• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixeljunk 1-6 page appears (Platform: Steam)

Pranay

Assuming you're correct, XBLA has been on a similar down-trend. I think there might be a sort of end-of-generational fatigue setting in, where people aren't "sampling" random games anymore. Super smash hits are still doing well (like Minecraft, Trials, etc) but the average game being released is just cratering.

So I guess the real question is how does Steam avoid it, having an even bigger library than either, and how do Sony/MS improve their fortunes as the next generation launches? (Or do they just cut PSN/XBLA loose and start from scratch?)

Steam Sales and indie collection sales tend to help a lot i believe on steam.

Regarding on PSN, just like Xbla Big games are doing well and on psn, Sony publshed games are getting more headlines then other random games coming up.

I dont think PSN sales are bad as kenshin is making out to be like others have said, since a lot of developers on twitter have been happy with the sales they made on psn this year.
Also derrick the deathfun wasnt that a good game either
Some mini have also sold 100k each. PS+ helps a lot.

But i think some good sales and good bundles can help as well. DD prices can be better.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Sup people!

John here. I do all of the Q-Games social stuff and community shenanigans. I just wanted to jump in to clarify a few things.

As Dylan said, PixelJunk 1-6 isn't a referendum on PSN, or Sony, or anything like that. Developing 1-6 for the PC just offers us different opportunities than leading off on PSN would. I don't know if you guys follow us on Twitter (hint, hint - follow us on Twitter! @PixelJunkNews) but I've been addressing the same concerns you all are mentioning here through tweets today.

The PC, or Steam specifically, gives us flexibility to try different things during development. Like our dev blog, for example. We're essentially inviting the whole world into our weekly development meetings. It also gives us options such as early alpha or beta access, quickly updating the game, quick price changes, etc.

These are all things we could do on PSN, don't get me wrong. But with the nature of this project, it just feels like a better fit to go the PC route. We don't have a hard-line stance against the consoles, by any means. If 1-6 sells gangbusters on PC, we'll definitely have a lot of incentive to look at PSN.

We'd love to have all of the PixelJunk games on as many platforms as possible, honestly. But we're a small, independent studio, and the 1-6 team is only made up of four hardworking guys.

For all of the folks who are PixelJunk fans, we're just hoping that you cheer us on here, regardless of the platform. We want to continue making interesting games and not hop on the latest trend or start suffering from sequel/port-itis. Even if you aren't in love with all of our games, we hope you can respect that. With your help, I'm sure can help make PixelJunk 1-6 a huge hit and we can continue bringing awesome games to gamers.

Cuz it's about the games, right? ;-)

Thanks for checking in. Definitely interested in seeing how the project shapes up.

It's sad that it appears people are more fans of their chosen platform than of the games themselves.

Assuming you're correct, XBLA has been on a similar down-trend. I think there might be a sort of end-of-generational fatigue setting in, where people aren't "sampling" random games anymore. Super smash hits are still doing well (like Minecraft, Trials, etc) but the average game being released is just cratering.

So I guess the real question is how does Steam avoid it, having an even bigger library than either, and how do Sony/MS improve their fortunes as the next generation launches? (Or do they just cut PSN/XBLA loose and start from scratch?)

I don't think I was correct about PixelJunk. Apparently PixelJunk Shooter 2 was the best selling Sony published downloadable 3rd party game for 2011, but without actual figures that is kind of meaningless. Maybe Dylan can chip in on that.

Steam Sales and indie collection sales tend to help a lot i believe on steam.

Regarding on PSN, just like Xbla Big games are doing well and on psn, Sony publshed games are getting more headlines then other random games coming up.

I dont think PSN sales are bad as kenshin is making out to be like others have said, since a lot of developers on twitter have been happy with the sales they made on psn this year.
Also derrick the deathfun wasnt that a good game either
Some mini have also sold 100k each. PS+ helps a lot.

But i think some good sales and good bundles can help as well. DD prices can be better.

Well it doesn't help that Sony are so secretive about everything.

Closure's dev said sales on PSN were dire. I don't think Derrick the Deathfin's sales were related to its quality as a lot of people buy utter crap. I think the marketing just isn't there, a lot of PSN games are self published and the promotion is left to the devs. PS+ does not equal sales. I got Machinarium with the PS+ I scored on twitter and didn't pay a cent.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thanks for checking in. Definitely interested in seeing how the project shapes up.

It's sad that it appears people are more fans of their chosen platform than of the games themselves.

The good thing is that the game doesn't look like it will require high end rigs so people complaining can support them on PC since they will likely have native pad support alongside the usual PC benefits. Being on Steam is also a huge plus with Steamworks support likely in.

Pranay

Well it doesn't help that Sony are so secretive about everything.

Closure's dev said sales on PSN were dire. I don't think Derrick the Deathfin's sales were related to its quality as a lot of people buy utter crap. I think the marketing just isn't there, a lot of PSN games are self published and the promotion is left to the devs. PS+ does not equal sales. I got Machinarium with the PS+ I scored on twitter and didn't pay a cent.

Mosts DD Service dont release their numbers.
Sony has said that this year has been the best for them on psn
Laughing Jackals have revealed their numbers and 10 games together did a million [9 minis and one psn game]

While i agree PS + doesnt equal to sales , they do however get money from it.
I remember a dev in Hell Yeah Rabit thread telling how it works.

With Plus and Sony focus on DD, more and more are visiting the stores and going to blogs as well.

Mosts DD Service dont release their numbers.
Sony has said that this year has been the best for them on psn
Laughing Jackals have revealed their numbers and 10 games together did a million [9 minis and one psn game]

While i agree PS + doesnt equal to sales , they do however get money from it.
I remember a dev in Hell Yeah Rabit thread telling how it works.

With Plus and Sony focus on DD, more and more are visiting the stores and going to blogs as well.

We know numbers for a lot of DD games either through PR or leaderboards, just not Sony games. Laughing Jackal's games were given away on PS+, they had 1 million downloads, not sales.

Sony can say what they like about this year being good, but some of the devs are telling a different story.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't know what this is, but I want it.

Day 1.

Pretty much. It could be PixelJunk: Try Not to Fart and I would still be down.

I'm not too surprised to see it launch as a Steam-exclusive since I would definitely prefer that over PSN if I was an indie developer, but based on vague comments by Dylan, it sounded like Eden wasn't selling too hot on Steam(prior to indie bundles, though). It would be ideal to see the game release on everything so everyone could play it, but if it had to be exclusive to something, PC as always is the way to go. It sucks for all the PJ fans who don't own a PC, but hopefully people won't give this game the cold shoulder just because it's not playable on the electronic box they have an irrational emotional attachment to.

Day one. They totally deserve it for the fact that Eden is not a lazy port. Controls are perfect etc.
They must have figured out that Steam is a more fertile platform for their games. Makes total sense. Sorry PSN, good luck with those prices though.
Agreed, I'm kind of shocked given that Eden seemed to struggle on Steam initially, perhaps the indie bundle really helped it. A really great port and I appreciate them adding controller support back in. Game looks fun, definitely keeping my eye on it.
Pretty much. It could be PixelJunk: Try Not to Fart and I would still be down.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/540127

Sony and MS can't hope to compete with the PC as long as their digital platforms remain the ghetto-ized afterthoughts they are. Sony at least seems to be looking forward with how they've made Vita games 100% available digitally, but as it stands now, the PC seems like a much more attractive target platform for smaller and independent titles.

Corto

Day one. And will double or triple dip on whatever additional platforms it releases in the future if that happens. As I've done with every pixeljunk game before.

HoosTrax

Color me interested. I didn't know what to make of Eden based off screenshots, but it's pretty absorbing the same way Osmos is. I hit a wall at the gravity shift garden though. I still think they should have done their Steam debut with a more mainstream-oriented title from their catalog though.

Top Bottom