PC

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
What you think, that there's no game being created, that no one at Microsoft has checked on its progress? That they go to work and eat doughnuts all day?
Well, I do assume that they scrapped and restarted the game multiple times at this point but I baffled they are allowed to do this for this long. Like, don't they do extensive pre-production to evaluate whats working and what isn't?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well, I do assume that they scrapped and restarted the game multiple times at this point but I baffled they are allowed to do this for this long. Like, don't they do extensive pre-production to evaluate whats working and what isn't?

I think that's exactly why they hired Crystal Dynamics to co-develop, something somewhere with that Initiative studio was not working.

I think that's exactly why they hired Crystal Dynamics to co-develop, something somewhere with that Initiative studio was not working.
Wouldn't it be more down to the size of the studio? The Initiative is no more than 50 people right? A AAA game needs a studio substantially bigger to deliver I'd imagine?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wouldn't it be more down to the size of the studio? The Initiative is no more than 50 people right? A AAA game needs a studio substantially bigger to deliver I'd imagine?

Could be, but if you compare The Initiative with another new studio they opened near that timeframe, The Coalition, those guys were able to put out some game and have effectively been working as a great support studio for other 1P developers on MS's behalf as well.

Top Bottom