• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer responds to Sony's 'dig' at Gamescom

There were months of leaks and the whole Adam Orth scandal where they could see reactions and change things before anything was even announced. They basically put their fingers in their ears before preorders came in. I'm glad they changed stuff and I don't hold stuff like the 180s against them but don't try to pretend you were listening or that you didn't write off our complaints as just angry nerds on the internet.

This .

"How fast we react to low preorders is a strength."

hahaha ... so so true =]

Even though I cringed at the Sony dig, its good to make sure that Microsoft don't forget how inane they were, especially leading up half a year into E3 with all the consumer warnings and still pulling the crap they did with DRM. Especially Mattrick's dumb ass responses.

I'll forgive them eventually if they are consistent in listening to feedback.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Glad to see their PR is turning a bit on this. Since Mattrick left it seems they are trying to be more open and listen a bit more. Sure the outrage on the previous policies forced their hand, but it does seem like something has clicked over there and is slowly taking shape.

There really isn't much he can say without people jumping at his throat. He said the right/obvious thing and people are doing it anyways so...

Nobody gets a second chance in this industry I guess.

Because Microsoft is known for being a ever changing costumer friendly company in general.

Bundy

Banned
"Feedback by gamers"
hahaha!
Yeah, sure!
The feedback/opinions where clear before and after the XBone reveal.
Microsoft changed their policies after the first pre-order numbers (PS4 vs XBone) and the media backlash.
Not because of the gamer rage!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
My God, I cringed.

DeviantBoi

So when Phil Spencer comes to GAF or Reddit to read gamers' comments on the XBone, how can he tell which are the positive comments and which are the fake comments by MS PR shills?

longdi

Banned
The sad thing is MS has been milking their fans with expensive add-ons and subscriptions for the whole current gen....blah blah blah yo.

ashdcuk

Neo Member
A "two-way conversation" is what everyone else refers to as "a conversation". Is he stressing the "two-way" part because it's only just occurred to them?

"Feedback by gamers"
hahaha!
Yeah, sure!
Microsoft changed their policies after the first pre-order numbers (PS4 vs XBone) and the media backlash.

Pre-order numbers are the best and most clear source of determining feedback.

Don't know why people separate that from raving comments on the internet.

They're one and the same.

Both sides should be ashamed, one side tried to fuck over consumers and because of backlash they had to change their tune, the other side weaseled in online paywalls.

Remember how Sony was giving jabs at xbox live fees and how they wouldn't do that during the entirity of the ps3 gen? That is how little their current arrogance means, if they think they can get away with the pre 180 xbox one scheme at the start of the ps5 gen then you can be sure that they will do it.

Neither of them are on our side, neither of them deserve cheering on.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
When you listen to people, you don't ignore what they say until they slap you in the face, you change accordingly so they don't slap you in the face. Once you've made that mistake and try to rectify it, it's called 'begging'.

There were months of leaks and the whole Adam Orth scandal where they could see reactions and change things before anything was even announced. They basically put their fingers in their ears before preorders came in.

rumors before the official reveal - online check every few minutes, no used games or loaning ever
After the official reveal - online check every 24 hours, limited used games, limited digital license transfers

So it wouldn't surprise me if they did actually "listen", and thought that those terms would be "good enough". Obviously though, it wasn't.

Replicant

"Other people will do and say what they're going to say. Fine. We're running our program. That's a strength of who we are."

Yes, you're doing a pretty good job at sticking your fingers in your ears and went "La la la la, we can't hear you".....until you saw those pre-order numbers.

Kopite

"Feedback by gamers"
hahaha!
Yeah, sure!
This may come as a shock, but pre-order numbers and media backlash are forms of feedback.

whats the difference?

If there was no other viable option (ps4/pc) and people kept complaining about DRM but were still forced to get the console if they wanted to play their favorite games, MS obviously wouldn't budge.

There wouldn't be a two way discussion without competition.

Ding-Ding

Funny how the so called listening only started when the cash tills started to ring, or more to the point, didn't ring for pre-orders.

Also, if they are listening, why do they still not hear from gamers about a kinect free SKU. They certainly outnumber those that want the damn thing.

Only thing MS listen to is cash tills and shareholders. Everything else they just hit the mute button.

Glad to see their PR is turning a bit on this. Since Mattrick left it seems they are trying to be more open and listen a bit more. Sure the outrage on the previous policies forced their hand, but it does seem like something has clicked over there and is slowly taking shape.

was there any other option? Staying the course would have been console suicide, despite what the most brainwashed X-fans want to believe.

Of course they are being 'humble' now. They've been getting dick-punched, repeatedly, from consumers and journos combined- for months.

BigDug13

This may come as a shock, but pre-order numbers and media backlash are forms of feedback.

So when he's talking about having two way conversations, you're saying the conversation is MS talking and consumers replying with money and that's what Phil actually meant?

Microsoft had to be dragged away from their policies kicking and screaming. Its only good PR to act as MS was the good guy fighting for consumer rights.

PJV3

They will listen until they think they can get away wirh it again. Corporate feudalism is the long term goal.

That isn't just MS either.

JABEE

It became a two-way conversation once they realized they were going to get destroyed this holiday season if they didn't go into emergency PR mode.

Months and months of listening to Mattrick and his minions talk about how "360 is the console" for those that don't have a steady connection to the internet.

If that Adam Orth fiasco didn't happen, I'm pretty sure they would have went with complete always-online for the functionality of the machine going into E3.

They can say all they want about a "two-way conversation." It wasn't. The reversal should have happened before their reveal and before their E3 show. It didn't happen, because they still thought people would swallow their shitty bill of goods.

Nafai1123

Banned
A "two-way conversation" is what everyone else refers to as "a conversation". Is he stressing the "two-way" part because it's only just occurred to them?

Customer: "Hey MS, we don't want all that DRM stuff and online requirements."

MS: "....."

Customer: "Hey MS! We don't want that shit!"

MS: "....but cloud?"

Customer: "Fuck this shit, I ain't buying your product."

MS: "Whoa whoa hold on! We'll remove it OK? See we listen to your concerns."

Customer: "...."

Top Bottom