• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Jackson and Pat Riley have had an amazing rivarly over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

They've faced off as players, coaches and now as executives with Phil taking the Knicks job.. Both have also written best selling books as well.

As a Knicks fan since the early 90s, I remember the heated, pun intended, Bulls/Knicks playoff battles. Not pretty basketball, but very intense.

Then seeing Jackson and Riley do their thing with the Lakers and Heat, really great second acts.

ESPN.com had a great article on the rivalry over the years and now even more prescient with Phil as President of the Knicks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=riley-jackson/page9

Has there been other personal sports rivalry that have spanned some many years and also different positions--players, coach, and executive?

Although he coached the team that killed my Knicks in the 90s, save for that one series with the botched call, I've always like Phil zen master approach. I'm skeptical about his effectiveness in NY because Dolan is toxic.

entremet

Riley has assembled most of his teams, Phil had had them handed to him. It's no contest.

You mean as coaches? I'm not talking about RIley's Miami coaching stint, where he had more control over personnel. Phil's influence on rosters have been minimal by design. He was never a GM.

You mean as coaches? I'm not talking about RIley's Miami coaching stint, where he had more control over personnel. Phil's influence on rosters have been minimal by design. He was never a GM.
But if you're going to compare where they are now, I'm assuming that Jackson now has a say in the roster? He's never stuck me as a personnel type. I guess we'll have to wait and see how his stint in NY turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom