• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: We're upping our investment with first party and committed to innovate

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinalAres

What's even funnier they are talking about the new Zelda... which sold more copies then Switches sold. No, no impact at all beyond driving Switch sales to sell every single piece of hardware Nintendo managed to produce.

My apologies, I assumed you were saying that every single person who bought a Switch also bought Zelda which is obviously not true (because 58% attach rate in Japan). Whereas I guess you were just saying there are as many Zelda copies for Switch as there are consoles? Which is obviously 100% true.

As long as they make games that succeed, they'll succeed. Certainly a succesful mp game with constant revenue stream is great, but those don't grow on trees any more than good story based sp games. Personally I don't subscribe (literally or figuratively) to any of this mp microtransaction bs and would prefer sp games, so it's sad to see publishers seeing that as the only way to make money these days, yet fail to see that to be actually succesful there you'd have to overthrow the current incumbents. And even if you create a mp game that isn't a direct competitor to stuff like Overwatch, I think most people stick to very few mp games as their staples.

correojon

So MS is going to develop games by executives, revenue data and sales charts telling the devs what games they have to do and what they should focus on. It surely sounds like the best way to use the talent of the devs and create groundbreaking masterpieces that will make everyone want to play them.

Maybe this had something to do with the Scalebound debacle?

Sure, they are selling.... except what is selling are the big multiplats. Destiny, Division, Rainbow Six (surprisingly), that latest Ghost Recon, CODs, Battlefront/Battlefield, etc... You know what's not selling, Gears and Halo.

Gears and Halo aren't service games, unless you think every game with a multiplayer falls under that category.

Trago

Toward the last sentence, presumably that's because their games that actually succeed are Halo, Gears, and Forza.

Outside of Forza, aren't those IP's on the decline anyway? Like I said before, third parties take up most of service MP games anyway. There's only so many that people can consume. I think balancing things out with some single player games would work better for them than effectively trying to compete with third parties.

Toe-Knee

So more or the games I hate and less (is this possible? ) of the ones I do.

Thanks for killing all of my interest in your platform.

BigPapi

SP games through game pass would be awesome unless its a game i plan to replay alot it would be perfect to play for the month and be done with it

jelly

I think the way Microsoft see it is. they could make $1 billion with three games and micro transaction revenue or $1 billion with six games but less micro transaction revenue. They will bet on the highest return for the least investment.

I'm awaiting to see how stuffed Sea of Thieves, State of Decay end up being with micro transactions. The former feels like some big secret they are hiding for later.

nynt9

I get the perception. But Pc gaming is no longer a sit at your desk thing. It's so easy these day to just connect a hdmi cable to your tv and use a wireless controller. But i totally understand why some would shy away from PC gaming given the reputation.

Console makers have spent a lot of effort and marketing dollars to create that perception and maintain it, imo. Hopefully over time it will change.

Outside of Forza, aren't those IP's on the decline anyway? Like I said before, third parties take up most of service MP games anyway. There's only so many that people can consume. I think balancing things out with some single player games would work better for them than effectively trying to compete with third parties.
I believe that also has to do with the fact that they put those games directly in the line of fire with games that will absolutely eat sales it makes no sense

Ahhhhhh the early days of an xbox generation. Are we here again? That magical time when MS will buy up a bunch of 3rd party exclusives and then promise 1st party games in the future from studios that dont exist or will be closed down in the next 3 years once all of the suckers have bought an xbox. Is that where we are again?

The current direction of Xbox is everything I don't want in gaming. I can't believe I went from owning 100+ 360 games to not even buying an XB1 at all.

As long as they are missing so many Japanese games I can't imagine anything that would make choose them over the PS4.

I will just copy and paste what I wrote in their first party thread.

The problem is with this strategy is that the GAAS model is also extremely competitive now. They are not the only company to gravitate towards this model. It's caught fire on mobile and have already moved to consoles already. They are late to the party, and have neglected a large portion of their single player games fan base in the process.

Feorax

Doubling down on games as a service is absolutely fucking pointless if you're trying to market that you now have the most powerful console ever made IMO. Might as well just buy an S for the trifecta and be done with it.

What's the point of having Scorpio if you aren't going to be developing games like Horizon and Zelda that visually and technically push the limits of what the console can do? I'm sure the likes of Destiny 2 and the next COD will look great, but I'd be stunned if either are anywhere near the fidelity of some of the SP stuff we've seen from Sony this gen.

Phil Spencers sweet little lies.

I've heard this from MS a lot before, because they've said it a lot, but I miss when it was *actually* the case. 360 had some fantastic new IPs and they haven't really done much since the second half of that generation.

Gator86

So you didn't played those games and are saying they are no good?

Quantum Break, which I rented, is astoundingly mediocre and not worth spending any money on. Recore wasn't even finished and was described as a disappointment in a myriad of ways and Ryse, which I haven't gotten around to yet, wasn't especially well-received or reviewed. It's not really some huge leap to say that's not a very impressive list. With how absurdly competitive and terrific the gaming landscape is now, I'm not spending money on fucking Quantum Break. Are you saying that list is impressive?

shandy706

So, a Halo/Forza crossover?

Already happened.

Looking forward to their E3 big time. Can't wait to see State of Decay 2 in full force..not to mention Crackdown.

Quantum Break, which I rented, is astoundingly mediocre and not worth spending any money on. Recore wasn't even finished and was described as a disappointment in a myriad of ways and Ryse, which I haven't gotten around to yet, wasn't especially well-received or reviewed. It's not really some huge leap to say that's not a very impressive list. With how absurdly competitive and terrific the gaming landscape is now, I'm not spending money on fucking Quantum Break. Are you saying that list is impressive?

Eh, I bought Quantum Break twice and put over 60 hours into it. It's a good game. Play Ryse on the Hardest setting and make sure you use the finishers to boost the stats you need on the fly. It's still free for Gold members, so be sure you downloaded it. Bought it Day one and really enjoyed it. Hardest setting and multiplayer are pretty good.

There are people here that are just now getting into Ryse with Games for Gold, so put your Gamertag up and they can play multi with you.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I do think it's actually very difficult to be a studio that can make a really successful singleplayer centric game.

Generally the types of games that sell best are:
1.) Ones that match the conditions of the market.
2.) Ones that are so exceptional that they succeed despite the current conditions of the market.

Microsoft doesn't have a bench of studios with strong singleplayer legacies, so it's much harder to go and succeed on that front.

Like yes, Guerrilla managed to go from having relatively poor reception to making a very well received game, but it's not like Sony didn't dump a ton of partners and titles along the way getting to that.

Now, I agree with the person who said that first parties, especially outside their flagship titles, are often best served making games that expand the audience for their platform instead of trying to compete with $30+ billion market cap juggernauts, but you still need the actual talent to do that.

Similarly, while Zelda is a huge success, you don't see Nintendo wheeling out a game like that every year. Zelda took five years to develop and is on the Switch in part because its development cycle went much longer than expected. In between games like that, they actually wheel out a lot of... service games like Splatoon, ARMS, Mario Kart, and Smash.

Now, I think Microsoft's first party line-up is actually pretty bad. They're not selling anywhere near what they used to, nor are many of their games resonating with niche purchasers, but that's something they can't really change quickly given games take 3-5 years to make these days.

'You'll have things like Zelda or Horizon Zero Dawn that'll come out, and they'll do really well, but they don't have the same impact that they used to have...'

..But they don't have the same impact that they use to have...????

????

giphy.gif

Lol at everyone mentioning breath of the wild while at the same time ignoring that nintendo skipped an entire generation to release it. I guess no one should be upset with phil for deciding he'll wait until next gen to pursue that avenue. Literally the same difference.

_Clash_

I'm really not keen on what I'm hearing from Phil, seems MS is really all about games as services going forward

But he's such a nice guy

Hoo-doo

Banned
So expect even less big AAA single-player focused games from them?

I know it's damn tempting to chase that big MP/Twitch/YouTube/Microtransaction money train, but your platform is going to suffer if you're not delivering some solid first-party single player titles as well. I really wonder how this will play out for them. I think Nintendo is pretty damn stoked on how Zelda was received and sold. Same with Sony and Horizon.

StereoVsn

Exclusives alone aren't what drive people to buy systems. If they were, Sony wouldn't need marketing deals for games like Red Dead, Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, and Call of Duty...

You make a great point. Early in the year is when single-player focused titles like that can really shine. But what happens when people finish playing those games? Service-based games thrive all year long. Games like those that you mentioned above do not.

It's a great example of why Xbox feels so "meh" at this time of year though. They don't really have a unique first-party offering that draws attention in the early months. They've instead relied on sales of the big titles that release in fall.

Yeah, while there is a good point here about properly scheduling releases, FFXV sold well in the end of November/December. God of War will sell well. Spiderman will sell well. RDR2 will sell well. Horizon would have sold well in the Holiday season.

The issue is thought that MS is not going to bother with SP games and they cancelled Scalebound and Fable. Of course what sells the best at the end are the large MP multiplats (and GTA) and Sony is making a smart move grabbing the marketing deals. However, what various SP games that Sony produces do is they pad out the library, give customers more variety. Maybe Uncharted alone is not enough to sway someone (or Last of Us, or P5 or Horizon or Spiderman or GoW, etc...) but if they can get their multiplat AND get a great cache of other types of games to boot, why would they go to the competitor who is lacking that?

What does upping our investment mean here? Bigger budget for the first party titles? Buying studios? Investing in existing studios?

Presumably fewer titles of bigger budget and each supported for longer.

I think his reasoning is that its not worth 4-5 years of development time for a single player only game that players purchase once, beat the 10-20 hours story and then shelve the game and forget about it.

Except that it has worked for decades and putting all of your eggs in one basket to chase a relatively new trend in the market is an incredibly bad idea?!

More first party studios.

I sincerely doubt that? They've shut down a handful in the last few years and seem more intent on keeping with their core few studios and partnering with third party developers on new stuff.

People don't forget about them if they are good games, they anticipate a sequel. How many Halos, Uncharteds, Gears, Forzas, GOWs, and many other game with re-iterations and sequels of franchise do we have. These are just excuses for them having a thin first party lineup.

Yeah, I kind of agree with this. It's probably even more troubling if he really does believe that people spend 10 hours with an SP game and then forget about it.

And also GaaS is a very competitive market and it's driven by third party games. Overwatch, Destiny, Rainbow six, Battlefield, CoD and more... it won't be easy at all for them to succeed in this market.

Cosmetics,season passes,expansions. We've seen it work all gen.

They're doubling down on an already crowded market

Agree with both of these. Third party publishers seem to have this market very well served and it's going to be just as hard to break in with a massively popular multiplayer game as it would be to launch a very popular single player game.

Didn't they say this in 2015?

Not exactly bursting at the seams in 1st party content.

He's been saying a lot of things about first party for a long time. This E3 is crucial IMO. It's time to put up or shut up.

Those games might not all sell well and light the world on fire but they still get people to purchase a PS4. Someone might be interested in Detroit and Until Dawn. Those won't light up the sales chart but it'll get consumers to buy a PS4 over an Xbox. I doubt MS has learned this as it sounds like Phil is focused more on how they sell.

Not everything needs to be a 5 million seller

I agree. Small games and niche games are crucial to an interesting first party line-up.

Exciting news, I wonder when we will see the fruits of this investement, maybe next years E3.
they started being more cautios with their announcements last E3, so I expect they to have started picking up games since early 2015. By next year I think they will have something to show.

Hilarion

Three and a half years in:

List of games on the XBox1 that interest me:

Ori and the Blind Forest (Played it on Steam, loved it)
Rare Replay
Sunset Overdrive

Upcoming Microsoft titles that interest me:

Cuphead

I honestly wouldn't mind eventually getting an XBox1 just because I really want Rare Replay and 360 BC, but it sounds like it will never hit that critical mass of content to justify the purchase.

Trago

I believe that also has to do with the fact that they put those games directly in the line of fire with games that will absolutely eat sales it makes no sense

Damn straight. Launching those games in the fall/holiday season? That's damn near commercial suicide.

Again, Sony seems to be getting this down. Launching several of those major games away from the big third party mammoths that make up most of the holiday season.

Zedox

You'll probably see more Single Player games like GTAV that have an online component but still single player focused than a one and done QB.

FinalAres

Lol at everyone mentioning breath of the wild while at the same time ignoring that nintendo skipped an entire generation to release it. I guess no one should be upset with phil for deciding he'll wait until next gen to pursue that avenue. Literally the same difference.

Yeah...if Microsoft is happy with WiiU level success for the XboxOne....

I'm an Xbox owner, as well as Sony and Nintendo console owner. I want to play my Xbox badly, but it hasn't been touched since Sunset Overdrive was released. Maybe when Phantom Dust comes out, I might boot it up for nostalgia, but I think it was a waste of an investment on my part. I wanted Scalebound and A new Fable someday, but now that seems like a foregone conclusion.

Edit: i don't think I'm the only owner who's concerned on this direction Phil is taking Xbox now, when the market and consumers wanting more exploration and big world games.

I with you on those concerns. I have an Xbox One S also and it rarely gets used. However It is a decent UHD player so if you have a 4k tv it's still the cheapers UHD player I think. Logan is coming in May so I will be booting it up for that.

Damn straight. Launching those games in the fall/holiday season? That's damn near commercial suicide.

Again, Sony seems to be getting this down. Launching several of those major games away from the big third party mammoths that make up most of the holiday season.
Even if you want those holiday sales I can't help it think there's a better way to get them. Why put your consumer base in a tight squeeze between supporting your games or supporting the plethora of third party services games released between sep-November.

3 of the biggest titles are releasing between those months and I fully expect coming out of e3 Microsoft will stuff their games into those periods because they have to they haven't really released well anything really third party exclusive or first party wise

GHG

The problem is with this strategy is that the GAAS model is also extremely competitive now. They are not the only company to gravitate towards this model. It's caught fire on mobile and have already moved to consoles already. They are late to the party, and have neglected a large portion of their single player games fan base in the process.

They have been late to the party with everything since they had their heads turned by the Wii during the 360 days.

"Oh look, that's making money, let's do that!"

And then by the time they actually release their version of whatever it was that they thought was hot the market is already moving on to the next thing. They need to understand that to really make serious money you need to invest and innovate in making the next big thing, but that would involve effort beyond looking at a few spreadsheets to decide what to do next.

As long as they are developing stuff from the ground up, and not seeing something potentially cool for all platforms, and then buying it up exclusively for Xbox, i'm fine with it.

(I'm still bitter about Halo going to Xbox, back from when I used to PC game as a kid).

On another note, a really big proportion of my favorite games ever are single platform focus, I often wonder does multi-plat somewhat dilute quality and focus.

Crayon

I wonder if they are going to try to enter the next generation with this same attitude. Or are they going to resume trying again.

Woah, his comment about singleplayer games is disappointing. :(

I currently own a PS4 Pro, and I really thought about getting the Scorpio for first party titles and better looking third party titles, but honestly, a few graphical improvements alone aren't that important to me. I'd rather support a company which has consistently released countless high quality singleplayer games, for years. Couldn't care less about this "games as a service" crap.

jelly

I wonder if they are going to try to enter the next generation with this same attitude. Or are they going to resume trying again.

Yeah, that's a problem. They should be building a portfolio right now, cutting their teeth this gen with new studios and IP, leading into the next gen like Sony did instead of coasting and having little to show for it next gen. The bigger user base is there for less risk.

gamz

Gemüsepizza;235025698 said:
Woah, his comment about singleplayer games is disappointing. :(

I currently own a PS4 Pro, and I really thought about getting the Scorpio for first party titles and better looking third party titles, but honestly, a few graphical improvements alone aren't that important to me. I'd rather support a company which has consistently released countless high quality singleplayer games, for years. Couldn't care less about this "games as a service" crap.

Cool. Carry on and continue with your support. Choices and all of that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom