• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy coming to PC, PS4, Switch, Xbox One

Finally, I can sell my ds copies and get this. Might go for the switch version as it is not graphically demanding.
https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/22/1...-pc-ps4-nintendo-switch-xbox-one-release-date

Capcom is bringing the first three games in the Ace Attorney series to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One next year. At Tokyo Game Show today, the publisher announced a new version of the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy for release in early 2019.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy will include Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney — Justice for All and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney — Trials and Tribulations. All three were originally released on Game Boy Advance, but have since been re-released on a variety of other platforms. The trilogy has been ported as a collection to Android, iOS and Nintendo 3DS.

Pricing for the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy was not announced.

The Ace Attorney series debuted in 2001 with the first Phoenix Wright game. Capcom followed the Game Boy Advance original with 10 more sequels and spin-offs starring a string of attorneys and investigators who help solve crimes in dramatic courtroom battles.

Check out Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy’s HD visuals in the gallery below.

Is ios version of Ace Attorney indicative of gameplay in this ones ? I've tried that and it had zero of the fun Danganronpa gave me.

Petrae

Playing these with Achievements/Trophies could be pretty neat. Not sure I’ll bite early (depending on price), but will likely buy at some point.

Woffls

Nice. VNs help me sleep for some reason, so it would be good to have some on Switch. Also never played Ace Attorney series somehow...

Akuza89

wow that's cool.

I loved these games, still play them from time to time, however i'll pick these up on switch!

brap

Banned
The art for these look like shit. If it gets a physical release on PS4 though I'm gonna have to get it :messenger_weary:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I own 'em all on DS so I'm torn. Did the HD releases have anything notable added to them? I kinda like the chiptune music and low-res charm of the originals.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, that happened.

I must admit that I haven't played any of these games but I saw a few gameplay videos from the last two games (I mean the very last two games in the series) and they look much better and even have VO and full-on anime cut-scenes which look amazing so... why not port them instead? I don't know, not very exsited about the whole thing overall, maybe it's just not my thing? Altough I thought the same about Fire Emblem and ended up liking this series A LOT.

Last edited:

Shouta

Is ios version of Ace Attorney indicative of gameplay in this ones ? I've tried that and it had zero of the fun Danganronpa gave me.

Ace Attorney tends to be a bit more vanilla in terms of gameplay compared to Danganronpa. It doesn't have the sim elements and the Trial gameplay is more about trying to spot the inconsistency, with a few other things, to get to the truth of the case. DR integrates mini-games into it to make it a bit more interactive. If you like the core investigate/solve aspect, I think you should be fine but if you really enjoyed the interactive parts of DR, you might not have as much enjoyment with the title.

ExpandKong

Banned
Well, that happened.

I must admit that I haven't played any of these games but I saw a few gameplay videos from the last two games (I mean the very last two games in the series) and they look much better and even have VO and full-on anime cut-scenes which look amazing so... why not port them instead?

It’s Capcom. They’ll port the rest of the games sooner rather than later. Then they’ll release a collection containing both collections.

Anyway, this is the best jumping in point for you. Characters and plot lines carry over all the games.

I'm surprised. Capcom actually went and fixed the UI so that it no longer looks like a DS port.
Always was bewildered how they would base all trilogy ports on the DS version dual screen setup instead of the original GBA UI for a single screen.
Now if only they would port back the temporary saves from the 2001 GBA/Windows XP version, even as an optional hard mode.

Only happened on GBA, when you run out of penalties you restart the beginning of that day, all saves are temporary and you must live with the consequences of your previous decisions, actually gave weight to penalties. It's a damn shame how difficulty degraded in the series, from generous penalties, to permanent saves, to game overs now rewinding back to the last question you failed with full penalty points restored... It's now encouraging save scumming.

Big shame Capcom is still not reusing the European (or the Korean) localizations they already did for the DS versions of the first four games plus Ghost Trick (which they also own since they used them on some cell phone releases). They were very well done and there's no easy way to get them nowadays considering how scattered their release was. Absolutely no excuse for that, all games even on 3DS already include the full European fonts.

Hopefully they port the mobile versions for the later games (and Ghost Trick, and Monster Hunter Stories now I think about it), those would be pretty neat since they're in HD resolution already on smartphones and really deserve better than always-online cloud saving versions.

Playing these with Achievements/Trophies could be pretty neat. Not sure I’ll bite early (depending on price), but will likely buy at some point.
What

Last edited:

EDMIX

YES! FINALLY! I had a feeling we'd start to see some series come from portable to home console based on Switches design. The design allows for touch screen to simply be an option as the device must also out to a tv, which means many games would need the option to not have touch support, thus meaning some titles can be ported over to something else if touch isn't a main concept.

Been waiting for this series to come to more platforms for a while. Love the first 2 games, but I want to see them on a bigger screen lol

edit. Hoping Square finally brings Bravely Default series on to other platforms too. Its time they see portable isn't the only option for some of theses series. If they can exist on portable, they 100% can exist on home console and PC.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Wow, that’s pretty awesome. As a huge fan of the series, I’m happy to see the original trilogy hit current gen consoles. I am a bit surprise that its coming to the Xbox One but it’s a nice surprise. Definitely picking this up, hoping for physical copy but I’m not going to get too hopeful, though digital is fine too.

26246c8.gif

EDMIX

Wow, that’s pretty awesome. As a huge fan of the series, I’m happy to see the original trilogy hit current gen consoles. I am a bit surprise that its coming to the Xbox One but it’s a nice surprise. Definitely picking this up, hoping for physical copy but I’m not going to get too hopeful, though digital is fine too.

26246c8.gif

Same. I think they want to see if they can have a market on XB. Doesn't hurt to try as I'm sure it will be a low cost port as not much goes on in the game to really make it that costly to transfer over.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I always wanted to give this series a try so definitely picking this up on Switch, it feels like its made for that system.

Last edited:

Bardiche

Hoping to see a physical edition coming to the Switch, but like the previous releases of this Trilogy, it will likely be digital only. I just wish Capcom would release a trilogy that has Ace Attorney Investigations 2 and the Great Ace Attorney.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
It’s about time all these game companies realize they need to spread the love, and limiting yourself to one console is going to only hurt your sales in the long run.

It’s a shame it took them this long to realize it, but hopefully going forward they will be smarter.

Top Bottom