• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pier Solar OT – the BEST 16-bit RPG you've never played

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I have to go to bad now I'd apreciate if anyone watching the livestream could tell me how many more times do we have to see a restart from (area and what happens next)
the docks, first time got trapped in dungeon, second time died to boss battle (it pulled out a "I'm a low HP now to do a mega attack" strategy), third time died to the boss battle directly before (poison is a deadly thing) :lol It doesn't help the dungeon is really annoying as well (one of those teleport maze type things). It would be fine if you could save but it seemed even back at the start of the dungeon it wasn't letting him
. Their characters about level 23-24 so I don't know if that under for this area or what.

Eric C

Starwolf_UK said:
Since I have to go to bad now I'd apreciate if anyone watching the livestream could tell me how many more times do we have to see a restart from (area and what happens next)
the docks, first time got trapped in dungeon, second time died to boss battle (it pulled out a "I'm a low HP now to do a mega attack" strategy), third time died to the boss battle directly before (poison is a deadly thing) :lol It doesn't help the dungeon is really annoying as well (one of those teleport maze type things). It would be fine if you could save but it seemed even back at the start of the dungeon it wasn't letting him
. Their characters about level 23-24 so I don't know if that under for this area or what.

I'm not watching... Why can't he save?

That's not THAT near the end of the game, but it is pretty far.
And I beat it EASILY under level 30. I think I was at levels 27-29.

hmm.... maybe you can't save in that dungeon. It would be strange because you can save pretty much everywhere else. I got passed that part my first time through it, so I'm not really sure.
I did get lost on those teleports though

What's his battle strategy like? Is he building up the characters gather points? Does he have enough antidotes, and enough stuff to heal himself with?

EDITED to add
WOW I watched it for a bit. It kept crashing firefox when I'd try an comment. But WOW I had my inventory filled with WAY more healing items then him at all times. I was obsessive about healing to full health during boss fights.

Ericsc said:
Are you in the US? a lot of people(like me) in the US reported getting it Friday and Saturday .

Nah, I'm in the UK - I've seen a fair few people from mainland Europe with the game already, so I'm putting it down to the ineptitude of the Royal Mail service :p

Ericsc said:
EDITED to add
WOW I watched it for a bit. It kept crashing firefox when I'd try an comment. But WOW I had my inventory filled with WAY more healing items then him at all times. I was obsessive about healing to full health during boss fights.
I have to say their healing strategy wasn't the best (the actually went into the boss fight with one person at low health both times I watched it :lol ) and that is what kind of ruined them the first time (I was literally thinking to myself "I hope they don't get punished for attacking instead of healing, should have kept a rhythm to match the bosses" *two turns later* *game over*). But sometimes attacking can be good (FFIV final boss stuff)
When Zeromus starts throwing meteor around each turn I usually just attack like crazy as its near the end

This bit is more for people who have used livestream. Why are the last 5 or so hours missing? The good bit is the 5 hours that are up include a good few hours I've not watched.

Eric C

Someone posted a user review. But, I don't think he finished the entire game yet
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9068543

I personally disagree with the bit about "nagging random battles", maybe he's talking about difficulty, not frequency. Because compared to other 16-bit RPGs, Pier Solar's random battle frequency is about average, and nowhere near the worst offenders of the genre. I can walk large sections of the dungeons without getting into battles. But yes if you're lost or trying to solve a puzzle in a dungeon any random battle might be really aggravating.

"In fact, you will notice right away that Hoston, your main character, is incapable of attacking enemies in the air without using magic." WHAT!? Yes, only bow and arrow type weapons can hit enemies in the air, but any character regardless of weapon type can make use of the DEFEND command to counter attack a flying enemy without using MAGIC at all. "Defend" because of it's counter attack is actually very useful to battle strategy in Pier Solar. Also the bit about not holding down "A" in battles like Final Fantasy. If you have a 6 button controller you have battle short cuts.

X - Repeats what you manually selected the previous time
Y - Everybody ATTACKS
Z - Everybody uses MAGIC or ATTACKS

Jazzem said:
The website for this is down...I don't suppose I'm too late to order it? :(

Try again later. You still should be able to purchase it.

EDIT
It looks like now even the reprint that ships in February is sold out. Maybe they'll do another production run.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Looks like they are still taking orders. A coworker mentioned this game to me today after I mentioned The Chrono Trigger fan romhack that got leaked.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Ericsc said:
Someone posted a user review. But, I don't think he finished the entire game yet
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9068543

I personally disagree with the bit about "nagging random battles", maybe he's talking about difficulty, not frequency. Because compared to other 16-bit RPGs, Pier Solar's random battle frequency is about average, and nowhere near the worst offenders of the genre. I can walk large sections of the dungeons without getting into battles. But yes if you're lost or trying to solve a puzzle in a dungeon any random battle might be really aggravating.
Looks to me like he's complaining about the rewards being too small.

That said, although I loved the games back in the day, practically every 16 bit RPGs random battles are nagging to me now, whether they're of average frequency or not. Also a reason I don't replay as many PS1 RPGs as I'd like to.

Finally got my copy yesterday, but haven't had a chance to play it yet as I can't locate the cables for my Megadrive >_<

The packaging is indeed super-nice. I love the manual and the little magazine that comes with the game. Can't wait to get my MD hooked up and put some time into this.

JEKKI

I finally got the cash to pick this up thanks to selling a few games on the ebay,

but apparently the reprint was sold out mid January?? and yet theyre still accepting orders...

do I dare throw $45 to the wind in hopes of receiving random treasure months and months later??

Krelian

JEKKI said:
I finally got the cash to pick this up thanks to selling a few games on the ebay,

but apparently the reprint was sold out mid January?? and yet theyre still accepting orders...

do I dare throw $45 to the wind in hopes of receiving random treasure months and months later??
I wouldn't worry about their trustworthiness. If they're still accepting orders you'll get your game eventually. If all else fails you'll get your money back.

You won't have to wait as long us guys who ordered the first print back in 2009 (or 2008?) and only received their game this year.

tearsofash

If the site is still accepting orders, they are still accepting orders. The first run would disable each region as it sold out, so I wouldn't worry.

I finally got around to playing this the other day. It's fun, but I find myself wondering whether or not the copious amounts of random battles was a good idea.

Just got my first reprint copy today. I hadn't realized they were shipping, but evidently they are... :)

Impressive production quality indeed, with the color manual, poster, stickers, case, and cart all looking great and quite professional... very good work. You have to burn the CD yourself, if you have a Sega CD like I do and want CD audio instead of cart music, but apparently many Sega CD systems were having problems with the pressed CDs anyway and were working with copies, so that's alright. The disc's available for download on the site: http://www.piersolar.com/ps_about_the_game.php

(They have said that as long as they're taking orders, there will eventually be copies sent to those people -- it may take a few months, but eventually it'll show up, as long as you order it while it's in stock, as they make new reprints.)

Clott

I really like the whole concept of making this game, just wished there was actually a way for me to play this game. I have never owned a mega drive.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
A Black Falcon said:
Just got my first reprint copy today. I hadn't realized they were shipping, but evidently they are... :)

Impressive production quality indeed, with the color manual, poster, stickers, case, and cart all looking great and quite professional... very good work. You have to burn the CD yourself, if you have a Sega CD like I do and want CD audio instead of cart music, but apparently many Sega CD systems were having problems with the pressed CDs anyway and were working with copies, so that's alright. The disc's available for download on the site: http://www.piersolar.com/ps_about_the_game.php

(They have said that as long as they're taking orders, there will eventually be copies sent to those people -- it may take a few months, but eventually it'll show up, as long as you order it while it's in stock, as they make new reprints.)

Hmm, I got an email a few weeks ago that they were shipping mine out but still no word :( Think I should email them? How long did you wait for a copy?

JEKKI

hellooooooo~!!!!

I got this game, but my Sega is all the way at my parents' house!! I'll pick it up over the weekend while Im doing the whole mother's day thing...

but I noticed the back of the box says it needs a 6 button controller...

I dont have one of those!!!

should I get one? How does the game play on standard 3 button vs. the 6 button setup??

thanks!!

Emitan

It plays on a 3 button controller. I've put maybe 3 or 4 hours in with a 3 button controller and I've had no issues.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It's a pretty decent game, although a tad derivative so far. I'm not really feeling the music... but it seems like an extremely commendable effort. Extremely reminiscent of the Lunar series, fans of those games would do well to pick this up!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I just stumbled upon this game's existence. How cool that a new Sega Genesis game has been made. I like how the official site links back to GAF's OT, haha.

Speaking of the official site, I can't find a way to give them my money for a hard copy of the game. Anyone know what's up with that? Not even a way to preorder the next reprint?

Danthrax said:
I just stumbled upon this game's existence. How cool that a new Sega Genesis game has been made. I like how the official site links back to GAF's OT, haha.

Speaking of the official site, I can't find a way to give them my money for a hard copy of the game. Anyone know what's up with that? Not even a way to preorder the next reprint?
They've said on the forum (on the official site) that there will be another reprint this year, but yeah, they do seem to have removed the ability to preorder copies of it once it happens. Keep watching the site then, every run so far has sold out...

Pier Solar's about to become available again, they've made more copies. It's not up yet on the site, but shouldn't be too long now I would think until they go on sale on the site ( http://www.piersolar.com/ ). Once it shows up, order a copy if you want one, these print runs all seem to sell out...

Jazzem

Definitely recommend this to anyone with a working Genesis/Mega Drive (preferably modded if PAL), it's unbelievably well made for a homebrew and a great RPG by any standards. It has its flaws but I still really liked it.

Do need to get back to it, plugged about 20 hours into it. Maybe once these assignments get done...

TheMan

I wish they would sell a digital copy of this game with a custom emulator to play it. Seems really stupid that people have to wait so long for copies to be reprinted. Their audience would expand 10 fold.

A Black Falcon said:
They've said on the forum (on the official site) that there will be another reprint this year, but yeah, they do seem to have removed the ability to preorder copies of it once it happens. Keep watching the site then, every run so far has sold out...

I hope they make some nice cash for themselves on the game. That would be cool.

CO_Andy

Playing in composite with this game is absolutely terrible since the graphics are fairly detailed.

No way i'm going back to play this unless they release it on a relevant platform.

Jazzem

CO_Andy said:
Playing in composite with this game is absolutely terrible since the graphics are fairly detailed.

No way i'm going back to play this unless they release it on a relevant platform.

Are you playing on a Genesis? If so I think you might be able to get S-video out of it. The game looks really nice via RGB on my PAL MD (need to try it on the SDTV actually...)

CO_Andy

Jazzem said:
Are you playing on a Genesis? If so I think you might be able to get S-video out of it. The game looks really nice via RGB on my PAL MD (need to try it on the SDTV actually...).
I was. Genesis S-video cables are now non-existent. Getting RGB-->component out of the Genesis seems easy enough, but is a bit expensive.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is really impressive. I can't believe I missed this thread. I wish there was a DD release as the price is above my range but outstanding work on the packaging. This alongside To the Moon are must haves for fans of 16-bit era gaming enthusiasts.

ban25

I have my copy now and I've been enjoying the game. About 3 hours in at this point. The battle system is enjoyable. The battle shortcuts on the 6-button controller are very convenient, I wish some other games had that feature.

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
To anyone that has completed, or nearly completed Pier Solar, would you say it's worth the $56?
It looks like this most recent reprint is sold out, but they'll be back in April. I was looking forward to the reprint but hesitated and missed my chance when I saw the price. $56 is a tough pill to swallow for a Genesis game.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I would seriously buy this if I had some extra money hanging around. I will definitely check this out later on if i remember. :)

Krelian

To anyone that has completed, or nearly completed Pier Solar, would you say it's worth the $56?
It looks like this most recent reprint is sold out, but they'll be back in April. I was looking forward to the reprint but hesitated and missed my chance when I saw the price. $56 is a tough pill to swallow for a Genesis game.
I still haven't completed it, but it's worth the price in my opinion. Also, these "gems" they give you when you register for an account can be used to lower the price of the game. So if you use standard shipping it will only cost you $51.

bon

My copy arrived today. Very nice package. Hopefully I'll find the time to play through this baby soon.

Embryon

Neo Member
Forgive the sorta-necrobump, but after months of planning, we finally have a feature up for Pier Solar over at RPGFan. There's a review, an interview with one of the developers, and a few pictures. Hopefully it answers some of the questions you guys might have about the game!

http://rpgfan.com/news/2012/1704.html

Aeana

I'm finally getting around to playing this, way too late. I'm only about an hour and a half in, but I'm honestly really impressed. I didn't really expect much, since I have had almost zero luck with "indie" RPG productions. But this is really a very polished, interesting and fun game. The music is also better than I expected. There are some balance issues so far, but they're minor and aren't really majorly impacting my performance yet. I've been in the mood for a brand new NES or SNES/Genesis RPG, and this is really hitting the spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom