• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Philadelphia broad street run: no backpacks, clear bags supplied

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/...lys-broad-street-run?linktype=hp_topstorylist

Always interesting to see things change in the wake of a tragedy.

In the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings, Philadelphia has been retooling its security strategy for its marquee foot race, the Broad Street Run.
Before outlying the city's plan, Mayor Michael Nutter gave this preface: "Let me be very clear: there is no specific threat to the city of Philadelphia."

Nutter did announce some key changes. Runners will not be allowed to bring their own backpacks. If they want to check gear, the city will provide them with transparent equipment bags before the race begins.
Spectators will be prohibited from bringing bags and coolers into the Navy Yard area beyond the finish line and will be discouraged to carry backpacks at any stretch of the race.

"You will see an enhanced police presence," said Nutter about the tighter security. "You will see other things that are quite visible to you. There will be a bunch of other things that we're doing that you won't see, you shouldn't see and we're not going to tell you, for all the right reasons."

On Tuesday the city announced it would utilize three "SENTRY" mobile surveilance units during the race. These are essentially cameras mounted high on poles that can remotely pan, tilt, zoom with the ability to record day and night.

Sunday's race covers a 10 mile stretch of Broad Street, starting in Olney and ending at the Navy Yard in South Philadelphia.
Officials urge all planning to attend the event to register for emergency text message alerts at www.readynotifypa.org

In case of emergency the city will have three evacuation shelters in place: Benjamin Franklin High School (Broad and Spring Garden), High School for the Creative and Performing Arts (CAPA, Broad and Christian), and South Philadelphia High School (Broad and Snyder).

Race organizers expect the event will draw over 100,000 people including both runners and spectators.
Runners have been encouraged to wear red socks to show support for the victims in Boston.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
It's getting harder to tote around drugs in the 'Terror State'.

Burger

Jesus.

Imagine if someone detonated a suitcase at a airport security check. Suitcases banned, everything must fit into a burlap sack that's emptied out into a pit by a robot so dogs can check for bombs. Airline checkin goes from 2 hours to 2 days.

i like mayor nutter

yeah, nutter is solid, and this makes sense. whenever there's a tragedy copycats tend to get ideas, and the BSR is a huge run. abour 35,000-40,000 runners when I did it the last couple of years, not counting the crowd along the route or at the navy yard.

I'd expect restrictions to relax a year or two from now.

SmokyDave

What a ridiculous overreaction.

I wonder what happens in the event you keep a gun in your bag. Would that mess up the distinction between open and concealed carry? I know bugger all about gun laws in this state or the US in general.

Purkake4

Banned
What a ridiculous overreaction.

I wonder what happens in the event you keep a gun in your bag. Would that mess up the distinction between open and concealed carry? I know bugger all about gun laws in this state or the US in general.
You will be provided with transparent clothes.

MasLegio

Banned
Nudity will now be an a legal obligation while occupying public spaces. Non-nudes will be fined and/or sentenced for up to 1 month incarceration for aggressive behaviour and crimes against public safety.
All personal objects must be carried in a transparent layered bag so that all items are visible from all angles.

Shesh...especially at the coolers. Come on Philly

be real for a second. these restrictions aren't much at all, and are probably more for the peace of mind of the runners and spectators than they are to actually "stop terrorism."

It's been less than a month since a bomb exploded at the boston marathon. Do you expect nutter to just say "yeah, we're not doing anything. you guys have fun out there?"

sangreal

be real for a second. these restrictions aren't much at all, and are probably more for the peace of mind of the runners and spectators than they are to actually "stop terrorism."

It's been less than a month since a bomb exploded at the boston marathon. Do you expect nutter to just say "yeah, we're not doing anything. you guys have fun out there?"

Yes, I do, bombings in the US are a rare and unlikely event and we shouldn't spend a significant amount of time or inconvenience worrying about them. Overbearing security didn't prevent the last one, and won't prevent the next one. This is nothing but your typical security theater responding to yesterday's threat.

awm8604

Banned
Pretty much. Wish the USA would just do what Norway did following their terrorist attacks.

Agreed. I remember a quote from one of the leaders (I think?) in Norway about how the incident would not change what they believe in, and it was a beautiful thing to read. Have to search for it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
e20CKyt.jpg

NekoFever

So they're not going to stop anything. Therefore let the people who are actually worried about this stuff stay home and stop bothering the rest of us.

MasLegio

Banned

these restrictions are more likely to disturb and hinder the runners in their preparation and effort as well as put off spectators to even go there

these restrictions are more likely to disturb and hinder the runners in their preparation and effort as well as put off spectators to even go there

disagree. the runners aren't carrying backpacks anyway. Gear is typically submitted to race officials before the run starts and picked up at the finish line.

"coolers at the finish line" isn't a big deal either, as the navy yard is full of vendors who supply food. Runners get complimentary drinks/snacks/etc when they complete the run supplied by race officials. Source: me. I've run this race twice. You?

A grand total of three cameras along a ten mile route isn't exactly 1984 territory.

Runners and spectators would be "disturbed and hindered" if the city announced the intention to not do anything at all. Bombings aren't that common, but copycats ARE, and this soon after the original event people still have the bombing on their mind.

If nutter did nothing the fallout would be ridiculous. He made the right move here.

Dead Man

disagree. the runners aren't carrying backpacks anyway. Gear is typically submitted to race officials before the run starts and picked up at the finish line.

"coolers at the finish line" isn't a big deal either, as the navy yard is full of vendors who supply food. Runners get complimentary drinks/snacks/etc when they complete the run supplied by race officials.

A grand total of three cameras along a ten mile route isn't exactly 1984 territory.

runners and spectators would be "disturbed and hindered" if the city announced the intention to not do anything at all. Bombings aren't that common, but copycats ARE, and this soon after the original event people still have the bombing on their mind.

If nutter did nothing the fallout would be ridiculous. He made the right move here.

Good for capitalism, bad for saving money.

S0N0S

In Pittsburgh they are removing all the mailboxes along the route this weekend.

Wait, what? Is this true?! They're absolutely paranoid.

A better response would be to carry on and hand out Liberty Bags and Freedom Coolers with American flag inspired designs, not fear and distrust through distribution of clear backpacks(as if any follow up attacks would be carried out in the same manner). Might as well tell everyone to spectate from home and do pat-downs for everyone else if you want to be absolutely sure.

Good for capitalism, bad for saving money.

I can't really say I've seen all that many coolers down there, though I freely admit I was a bit exhausted and not really looking at the time.

anyone REALLY concerned about saving money or drinking contraband (beer) is likely to be tailgating in the stadium parking lot along the race route a block or two away anyway.

snacknuts

we all knew her
There's a mini-marathan in Indianapolis tomorrow (largest half marathon in the US). Right after the Boston bombing, they were talking about potentially getting rid of all trash cans along the route, which I thought was a ridiculous overreaction. They have backed off on that, and after checking their site, I don't see any restrictions on backpacks or anything else out of the norm.

andthebeatgoeson

yeah, nutter is solid, and this makes sense. whenever there's a tragedy copycats tend to get ideas, and the BSR is a huge run. abour 35,000-40,000 runners when I did it the last couple of years, not counting the crowd along the route or at the navy yard.

I'd expect restrictions to relax a year or two from now.
Don't. I'm still taking off my shoes and belt at the airport.

Although, I would argue that it's better since we can check our luggage and have a reasonable expectation of not getting something stolen.

Futureman

Wait, what? Is this true?! They're absolutely paranoid.

A better response would be to carry on and hand out Liberty Bags and Freedom Coolers with American flag inspired designs, not fear and distrust through distribution of clear backpacks(as if any follow up attacks would be carried out in the same manner). Might as well tell everyone to spectate from home and do pat-downs for everyone else if you want to be absolutely sure.

From post-gazette.com:

Race organizers and public safety officials have told runners and spectators to avoid bringing large bags to the course that may unnecessarily arouse suspicion and to be prepared for extra screenings.

Areas near the start and finish line will be off-limits except to runners and will be surrounded by 6-foot fencing and monitored by police or other security personnel.

Organizers will give runners clear bags to hold a change of clothes and other items they'd like to have transported to the finish line.

Allegheny County police, the sheriff's office, state police, Port Authority police and other agencies are being called in to offer extra assistance.

Extra city paramedics, who are donating their wages from the day to a charity for Boston bombing victims, will be stationed along the course. They will be assisted by 26 ambulance units from other agencies.

The U.S. Postal Service announced on Wednesday that it would remove mailboxes along the race route as a precaution.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...hon-to-restrict-traffic-all-over-city-686116/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom