• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that make you laugh |OT| Pic Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicer

Banned
WgtdF.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU-W8jWeGRM

Double D

CHEEZMO™;37963649 said:
#7 is really cute :3

I also only jsut noticed what's written under their names.

Wait, is it pronounced "win"? I always wondered how you say it.

I went to school with a family of Nguyens and they pronounced it "New Win"

Ferrio

Banned
CHEEZMO™;37963649 said:
#7 is really cute :3

I also only just noticed what's written under their names.

Wait, is it pronounced "win"? I always wondered how you say it.

Not really.... "New Win" is more how it's pronounced... but the "new" is really subtle.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
It's a Nguyen Nguyen situation

I was trying to get an Peter Nguyen of EA and Thierry Nguyen of 1Up to form a band called that.

They just stared at me.

mrplaid

Just out of curiosity, why is the name Nguyen so ubiquitous among Vietnamese people?

And after two seconds of looking up "Nguyen" on Wikipedia, I have the answer:

In Vietnamese history, many events contributed to the name's prominence. In 1232, after usurping the Lý Dynasty, Trần Thủ Độ forced the descendants of the Lý to change their surname to Nguyễn. When Hồ Quý Ly overturned the Trần Dynasty, he killed many of their descendants so when the Hồ Dynasty collapsed in 1407, many of his descendants changed their surname to Nguyễn in fear of retribution. In 1592, on the collapse of the Mạc Dynasty, their descendants changed their surname to Nguyễn and Lều. When the Nguyễn Dynasty (the descendants of the Nguyễn Lords) took power in 1802, some of the descendants of the Trịnh Lords fearing retribution changed their surname to Nguyễn, while others fled north into China. The Nguyễn Dynasty awarded many people the surname Nguyễn during their rule, and many criminals also changed their surname to Nguyễn to avoid prosecution. As with other common surnames, people having this surname are not necessarily related.[3]
In Vietnamese custom as with other East Asian cultures, the surname precedes the given names. Like many surnames in Vietnam and other Chinese-influenced cultures including Korea, the name Nguyễn is shared with those in the Chinese culture with the same surname. The Chinese/Hán Tự character for Nguyễn is 阮.

Interesting!

Avixph

Just out of curiosity, why is the name Nguyen so ubiquitous among Vietnamese people?

And after two seconds of looking up "Nguyen" on Wikipedia, I have the answer:

Interesting!

So, does that mean that a large population of people in Vietnam have the last name Nguyễn?

Retro

CHEEZMO™;37970520 said:
Nintendo fanboys are the worst.

Really? Nintendo fanboys are the worst clique on the internet, when we've just faced down animated furry gender transformation AND anthropomorphic airplanes with jet-engine anuses?

Edit: Good. New Page. The last one though?
odMpP.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom