• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinocchio Frog, Dwarf Wallaby and more! (gallery with new species!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

An expedition to the remote Foja mountains of Papua New Guinea by Conservation International and the National Geographic Society has revealed a host of new species, from a bizarre frog to a new imperial pigeon

003782d29a3.jpg

Pinocchio frog

This tree frog has a long protuberance on its nose. It points upwards when the male is calling, but deflates and points downwards when he is less active.

The frog is thought to be a member of the Litoria genus, also known as Australasian tree frogs. It joins around 150 other known species.

(Image: Tim Laman/National Geographic)

003787e727b.jpg

Dwarf wallaby

This is the smallest species of kangaroo yet to be found in the wild.

The animal is a lesser forest wallaby (Dorcopsulus), one of only three such species known to exist.

00378c40334.jpg

Imperial pigeon

These birds were spotted on four occasions during the expedition, but had never been seen before – suggesting that there are not many of them.

They are a new species of imperial pigeon (Ducula), distinguished by their rusty, whitish and grey feathers.

(Image: Neville Kemp)

003786e6ece.jpg

Tree mouse

This is almost certainly a new species of tree mouse (Pogonomys).

These animals are found only in Indonesia, New Guinea and Australia.

"The Foja mountains are a virtual island where species have evolved for millennia," said John Francis of National Geographic.

003784c2192.jpg

Blossom bat

This bat is also a new species, joining the small Syconycteris genus.

It feeds on nectar from rainforest flowers.

00378719fdd.jpg

Bow-fingered gecko

Last but not least, this is a new species of bow-fingered gecko (Cyrtodactylus).

Geckos are famous for their remarkable ability to climb up slippery walls, using their tails to recover if they fall off.

(Image: Tim Laman / National Geographic)

Gallery Here

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Cuuuute. I love these threads. That pigeon is beautiful.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
abstract alien said:
Don't get me wrong, they are all awesome and adorable(even the bat...yeah), but that pigeon is beyond gorgeous...
Now that is a flying rat I can approve.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm a big fan of these threads, Gaborno, big ups.

The mini wallaby and the cute bat thing are my favorites.

tafer

Cute animals all around, but I was expecting some sort of original (crazy/weird) looking animal... I guess nature is running out of ideas.

Bob Loblaw said:

You should feel bad about yourself, and the kind of threads you read.

Gaborn

xelios said:
Cuuuute. I love these threads. That pigeon is beautiful.

Snuggler said:
I'm a big fan of these threads, Gaborno, big ups.

The mini wallaby and the cute bat thing are my favorites.

I'm glad you two are fans of these threads, they're a little more effort than the average news story but I think they're one of my favorite set of threads too :D

Topher said:
The most important question is: how do they taste?
:lol yeah, each time one of these "new species" thread is posted, the first thing that comes to mind is MGS3's Naked Snake wondering what they taste like. :lol

:) they're super cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom