• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on VR "Right now feels like Demos and Experiments"

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I've been active in the PSVR thread and for me there is not a lot of depth in the games and a lot of stuff I have tried feels like demos or.very sort.experiences.

Granted I am not one of those that bou g ht every.title. For me and many it.feels a little shallow. The potential is there but still waiting for a game that appeals to me that has some depth and length. Batman is a he'll of experience that lasts about an hour or 2. Would not call that depth.

So you wouldn't call Journey a game? Does a game have to last 8 hours or more to be considered a "game"? Are we going to do this all over again? I thought we figured this out when indies started to become popular about 5 years ago.

YuShtink

That's what I constantly find myself saying when I play games in VR.

I've never said that playing anything on a current gen console. Except maybe Bloodborne because it was such a well crafted game. And even then it still wasn't a "WOW" type of thing just "damn this is a good game."

bj00rn_

Banned
Phil is right.

I mean, I very much do believe in VR though. I've been a enthusiast supporter for VR, and after getting a DK1, a DK2 and a Vive, I am 100% sure it's going to be a huge thing, eventually. But the thing is, I share Phil's concerns; Because with a few exceptions it really is about "demos and experiments" right now. That's not entirely a negative though, because that's exactly what it takes for VR to find its place, and I've frankly had priceless fun with my VR devices over the last three years. But it's early days, and there are key elements about VR in need dire for improvements to arrive for a few years yet, both hardware-wise and software-wise. ..And that's also the reason for why I decided to sell my Vive recently. Because except racing games, flight simulators and Elite Dangerous (and eye-opening experiences like Budget Cuts etc) there isn't much incentive nor image quality enough to drive me to use it on a daily basis.

I'll be back next generation though.

TyrantII

Well yeah, of course.

We didn't go from Pong to Battlefield 1 / Uncharted 4 / Gears in months, let alone a generation.

The question is how will these companies contribute to the medium and set the stadge at this point. It's a wide open sea.

Hawk269

So you wouldn't call Journey a game? Does a game have to last 8 hours or more to be considered a "game"? Are we going to do this all over again? I thought we figured this out when indies started to become popular about 5 years ago.
umnm why would I buy a title i.have zero.interest in? as I said and I will repeat for ME there is not a lot of depth in games at this time for ME. I could care less for journey..not my cup of tea.

Orca

In regards to the bolded comment, have you tried a VR headset yet?

3d and VR are two completely different animal. Comparing the two doesn't even make sense. The PSVR doesn't feel like a promise to me. It's feels like an amazing first crack at VR and they got a lot of things right. All they need is better tracking for the headset and move controllers and a higher resolution and the sky is the limit with the portential.

I have Vive and PSVR - but like I said they don't change gameplay in a fundamental way, they change immersion. You're IN the car instead of just being able to move the head of someone that's in the car....but that doesn't make a fundamental change in gameplay. There's really no game, at least none that I've tried, that you HAVE to have VR to even conceive of playing. It's a better experience - at least in some cases - but not a 'there's no other way to do this' change.

"Wow" is a word I've used often in recent weeks, that or variants - always involuntarily and always surprising myself. And yes, while playing and experiencing these "tech demos and experiments".

I expected PSVR to be a fun distraction and something I could pull out if I just didn't fancy whatever game I was currently playing for whatever reason. You know, real, proper on-the-big-telly AAA gamey games. I didn't think I'd already have a library of 14 PSVR games along with numerous demos/apps/experiences as well, and I never considered the situation where after playing Dragon Quest Builders demo and loving it, buying day one and getting stuck in, that I'd have it sat at the bottom of a pile of recent purchases being the one I'd least likely want to pull out and play.

But your response - "wow" - is absolutely a valid and appropriate response to YuShtink's comments concerning any Xbox games played in a looooong time as I feel exactly the same way about any playstation games I've played in a looooong time. Way more impressive, way more compelling.

VR does what all these incremental hardware upgrades don't, and the flavour I've experienced in PSVR, the one with the lower price barrier, is an absolutely legitimate game changer even in this infancy period of so-called "tech demos and experiments" - so much so that everything else seems so very one-dimensional in comparison.

eddy-wally-wow-o.gif

I feel the same. Was quite burned out on gaming and had to drag myself upstairs to play. Since I own the PSVR I can't wait to play. It's just damn awesome and I've haven't been so excited in years.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Elite Dangerous is an outstanding experience with VR on PC. And it's also a Xbox One Console exclusive.

Those comments in that context makes Spencer look disingenuous to say the least.

He said most not all.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
that's true. metacritic gives anything below a 75 "mixed" but for movies it isn't until it's less than 65, I think

They are 2 dramatically different markets, I hate this comparison. The videogame review scale has been set by years of reviews. Its broken don't get me wrong, but basically anything below 8 is starting to get into questionable territory, below 7 and your game most likely sucks and below 6 the game is broken. Just look at the outrage anytime a major game gets something less than a 9. (8.8 debacle)

Belfast

I've been active in the PSVR thread and for me there is not a lot of depth in the games and a lot of stuff I have tried feels like demos or.very sort.experiences.

Granted I am not one of those that bou g ht every.title. For me and many it.feels a little shallow. The potential is there but still waiting for a game that appeals to me that has some depth and length. Batman is a he'll of experience that lasts about an hour or 2. Would not call that depth.

You're right. I wouldn't call that depth, either. That's length you're talking about when you describe it as "an hour or two."

wondering if he'll change his tune when scorpio is announced to have vr support

i'm betting he will.

he told The Verge in an interview last week. "Because as we saw 4K gaming and really high-end VR taking off in the PC space, we wanted to be able to bring that to console. Project Scorpio is actually an Xbox One that can natively run games in 4K and is built with the hardware capabilities to support the high-end VR that you see happening in the PC space today... when it ships it will be the most powerful console ever built."

tumblr_inline_n41jt1MZGX1qcfut1.gif

jax

Banned
Dumb. AR will be the hardware. VR the software. This is like saying "Yeah, games aren't really there yet, that's why we are focusing on consoles". VR is just early AR. They need to invest in the now before even trying to do the future. There's a reason Glass failed. For AR to be a success VR needs to get off the ground and gain serious momentum.

Microsoft seems to know this though. Those VR headsets they announced look really great.

Peltz

Everyone thinking rationally: "He's right"

People justifying their VR purchase: "He's mad"

You could justify your VR purchase with experiments and demos. I knew what I was buying and have no regrets.

I agree with him. We absolutely need better games for VR.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I have Vive and PSVR - but like I said they don't change gameplay in a fundamental way, they change immersion. You're IN the car instead of just being able to move the head of someone that's in the car....but that doesn't make a fundamental change in gameplay. There's really no game, at least none that I've tried, that you HAVE to have VR to even conceive of playing. It's a better experience - at least in some cases - but not a 'there's no other way to do this' change.

I seriously don't think you have a VR headset if you think the bolded is true. The one thing VR does best is change gameplay.

gmoran

I feel the same. Was quite burned out on gaming and had to drag myself upstairs to play. Since I own the PSVR I can't wait to play. It's just damn awesome and I've haven't been so excited in years.

Every single day I have to play something: Rush of Blood stage, or; Mortal Blitz demo, or; Thumper demo, or; Micky's Shooting Range demo. Even if its just 15 minutes. Gotta

Top Bottom