• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: 'Gaming Without Boundaries: Our Vision for the Future of Xbox'

That didn't happen.
Oh, but it did.

Did you ignore the news that Sony wasn't going to have Neo in the conference a week ago?

Where did you hear this?

Neo and Scorpio leaks were spot on everything, and they said that sony was going to announce at E3 and that it forced Ms hand to announce it too.

And then, just after the Scorpio stuff leaks sony withdraws their console because they knew they would get 1 upped.

watdaeff4

I think it's ignorance to think Mattrick was this all powerful force at MS that was behind every bad decision made

quote-everyone-dies-without-understanding-anything-thats-the-way-the-world-works-after-all-yusuke-kishi-67-28-63.jpg

agreed, but the top guy is always the fall guy when things go bad

Fat4all

Banned
It's speculation. No one said it was confirmed.

0% chance they always intended to end their conference with that gameplay demo. And 0% is on the high side.

You are contradicting yourself for no real reason, here. There's no way you could know that, unless someone left a paper lying around with the original schedule.

JaggedSac

Okay;

Stop whatever you're thinking UWA is - you have it wrong. Just... trust me, put it out of your head. It's not that.

Think of a UWA as a password protected .zip file.
It has a program in it, but its password protected, so nobody except the maker can alter it in any way.

Except you can't just make that zipfile with a third party program, you have to use a microsoft program to do it. And anyone who isn't Microsoft, when you try and open that zipfile you get a big "DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!" warning.

So one of the problems people have with that, is that if you are not MS you cannot make or distribute programs in a manner that does not make you seem like a sleazy hacking group trying to steal peoples jiggahertz.

But at the end of the day, its a zipfile. It doesn't phone home. It doesn't access your accounts. It doesn't make the programs in it smarter harder faster better.

Just curious if you realize a UWA is an appx that installs a bunch of files to a directory you can browse and still see exe's in. And with a simple altering of permissions, alter those files if one so chooses. And your big warning statement will be incorrect in about a month.

Also, I believe the appx format is open, can't recall though.

Sydle

I think it's ignorance to think Mattrick was this all powerful force at MS that was behind every bad decision made

He was incredibly influential since he was in charge of the whole business. Kinect was his baby, multi-media was very important to him, and he believed they should focus their first-party efforts on building mega franchises.

Looking back you can see how his priorities manifested in less new IP, TV TV TV, and more emphasis on Kinect than it deserved.

Wheatly

Sony got more hype because they showed a ton of games that are not coming out anytime soon. Sometimes I wish Microsoft would tease things that are far away but I kind of like the fact that pretty much everything they showed at this E3 will be out before next E3 whereas most of the games Sony showed will be out after next E3 and some even beyond that and into 2018. They know how to get people hyped but their "big" game for this fall is The Last Guardian while Microsoft has RECORE, Forza Horizons and Dead Rising 4. Shortly after that we will be getting Halo Wars 2, SCALEBOUND etc. Microsoft has done a great job at giving us a steady supply of games, UNCHARTED 4 was the first big game from Sony that I truly loved...almost 3 years into its life cycle.

Since you capitalized Scalebound, it was a game that was announced in their E3 conference years ago. Forza and Halo wars arent games announced years in advance given that there are new iterations every year.

Maximus P

Neo and Scorpio leaks were spot on everything, and they said that sony was going to announce at E3 and that it forced Ms hand to announce it too.

And then, just after the Scorpio stuff leaks sony withdraws their console because they knew they would get 1 upped.

I wasn't aware that the Sony conference schedule was leaked.

I do know that a Sony rep said the neo wouldn't be at e3 a few days ago though which makes your comment about it being pulled in the last hour confusing.

But did they buy the consoles in order to stream Netflix? Maybe I misinterpreted the original post I responded to, but I thought it was implying that Scorpio/Neo would help initiate a 4K TV sales boom.

For a good long while, the Wii was the leading platform for Netflix.

The Neo and One S could be the lowest priced UHD players on the market. 4K TVs are dropping in price all the time, and by this holiday might not be all that much more expensive than the standard.

Content's slow to come, but the Masters was broadcast for the first time in 4K this year, and I imagine the Super Bowl will be as well. Certain markets will be slower than others, but a path towards more rapid adoption isn't too hard to see. Who knows.

Sydle

I wasn't aware that the Sony conference schedule was leaked.

I do know that a Sony rep said the neo wouldn't be at e3 over a week ago though which makes your comment about it being pulled in the last hour confusing.

A week ago? I thought House released a statement Friday (June 10th), just a couple of days before the show (June 13th)?

naitosan

Plus for some reason IMO MS is really bad a demoing their games.

I agree, those demos on MS conference were poor and their camera guy didn't help at all. But I still am excited for most of games like Scalebound. Hope their Gamescom will be better, especially with several unannounced games, Crackdown 3, etc.

BKG

Banned
Since you capitalized Scalebound, it was a game that was announced in their E3 conference years ago. Forza and Halo wars arent games announced years in advance given that there are new iterations every year.

My phone capitalized it for some reason...pretty sure it was announced last year?

Zedox

In reading Phil's speech a day later, I'm not so sure they want this fight with Sony.

I mean, what if Sony reacted this way:

It would make more sense if Sony had their own store than use Steam. If they used Steam, they basically give Valve money, have less users buy their console (the same users that won't buy a XBO) and just use their PC. I personally would love if Sony had their own store on PC where all their games would be cross-buy...the PC would reign supreme. :) lolololol.

LordRaptor

MS pushed device integration because of the chicken-egg issue with WP software developers. Integration was a way of facilitating that. What's more, I don'the think we can underestimate the benefits they saw in providing a unified OS platform across devices.

WP was dead long before Rise Of The Tomb Raider was put out as a UWA.
It was a problem nobody had. There is zero reason PC Gaming should be attached to that albatross.

Games are being released as UWA because that's all the W10 store supports, not because anyone making games desperately wants UWA as a replacement for Win32.

Crayon

It would make more sense if Sony had their own store than use Steam. If they used Steam, they basically give Valve money, have less users buy their console (the same users that won't buy a XBO) and just use their PC. I personally would love if Sony had their own store on PC where all their games would be cross-buy...the PC would reign supreme. :) lolololol.

The problem is:

If you could get sony's stable on a store and run them on a pc, that would encourage investing in a game machine where there are multiple competitive storefronts. When they use their games to push a user towards investing in a playstation, that playstation locked to one store becomes that user's portal to popular 3rd party games and sony gets a cut from every one.

If they were to offer their games on pc, those really stellar games can now pull you in either direction and if you go the pc direction... from there on out your money will be going to not just sony's store but origin, steam, gog etc. You could say the reason for investing in making these huge games in the first place is greatly diminished.

HokieJoe

WP was dead long before Rise Of The Tomb Raider was put out as a UWA.
It was a problem nobody had. There is zero reason PC Gaming should be attached to that albatross.

Games are being released as UWA because that's all the W10 store supports, not because anyone making games desperately wants UWA as a replacement for Win32.

You declaring it dead doesn't mean they were ready to give up on it. They spent $7.6 billion on Nokia, so clearly they valued the mobile market and wanted to monetize it. Integration was one way of accomplishing that. I don't think their focus was on ruining PC gaming. I think they wanted a common space to which they could attract more developer support.

LordRaptor

I don't think their focus was on ruining PC gaming. I think they wanted a common space to which they could attract more developer support.

Hmm.

I suppose it's possible someone high enough up that they could overrule subordinates with common sense believed porting some X1 titles to UWA was suddenly going to give the W10 store a shot in the arm, and were so naive as to believe that anyone currently running their own distribution channels would happily give that all up to make sure MS get their cut from their work.

Alternatively they just didn't want to relinquish control or revenue and used the W10 store because it was there, not because UWA is a suitable format for performance desktop software distribution, and not having used it much or being a PC gamer themselves it didn't even occur to them just how unfit for that purpose it is, until the complaints started rolling in, but are now entrenched with that decision.

Either way if the aim was to attract UWA developers from 'core' game developers it has not only failed spectacularly, it has actively damaged relationships with existing business partners.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Except they don't need to counter this? Who's to say this new Project Scorpio will be a succes? There is no incentive to buy a new Xbox console(which will probably be $499) when you can play all the games on a PC. If you're going to buy a console it should be the PS4. the best combination to have is a PC(for MS games) and a PS4 console(because of Sony's exclusive games) and it will stay that way for the rest of this generation.

This thought process is flawed though. A very small percentage of people have a gaming PC setup in their living rooms. I have a gaming PC in my office which is not in my living room. The fact that these games are available for PC is a cool added feature, but really makes no difference to me honestly. I am still going to buy an xbox and hook it up in my living room. I believe this is what the majority of consumers will do as well.

Top Bottom