• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pewdiepie Says He's Going To Stop Making Nazi Jokes After Charlottesville

Status
Not open for further replies.
QPIeJAU.jpg

Okay bro...

Wedzi

Banned
Better than nothing. If there's any good to take away from this past weekend is that at least more people are waking up to this nonsense.

This is a small, but good step that he didn't have to do. Good for him.

oti

Banned
Is it really hard to believe that a 27 year old living in a homogeneous white country and society could be oblivious to racism? I thought his original jokes were in very bad taste but this is the kind of response that we should be seeking from people.

Yes.

You're talking about a guy who makes his living off the Internet even.

Did he lose his public library membership card and hence couldn't read up on history or what?

Did he never go to school or what?

Excusing this kind of "ignorance" is disgusting.

Love how it takes protests, an attack and some violence to shake him from the jokes but the Holocaust was palatable.

Their legacy is to realise they're nothing but international blue Peter presenters.

‘I mean, they’re just jokes. There’s not actual Nazis out there, what are you talking about?’

What an idiot, and what display of lack of awareness of the world around him. The cynic in me wonders if he's saying that bc he saw sub numbers going down.

”At this point, I'd really just want to distance myself from all of this," Kjellberg said. ”I remember back when everything happened in February, I was sort of like, ‘I mean, they're just jokes. There's not actual Nazis out there, what are you talking about?' And then I look at this, and I'm like oh, I see. OK!"
Jesus, this is what he thought? Well, better late than never, but he can't undo what he did. Maybe now he'll recognize the responsibility he has due to the platform he's on and the giant influence he has over young, impressionable minds.

TissueBox

It sucks that he has such a toxic following as well. Not all of them, of course, but a very vocal and substantial corner of them. It also puts him in an influential but stressful position, but I hope he manages to stick through.

Is it really hard to believe that a 27 year old living in a homogeneous white country and society could be oblivious to racism? I thought his original jokes were in very bad taste but this is the kind of response that we should be seeking from people.

Us living in homogeneous white countries still learn about the Holocaust in high school tho. I'd get your point if this was about casual racism or blackface or something like that, not actual nazism.

Now I know some of you are right to say he should know better, but the best thing to do is to encourage him positively on this.

Well, I mean, if you are choosing to comment or tweet about him on twitter. When someone changes his mind to something good it's worth being happy for him about.

Alucrid

Banned

and to think all it took for him to believe that neo nazis actually exist is for one to kill a woman

Jesus, this is what he thought? Well, better late than never, but he can't undo what he did. Maybe now he'll recognize the responsibility he has due to the platform he's on and the giant influence he has over young, impressionable minds.

let's be real. that's not what he actually thought, he just didn't give a shit back then. only now it's become extremely distasteful to do so and in turn he's trying to distance himself from his past actions in a way that makes him look squeaky clean.

Zyae

Yes.

You're talking about a guy who makes his living off the Internet even.

Did he lose his public library membership card and hence couldn't read up on history or what?

Did he never go to school or what?

Excusing this kind of "ignorance" is disgusting.

I dont think it is. Many white people in America are oblivious to the kind of hatred and bigotry that Blacks receive in our own country

I enjoy Pewd's content but I don't like it when he makes typical ignorant white guy comments. He's not the only person I know who makes these types of comments and he won't be the last. That being said any step he can take to improve himself and stay woke when he's making content is a good thing.

Horns

Oh how lucky we are that he's being a decent person now that he's received a great deal of attention and a terrible tragedy occurred. What a swell guy.

...they WERE funny ?

dear god

Germany was having trouble
What a sad, sad story
Needed a new leader to restore
Its former glory
Where, oh, where was he?
Where could that man be?
We looked around and then we found
The man for you and me
Where, oh, where was he?
Where could that man be?
We looked around and then we found
The man for you and me!

And now it's...
Springtime for Hitler and Germany!

oti

Banned
I dont think it is. Many white people in America are oblivious to the kind of hatred and bigotry that Blacks receive in our own country

That just sounds completely insane to me. We in Germany learned about the KKK and yet the US education system fails to teach about racism? How's that possible?

And Pewdiepie is Swedish anyway.

Hektor

It sucks that he has such a toxic following as well. Not all of them, of course, but a very vocal and substantial corner of them. It also puts him in an influential but stressful position, but I hope he manages to stick through.

A lot of his following grew up with him making rape jokes 24/7. He didn't just attract a toxic following, he helped fostering it by telling children that yelling

"RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE IS FUN!!! LETS RAAAAAAPEEEE HEEER!!!"

is fun and acceptable.

He literally made a freaking song about rape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR3-_f6KV7k

This is in fact written and produced by him.

He took it down some time later because he realized that rapejokes are tasteless and offensive.

Then another few years later he now went on to make nazi- and holocaust jokes instead.

Dude's just irresponsible and entirely deserves his toxic following.

Dynasty

Like I said in the previous thread, hopefully this also makes him question the people who he associates with as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom