• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT3| PS4 ways to play

Chucker

So I was looking at my login history, last time I played was almost 3 years ago, holy smokes.

Logged in, made a new Dewman because they seem neat and get to the ship.
They're playing Samba De Amigo music. I'm never playing anything else.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm thinking of trying this out on the PC. Does anything special need to be done, like VPN voodoo, or is it just install the game then run the english patch?

Chucker

My glasses aren't fitting on my head on my main anymore. Any way to fix that?

Edit: Found it!

Other than the menu most of my stuff seems to still be in Japanese. There is an item translation, right?
Found that too.

Caim

I'm thinking of trying this out on the PC. Does anything special need to be done, like VPN voodoo, or is it just install the game then run the english patch?

I heard only SEA players needed a proxy or something. I'm NA and I got on just fine no VPN needed or anything. Played on both PS4 and PC.

Nah, nothing is being done. Those who bought the Returners now are sitting on a sizable fortune.
I wish I wasn't lazy and actually bought some before maint ; _;

I'm being told that a future EM, which was apparently going to offer Returner II stuff as a reward, is now going to offer Returner III instead. So it sounds like they intend to crash the Returner II market entirely.

Chucker

My XBO controller doesn't want to play nice with the game. It won't recognize my LT and RT.

When I dash, I also use whatever item I have selected.

Is there a way to adjust the screen size on PS4? Getting a little bit cut off on all sides for some reason (why some games do this and not others? NFS Rivals had it chopped heaps with no setting i could see)

Is there a way to adjust the screen size on PS4? Getting a little bit cut off on all sides for some reason (why some games do this and not others? NFS Rivals had it chopped heaps with no setting i could see)

You have to adjust for display overscan from the PS4 system menu. You also probably have to restart the game for changes made there to take effect.

how friendly is this for someone that doesn't know japanese at all?

I've been playing this game for almost 4 years with no english patch despite not knowing any japanese. The menus are simple enough to navigate and there are guides (which i've linked in the OP) that have pictures along with explanations of just about every menu in the game. The Japanese is not as big a hurdle as one may initially think.

Thank you :) No restart necessary. I must not have noticed it in other games due to UI position, it was way off!

No problem. I'm late in mentioning this, but it's always better to check if the TV itself can display reduced/no overscan rather than adjusting for it in software; look for your TV's zoom options and see if there's a Screen Fit, Native, or Dot By Dot option.

Sophia

pso20160421_122348_0011r8s.png

Summoner breaks Episode 1 bosses so badly lol

Ogni-XR21

I played the PC version the first year it was released and I'm kind of tempted to give this a try. If only for seeing my characters again after all this time.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Summoner breaks Episode 1 bosses so badly lol
I really should give that class a try. I'm diligently leveling all my pets (one of each kind), even have one 13 star one, but all the exp to lv 30 (which was required for some campaign or something iirc) came from XP tickets and COs.

Sophia

I really should give that class a try. I'm diligently leveling all my pets (one of each kind), even have one 13 star one, but all the exp to lv 30 (which was required for some campaign or something iirc) came from XP tickets and COs.

It's really fun, but the mechanics + high damage means it trivializes a lot of early content.

Needs a damage reduction and a fighter style Limit Break ability.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is there a guide or recommended resource anyone has if I played ages ago and know about classes / equipment / quests and stuff but not about anything added within the past couple of years?

I know that's pretty vague sorry, I guess I mean with regards to Ep4 stuff or what to do with resources from these gathering nodes and etc.

e: Also I just unlocked the ability to back and do Ep 1-3 things. If I don't care about story, should I bother? I don't know what else doing those matter boards would give me.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is there a guide or recommended resource anyone has if I played ages ago and know about classes / equipment / quests and stuff but not about anything added within the past couple of years?

I know that's pretty vague sorry, I guess I mean with regards to Ep4 stuff or what to do with resources from these gathering nodes and etc.

e: Also I just unlocked the ability to back and do Ep 1-3 things. If I don't care about story, should I bother? I don't know what else doing those matter boards would give me.
You should bother, because:
1) Story missions later on are pretty good, even if you don't care about the story stuff
2) Story unlocks Partner NPCs
3) Clearing Matter Boards -> Achievements -> Items
4) Later matter board items are pretty good

As for guides:
Beginner's Compendium - a bit old, but a good way to remember basic things. Includes crafting.
Gathering Guide
New Type weapon grinding
Collect File explanation

If you don't know something, you can always check the bumped guide list

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
You should bother, because:
1) Story missions later on are pretty good, even if you don't care about the story stuff
2) Story unlocks Partner NPCs
3) Clearing Matter Boards -> Achievements -> Items
4) Later matter board items are pretty good

As for guides:
Beginner's Compendium - a bit old, but a good way to remember basic things. Includes crafting.
Gathering Guide
New Type weapon grinding
Collect File explanation

If you don't know something, you can always check the bumped guide list

Alright thanks. Those latter 3 options were what I was curious about so I guess I'll go back.

Caim

For some weird reason, I can't launch the game. Any ideas?

That happened to me once, but I think it was because I was messing around with settings because I would get that error or just a perpetual black screen. So I reset the settings via the Tweaker and repaired any missing/broken files just to be safe and I was able to get on.

ezodagrom

I'm being told that a future EM, which was apparently going to offer Returner II stuff as a reward, is now going to offer Returner III instead. So it sounds like they intend to crash the Returner II market entirely.
In the last livestream they showed that a future update is gonna have a new time attack quest that'll have XH level enemies, that probably means there'll be a XH version of darker's den, so Returner II was probably gonna be a reward for that, and not for an emergency quest.

Windforce

May I ask about how to do the Ep 1-3 matter boards? My character has an "Ep 4" icon next to her, I'd like to do the older things too, I have no idea how to unlock thet 1-3 stuff.

Sophia

May I ask about how to do the Ep 1-3 matter boards? My character has an "Ep 4" icon next to her, I'd like to do the older things too, I have no idea how to unlock thet 1-3 stuff.

When you're starting up, there will be two options on the character select. One of which is "Start Game [EP 1-3]"

Select that, and you'll have the matter boards instead of the Episode 4 story board.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

When you're starting up, there will be two options on the character select. One of which is "Start Game [EP 1-3]"

Select that, and you'll have the matter boards instead of the Episode 4 story board.

Adding to this, you have to progress a short amount in the Ep. 4 story before that option unlocks. Only a mission or two.

In the last livestream they showed that a future update is gonna have a new time attack quest that'll have XH level enemies, that probably means there'll be a XH version of darker's den, so Returner II was probably gonna be a reward for that, and not for an emergency quest.
XH kidnaps are already possible, aren't they? Pretty sure Harukotan TA can be run on XH.

We've had den EMs and LMs also, so I wouldn't rule those out either.

Caim

I think you need to clear Episode 4-1 which should be up to like...the first real mission or whenever you unlock Tokyo missions at the quest board. After that the next time you logout and select your character there will be an episode select before you get into the game.

Windforce

Adding to this, you have to progress a short amount in the Ep. 4 story before that option unlocks. Only a mission or two.

I think you need to clear Episode 4-1 which should be up to like...the first real mission or whenever you unlock Tokyo missions at the quest board. After that the next time you logout and select your character there will be an episode select before you get into the game.

Thanks.

It seems I am stuck at the 003-C quest in my matter board (EP 4). Any idea what to do? I've done all missions available with the lady behind a counter, as well as the weapon tutorials.

Caim

Thanks.

It seems I am stuck at the 003-C quest in my matter board (EP 4). Any idea what to do? I've done all missions available with the lady behind a counter, as well as the weapon tutorials.

I'm not on so I can't check at the moment, but you do need to go back up to the room on the second floor to be able to progress further on the Story Board if anymore scenes are available. If it's still locked you might need to do some Client Orders.

Sophia

It's been a bit since I made my Episode 4 character, but if I recall it requires completion of some of Koffee's orders at the front desk. Specifically, you need to clear Forest Exploration and all related orders and unlock one of the next two areas or something like that.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Question to people who played with both EP1-3 and EP4 boards - do you prefer Matter Boards or the Story Board?

I remember that Matter Board was a real pain for the first year or two (30+ Varda runs, no item!) but then it was made much easier/tolerable in later updates by adding the guaranteed drop gauge, making items themselves worthwhile etc.

That said, I'd take an old school MB over the current "sit here for 30 minutes and watch low quality cutscenes" Story Board.

Sophia

Question to people who played with both EP1-3 and EP4 boards - do you prefer Matter Boards or the Story Board?

I remember that Matter Board was a real pain for the first year or two (30+ Varda runs, no item!) but then it was made much easier/tolerable in later updates by adding the guaranteed drop gauge, making items themselves worthwhile etc.

That said, I'd take an old school MB over the current "sit here for 30 minutes and watch low quality cutscenes" Story Board.

Story Board simply because of level scaling. The Episode 1 matter boards are basically torturous and pointless grinds/hunts with some story scenes inbetween. The Episode 2/3 ones are better, but still needlessly complicated and I'd much prefer everything switched over.

Back when the game first launched, pretty much the only redeeming quality of the matter boards were the fact that you could ignore them entirely. SEGA should have scrapped the entire system ages ago, not left it to hang on like a tumor. Sure, the Episode 4 cutscenes have been pretty awful, especially coming off the Profound Darkness, but at least I can skip past them very quickly.

In practice they're the same thing just that that Story board doesn't have you doing things between cutscenes. While Story Board does let you get through the story faster, I sort of miss the build up of working towards a story mission in the Matter Board. Sure it did waste a ton of time, but at least the critical path nodes had high drop rates and you were getting items while doing it. Also, I don't know if thats just because Ep4's story is trash, but I felt more compelled to view additional cutscenes in the MB than now with the SB. Hell, I still haven't gotten around to seeing the latest batch of Ep4 cutscenes.

CEJames

I managed to create a Sega ID but when I go to the JP PS Store to add the game to the cart, it requires a sign in to the PS network that automatically switches back to my english account and doesn't let me download the game to my PS4....am I missing something here?

I managed to create a Sega ID but when I go to the JP PS Store to add the game to the cart, it requires a sign in to the PS network that automatically switches back to my english account and doesn't let me download the game to my PS4....am I missing something here?
Do you have a Japanese PSN account? You'll need to make one and set your PS4 as primary on it. You could still play on your English account if you prefer the trophies and such to go there, but you won't be able to make PSN purchases that way.

Sophia

Here I was thinking Summoners needed a Fighter style Limit Break, and lo and behold at the bottom of their skill tree there's Alter Ego

Stalk

Decided to give the game my like... fifth try. Many EU players out there? My character was on ship 2 but I can restart whatever
I also caved and bought myself a PS4 copy

I'll still take the storyboard over matterboards (except for the items, which seem much wimpier) in general. And this is excluding the original annoyance and inclusion of the rare mobs that made it even more awful. I get the intent was you were supposed to be going around and coming back these areas over the course of natural play, but with how item drops never caused nodes to advance until the quest was complete was a real pain in my opinion.

So when the time finally came to advance, it was gather, exit/quit quest back to lobby, jump back into the same mission, and then hunt hunt hunt and hope it's an enemy who spawns remotely easier and not something that requires an Emergency Code to spawn.

I do miss the blue field nodes however from the matter boards which gave me a much move varied interaction with the cast and I haven't been too thrilled of the nonstop let's just watch schoolgirls on Earth for most of the cutscenes, vs checking out the npcs and seeing what they're up to since at least it gave an usually varied amount of people instead of the giant focus on one group. This is also coming from someone who likes EP4 as well. Though I do think it's been getting better. The only thing I dislike so far is the small amount of actual story missions we've had so far. But I guess in my mind most of these would just be the blue nodes and if it wasn't like this, it'd just be back to slower matterboard releases.

Maybe I'd like the matterboard more if I was new player again as the drops would definitely been more exciting to me if I was starting off, but being where I am now, I'll take the new method for sure.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I don't know if this is only Ep 1-3 and not 4, but what are the recommended quests recommendations based on? Daily Orders?

I can't do most of the daily orders since I don't have the areas unlocked, but I noticed some of the recommended quest locations are where Daily Order enemies are located and are places I haven't accessed yet.

I don't know if this is only Ep 1-3 and not 4, but what are the recommended quests recommendations based on? Daily Orders?

I can't do most of the daily orders since I don't have the areas unlocked, but I noticed some of the recommended quest locations are where Daily Order enemies are located and are places I haven't accessed yet.

Recommended quests are just randomly chosen quests that cycle daily. The first quest will always be the Free Field quest that has the triboost daily orders. The other 2 recommended quests can be any arks quest. You can select, do, and get the rewards from the recommended quest even if you don't have that quest currently unlocked.
The daily orders themselves aren't entirely random. They cycle in and out. So that's why you'll see things like VH Bal Rodos kill for 250k meseta once every week.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Recommended quests are just randomly chosen quests that cycle daily. The first quest will always be the Free Field quest that has the triboost daily orders. The other 2 recommended quests can be any arks quest. You can select, do, and get the rewards from the recommended quest even if you don't have that quest currently unlocked.
The daily orders themselves aren't entirely random. They cycle in and out. So that's why you'll see things like VH Bal Rodos kill for 250k meseta once every week.

The top three daily orders are always related to the exploration quest in the Featured quest category too.

Alright, thanks.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Wow, this A.I.S. Gold Bonus Quest is amazing. Tons of exp, Lambda Grinders etc.

Windforce

Hi guys! I'm super addicted to this game already. lmao. Level 22 Force. :)

Also, a friend of mine is having problem with the PC version today (he's playing with a translator on). Error NP1013. Yesterday we played just fine (I'm on PS4, he is on PC), but today he cannot play due to something updating and now game won't work. Anyone else experiencing this?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hi guys! I'm super addicted to this game already. lmao. Level 22 Force. :)

I've managed to advance a bit through EP4, so much I unlocked EP1-3.

Now I am stuck with the Matter Board EP1-2. I don't have the Volcano area unlocked to progress (the first quest in this Matter Board is a drop from a Volcano enemy), now what do I do?
Do Coffee's (white haired girl at the right quest counter) client order to unlock free fields, mags etc.

Top Bottom