• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Parity is a hell of a Clause

Bastardo

To me, this is just business. MS is making their console more desirable and enticing more people to buy their product over the competition. Yeah it sucks for other people, but he's doing his job.

Yes, it's business. But it's shitty for many consumers and shitty for many developers; hence it results in so many people being upset about it.

To me, this is just business. MS is making their console more desirable and enticing more people to buy their product over the competition. Yeah it sucks for other people, but he's doing his job.
This would be the case if indies were fighting to get on the platform with extra content and whatnot, but song as they're not... seems like this clause has really backfired (whether or not it's gotten better in recent months, the perception hasn't changed).

Biker19

Banned

How, exactly? The Xbox One is becoming more like PS3 in which they've received less indie titles in comparison to the competition.

Bluenoser

It's quite clear why it exists- to force indies to release on Xbox first. However it would seem that the majority of indie devs are happy creating content on platforms who don't give them ultimatums...can't blame them there. Why should they have to "talk" to MS if they can't release at the same time? It should be open and "transparent" which it isn't, despite what Phil says. His inability to scrap this stupid policy reeks of Mattrick.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's quite clear why it exists- to force indies to release on Xbox first. However it would seem that the majority of indie devs are happy creating content on platforms who don't give them ultimatums...can't blame them there. Why should they have to "talk" to MS if they can't release at the same time? It should be open and "transparent" which it isn't, despite what Phil says. His inability to scrap this stupid policy reeks of Mattrick.

It was NEVER Mattrick, it was Microsoft. It's the oldest trick in the book to have a fall guy when a company makes a mistake.

Most devs today that still believe the parity clause is hardcore, actually don't know and simply regurgitate what they hear and read online and not actually engaging on their own to get details from the horse's mouth. We've seen this unfold on Twitter as we've seen ID call out several devs who never approached them and said they'd love to have them.

Most of you will probably take that as making one-off exceptions and I can see that. But today is different than even a few months ago.

Read the OP and stop reading it through your hyperbole between the lines goggles and take what Phil said at face value.

Again, so everyone gets it, I have no exemptions. I was never approached and I never asked for one. I like both indie programs from Sony and MS. Sony's is still better and I don't think MS needs to make theirs "better" as it is really good at the moment - but they can right just this one ship and with a little bit of planning do enough to differentiate themselves from the competition. Again, will be hard to beat Sony from my personal experience but they don't have to - they just have to do right and differentiate themselves a bit and they will be fine.

I hope that the same people who held your words in such esteem when you were rightly hammering Id@xbox will hold your words in the same esteem now you're defending them.

I really appreciate you weighing in on this. Yeah, I'm notionally biased because I'm an MS employee - but actually that's not why I'm so interested in what you wrote - I'm interested in information being accurate and current which is why the bit I've quoted stood out especially.

I still don't get why there is any clause, or why they don't go full guns blazing on a positive PR dev-supporting approach as you suggest... but I am mightily relieved that the regressive policy as previously understood does genuinely appear to be effectively dead.

Bluenoser

It was NEVER Mattrick, it was Microsoft. It's the oldest trick in the book to have a fall guy when a company makes a mistake.

LOL wut? So you are saying there's a robot running MS that is making these stupid decisions? PEOPLE make decisions, not a company name. Mattrick is one of many who made poor decisions that affected the Xbox business- he's not a fall guy- he was paid a butt load of cash to make important decisions, and he made the wrong ones.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
LOL wut? So you are saying there's a robot running MS that is making these stupid decisions? PEOPLE make decisions, not a company name. Mattrick is one of many who made poor decisions that affected the Xbox business- he's not a fall guy- he was paid a butt load of cash to make important decisions, and he made the wrong ones.

A robot? What a silly comment to make. It's the company that make the decision in the end and it's the company that are responsible for their mistakes, not just one person. It's convenient to shift the blame to one person and then get rid of them in the hope it makes them look 'clean' again.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Microsoft have always had anti-consumer, antitrust practices as a whole long before Mattrick, and they still have these policies in place. Not just in the gaming division.

They only reverse them when it effects the bottom line (when people catch on), or in lawsuits. Hopefully their new CEO is as genuine as he comes off as so far, because this company has a lot of cleaning up to do with those destructive practices.

Mattrick was a guy that fit their policies perfectly, they just didn't expect the backlash to be as strong as it was. We gamers are not as naive as they thought, and they realized "fanboys" are not their adoption populace. They replaced him with a more likable "gamer like" guy to turn their image around when Mattrick left for Zynga.

MysteryM

A robot? What a silly comment to make. It's the company that make the decision in the end and it's the company that are responsible for their mistakes.

The company will have strict hierarchies with people on set levels making strategic business decisions, Mattrick was one of these levels.

Besides, Mattrick left to go to zynga why do you call him a fall guy?

Edit:

It's convenient to shift the blame to one person and then get rid of them in the hope it makes them look 'clean' again.

Are you implying that Microsoft blamed Mattrick? Must have missed that one...

Biker19

Banned
Microsoft have always had anti-consumer, antitrust practices long before Mattrick, and they still have these policies in place. Not just in the gaming division.

They only reverse them when it effects the bottom line (when people catch on), or in lawsuits. Hopefully their new CEO is as genuine as he comes off as so far, because this company has a lot of cleaning up to do with those destructive practices.

This. Unless what they do starts affecting their profits, Microsoft just doesn't give a shit, nor do they care if what they do affects their customers in a bad way.

That should be very telling towards everybody.

Bluenoser

A robot? What a silly comment to make. It's the company that make the decision in the end and it's the company that are responsible for their mistakes, not just one person. It's convenient to shift the blame to one person and then get rid of them in the hope it makes them look 'clean' again.

You are speaking as if the "company" itself makes decisions. The company is nothing more than a name. People are hired to work for a company, and those people have different levels of power and responsibility. Mattrick was the fucking President of the Xbox division. All decisions that were made fall back on him. Either you need to reword your posts, or your have no clue.

Absinthe, if I understand your posts correctly, you're telling us you never got an exemption to the clause, and it's really easy to get an exemption to the clause. So I guess my question is, how do you know that it's so easy if you haven't had to do it yourself? Or are you speaking more to the general vibe of the program, that they're getting better about reaching out to devs?

GnawtyDog

Banned
I still don't get why there is any clause, or why they don't go full guns blazing on a positive PR dev-supporting approach as you suggest... but I am mightily relieved that the regressive policy as previously understood does genuinely appear to be effectively dead.

The clause is still understood the only way it can be understood and will continue to be understood.

Increasing exemptions to the clause by say 30%-50% doesn't change its core/heart/what's written on a sheet of paper that's legally binding - the same thing that keeps the devs mouth shut into coming clean and spouting the details - simple as. The lack of transparency is palpable.

MS is getting differentiation alright...and Sony loves it.

Paz

It's really weird that the discussion on the parity clause in late July 2015 has now moved on to the difficulty or ease by which an exception can be granted.

Apathy

Of course it got "lost in the shuffle." Apparently there's a "shuffle folder" for whenever a dev complains loudly on neoGAF. Then suddenly they explain sarcastically to their secretary "woe is me, I wish we could figure out what is wrong with our relationship with X dev" *WINK*, to which the secretary coyly wheels her chair around and goes to the bottom draw of her file cabinet and takes out a folder labeled "shuffle."

Then Chris Charla calls the dev and it's all "well hello there you need to forgive us we're a heee----uggge company and sometimes we can lose a application in our process. I hope you understand. I understand you have concerns? Whatever they are, forget 'em. For the trouble of losing your folder, we're making a special exemption just for you!".

This part is what kinda should worry indie developers that end up going to Microsoft after they get contacted and they want to play nice. With a large multinational company just up and misplacing so many applications, the incompetence should be a huge red flag.

LewieP

It's really weird that the discussion on the parity clause in late July 2015 has now moved on to the difficulty or ease by which an exception can be granted.
I remember asking Charla about which instances they would use the parity policy to block a release back in I think the end of 2013, and didn't get a straight answer. Very little progress has actually been made on this particular subject.

The clause is still understood the only way it can be understood and will continue to be understood.

Increasing exceptions to the clause by say 30%-50% doesn't change its core/heart/what's written on a sheet of paper that's legally binding - the same thing that keeps the devs mouth shut into coming clean and spouting the details - simple as. The lack of transparency is palpable.

MS is getting differentiation alright...and Sony loves it.

Did you actually read the post I quoted? It doesn't appear so.

Chobel

While MS gives exceptions for devs, they still don't want to get rid of the parity clause. My guess is: they either want to reinforce it at some point, or they want to create doubt and fear in the minds of devs,"but what if they don't grant me an exception?" or something like that.

There's an other possibility, someone(s) high up in MS is imposing this policy, and Spencer and Charla are trying to sidestep them by giving exceptions to indies. This one sounds ridiculous to me though.

Kayant

There's an other possibility, someone(s) high up in MS is imposing this policy, and Spencer and Charla are trying to sidestep them by giving exceptions to indies. This one sounds ridiculous to me though.

Yh not especially with his first class comments.

Abdiel

When I get time today and I'm back at my desk I'll post some thoughts again. I am not about to go nuclear on some of you on my phone.

I need to call you out, Amirox. You'd better have a shitload of links from all these devs on neogaf changing their tune, links and verification that MS does secretly call up every loud dev and interviews with Chris and Phil to back up your claims.

A lot of your rhetoric is bullshit "pile on" to the nth degree. I hate the fucking clause and I even told you a while ago, personally, that I had enough reason from devs to sit back and watch this play out over time. And no - Chris or Phil never contacted me or MANY fucking devs that were loud. I sat back because I'm the guy that needs to be 100% sure before I do or say something publicly. I give people the time of day because that's who I am. When I needed to sit back and watch - I did. I didn't continue my tirade.

I guess not doing anything but yelling at an old cloud is a lot fucking easier than reaching out to people and asking questions eh?

Edit: You know? Not going to go nuclear at anyone. Instead I'll just say a few things.

Most devs today that still believe the parity clause is hardcore, actually don't know and simply regurgitate what they hear and read online and not actually engaging on their own to get details from the horse's mouth. We've seen this unfold on Twitter as we've seen ID call out several devs who never approached them and said they'd love to have them.

Most of you will probably take that as making one-off exceptions and I can see that. But today is different than even a few months ago.

I'm not bagging on devs, either. We are a busy bunch and the small time (like me) sometimes don't bother even approaching because hey - we're fucking nothing.
It would seem a fool's errand to try and attack that tank with a toothpick.

For transparency I did speak with Phil and Chris EXTREMELY briefly recently. THEY DID NOT APPROACH ME AND WE DID NOT DISCUSS ANY EXCEPTIONS NOR DO I HAVE ONE. I won't go into detail but they get nobody likes the clause (plus there's not many details).

Read the OP and stop reading it through your hyperbole between the lines goggles and take what Phil said at face value. Shit is different and yes - shit falls through the cracks. You can't very well bag on ID for that statement when developers aren't even trying to contact them about it - letting those details "fall through the cracks" and continue the same song and dance because they did not do their due diligence and follow up.

But that is yet ANOTHER fucking problem Phil needs to solve. Get that fucking messaging out to developers. If they have no clue the climate is changing - they won't bother to research. Its not about how to deliver that message - its about delivering it in the first fucking place. It should be dead as a doornail and developers still don't know. Consumers still don't know. That's a fucking problem they need to solve. They need to take that on their shoulders and get the word out that it's a much friendlier environment.

And by friendlier I feel they need to step up and lead with the carrot, not the stick. There's a lot they can do go incentivise developers to make exclusive content that might not have anything to do with a moneyhat. It can simply be REALLY going to bat for devs with PR and game announcements, making sure every last Xbox owner knows who the fuck is making Lotion Boy 8: The Lotioning. Or when Super Buttmuncher Prequel is about to drop. The most important thing for any small dev is getting out there and getting known which is very hard. That does a LOT more for devs than free devkits.

Bottom line is they get you, they get devs, they are making changes and they are piss poor at making sure devs know how they are TODAY - because devs still think it's fucking yesterday.

Again, so everyone gets it, I have no exemptions. I was never approached and I never asked for one. I like both indie programs from Sony and MS. Sony's is still better and I don't think MS needs to make theirs "better" as it is really good at the moment - but they can right just this one ship and with a little bit of planning do enough to differentiate themselves from the competition. Again, will be hard to beat Sony from my personal experience but they don't have to - they just have to do right and differentiate themselves a bit and they will be fine.

Peace!

I think the biggest take away from your post here, is that the problem isn't just the nature of the clause itself, it is that MS has refused to take the necessary steps to make it clear to everyone what the status of this all is.

If the clause isn't a driving force in negotiations with indie devs anymore, then they need to make it clear, and actually transparent. Making wishy-washy statements and leaving devs to make statements of their own limited experiences on both sides of a still confused fence, helps no one.

I personally don't think it is okay to make any kind of scorn against you or your comments, as you said, you are being outspoken because if something proves you wrong, you try to publicly take ownership of that, and I respect that. At the same time, when other devs are saying that they are still frustrated by the same situations, it means that things need to get better.

I want everyone to be able to have access to these games, for devs to feel like they can find their own time and situations and not require special permission to be allowed to do something. That's my hope.

It's just so frustrating to feel like there's no consistency, no transparency. I don't think it is wrong to want those things.

I hope that the same people who held your words in such esteem when you were rightly hammering Id@xbox will hold your words in the same esteem now you're defending them.

I really appreciate you weighing in on this. Yeah, I'm notionally biased because I'm an MS employee - but actually that's not why I'm so interested in what you wrote - I'm interested in information being accurate and current which is why the bit I've quoted stood out especially.

By esteem I think you mean loudmouthed :p

As to your very last statement - as excited as I am to see the policy hanging by a thread, it needs to come from the horse's mouth.

I think the biggest take away from your post here, is that the problem isn't just the nature of the clause itself, it is that MS has refused to take the necessary steps to make it clear to everyone what the status of this all is.

If the clause isn't a driving force in negotiations with indie devs anymore, then they need to make it clear, and actually transparent. Making wishy-washy statements and leaving devs to make statements of their own limited experiences on both sides of a still confused fence, helps no one.

I personally don't think it is okay to make any kind of scorn against you or your comments, as you said, you are being outspoken because if something proves you wrong, you try to publicly take ownership of that, and I respect that. At the same time, when other devs are saying that they are still frustrated by the same situations, it means that things need to get better.

I want everyone to be able to have access to these games, for devs to feel like they can find their own time and situations and not require special permission to be allowed to do something. That's my hope.

It's just so frustrating to feel like there's no consistency, no transparency. I don't think it is wrong to want those things.
I'm still keeping my ear to the ground to see how far devs have come in trying to reach out even in the last few months alone. As I stated earlier - many are just flat out too busy to continually seek affirmation every time Phil talks to the media. That's a messaging problem they have to shoulder, themselves.

The ambiguity and inconsistency from Microsoft is not an accident. It's deliberate.
I'm not so sure - The OPs quote made it pretty clear. What I do think, however, is that there is a reluctancy to admit failure. Its a difficult thing to do, for sure. Even I admit fault for sitting on my ass and regurgitating so when I caught some wind I just took it upon myself to do some digging. I piled on Phil and Chris plenty of times and when I saw enough was there to recognize an effort I did. I am not here to hurt anyone with words but I do give lumps when i think they are deserved and applaud the right moves being made, even if the shift is slow.

And to anyone really wanting more proof, answers and transparency - even calling on the media to "do their job" - how about directing some of these pages of energy AT the media to get them asking questions instead of yelling at absolutely nothing here but opinion validation page after page? THEN we can get down to some real discussion when the media reports on their findings.

Again- it shouldn't be up to the media but I can't rightfully hate on something in the midst of changing for the better. ID will get credit from me for stepping it up.

Hate me all you want, peeps. I'm just shooting from the hip.

Abdiel

By esteem I think you mean loudmouthed :p

As to your very last statement - as excited as I am to see the policy hanging by a thread, it needs to come from the horse's mouth.

I'm still keeping my ear to the ground to see how far devs have come in trying to reach out even in the last few months alone. As I stated earlier - many are just flat out too busy to continually seek affirmation every time Phil talks to the media. That's a messaging problem they have to shoulder, themselves.

I'm not so sure - The OPs quote made it pretty clear. What I do think, however, is that there is a reluctancy to admit failure. Its a difficult thing to do, for sure. Even I admit fault for sitting on my ass and regurgitating so when I caught some wind I just took it upon myself to do some digging. I piled on Phil and Chris plenty of times and when I saw enough was there to recognize an effort I did. I am not here to hurt anyone with words but I do give lumps when i think they are deserved and applaud the right moves being made, even if the shift is slow.

And to anyone really wanting more proof, answers and transparency - even calling on the media to "do their job" - how about directing some of these pages of energy AT the media to get them asking questions instead of yelling at absolutely nothing here but opinion validation page after page? THEN we can get down to some real discussion when the media reports on their findings.

Again- it shouldn't be up to the media but I can't rightfully hate on something in the midst of changing for the better. ID will get credit from me for stepping it up.

Hate me all you want, peeps. I'm just shooting from the hip.

I'll reply to your last statement before anything else: I don't hate you in the slightest. In fact I'm glad you're being as outspoken as you are. People were acting like I was trying to push some specific narrative, as though my participation was in opposition to a particular platform, which is simply not true.

You finding that you have greater freedom as a dev is awesome to me. That's what I want in the first place. To have you, and other indie devs not feel like there's shackles or barriers just waiting to be thrown at you. I hope that that continues to be the case for more and more devs. I want you to be the one dictating when and where your games are released. Like you said before. Motivating with a carrot rather than a stick.

My concerns over transparency and lack of straightforward messaging ties right back to your statement though, you took the time to really dig and research. Devs are busy folks, there's a lot on your plates, so if a platform wants to get a message out and advertise themselves as a great place to bring games, they need to do their best to make that messaging clear, to make sure there's no reason to hesitate about even 'talking to them'. Otherwise, it goes in circles, and as you said, a 'pile on' effect can happen. I'd love for this to be the last thread with any discussion of the parity clause.

It does sound ridiculous. It also sounds like standard corporate practice. And I talk from experience.

panda-zebra

I honestly don't see what is so bad with Spencer's response. I'm much more satisfied with having my patience rewarded with something unique than nothing at all.

Interesting... but did you consider that since the console launched, "nothing at all" is likely what you've received most of thanks to this very policy? Plenty of "nothing at all" with the occasional "something unique".

At this point it seems the best route for any indie dev is basically to loudly go on neoGAF and complain about the red tape and nonsense and hoops and how many ways XBL on XBO is inconvenient compared to PSN, and then magically Phil Spencer will swoop to your twitter and caress you in his golden arms and tell you everything is going to be OK - and of course just enough swag so that you can come back on neoGAF and say it's not really that bad anymore, so people need to adjust their expectations cause it was once worse. Except of course they can't discuss specifically why, because NDA.

You found the golden ticket.

What I do think, however, is that there is a reluctancy to admit failure. Its a difficult thing to do, for sure.

Meh, what's one more 180 given the rest? It's not "hanging by a thread" as you put it just to save face, that's naive isn't it? If it's still there, it's there for a strategic reason, not because Big Phil can't remember where he put the scissors.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Meh, what's one more 180 given the rest? It's not "hanging by a thread" as you put it just to save face, that's naive isn't it? If it's still there, it's there for a strategic reason, not because Big Phil can't remember where he put the scissors.

Wait until the XBox ecosystem gets fully integrated with Windows 10.

Maybe there is a reason they are giving the OS away for free. Possible licensing for games in that environment in the future?

*takes off tin foil hat* ;)

SerTapTap

It's not dead until they officially confirm it and stop with the "release at the same time or talk with us" shit. You think a 1 person garage studio wants to "talk with" literally anyone they aren't completely required to in one of the biggest companies in the world? Every barrier is potentially a deal breaker with indies. I bet even the shadow of this policy discourages a fair number of developers from even bothering to try and talk to MS, and that's probably where the most harm is done.

It's funny because Phil is basically saying it doesn't exist (while confirming it does) and defenders are still pretty much accepting that it does exist (because it does). Despite all their "work" it's clear it's still in effect, and as long as it is, it's a problem. Both because of what I said above, and because they can potentially fuck over anyone they want at any time. "talk with us" means every situation is unique, and if they decide that they want to twist your arm they totally can because the policy is still totally there.

They've got a gun and they're not putting it away. They're just saying they're not using it right now.

Is it not obvious (see prior 2 paragraphs) how having the policy but pretending not to have the policy serves both goals of looking friendly while still having the big scary veto vote at the same time?

Crayon

Wait until the XBox ecosystem gets fully integrated with Windows 10.

Maybe there is a reason they are giving the OS away for free. Possible licensing for games in that environment in the future?

*takes off tin foil hat* ;)

Every speculation is not a conspiracy theory. You can recycle that hat.

The changes to windows, specifically the free version license with mandatory updates and the closed windows store point to a strategy that is anticipating the contraction of the desktop/laptop market. Windows and microsoft/partner devices can be a little more specialized and they can fit in better with apple and google who have been doing quite well.

An xbox product that ran a slightly more closed version of the free windows 10 is not out of the question. If that point comes, this parity clause will be in full effect as they can wield the combined usership of xbox devices and the windows app store to manipulate support.

Interesting theory but that's a fairly complex plan to pull off even if we did know what they want to do. Time will tell.

If there's one thing that Microsoft's done a brilliant job of over the past couple of years, it's the PR job on Phil Spencer. They've really made the guy look like a saviour in some posters' eyes.

Jomjom

Banned
Absinthe, if I understand your posts correctly, you're telling us you never got an exemption to the clause, and it's really easy to get an exemption to the clause. So I guess my question is, how do you know that it's so easy if you haven't had to do it yourself? Or are you speaking more to the general vibe of the program, that they're getting better about reaching out to devs?

I was wondering this same thing after reading Absinthe's post.

Went to your website and saw that your game is for IOS and Android. Are you planning to approach Sony and MS soon? Perhaps you could offer more insight into both soon if you haven't approached them already.

The parity clause is great for them if they were in the dominant position, it's something that would keep their hold on the market strong. As developers would always want to bring a game to their platform because that's where the money is, so that means either releasing your game first there or making a better version.

But they're not in the dominant position, which as people have said here has a negative effect, people release stuff on the PS4 first and then just don't bother with the Xbox One.

It seems like this is one of those things that they're sticking with now because they stuck behind it in the past. If they give up on it, then it means people would say "So you were lying/talking rubbish before about the parity clause then?".

SerTapTap

The parity clause is great for them if they were in the dominant position, it's something that would keep their hold on the market strong. As developers would always want to bring a game to their platform because that's where the money is, so that means either releasing your game first there or making a better version.

But they're not in the dominant position, which as people have said here has a negative effect, people release stuff on the PS4 first and then just don't bother with the Xbox One.

It seems like this is one of those things that they're sticking with now because they stuck behind it in the past. If they give up on it, then it means people would say "So you were lying/talking rubbish before about the parity clause then?".

The only reason it makes sense to not drop it while allowing loopholes is if they plan to use it again later from a stronger position, and or/selectively enforce (this is pretty clearly the intent of "talk to us"). There would be way more backlash if they suddenly added the policy after formally dropping it as opposed to developers suddenly having to "talk to us" more.

Not really sure when they'd actually be able to flex muscle any time soon though. Not this gen unless they plan to enforce it for Win 10 integration which could potentially be annoying...but that'd be a REALLY risky move since the win 8 app store is a wasteland to this day and anything that kills the win 10 app store could be really damn costly for MS. And as a Surface owner I really hope they don't kill yet another attempt at the app store.

Top Bottom