• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie dropped from YouTube's advertising platform after posting 'death to all Jew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

YouTube has pulled PewDiePie from its advertising platform after anti-Semitic videos were posted to his account.

The decision came after Disney chose to cut off its relationship with the YouTube star when it was made aware of videos on the channel that included people showing signs reading "death to all Jews".

YouTube said that the PewDiePie channel would be removed from its advertising platform and that it would also be cancelling a reality show that the YouTube star features in. "We’ve decided to cancel the release of Scare PewDiePie Season 2 and we’re removing the PewDiePie channel from Google Preferred," a spokesperson told The Independent.

Google Preferred is an advertising platform that allows advertisers to contact YouTube's most popular stars and advertise on their platforms. It isn't the only way to advertise on the service, but YouTube highlights it on a special page as a way of accessing "the top 5 per cent of content on YouTube" and feature "alongside some of the most engaging and brandsafe content" on the site.

The videos are no longer allowed to be monetised because they are in violation of YouTube's "advertiser-friendly content guidelines", which are stricter than the normal guidelines and require that people cannot feature "controversial or sensitive subjects and events, including subjects related to war, political conflicts, natural disasters and tragedies, even if graphic imagery is not shown".

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-anti-semitic-death-to-all-jews-a7580206.html

Fucking idiot.

Pulka

dJSVCjj.png

put that in to google translate

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I mean, the video isn't even that bad if you go watch at the link.

He'll still makes millions of dollars, idk if this is permanent, but I think it's a bit extreme.

Razmos

He'll still makes millions of dollars, idk if this is permanent, but I think it's a bit extreme.
When he influences and is seen as a role model to so many young kids, it's probably just the right amount of extreme. The guy should know his audience.

Imagine the kids who watched his videos going around now like "lol kill all jews"

And I'm talking really young kids here

indask8

I liked him back when he did a lot of amnesia/horror games let's play, but I've completely stopped watching his videos now.

Sad that he probably already has enough money that this scandal won't really make a dent in his wallet.

Eh, depends on how quickly he spends all that money and of he can keep up.his cash flow. Celebs aren't known to be miserly with thier money.

Yes pewdiepie is known not to be extravagant with his earnings, and seems pretty level headed when it comes to a lavish lifestyle, but the same can be said, to an extent , with celebs like Jonny depp, who now seems to be nearing serious financial difficulty. He is or was a Hollywood A lister for years.

Living a life of luxury is not cheap no matter how hard you work and even giving up small luxuries can be ruinously difficult.

That's going too far.

Guy was just trying to demonstrate the stupidity of what people would be willing to do for $5...

Oh well, good thing we don't have these issues here... yet.

There was point after he kinda "chilled out" and cut the shrieking and shit that I gave him the benefit of the doubt. He seemed pretty down to earth and transparent in his videos. Idk what happened between then and now but what a tool. Fuck em

MUnited83

For you.
Joking/"trolling" about racism is not okay. It needs to stop.
Of course it's ok. Though you shouldn't do it if the joke is shit. Good comedians like Lous CK can pull it off.
SO THE HONEYMOON'S OVER, RIGHT???

Anybody else here wanna stand up for this cunt?
The dude made a shitty edgy joke and got rightfully dropped from his network, but the dude isn't a nazi or actually wants "death to all jews".

Of course it's ok. Though you shouldn't do it if the joke is shit. Good comedians like Lous CK can pull it off.

The dude made a shitty edgy joke and got rightfully dropped from his network, but the dude isn't a nazi or actually wants "death to all jews".

You're not only ok with people proclaiming death to all jews, but also monetizing it as well?

louiedog

Places like reddit are full of "don't be so sensitive. they're just jokes. also i believe these stereotypes because the majority of my exposure to information about jewish people is this type of thing that people post online."

They might feel like they're joking, but they don't end up as "just jokes" in the long run.

PSqueak

Banned

Compare Louis CK's routine that involves the N-Word (An anecdote about him being shocked about people using the N-Word) with the imagery Pewdiepie used in his video. It's not the same thing.

Plus, if people can't tell you're joking, can you say your joke is harmless tho?

SerTapTap

According to WSJ he's posted multiple videos with multiple separate nazi references each. I'm not about to watch a PDP video just to confirm, but it's pretty fucking open and shut to me.

Especially considering his history of rape jokes, gay jokes. Dude's a bigot. That's all there is to it. Just because you make shitty laughing sounds after being racist doesn't absolve you of being racist.

That's going too far.

Guy was just trying to demonstrate the stupidity of what people would be willing to do for $5...

Oh well, good thing we don't have these issues here... yet.

I mean he could have had them say anything stupid but he chose Nazi propaganda. Can't really defend that but I suppose you are trying. Maybe making JoeySalads "prank" videos with the racism and all was just not a good decision for someone with ties to major corporations.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Joking/"trolling" about racism is not okay. It needs to stop.

Idts, It's ok to joke about just about anything. Just because it's not your type of humor doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed. What platform supports that is another question. Youtube is making a decision that is well in their rights to make.

Reminder to everyone that it was nine videos, not one.

Where're these 9 videos? I'd like to see them before I make hasty condemnations because of them.

According to WSJ he's posted multiple videos with multiple separate nazi references each. I'm not about to watch a PDP video just to confirm, but it's pretty fucking open and shut to me.

Especially considering his history of rape jokes, gay jokes. Dude's a bigot. That's all there is to it. Just because you make shitty laughing sounds after being racist doesn't absolve you of being racist.

Nahhh, jokes are jokes. You make it too easy to become a bigot, to the point that it loses impact. I'll have to go search out these videos, because unlike you, I'm not going to call someone a bigot and refuse to watch what I'm calling him a bigot for.

xaosslug

pretty much a "good for him/that's what you get" cautionary tale for other youtubers that want to be "edgy" or some bullshit.

the sad thing is PewDiePie won't really hurt from any of this backlash, and will likely only get bigger as a result. I mean unless Youtube puts it's foot down and deletes/suspends his channel... this won't hurt him, because his audience doesn't care. smh

Newlove

I watch his videos, but I'm not surprised someone who is sponsoring him wants to cut ties after that 'death to all jews' part of the video. Attempts at controversial jokes are always a fine line, one that he misjudged the repercussions of there.

SO THE HONEYMOON'S OVER, RIGHT???

Anybody else here wanna stand up for this cunt?

Calm down Kermit.

PixelatedBookake

I mean he could have had them say anything stupid but he chose Nazi propaganda. Can't really defend that but I suppose you are trying. Maybe making JoeySalads "prank" videos with the racism and all was just not a good decision for someone with ties to major corporations.

I feel somewhat similar about the whole thing. He was trying to be edgy and it blew up in his face. He should have know better and it sucks for him, but I appreciate how YouTube and Disney aren't allowing stuff like this to be normalized.

The argument against that is that he did make light of committing genocide, and as no one here knows him, then we can only claim to understand his political and ideological leanings based on his actions.

Said actions being very questionable given the current climate. As others have already said, you'd expect this from the likes of /pol/, not a YouTube personality who has expressed woefully little interest or knowledge of political satire.

It is tacky. It is tasteless. It is needless. Ergo, if he isn't to ousted as a Nazi, then he should be ousted as a complete and utter moron. Up to you, which it is.

antibolo

Banned
Dude is a role model to literally millions of kids around the world.

So yeah, that stuff was very much not acceptable.

Breads

Banned
His apology video was fucking gross. He literally looks into the camera and in a dead eyed stare and figuratively says "if I were going to make anti semitic jokes here are the things I would say" [insert unquestionable anti antisemitism] while saying it's nothing more than his brand of humor.

You know what not being an anti semite looks like? Not making these jokes and saying these things and currying favor with god damn nazis who celebrated you for the winks you keep giving them.

SeanC

I don't think the guy is a bigot or racist or whathaveyou, but he's still making light of something and saying dumb shit.

While anything can be a joke, you actually have to have talent as a comedian to pull it off. He doesn't.

Edit: Plus you're under the Disney banner so yeah....moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom