• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: We're upping our investment with first party and committed to innovate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think it was the gamescom one last year.

My point was more that Microsoft doesn't really have loads of great and unique Multiplayer experiences until we can actually get our hands on these games and see if they live up to the promise.
Thanks, I just wanted to see more interesting stuff from SoT. :p

Nothing about that interview comes off to me like they're abandoning single player games. If anything, it just seems like they're considering different business models.

Maybe Game Pass let's them take risks by doing more episodic releases, like Quantum Break season 2 or a Hitman-inspired Perfect Dark reboot.

Also, GaaS is a pretty vague term. If they handle it as well as Halo 5 or Killer Instinct, I'd be down for more.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
We've heard this all before, I will believe it when I see it. And that means actual game releases and not announcements.

Baleoce

Wow, that is a whole lot of words to say effectively nothing, specifically around microtransactions.

Talk is cheap, E3 is the time to put up or shut up.

That's what Phil Spencer does. But yeah, I'm still very much looking forward to seeing Scorpio at E3.

Hexer06

Top notch gameplay? Wow.

Quantum Break had extremely fun gameplay. Especially compared to other story driven games such as Tlou or Uncharted. So yeah, I'd agree with the guy. If quantum break is "hot garbage" then I'll take a steaming pile of games please. :D

He's been busy doing interviews left and right...Smart thing for Microsoft to do, given that he's always come across as relatable and genuinely passionate about gaming. Let's hope that his words will translate into more interesting titles in the near future.

Hasn't he said almost the same thing since he took over? During that time, his most notable moves have been shutting down studios and cancelling games. He would make a fantastic politician.

So basically it's more "service based" games and forget about SP.

What do people with comments like this really expect? That's what brings in the cash these days. SP only experiences are going to be the minority going forward for big budget games. They already kind of are. Indies will always exist at least.

Xando

What do people with comments like this really expect? That's what brings in the cash these days. SP only experiences are going to be the minority going forward for big budget games. They already kind of are. Indies will always exist at least.
And yet the market leader is pumping them out.

Phils comments sound like he just doesn't think he has any teams that could deliver a title like TLOU or Zelda and instead wants to catch some whales.

And the company that made the best/most single player games last (this?) gen bombed horribly.

There's no definitive "proof" Sony's success with the PS4 has anything to do with single player games. Most of those exclusives don't sell well relative to the number of PS4s sold. And PS4's success this gen was cemented at a time when their sp/exclusive output was pretty mediocre.

DNAbro

And the company that made the best/most single player games last (this?) gen bombed horribly.

There's no definitive "proof" Sony's success with the PS4 has anything to do with single player games. Most of those exclusives don't sell well relative to the number of PS4s sold. And PS4's success this gen was cemented at a time when their sp/exclusive output was pretty mediocre.

who?

Fisty

Just seems absurd to pretend like the PS4's success is due to their single player exclusive games. The PS4 become a huge success on the back of The Order, but the Wii U bombed?

It's a factor, sure. Seems way over blown though.

Yep the Order is why Sony is rolling in dough right now...?

Or maybe because they didn't lose momentum and just happened to release the best game of the gen at that point a month later. Good variety of exclusives throughout the year is why they are winning.

WiiU bombing doesn't even belong in this discussion, that company is clueless from top to bottom

Xando

And yet PS4 is market leader.

So what differentiates them from MS? Both have third party games. Both have MP focused games but only one has a diverse and large amount of exclusives that the other doesn't have.

Sonys secret isn't that it has 2-3 large games (which they have). Their secret is that they have something for everyone.
So they don't have 1 high selling game per year but 4-5 games per year that do good to very good numbers

Phils comments sound like he just doesn't think he has any teams that could deliver a title like TLOU or Zelda and instead wants to catch some whales.

Doesn't matter. The reality is very few developers are doing this anymore. Naughty Dog has been around forever specializing in SP experiences and has a huge fan base that will buy whatever they do. If Sony didn't have Naughty Dog things would be drastically different.

All I'm reading from you is "X game series by X developer that has been around for 20+ years is doing well, so why not everyone else? They just must not have the skill to do it!" Laughable at best. Just be happy Horizon is doing well, because there won't be a ton of others like it. If you want someone to blame you can start with consumers. It's not MS.

DNAbro

Just seems absurd to pretend like the PS4's success is due to their single player exclusive games. The PS4 become a huge success on the back of The Order, but the Wii U bombed?

It's a factor, sure. Seems way over blown though.

Well it's attractive hardware + games.

Wii U was something that no one wanted. Switch seems to be on the right track due to making good hardware + a steady line up of games.

Darksol

Reconfirming why this is not my primary console: service based games and a reluctance to make good story driven SP games.

Crackbone

So what differentiates them from MS? Both have third party games. Both have MP focused games but only one has a diverse and large amount of exclusives that the other doesn't have.

Sonys secret isn't that it has 2-3 large games (which they have). Their secret is that they have something for everyone.
So they don't have 1 high selling game per year but 4-5 games per year that do good to very good numbers

Sony does well because it's a worldwide recognized brand and they have the most diverse software lineup in the space. I think ignoring SP experiences is a bad idea generally. I don't care for those type games but I understand that you need those experiences to expand your potential user base.

MS has a ton to prove here beyond just announcements. Tough mountain to climb imo.

DeaDPo0L84

Every Phil Spencer interview is the ultimate edition of the spin room. I appreciate his passion for trying to help the Xbox brand but stop talking and show something of substance. Good intentions only carry you so far.

Papacheeks

Banned

WTF am I READING?

Are you not putting into account most of PS3's turn around was because of games like Little Big planet, Uncharted 2, God of war, Infamous, among other high profile games.

PS4 sales of even lesser games like Knack, Infamous:SS did well and then pathed the way on top of great third party support for games of the gen like Bloodborne, uncharted 4, Horizon. Even ratchet and clank was seeing it's best sales in the series history with the latest one.
And their commitment to keeping channels open are why we got Yakauza, Persona and a sequel to Garvity Rush.
All good to great games that pad out all the shooter, and online games by third party.

There commitment to staying who they are as a game company is why they are where they are. It's not just one thing. But a some of all the parts from great exclusive second party, great indie games, so far the best versions of third party games, and their dedication to creating great first party games most of them single player with optional online.

Xando

Sony does well because it's a worldwide recognized brand and they have the most diverse software lineup in the space. I think ignoring SP experiences is a bad idea generally. I don't care for those type games but I understand that you need those experiences to expand your potential user base.

MS has a ton to prove here beyond just announcements. Tough mountain to climb imo.
That's exactly what i'm saying. Sony built a worldwide brand by catering to everyone. I'm not saying they should only make SP games i'm saying they need both and Sony shows exactly why.

Going the Wii U route of almost only SP games is dumb aswell.

MS should try to get something for everyone (at which they failed imo) instead of milking what they already have

Their secret is that they own Naughty Dog. I'm sure Horizon benefited highly from having them under the same company roof. If that purchase never happened Sony's 1st party efforts would be drastically different today.

leeh

Because they added alot of value to the game, or because they weren't blatant cash grab scams?
Well considering all the DLC is free, and theres an awful lot of it, there was a lot of value added to that game.

Best thing is as well, I never paid a penny.

jayu26

Doesn't matter. The reality is very few developers are doing this anymore. Naughty Dog has been around forever specializing in SP experiences and has a huge fan base that will buy whatever they do. If Sony didn't have Naughty Dog things would be drastically different.

You just saw Sony's premier FPS studio that did multiplayer games successfully transition into single player RPG studio. Their Japanese third party partners are releasing supposedly niche single player franchises like Nioh, Nier and Persona and breaking a million plus sold without breaking sweat. Stuff like this doesn't happen because Sony has Naughty Dog. They have to cultivate a diverse group pf gamers, who know that their needs will be met on that platform.

Xando

Their secret is that they own Naughty Dog. I'm sure Horizon benefited highly from having them under the same company roof. If that purchase never happened Sony's 1st party efforts would be drastically different today.
Right. That's why they have had success with PS1, PS2 & PS4 (and to a lesser extent PS3).

Remind me again how Uncharted sold 50 million copies on PS4?

Malio

Microsoft says lots of things.

2005: "Microsoft is really re-committing itself to PC gaming!"

2007: "Microsoft is really re-committing itself to PC gaming!"

2009: "Microsoft is really re-committing itself to PC gaming!"

20012: "Microsoft is really re-committing itself to PC gaming!"

2015: "Microsoft is really re-committing itself to PC gaming!"

2017: "Microsoft is really re-committing itself to PC gaming!"

Livedili

Banned

Sony's secret is staying true to their values. Ever since they made a 180° turn-around during PS3 era, they've dominated. Meanwhile, Microsoft still doesn't know what they want in 2017. It's like they're just repeating their Xbox One reveal all over again.

Hell, other than Overwatch, I just can't stand these "service-based" games anymore. I like my story-driven games such as Persona 5 or actually good games like Breath of the Wild or real outstanding indie-titles such as Little Nightmares. Not a single Xbox-game caught my attention to this very date - but Scalebound. Well, we all know how this one ended. Same old shooters with no dramatic changes like Halo or Gears are getting boring.

Sony's secret is staying true to their values. Ever since they made a 180° turn-around during PS3 era, they've dominated. Meanwhile, Microsoft still doesn't know what they want in 2017. It's like they're just repeating their Xbox One reveal all over again.

Hell, other than Overwatch, I just can't stand these "service-based" games anymore. I like my story-driven games such as Persona 5 or actually good games like Breath of the Wild or real outstanding indie-titles such as Little Nightmares. Not a single Xbox-game caught my attention to this very date - but Scalebound. Well, we all know how this one ended. Same old shooters with no dramatic changes like Halo or Gears are getting boring.

I just really don't get the need to go in hard on MS here. This is a trend in gaming. It has nothing to do specifically with MS. It has to do with money. Enjoy the experiences you're talking about while you can... Because the current consumer trend is supporting the exact opposite with their income.

Fisty

Definitely not Sony's 1st party games. Especially back then. Mostly Nintendo being Nintendo in the mid-90's lead to Sony becoming the market leader with all of the 3rd Party support.

It's understandable to coast on 3rd party for your first gen or two. After that, you should have your shit together and be able to build your own tents without waiting for the circus to come around every November

Yep the Order is why Sony is rolling in dough right now...?

Or maybe because they didn't lose momentum and just happened to release the best game of the gen at that point a month later. Good variety of exclusives throughout the year is why they are winning.

WiiU bombing doesn't even belong in this discussion, that company is clueless from top to bottom
What is the best game of this gen at this time you're talking about?

It's understandable to coast on 3rd party for your first gen or two. After that, you should have your shit together and be able to build your own tents without waiting for the circus to come around every November

They're building tents. The tents that earned Activision somewhere around $4 billion additional revenue last year. Games as a service and digital transactions. It's just not the now niche tents that you want. I don't see Nintendo ever changing due to their base, but Sony will eventually go where the money is. Naughty Dog etc can't be counted on forever.

jelly

Well considering all the DLC is free, and theres an awful lot of it, there was a lot of value added to that game.

Best thing is as well, I never paid a penny.

A lot of content usually expected in a Halo game was missing at launch and was later free DLC. They worked that angle well. Not saying work wasn't involved but expectations and praise for that are suspect. Adding REQs and shit tier armour etc. yeah that's not a positive in my book. I think they've done some good by supporting it but warzone is a poor mode and maps are weak among other things. If Halo 6 day one is packed full and they support it well with good content, I'll be pleased.

The thing I've always appreciated about PlayStation is that Sony has never been timid to support their consoles with great quality titles. They've been laser focused since 1994 in providing the consumer with nothing but quality software for the most part. Sadly, I don't get the same vibe from Microsoft, but E3 is 45 days a way so we'll know for certain if they're committing to first party.

Quantum Break had extremely fun gameplay. Especially compared to other story driven games such as Tlou or Uncharted. So yeah, I'd agree with the guy. If quantum break is "hot garbage" then I'll take a steaming pile of games please. :D

Finally people talking sense, Quantum Break is great

They're building tents. The tents that earned Activision somewhere around $4 billion additional revenue last year. Games as a service and digital transactions. It's just not the now niche tents that you want. I don't see Nintendo ever changing due to their base, but Sony will eventually go where the money is. Naughty Dog etc can't be counted on forever.

But what Sony's doing is where the money is right now. And that includes first party SP exclusives.

Yeah but 3rd party publishers are making those games as services. No need for 1st party studios to do that. You are competing with Destiny, COD et al.

Better to create fresh new IP like horizon to give you name some brand recognition.

Halo, Gears and Forza are on the decline. Time to create the next big Microsoft franchise.

Creating a destiny clone is not it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom