• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer responds to Jim Ryan on crossplay "We will keep Minecraft players safe."

martino

no cross play but cross save ? plz switch + power platform could be a dream for thoses buying on two systems.

Fisty

I gotta ask, what server populations is Microsoft lacking? Rocket League? Minecraft?

Or are you just saying overall Playstation 4 has more consoles out there, so a bigger population overall?

Well Rocket League for sure, and I would imagine PS4 Minecraft population is higher if not close to Xbox. And yeah, in general PS4 populations are going to be much higher on average than Xbox.

Remember, Sony has shown no issues opening up cross-play with PC. They've been doing it since PS3 (or even PS2)

Microsoft never did when this came up multiple times in the past, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say the actual, tangible blowback from this is far smaller than you imagine.

The only real chance of them caving is Yoshida stepping in and taking a developer-friendly stance on his own accord. The business reality almost certainly won't force them to change.

I'm going to massively disagree with you. Minecraft has over 121 million players, it's a massive community that a lot of people on NeoGAF are completely oblivious to. New Minecraft patches are like The International to my younger cousin and his friends. Having a massive update like this where one platform is cut off is going to be a constant talking point for them. Sure, it might not be brought up on Neogaf, but Neogaf is microscopic compared to the Minecraft communities out there where this is a much bigger deal.

Can we get a topic just for this? In the same way we had region free Nintendo and always online xbox?

I mean, if no one else does it and you guys really want I can do this. I think I can clear the time to dedicate to this. With the exception of going to the lake with the fam for a couple hours tomorrow. It's been planned for a while.

Might be best to wait till tomorrow though when it will be more visible with more users on.

pTQUOfSmjo2hG.gif

I made the thread. Thread is go.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=240900960#post240900960

The Rocket League thing is probably just bad timing, or they probably don't want to have to make exceptions so it's just a flat rule. People also seem to forget that "the place my friends play" and "online player count" are big selling points for games and consoles, and Sony has nothing to gain by handing that advantage to their direct competitor.
Why should consumers care what Sony has to gain?

Top Bottom