• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust XBO/Win10 port coming out soon....where is the media for it?

Hexer06

I think it would be better for them to release the game on Xbox Game Pass. A good way to get the service up and going (and if someone wants to just buy it they still can)

That's actually not a bad idea. I also like the "free for the week of E3" approach, but the game is supposed to be out before then.

Calibos

OP this game was super duper niche originally why would MS waste significant resources on a port of a super duper niche game?

To gauge interest in it as a future IP? It worked for me too...I never played the original, but I am interested in this remaster.

Xbox 1 doesn't "need" more games....it needs more "new" ip. This isn't exactly new, but it could be the start of something new that people latch onto.

It could also fall flat...but the risk is needed.

Ushay

Wasn't the game developed with a budget that was almost literally "spare change"? Could be that applies to the marketing too.

I think MS have funding set aside for this, the CG trailer was indication of that when it was released back then. But because development fell flat (surprise), they probably decided to measure its popularity with this remaster first.

As you can probably tell from my Avatar, I'll be getting it.

I will forever uphold that if Microsoft had properly taken the risk of carefully developing a AAA Phantom Dust reboot, it would have been an enormous hit.

It could have met so many criterion for MS:
• Competitive Esports focus, marrying a fighting game with a TCG
• Controller-centric, thus Xbox-PC on even playing-field
• Potential for Killer Instinct or Hearthstone model - super accessible, rife with microtransactions
• Micro-transaction potential - character cosmetics, cards, and maps
• Engaging story, with interesting aesthetic, characters, and soundtrack

I think it could have been a great free to play game. It captures everything that makes a card game good (and those are popular now) and what makes action games good.

AAA... It might not have held up or been a super risk as a $60 product and what it would need to sell.

What big news? I was under the impression we are getting an interview about the game and possible release date. What's this about big news?

At this point I'll consider any news big news haha
Sorry to mislead you. Just hyped and would like to hear something at least.

Apathy

Not sure how much money MS wants to put into advertising PD. Like it's not going to get cod levels of advertising, not like the game originally set the charts on fire. It'll get a modest push at some point but just like the original this one isn't going to be topping charts and selling millions and millions of copies. This one very much was for those niche fans (and that's a good thing)

wwm0nkey

Okay so either today, tomorrow or Saturday for the news drop. I just want to see what went into making this re-release lol

:( ... almost noon on Friday. I can't really recall too many times where game news came out on a weekend, but there's a first for everything right?

Snakeyes

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Hexer06

Dam. Was really hoping for that interview to hit this week. I'm so ready for this game! Do we know if Futatsugi-san is working with them on this? Does MS still have him after Crimson Dragon?

I am shocked - shocked - that MS would silently release one of their few exclusives with absolutely no marketing. After the huge marketing push and loud release that Crimson Dragon, D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, and ReCore had, this is a gigantic change of pace for them. They are usually completely behind their exclusive titles; especially the non-Halo/Forza/Gears titles that help expand their core audience. They have an excellent track record of giving full support to every exclusive, this is such a strange decision and completely breaks from all precedent.

m23

I am shocked - shocked - that MS would silently release one of their few exclusives with absolutely no marketing. After the huge marketing push and loud release that Crimson Dragon, D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, and ReCore had, this is a gigantic change of pace for them. They are usually completely behind their exclusive titles; especially the non-Halo/Forza/Gears titles that help expand their core audience. They have an excellent track record of giving full support to every exclusive, this is such a strange decision and completely breaks from all precedent.

I wasn't expecting much of a push for this game. It's essentially a port and I don't think even Microsoft is expecting it to do big or even okay numbers. It was mentioned this game was being made using existing budget, so doesn't seem like they need a big return on it.

It would be great however if they try to show it off so that more people get exposed to this game. I'm not expecting much other than maybe a cover page on the Xbox store.

Zedox

I wonder what publication has the interview.

EDIT: Everytime I see this thread bumped I thought someone found the interview.

Gestault

I hope Phantom Dust gets the sort of ongoing low-key support that (for example) Killer Instinct has, even if it doesn't get the marquee treatment fans might want. Even for games I'm interested in personally, I've gotta be realistic about marketability for some titles. By that same token, I think a full-throated push for Voodoo Vince was never realistic.

I'm really curious about this tech interview though.

NolbertoS

Phantom Dust pro's are used to cancellations that we patiently are awaiting news even though this game has been pushed out many times. At this stage, I'll take a Phantom Dust port to play against. Glad PAL and other regions will get this awesome game. To me this is the only slight silver lining to a lacklustre Xbox One gaming release this year

sangreal

I will forever uphold that if Microsoft had properly taken the risk of carefully developing a AAA Phantom Dust reboot, it would have been an enormous hit.

It could have met so many criterion for MS:
• Competitive Esports focus, marrying a fighting game with a TCG
• Controller-centric, thus Xbox-PC on even playing-field
• Potential for Killer Instinct or Hearthstone model - super accessible, rife with microtransactions
• Micro-transaction potential - character cosmetics, cards, and maps
• Engaging story, with interesting aesthetic, characters, and soundtrack

If I recall what happened though, it is that the developer was not developing a AAA PD reboot. Then MS realized that is what people wanted and promised a bigger, AAA, game that the developer wasn't prepared for and couldn't deliver. So it is more complicated than "MS thought it was too risky"

Top Bottom