• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix, Arizona Now The 5th Biggest City in the U.S.-Has Passed Philadelphia

rjinaz

Do you get a lot of insects in your house there? Like, is it common to get scorpions and stuff in your room?

If you live more in rural areas, yes you will get scorpions in your home. I was stung about a month ago. It was fucking hell. Lot's of wild life if you live just outside of the city, like where I am, about 10 miles North. Coyotes, javelina, lizards, gila monsters, rattle snakes, I've even seen bob cats and a mountain lion though that was more like 20 miles north.

If you live in the city though, more towards the center, wildlife is rare outside of coyotes.

I just went to AZ 2 months ago, mainly the Scottsdale, Tempe, and Mesa areas. I really enjoyed it and could see why people would live there. But there's fucking way I could deal with that heat. My wife graduated from ASU and couldn't wait to get out there solely for that reason.

That was kind of my point. Dry Heat makes sense to say when its 80 degrees out but when its over a 100? Its kind of a useless statement because it still feels like Hell on Earth and you're still gonna be drenched in sweat.
And my point is I disagree with you. I am labelling the experiences as a whole 115 low humidity>90 high humidity. I don't like the humidity in the summer and I do see it as a different experience here, even when it's 115

Also, Scottsdale is winning!

That is all.

I vacationed in North Scottsdale a few years ago and almost (almost) moved there. Town was amazing and upscale. I know the AZ heat, I vacation there during the summers actually on the river. I decided to stay in socal, but North Scottsdale is legit.

One of the best tiny cities I've been to. It was like suburban and high end sprawl, but 5 minutes from downtown food and culture. Perfect IMO

I vacationed in North Scottsdale a few years ago and almost (almost) moved there. Town was amazing and upscale. I know the AZ heat, I vacation there during the summers actually on the river. I decided to stay in socal, but North Scottsdale is legit.

One of the best tiny cities I've been to. It was like suburban and high end crawl, but 5 minutes from downtown food and culture. Perfect IMO

Downtown is exciting for me, especially given its potential for entertainment growth. The little Nightclub district is lacking right now but if they demolished the brick buildings in the area they could get something going on.

As others have said, I think going by metro area size as a data point is better.

Speaking of the heat, I have lived in the desert and now the gulf South. I fucking hate the humidity. I would choose the dry heat. But 115 dry heat is oppressive as well. They both damn suck.

I'm not surprised that Philly is shrinking. How City Hall thinks that 8% sales tax plus now a soda tax on top of City Wage tax and Business Privilege tax would be a good idea when you're surrounded on on the PA side by suburbs with 6% sales tax and none of these other crazy taxes. Everyone who can is moving outside the city.

Chicago: 234 sq miles

Houston: 627 sq miles

You're right, but it's not hard when you got 2.5x as much space by annexing half of south east Texas.

True, but the Chicago metro isn't really growing, either. And there's a lot of space to grow still out in the suburbs.

Figgles

I'm not surprised that Philly is shrinking. How City Hall thinks that 8% sales tax plus now a soda tax on top of City Wage tax and Business Privilege tax would be a good idea when you're surrounded on on the PA side by suburbs with 6% sales tax and none of these other crazy taxes. Everyone who can is moving outside the city.

Poor people are moving out. Young professionals are flooding the city.

kess

Was. That has changed in the past five years.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Crazy that the population of the borough of Queens, NY alone beats the population of Chi-town and Phoenix.

The Llama

1. The city is growing, just slower than Phoenix.
2. Tell the state to change the constitution to allow progressive taxation.

fastmower

Eh, it's the metro area that really counts. A city's boundary varies wildly in sq. miles. Atlanta for example is a major metro but the city itself isn't that large from a population standpoint. On the other side, Jacksonville's population is way inflated just because of how large it is in land area.
Thank you for bringing sense into this thread. Also, screw how hot Phoenix gets.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
And my point is I disagree with you. I am labelling the experiences as a whole 115 low humidity>90 high humidity. I don't like the humidity in the summer and I do see it as a different experience here, even when it's 115

Again it wasn't a competition between which is worse...

el jacko

Phoenix is mentioned a lot in Suburban Nation, none of it being positive.
It's a desert, right? Deserts have never had enough water to support any large numbers of people. Nevada was less populated than Alaska for a long time, for example. And both Nevada and Arizona in their current forms are impossible without decent AC and cars, and all the infrastructure that requires.

I remember reading once about a plan to build a pipeline from the Great Lakes to Arizona to help with water demands.

Houston is expanding so rapidly it's hard to keep up. Of course the Houston sprawls out for miles in every direction so it really doesn't feel like it should be as big

Dry heat is one of those phrases that loses all meaning in 100 + degree weather. Its still brutally hot and oppressive. I've worked in Phoenix and walking a few blocks in the shade had me sweating like a ran a half marathon.
100+ is nothing, really. I hate it, but it's endurable. 110+ though, you're absolutely right. When it's 117 outside, dry means exactly jack shit. Opening the door is like opening an oven, and the sunlight outside is LITERALLY PAINFUL. And I'm a 20 year vet of this shit. God do I miss the year I spent in Flagstaff. I'll take sub-zero temperatures and several feet of snow over Phoenix summer every day of the week and twice on Sunday

Jeels

Los Angeles is the GOAT.

+ best food
+ best weather
+ 5 minutes to the beach
+ endless opportunity and things to do
+ incredible hiking
+ most culturally diverse
+ blue af
+ E3
+ best music scene
+ food trucks
+ kevtones

Only negative is that it's expensive

But then you have to deal with the people that live in LA. :p

sqwarlock

Lived in Glendale for 27 years. Glad to be out of the Phoenix Metro area. Arizona as a whole isn't bad (love Flagstaff especially) but Phoenix? Fuck that place.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
MSA population is much more meaningful than population within city limits. Philly is the 7th biggest city in the US by MSA and Phoenix is only 12th.

Basically was gonna post this.

I don't really care about just inner city population​. Give me metro to get a real feel for how big a full city area is.

AmyS

True, but the Chicago metro isn't really growing, either. And there's a lot of space to grow still out in the suburbs.

You're right.

And the burbs is where I live.

The total population of the Chicago suburbs is greater than the city itself. We're spread out through 8 counties in Illinois, plus the rest of Cook.

Soybean

I visited Phoenix a decade ago and it seemed like a suburb in grid form. Barely any density or walkability. Definitely needed a car. Wasn't terribly appealing to me.

andthebeatgoeson

Los Angeles is the GOAT.

+ best food
+ best weather
+ 5 minutes to the beach
+ endless opportunity and things to do
+ incredible hiking
+ most culturally diverse
+ blue af
+ E3
+ best music scene
+ food trucks
+ kevtones

Only negative is that it's expensive
5 minutes from where? You can be on the highway, looking at the beach and still be a half hour away.

PKrockin

I lived in Phoenix for a bit. I didn't mind the summers, even the first time I experienced them. A dry 115 feels hot, but as soon as you get back into AC you're perfectly fine again. In a way, it was even sort of refreshing. I visited Florida in the summer and 90 degrees plus high humidity is orders of magnitude worse. Once you start getting hot, you're fucked. You can't cool off. You get coated in sweat. It's hard to sleep. It's hell. I'd take a month in Phoenix's summer over a day in Miami's.

AntoneM

It's a desert, right? Deserts have never had enough water to support any large numbers of people. Nevada was less populated than Alaska for a long time, for example. And both Nevada and Arizona in their current forms are impossible without decent AC and cars, and all the infrastructure that requires.

I remember reading once about a plan to build a pipeline from the Great Lakes to Arizona to help with water demands.
Pipeline to the CO river maybe. California uses about 60% the CO river water, mainly for agriculture. Phoenix is largely supplied by the Salt River basin and was long considered an oasis.

As for everything else in this thread there are something like 5,000 multi-family residential units under construction in central Phoenix right now and about 20,000 city wide. Scottsdale is shit beyond clubs, Tempe is cool, but is a college town. The rest of "the valley" is pretty terrible, but, some of the most interesting and best meals I've ever had have been in strip malls here. It's just a different build environment.

Piggus

Sister lives in Scottsdale. Says it's way too hot. She wants to come back to Austin. But isn't Austin just as hot? Maybe the heat wave doesn't last as long.

I've only been to Arizona in January, so I couldn't really judge. It was still warm though, meaning it must get hot as hell in the summer. To be fair though, we get the occasional 110+ days in Southern Oregon as well. Just not all the time...

Phoenix is yet another example of an amalgamation of the US's atrocious (sub)urban planning

I could live 3 lifetimes and I'll always prefer living in suburbia and visiting downtown cities, anywhere. Best of both worlds, I can live quietly with tons of space and visit the city whenever I want that experience. City life is way too fast for me, noisy as all hell and people are just stacked on top of one another. Neat for a day or two max, but then I always crave the quiet neighborhood to go home to.

So I would say Phoenix (and much of AZ or TX) are an example of the US's awesome suburban planning. You see, opinions are like assholes.

Everyone has one, and they all stink.

Pretty much, though I think volume of people in the area is why our water is at risk as well.

pestul

The more meaningful statistic:

zy46vu4.jpg

Lived in Glendale for 27 years. Glad to be out of the Phoenix Metro area. Arizona as a whole isn't bad (love Flagstaff especially) but Phoenix? Fuck that place.

There's your problem right there.

Straight up. I'd hate life in general if I was stuck in Glendale or anywhere on the west side, really.

I've lived in Tempe for 10 years, just moved the Coronado neighboorhood in Phoenix proper and have consistently enjoyed my time here. The summer is obviously oppressive, but it's easy enough to stay indoors and to take day trips to escape every once in a while.

The thing that has always stood out to me about PHX is that we seem to really lack an identity. I think most of this is due to the high amount of transplants that live here (myself included).

PS - Old Town/North Scottsdale is nice for a date night, but fuuuuuck living there. Obnoxious people.

Top Bottom