• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pic of the rumored $500 PS4 bundle (New one or the one before they removed the PSeye)

Guymelef

This kind of bundle with camera are a bit.. meh...
Gives the impression that for the same price that is only ~50$ cheapest than XBone.

Bold move to remove it. They may have sentenced the Eye to (relative) death.

I personally think it's the least of their concerns. If they can win the generation due to a lower price point because they dropped a camera that would be used only for a couple of games as a mandatory piece of equipment , go for it.

That's the thing I kinda hate about motion controls. Both Nintendo and Microsoft push so hard for them, while Sony arguably has the most logical stance on these issues : They release the hardware so that all these experiences can be had on their system, they develop some softtware for it and hope these new technologies will fancy the interest of game developpers and gamers . Turns out in the long run most developpers don't care about stuff like Move and PS eye, so they avoid developping cool features for these anyway, while gamers are partially de-motivated in buying these hardware pieces because they don't want another plastic gadget sitting home collecting dust since developpers have no clue how to make interesting experiences using these gimmicks anyway.

Innovation is not forcing everyone to use the same tools, it's allowing developpers to say to themselves "I want a game that uses voice features, camera features, move features, can I do it ?"... If the awnser is yes, that's great.

That's imho one of the best part about the Playstation ecosystem. They have wii-like motion systems, but more accurate and precise, allowing ports of every game feasible on WII. They have a camera that's more than adequate to do what Kinect can do, so they can port any game with kinect features if they feel like it. They have some degree of Vita Remote Play integration, which should allow them to use the Vita as a WIIU remote for ports from said console.

Now, what Sony really needs to do, in a couple of years when people have their PS4s paid for and are starting to have more money in the bank, is to sign a deal with Oculus Rift and put in on PS4 with PS Move controls... Now that's something that would be a system seller.

I really appreciate them including a "headset" this time, but really 1 earbud and mic?

It looks extremely cheap and earbuds are horrible for home use.

I can ignore the lack of the PSEye but got dangit I wish companies would offer incentive with new consoles. Make some type of first party game deal and have the game cheaper then buying it separately.

AniHawk

I have no interest in Knack.

Am I wrong?

a lot of people aren't really that interested in knack. it has come up a lot.

i don't get the appeal either. the game resembling 'early playstation games' sounds more like a slam than a compliment.

mylasthope

Neo Member
I can ignore the lack of the PSEye but got dangit I wish companies would offer incentive with new consoles. Make some type of first party game deal and have the game cheaper then buying it separately.

They eventually will, but they have no need do such a thing on launch day.

If they really think Knack is going to move some consoles they need a reality check at some point...

That's Sony's problem in general. They are totally delusional about some of their ip's potential.. Think what you want about Titan Fall but it will probably sell better (ok, on pc :p ) than Knack, Drive Club and Kill Zone cumulated... Sony is always doing is own shit not really caring.
Pretty sure all three will sell better than Titanfall this year since it wouldn't be available until first quarter 2014.

smurfx

get some go again
From what Shu Yoshida said, they may well announce a premium bundle later, for launch. Camera + a game would make sense, from a value point of view, of a 500 bundle vs the 400 model. Obviously the camera alone wouldn't do it, with it being only $60 separately.
that would be a dumb move. you want that 100 dollar price difference to be one of the major things consumers notice. you are giving up this massive advantage by having a console out there with the same price.

luffeN

I'm already getting these all. Would've loved a bundle but I rather have one SKU.

If the game is also 60, theoretically you can save about 20 $/€ compared to buying seperately. If they will release the bundle I have to consider my purchase.

mylasthope

Neo Member
that would be a dumb move. you want that 100 dollar price difference to be one of the major things consumers notice. you are giving up this massive advantage by having a console out there with the same price.

I highly doubt Sony would lose sales if they offered a more expensive launch bundle. If anything, some people would change their pre-orders to the more expensive bundles.

They eventually will, but they have no need do such a thing on launch day.

And why not? I know that it will come eventually but how bout giving thanks to the people that purchase your console day 1 at full price. I mean I know it sounds greedy/needy but I just think it would be nice to be recognized and thanked for my purchase so soon in a consoles life. I think getting Ambassador Program with my 3DS spoiled me but a smaller version of that would just be a nice little thing I'd like to see happen. I know that it won't however.

And why not? I know that it will come eventually but how bout giving thanks to the people that purchase your console day 1 at full price. I mean I know it sounds greedy/needy but I just think it would be nice to be recognized and thanked for my purchase so soon in a consoles life. I think getting Ambassador Program with my 3DS spoiled me but a smaller version of that would just be a nice little thing I'd like to see happen. I know that it won't however.

The ambassador program exists because they cut like $75 off the price after we bought it for $250. That wasn't a nice gesture by nintendo, it was a bribe so we wouldn't go nuts that they dropped price so quickly.

You're not going to see that with either console unless one totally bombs.

mylasthope

Neo Member

While that would be nice, Sony has no real need to. People who were going to buy the console on day 1 were going to regardless of whether or not Sony offers a "thank you."

DBT85

This could easily still be an official sku. But they have shown nothing that makes me want the eye yet and I already have the move controllers ready to go.

I do expect to see something at gamescom though.

Personally think every Box should have a month of PS+ in it too.

KAL2006

Banned
Knack is a stupid game to bundle with a camera. What would make me buy a camera personally is if Sports Champions 3 was bundled with it.

The ambassador program exists because they cut like $75 off the price after we bought it for $250. That wasn't a nice gesture by nintendo, it was a bribe so we wouldn't go nuts that they dropped price so quickly.

You're not going to see that with either console unless one totally bombs.

I am aware of why the program existed all I'm saying is I like the idea of early users being rewarded for such. But like I said I know that it won't happen. I will be getting both systems and it isn't like its the end of the world to know that the better deals are offered later in the life span. I know how it has worked before and I understand there is no reason to expect a change. Its just something that I would like to happen. A pipe dream if you will.

And honestly I am not upset about Sony dropping the PSEye out of the standard unit because I don't have any desire to own it. It was really seeing the game included in the bundle for this that makes it look like it would have been a good deal to anyone that wanted all of these included and it bothers me a little that they couldn't just offer a cheaper bundle with the game so that it is still a discounted price as apposed to buying the console and the game separately. But since this isn't a confirmed bundle I don't have any real reason to get upset.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Again, I'm a bit confused by that sentiment.

There are (clearly) lots of people who don't want the camera and who won't want Knack, and they'll certainly see the difference. The price of the box is unchanged, this is just a value bundle of a game + accessories that some people may or may not want.

I mean, Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo put out official bundles all the time that are a lot higher in price than the base, standard SKUs of just the console on its own.

Cheech

a lot of people aren't really that interested in knack. it has come up a lot.

i don't get the appeal either. the game resembling 'early playstation games' sounds more like a slam than a compliment.

It would make a great $20 downloadable title.

Completely confused as to why they went full balls retail on that game.

Afrikan

Choice?? Currently maybe. Remember this is the company that retrospectively removed features from the PS3. Yeah, Sony are awesome with choice.

removed features because many wanted a lower price. They didn't remove features at the time. If you still wanted BC and those USB/memory ports, you didn't have to buy the new version. Could've still bought the phat version.

if you are talking about Linux, well you didn't have to update if you didn't want to. You could've still played all the games you owned leading up to that point. But if you wanted to keep Linux that bad, while still playing the latest games and online...you could've bought a separate cheaper PS3.

so yeah, there was choice.

spwolf

This picture is similar to the pictures that were taken showing the contents of the PS4 box. This might have been the $500 bundle that Sony was going to announce before they decided to remove the game and Eye to make the price $400. Or it may even be a future bundle that may come out soon.

PS4-Knack-Bundle.jpg

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/26/picture-of-a-ps4-bundle-with-playstation-camera-and-knack-leaked/

The $400 one:

uh, just like they have $500 bundles with game + 12 months of PS+?

Seems same kind of bundle they offer now, nothing "special"...

Even if the game is wrong, I feel morally obliged to buy Knack as a thank you to Cearny for getting everything so right with the hardware...

Crazy..

Again, I'm a bit confused by that sentiment.

There are (clearly) lots of people who don't want the camera and who won't want Knack, and they'll certainly see the difference. The price of the box is unchanged, this is just a value bundle of a game + accessories that some people may or may not want.

I mean, Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo put out official bundles all the time that are a lot higher in price than the base, standard SKUs of just the console on its own.

To folks like us what you're saying is absolutely right. To the more general consumers the idea of having one sku that is $100 cheaper than their rival is huge. So while a $500 version would be a good value it would actually change the narrative to 'both systems cost the same.'

Much like how people consider $350 the price of the wii u since it outsells the $300 version by a ton.

Madness

I'd rather buy XbOne without Kinect. I don't care about Skype, voice controls or motion gimmicks. Whoever wants to use those features can purchase it separately.

Those saying that it means the eye will never take off, I'm pretty sure neither will the Kinect. Will be just another underutilized gimmick because it isn't central or needed for most games. Much like how so many people who game on a 3DS rarely uses the 3D aspect.

I'd rather buy XbOne without Kinect. I don't care about Skype, voice controls or motion gimmicks. Whoever wants to use those features can purchase it separately.

Those saying that it means the eye will never take off, I'm pretty sure neither will the Kinect. Will be just another underutilized gimmick because it isn't central or needed for most games. Much like how so many people who game on a 3DS rarely uses the 3D aspect.

you never know pseye/kinect imagine cutting a promo as your create a wrestler in a wrestling game, lol - if used as optional stuff it can really take off.

Rootbeer

Banned
knack is a discount buy for me, so i'm happy this didn't happen. I will most definitely buy the Eye if it's demonstrated to be useful. I do hope a lot of games and OS features make use of it. Could be interesting.

Damn I woulda bought that shit. Saved some money on Knack.

So no power brick?

An engineering marvel indeed.

PSX and PS2 Slim (original) are the only Sony consoles to ever use power bricks. They know their shit!

It would make a great $20 downloadable title.

Completely confused as to why they went full balls retail on that game.

I'll buy it, to have something for my kids at launch. To be honest, that's a more appealing launch game than Killzone because at least someone will have fun playing it.

Choice?? Currently maybe. Remember this is the company that retrospectively removed features from the PS3. Yeah, Sony are awesome with choice.

... well, what are they going to do, ship us all cameras and Knack against our will post-launch? It feels like you're just swinging blindly here, chief.

Knack does use the eye, actually all PS4 games use the eye since you can stream with yourself in the video with the game. Like how they showed at the PS4 reveal with knack.

Raymo

I have a feeling IGN was just making assumptions in their article. I don't think Sony ever planned to include that camera, especially considering no games have announced any features using it.

Now if you want to trust what Sony said...
They said themselves that they always planned to release at $400. They said you can't just react to your competition and price your accordingly. They also stated how you have to go in with a set business plan that is going to work no matter work. Lastly, they even added that the slides were not changed after the Microsoft announcement.

I'm not sayin this picture isn't a possible bundle. I'm saying I think the $400 bundle always existed.

Top Bottom