• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
Yup. It's so hard to get motivated to play through P3 because of decision paralysis... I just can't pick between full 3D representation and battle control + FeMC.

FES is the only way to experience P3 for the first time. Anyone who says otherwise is entirely terrible and untrustworthy.

CorvoSol

Is Chie's assist attack the best or what? "Galactic Punt" is hilarious. I mean she's so stoked, and then that cut in where she's even MORE giddy, and then she just runs up and punts the enemy out of the fight.

I laughed. Every. Single. Time.

PaulloDEC

Is Chie's assist attack the best or what? "Galactic Punt" is hilarious. I mean she's so stoked, and then that cut in where she's even MORE giddy, and then she just runs up and punts the enemy out of the fight.

I agree with this. Love her leg-stretch animation, and seeing your foe fly off into the distance (especially when she targets one of the gold glove dudes)... so good.

PK Gaming

Chie: OOH OOH, LET MEEEE DO IT!

CorvoSol

Lz1rZrL.gif

"Waaaaaaaaa taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

PaulloDEC

"Waaaaaaaaa taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

That might actually be my favourite portrait of Chie too, she looks so heroic/dynamic:

Kinda makes me wish they'd worked on making the character models look closer to the illustrations in P4. The models are good, but am I right in thinking they're very slightly... not chibi-fied, but cutesied up a bit? They always struck me as looking a little more rounded and childlike than their illustrated counterparts.

Acid08

Banned
Kinda makes me wish they'd worked on making the character models look closer to the illustrations in P4. The models are good, but am I right in thinking they're very slightly... not chibi-fied, but cutesied up a bit? They always struck me as looking a little more rounded and childlike than their illustrated counterparts.

This is one thing I'm really anticipating with P5. Some real ass character models finally.

CorvoSol

That might actually be my favourite portrait of Chie too, she looks so heroic/dynamic:

I like the summer variant even more.

Dantis

Yup. Soejima and Hashino talked about it in the P3 art book interview.

It was a deliberate choice due to the resources available to them. Basically they thought it would be better to do a deliberately lo-fi looking style and embrace it than try and do something high end and pull it off badly.

The Persona Team are really smart with stuff like that.

PaulloDEC

I like the summer variant even more.

Wait, the portraits change depending on outfit? I'm totally checking that out.

Also, I'd just like to say how disappointed I was when I found I couldn't form a towel-only dungeon party. What's up with that?

It was a deliberate choice due to the resources available to them. Basically they thought it would be better to do a deliberately lo-fi looking style and embrace it than try and do something high end and pull it off badly.

If we're talking technical constraints, that's fair enough. Hopefully they've embraced the PS3 for Persona 5 with a more unified look for the characters.

Caladrius

The most probable answer to that is they probably either didn't have the budget for it or didn't think it was important to refine the character models, since the text and portraits or the actual battle were what you focus on 90% of the time. The camera is placed somewhat far off for the most part too.(In a way quite reminiscent of a sitcom, I just realized.)

EDIT: I am a filthy liar and you should listen to Dantis instead.

CorvoSol

Wait, the portraits change depending on outfit? I'm totally checking that out.

Also, I'd just like to say how disappointed I was when I found I couldn't form a towel-only dungeon party. What's up with that?

I think they only change based on the outfits you wear around town. So when it is summer uniform, summer clothes, for instance.

And yeah, I was kinda bummed that the towel set didn't extend to the girls. I assume it is a costume I can get through sidequests, though? I dunno, I didn't do any sidequests at all, haha.

PaulloDEC

The most probable answer to that is they probably either didn't have the budget for it or didn't think it was important to refine the character models, since the text and portraits or the actual battle were what you focus on 90% of the time. The camera is placed somewhat far off for the most part too.(In a way quite reminiscent of a sitcom, I just realized.)

EDIT: I am a filthy liar and you should listen to Dantis instead.

Nice thoughts anyway!

It always seemed weird to me, especially given that the biggest difference between the models and the illustrations was basic proportions. Making the characters slightly taller and thinner alone probably would've helped a lot.

I think they only change based on the outfits you wear around town. So when it is summer uniform, summer clothes, for instance.

And yeah, I was kinda bummed that the towel set didn't extend to the girls. I assume it is a costume I can get through sidequests, though? I dunno, I didn't do any sidequests at all, haha.

To be perfectly honest it wasn't even pervy motivations in my case. I just thought it'd be hilarious to have the whole team, guys and gals, roaming around fighting monsters dressed like they'd just jumped out of the shower. I kinda felt like I'd had my wrist slapped when I found it wasn't an option for the girls, ha.

They only change based on the current season sadly.

Ah, bummer.

ramyeon

MC's Hardboiled Dojima look, Gekkoukan Uniform, Velvet Room & Detective Naoto are the best costumes. So good. I'm glad that costumes didn't work as armour in P4G. They were pretty useless in P3FES&P3P.

Acid08

Banned
MC's Hardboiled Dojima look, Gekkoukan Uniform, Velvet Room & Detective Naoto are the best costumes. So good. I'm glad that costumes didn't work as armour in P4G. They were pretty useless in P3FES&P3P.

Kung Fu Chie is best Chie.

Halloween Yukiko is best Yukiko.

Midwinter Kanji is best Kanji.

Fuck the rest.

ramyeon

At risk of all Chie fans hating me, I didn't really use her in P4G. Tried to keep a different party than my first play through of vanilla and ended up settling with Yukiko, Kanji, Naoto.

MC in Gekkoukan, Yukiko in her kimono, Kanji in his awesome cheer-squad outfit and Naoto in that awesome Sherlock Holmes-esque Detective costume.

Yeah, definitely the smart choice.

Hopefully they an pull off something real nice for P5 though, I'd imagine (or hope, at least) that the budget is quite a bit bigger too.

Meia

The best was in Vanilla when she can instantly get rid of one of the other shadows in shadow Kanji's fight this way. :D

I love Chie's track suit outfit, more for the bruce lee pose she does as a victory pose, but also just her reaction when she gets it from the Fox. Giddy is the right word, but it can be tricky to even get.

Caladrius

Nice thoughts anyway!

It always seemed weird to me, especially given that the biggest difference between the models and the illustrations was basic proportions. Making the characters slightly taller and thinner alone probably would've helped a lot.

The spherical heads were a bigger problem, methinks.

Armor isn't really that important unless you're playing on Maniac. I got through just fine on the mid-game costumes.

At risk of all Chie fans hating me, I didn't really use her in P4G. Tried to keep a different party than my first play through of vanilla and ended up settling with Yukiko, Kanji, Naoto.

MC in Gekkoukan, Yukiko in her kimono, Kanji in his awesome cheer-squad outfit and Naoto in that awesome Sherlock Holmes-esque Detective costume.

I almost always roll Yukiko/Kanji/Teddie or Kanji/Naoto/Teddie. The costumes are generally a mixture of the Midwinter, Summer and Velvet Room.

I honestly could never go back to the PS2 version because of how much the "two outfits the entire year" thing drove me completely insane.

Yeah, definitely the smart choice.

Hopefully they an pull off something real nice for P5 though, I'd imagine (or hope, at least) that the budget is quite a bit bigger too.

Considering how much they skimped out on SMTIV's presentation at times they better.

pan-hime

Gekkoukan Uniform all day, everyday for me.

Also, will they keep all-out attacks in P5? I hope so. They always get me pumped every time when my teammates asked for one.
If then, I wished for animated AOA portraits like this:
tumblr_lvjopiwaup1qjricxo1_500.gif

dumb wish, I know.

FluxWaveZ

Sounds like people are starting to discover secret P4A2 supers. I knew Yu had one and I thought this was Yosuke's until just now when I was informed that it's actually just a new plain super.

Someone said they saw one for Kanji and Aigis. Must be pretty "secret" if they're just being discovered now.

._.

i haven't left the house all day and the day is almost over all because of this game

feels like im playing scooby doo. i already love this more than p3

PK Gaming

Sounds like people are starting to discover secret P4A2 supers. I knew Yu had one and I thought this was Yosuke's until just now when I was informed that it's actually just a new plain super.

Someone said they saw one for Kanji and Aigis. Must be pretty "secret" if they're just being discovered now.

Holy crap really? I thought Yu alone was special, haha. I wonder if they're all 150SP gimmick supers.

Then the Aigis suplex... might be a reality...

wmlk

Just finished Persona 4...I can't even describe the emotions right now.

The heartbreak of leaving people you love and quite possibly never seeing them again. There will come a day where they won't matter to you, and you won't matter to them anymore. Although we go our separate paths, you will always think about what could have been, and how special the time that you spent with them was. We all go through times like this in our lives.
Almost feel like it would be an injustice to touch the game ever again.

FluxWaveZ

Holy crap really? I thought Yu alone was special, haha. I wonder if they're all 150SP gimmick supers.

Apparently, the conditions for Aigis' are: 0 bullets, Persona broken, Orgia overheated and 150 SP.

Not sure if I should believe a lot of this, but someone's saying they saw it, so I'll wait to see some pics/videos myself.

ramyeon

Just finished Persona 4...I can't even describe the emotions right now.

The heartbreak of leaving people you love and quite possibly never seeing them again. There will come a day where they won't matter to you, and you won't matter to them anymore. Although we go our separate paths, you will always think about what could have been, and how special the time that you spent with them was. We all go through times like this in our lives.
Almost feel like it would be an injustice to touch the game ever again.
I take it you either weren't playing Golden or didn't get the True Ending with Epilogue :p

wmlk

I take it you either weren't playing Golden or didn't get the True Ending with Epilogue :p

I know you meet them again in Golden. Again, I just feel like the game ending the way it did was crushingly realistic and bittersweet.
That's why I think it would be an injustice to visit the game again, at least for a long time.

Squire

Banned

How cool. Hurry up and announce this, Atlus USA.

I'm actually kinda desperate to do my NG+ of P4G, haha. I'm just kind of putting it off until at least Bravely Default comes out.

I think I took like a two-week break or so. It wasn't hard going right back in at all. I was emotional finishing the game a second time as well, same as the first.

Any of you think you'll get Conception II? I might since I'm always game for a good Atlus localization and I trust them not to bring over smut. I remember hearing the game was so similar to P3/4 it was bordering on plagiarism. Apparently it's actually a solid game though and is actually a parody of your typical harem anime.

Unless I get hooked on FFXIV or something, I could see myself getting it.

wmlk

It still bothers me how the game has this "animu" shell that makes casuals not want to play it. I was reading before how a lot of people were like that, and I was like that too. To be honest it was embarrassing to play the game in front of others not because of the content, but because they would judge it the same way I did before just by looking at it. I was able to get past that initial impression by watching videos of it and reading basically the whole plot on the Internet, and 95% of the game was spoiled for me. :(

That's why you see people coming across Persona 4 after hearing amazing impressions on it. I think people are genuinely surprised at how good the game is. Hopefully Persona 5 sells better this time if it's a really good game.

Gekkoukan Uniform all day, everyday for me.

Also, will they keep all-out attacks in P5? I hope so. They always get me pumped every time when my teammates asked for one.
If then, I wished for animated AOA portraits like this:
tumblr_lvjopiwaup1qjricxo1_500.gif

dumb wish, I know.

I want them to keep it, but I wish they made the animation less cheesy, especially since I basically watch it every fight, seeing that big goofy gas cloud every time gets kinda old.

CorvoSol

How cool. Hurry up and announce this, Atlus USA.

I think I took like a two-week break or so. It wasn't hard going right back in at all. I was emotional finishing the game a second time as well, same as the first.

Any of you think you'll get Conception II? I might since I'm always game for a good Atlus localization and I trust them not to bring over smut. I remember hearing the game was so similar to P3/4 it was bordering on plagiarism. Apparently it's actually a solid game though and is actually a parody of your typical harem anime.

Unless I get hooked on FFXIV or something, I could see myself getting it.

I'm definitely getting Conception II. Year of the RPG, man. YEAR. OF. THE. RPG.

cjkeats

Of course I am. I wanted the first one. I love dumb things and that game has a pretty dumb premise. but yeah, you're completely mistaken about the p3/4 similarity thing, the only thing that felt the same from the demo was the dungeon crawl part. Actually....
I'm pretty sure you're talking about MIND≒0, here.
this has to be what you're talking about.
I still kinda want that to come over. I heard it wasn't too great, but still.
Oh Michael you suave mother-fucker.

Squire

Banned
I'm getting Conception II, but I've never heard this about Conception. I'm pretty sure you're talking about MIND≒0, here.

No, I definitely mean Conception II. It looks quite a bit like a sort of imitation P4 in combat.

Though I'm of course familiar with Mind=0 as well.

FluxWaveZ

No, I definitely mean Conception II. It looks quite a bit like a sort of imitation P4 in combat.

Though I'm of course familiar with Mind=0 as well.

Hm, never heard that the Conception games were bordering on Persona plagiarism like Mind Zero was, but I'm certainly interested in getting Conception II because of how similar the first game resembled Persona at a glance.

Rage inbound

tumblr_mx6xijqNf51s6d3ato1_1280.png

Hahahahahaha

Does Conception 2 let you make test tube babies, if you know what I mean?

The Persona 2 tarots have a very lovely rustic feel to them. I hope P5 redesigns the tarots to be more in line with that.

I want 'em to do something different than both if they redo them. Man theres so many variables of things they could change.. It's exciting to see what they're gonna come up with.

FluxWaveZ

Not too sure why the modern Persona tarot card design should be changed. They've become iconic; I don't see the point in changing things just for the sake of change.

ramyeon

Not too sure why the modern Persona tarot card design should be changed. They've become iconic; I don't see the point in changing things just for the sake of change.
I'm inclined to agree. I love Persona 2 but the series has changed and moved on from that, I can't see them going back to that style any time soon with the Persona series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom