• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 and Persona 5 Dancing Interview + Initial Game Details

PK Gaming

Via Persona Central

Famitsu Interview
The Famitsu feature includes an interview with Atlus producer Kazuhisa Wada:

Development
◾After the positive reception to Persona 4: Dancing All Night, even with songs released months after the game’s launch, the team was encouraged to make a Persona 3 “Sound Action” game. But the development team was in the midst of developing Persona 5 at the time, so they wanted to get ready for people who enjoyed “Persona 5” to enjoy a “Sound Action” title as well. Because of that, they decided to release two games at the same time.
◾Using the know-how they developed by working on the previous title, they can use that experience to hone elements such as character visuals, dance choreography, etc. The Persona 3 models accurately reflect the illustrations for the first time in Persona 3: Dancing Moon Night, which will give it a fresh feeling just with that.

Aesthetics
◾While staying true to the character’s appearances in Persona 3, they will have features including unexpected acrobatic movements. Similarly, for Persona 5: Dancing Star Night, the dance choreography has been examined carefully with the motion actors who performed at rehearsals and recorded motion captures, adding to the dance quality more than in the previous title.

Characters, Songs & Replacement for Story Mode
◾Besides the details introduced this time, new characters will be revealed on after the other as with the previous title. There will be various features, such as remixes of songs by notable composers and completely new songs.
◾It will be explained further in a subsequent update, but there will be a new mode replacing story mode. This element will focus on the characters interacting with each other.

Dengeki
The Dengeki PlayStation feature includes a special interview from Kazuhisa Wada (producer) and Ryota Kozuka (composer):

Development
◾Kazuhisa Wada was originally going to be the producer and director of both titles, as with Persona 4: Dancing All Night, however the direction of the game was eventually taken over by another person (Kiyoshi Miwa), and now Wada is concentrating on his role as a producer.
◾Ryota Kozuka’s role will be the same as with the previous game, which is to mean anything revolving around sound. New additions are being made such as with opening songs, new background music, remixes, and sound effects.
◾Wada felt the love fans had for the characters in P4D, and wants to similarly deepen that love with P3D and P5D.

Improvements from P4D
◾In P4D, the costumes and dance pairings gave a sense of who the characters were, and Wada states that they are going further to convey their personalities with the new games with elements like improved dance choreography.
◾As a response to Dengeki PlayStation stating that the Persona 3 models came out looking very good, Wada says that it’s the first time that the head and bodies of the Persona 3 models are accurately represented, which is a big deal.
◾Wada states that, the main difference for the PS4 version is that it will be in 60 frames per second, which causes quite a different impression compared to the Vita version. In general, the visuals have improved a lot compared to in Persona 4: Dancing All Night.
◾The gameplay systems follow the ones in P4D, with Wada saying that they’ve added and removed various elements.

Aesthetics & Story
◾Kozuka states that, with the “Persona 3” sound having been established with theatrical animations and stage plays, the theme song reflects that while doing something new. Meanwhile, “Persona 5” as a series has only just begun, so the freedom to create its theme song was greater.
◾While Wada wants to increase the appreciation for the characters through the new Persona dancing titles, Kozuka says that the games these titles are derived from have serious stories—which will be expanded on in these rhythm games—but he also wants to put powerful and colorful elements that you can’t have in the RPGs. He feels this will broaden the range of the Persona series.
◾All of the Atlus Sound Team are participating in remixes for the rhythm games, as well as a variety of notable artists for remixes.

I'm intrigued, I liked P4D but never finished the awful story mode so the best possible thing to happen to these games is remove any semblance of story whatsoever and focus on the ridiculous dancing.

SephLuis

I just hope the gameplay of the rhythm part is improved greatly.

Playing on the highest difficulty of P4D was problematic.

ZoronMaro

Interested in what their replacing story mode with, shitty totally-canon spin-off stories were the only reason I got tired of the P4 milking, they could literally just drop any semblance of being canon and I'd be way happier.

They won't though, and I'll still play whatever shitty spin-off not-story-mode no matter how eye-rolling it is because I'm a huge sucker.

Cool, zero mention of any improvements of the beatmaps. Fan-fucking-tastic. Because what we really needed were more elaborate dance sequences.

On a more positive note, I'm hopeful that the lack of a traditional story mode means they won't try to cram an unfortunate narrative into games that honestly don't really need them. Just give me cool characters and awesome tunes (and please please please decent rhythm gameplay this time) and I'll be quite happy.

It sounds there is going to be some kind of narative based on that character interaction quote. Though I actually liked P4D's story outside the tedious middle where it just became a retred of the shadow fights. I really liked Kanami's part especially.
That said I can't wait to here the new songs.

I could see social link storylines occurring between party members instead of a full on story mode. Interested in both but will probably settle for one at the start. I expect Shinji x koromaru dancing. Curious if they will bring Japanese dub since persona 5 had both. Don't care for p3 since I'm fond of the English cast but have only heard the Japanese dub for p5.

Gitaroo

I pretty much just play through all the songs in p4d and didn't bother with the story. I don't think any music game need story beside gitarooman.

It sounds there is going to be some kind of narative based on that character interaction quote. Though I actually liked P4D's story outside the tedious middle where it just became a retred of the shadow fights. I really liked Kanami's part especially.
That said I can't wait to here the new songs.

Yeah, I'd be cool with some story content, but I don't care about it being canon and I really really don't want a retread of Persona 3/5. P4D thankfully didn't seem too awful with flanderizing its characters compared to Q and Arena/Ultimax, so as long as the character writing maintains at least that level of nuance I'll be okay. If we get something on the level of that Kanami section (minus the somewhat unfortunate dance instructor stereotype), all the better.

But also seriously please fix the beatmaps please fix the beatmaps please fix the beatmaps.

I'm intrigued, I liked P4D but never finished the awful story mode so the best possible thing to happen to these games is remove any semblance of story whatsoever and focus on the ridiculous dancing.

I feel like the P4D story could have been more interesting if it wasn't so expository. Same problem with P4A.

Top Bottom