• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Point |FIG| Sci-fi horror "Cthulhu-COM" from creator of original X-COM

Joco

Wow, I figured it would play similar to the new XCOMs but that looks like a straight up copy. From the tile based movement to the combat to the interface.

Velurian

Yeah, kind of weird. I mean I liked xcom and xcom2, but I feel they should bring something new to the table...

pottuvoi

Banned
I kind of hope he will bring back some things from Lord of Chaos, which had different types of units.
Should work with the idea of evolving enemy.

Stoze

Watched the footage. I liked that there were no percentage chances, instead cover and range take direct penalties off from damage and there are no damage ranges on weapons (i.e. 4 damage instead of 3-5)...but apparently that's just for the alpha and they do actually plan on adding the traditional chance to hit stuff, at least according to the Youtube comments.

I'm down with just more straight-up modern XCOM though, and that looked very good for a game still in the initial crowdfunding phase.

Tu101uk

For people wondering about the movement and action systems, there's a nice dev video they just put up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miATzWeqnxg

It is a mix (or hybrid as they call it) of Firaxis's Two-Action system, with a couple things found in the older X-COM titles (inching forward tile by tile, stopping movement when spotting enemies, etc.).

It's very alpha-stage from the looks of it, and they said the actual game is 18 months away so I'm sure more uniqueness and polish is on its way,

For people wondering about the movement and action systems, there's a nice dev video they just put up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miATzWeqnxg

It is a mix (or hybrid as they call it) of Firaxis's Two-Action system, with a couple things found in the older X-COM titles (inching forward tile by tile, stopping movement when spotting enemies, etc.).

It's very alpha-stage from the looks of it, and they said the actual game is 18 months away so I'm sure more uniqueness and polish is on its way,
This does a decent job at showing off the differences. Never played the original XCOM, so seeing those changes in action was helpful

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This looks excellent. I'd back it, but I doubt I'll have the time for another x-com game in the near future.

Skab

Oh man I only just heard/found out about this today. Can't wait to see more of it. Hopefully it captures a bit more of the feel of the original xcom as opposed to the modern one. The original has a feel to it all of its own that I absolutely love.

Top Bottom