• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum/Sega extend their publishing deal

Dali

a Master Ninja said:
Platinum Games is responsible for the only good game created this generation that has a SEGA logo on the box.
Sonic_2006_box_art1.png

Am I doing it right gaiz?

Dali

MadOdorMachine said:
Bayonetta's cool, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed Kamiya will make a Shinobi game.
That'd be cool. You know what else would be cool? If Mikami made a spiritual successor to God Hand.

MadOdorMachine said:
Bayonetta's cool, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed Kamiya will make a Shinobi game.

A spin-off with a character that plays differently would be nice too; if they feel like using the same world but don't necessarily want to use the same combat system.

TEJ

a Master Ninja said:
Platinum Games is responsible for the only good game created this generation that has a SEGA logo on the box.

condemned criminal origins, motherfucker.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If you take out their Sonic games, Sega has had a superb generation. Yakuza, Valkyria, Virtua Fighter, the Platinum games, Resonance of Fate, Condemned, and more.

Well, I can't forgive them for the Conduit. But everyone piles on them like it's 2006 :)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
MadOdorMachine said:
It would be more amusing if Sega got Itagaki to do that. ;)

Dali

Fimbulvetr said:
A spin-off with a character that plays differently would be nice too; if they feel like using the same world but don't necessarily want to use the same combat system.
This sounds like a good idea too. Maybe have the main protag an oddball ninja from the Oboro clan; One that doesn't use a weapon but rather fights barehanded. Barehanded using the power of his right arm arm that has been imbued with the powers of a deity. A Kami Arm if you will. That sounds like a pretty neat title too: Kami Arm.

Dali said:
This sounds like a good idea too. Maybe have the main protag an oddball ninja from the Oboro clan; One that doesn't use a weapon but rather fights barehanded. Barehanded using the power of his right arm arm that has been imbued with the powers of a deity. A Kami Arm if you will. That sounds like a pretty neat title too: Kami Arm.

What if his rival had the Oni Arm? That would be pretty badass.

ShadiWulf

a Master Ninja said:
Valkyria Chronicles 1, VC2
Virtua Fighter 5, VF5R, VF5:Final Showdown
Phantasy Star Portable 2
Yakuza Kenzan, Y3, Y4,
OutRun 2: Online Arcade
After Burner Climax
Sonic Rush 1,2
Condemned 1, 2
7th Dragon
Medieval 2, Empires, Napoleon: Total War
Puyo Pop Fever 2, Puyo Pop 15th Anniversary
Virtua Tennis 3, Virtua Tennis World Tour
Project Rub
Phantasy Star: Zero
MadWorld
Sonic & Sega All-Star Racing
Crush
Sega Race TV
The House of the Dead 4
The House of the Dead: Overkill
Football Manager 07,08,09,2010,2011
Football Manager: Live
(Sonics) Ultimate Genesis/Megadrive Collection
Border Break, BB:Air Burst
Quest of D, QoD2
Sega Rally3
Sega Race Classic (Daytona)
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva, Project Diva 2
Ghost Squad, GS:Evolution

Off the top of my head, I’m sure I’m missing quite a few. They might not all be your bag, they aren’t all mine… But they are generally considered good to great games.

I hoped after this really great TGS from Sega we could stop this ‘Sega Sux’ nonsense.

Corto

Great move for Sega! Now let the Platinum guys do whatever they want to do, give them enough latitude to create what they want, sequels, original IPs, whatever. The greatness will follow.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
ShadiWulf said:
I hoped after this really great TGS from Sega we could stop this ‘Sega Sux’ nonsense.

SEGA is great publisher and developer this gen ( way better than last gen ) , I think it's just Sonic Team and their games that gave SEGA this bad reputation nowdays.

Trojan X

Banned
ShadiWulf said:
Valkyria Chronicles 1, VC2
Virtua Fighter 5, VF5R, VF5:Final Showdown
Phantasy Star Portable 2
Yakuza Kenzan, Y3, Y4,
After Burner Climax
Sonic Rush 1,2
Condemned 1, 2
7th Dragon
Project Rub
MadWorld
Crush
Sega Race TV
The House of the Dead 4
Quest of D, QoD2
Sega Rally3

Off the top of my head, I’m sure I’m missing quite a few. They might not all be your bag, they aren’t all mine… But they are generally considered good to great games.

I probably loved SEGA more than the next man but let me shed some light on this... list:

Virtua Fighter 5
We received a nice skeleton version of VF5 (The Xbox version wasn't even the full Version C). The game weren't packed like VF4 Evolution.

VF5R, VF5:Final Showdown
They are not released here so they do not count. Also, why do we have to sign a pertition to SEGA just so we can get these game? Pathetic x 2.

Phantasy Star Portable 2
Cool.

Yakuza Kenzan
Only out in Japan so it does not count.

Y3, Y4
Cool. We know they are coming but it's bad for it to be a year late from Japan. Pathetic.

After Burner Climax

After Burner Climax needed too much convincing for a port though it was nice that we got it in the end. Outrun 2 was a stripped version from the original Xbox game.

Sonic Rush 1,2
Too old so does not count.

Condemned 1, 2
.... Again, too old.

7th Dragon
Hmm... Not sure about this one.

Brought by SEGA so... hmm.

Cool. Its sad that hardly anyone knows about these games though.

Great games but the marketing behind them was awful! How can they release this game AFTER Wimbledon, an event that REALLY counted?

Project Rub
Yes. I like! :)

Yes!

MadWorld
This is a Platinum Games' game so it doesn't count.

Good game! My friend from SONIC TEAM really saved this title from becoming a disaster.

Crush
Yeah, this is cool!

Sega Race TV
The House of the Dead 4

These are Arcades games so they don't count. Well done, Sega. :( Where's our LOST WORLD, SCUD RACE and DAYTONA 2 too?

This is... so so. NOthing like House of the Dead 4.

I'm not a Football Manager fan so I hope these are more than good.

Oh hell no. This doesn't even qualify nor worthy to be released.

This is a Japanese arcade so it does not count.

Quest of D, QoD2
Not at home so it doesn't count.

Sega Rally3
Good attempt but this is not the true SEGA RALLY 3.

Does not count as this is an Arcade game only.

This doesn't touch OUENDAN 1 & 2.

These games are so-so and doesn't touch Virtua Cop 3.

So basically, you can tell the following things from this list: (1) SEGA doesn't not care enough about the West. (2) SEGA West is not doing a great job. (3) SEGA does not listen nor respect the fans enough - unlike other publishers - so it's no wonder their fanbase has demised so much. (4) SEGA got the best selection of Arcade games and IPs out there but they don't know how to sell them nor give it the true home treatment.

I really hope SEGA wakes up and really deliver by making the right decisions because, so far, the right decisions they make are so few and far in-between.

AngelComa

Banned
This is a great call in SEGA's part. I know that SEGA has had bad luck in a lot of their publishing deals, they still brought some good stuff to the table in my opinion. I really liked Condemned Series, House of the Dead: Overkill and of course the Platinum Games.

I just wish they would team up with Headstrong for another game as well. That should be epic.

Platinum Games, I want Bayonetta 2 :D

ZoddGutts

a Master Ninja said:
Do you think we've seen the last of the MadWorld franchise? I'm not expecting a MadWorld 2 on Wii for obvious reasons, but do you think any aspect of the property is worth hanging on to?

There probably done developing games for the Wii, the hardcore audience just isn't there. Anyways good news for Platinum Games, here's hoping they stay open longer than Clover Studio ever did.

Bayo 2 or a Shinobi game would be great. :D

Ramenman said:
Seriously. This isn't even jumping at this point. It's like, flying or something.

I don't know, based on Kamiya's comments from his twitter (and the timing of them), I think another Bayonetta is plausible. A Vanquish sequel is out there right now, though.

Arnie

chrome_hounds.jpg

I never played the game myself but I was under the impression this was a gem of a title for mech fans, especially considering the strides it made in the online arena at the time, not surprising given From's more recent attempts with Demon Soul's. From are a very talented set of guys.

AngelComa

Banned
Roto13 said:
Sega owns all of Platinum's IPs. I asked Kamiya today and he said they did. :p
Yeah, it was said when SEGA announced their partnership way back in the 08's, that they would own the IPs.

I'm glad they have not announced Bayonetta 2 for PSP.

TreIII

Excellent news! Thankfully, once every blue moon, Sega CAN make a smart decision. :lol

Now to start waiting for whatever Kamiya is talking about when he says he is working on "something wonderful". :D :D

Dali said:
That'd be cool. You know what else would be cool? If Mikami made a spiritual successor to God Hand.

If he did, it wouldn't be with P* any way. Vanquish will be his last game with his old ex-Production Studio 4/Clover Studios family, before he and a couple of his own homies from his old freelance group will be starting a new studio in Osaka.

Sad to see him go, but then again, maybe for the sake of spurning more growth in the industry, it's for the best.

Dali

TreIII said:
Excellent news! Thankfully, once every blue moon, Sega CAN make a smart decision. :lol

Now to start waiting for whatever Kamiya is talking about when he says he is working on "something wonderful". :D :D

If he did, it wouldn't be with P* any way. Vanquish will be his last game with his old ex-Production Studio 4/Clover Studios family, before he and a couple of his own homies from his old freelance group will be starting a new studio in Osaka.

Sad to see him go, but then again, maybe for the sake of spurning more growth in the industry, it's for the best.
Platinum, Clover, Poopie Pants Inc. who he's working for doesn't matter to me.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
XiaNaphryz said:
It would be more amusing if Sega got Itagaki to do that. ;)
I wouldn't mind that either. I'd like a complete reboot though. Either one of them would be great for it. I was glad to see them together at TGS. I was under the impression they didn't like each other.

TreIII

Dali said:
Platinum, Clover, Poopie Pants Inc. who he's working for doesn't matter to me.

On the other hand, I do think that the people he surrounds himself WILL matter.

Yes, God Hand and RE4 were both Mikami's brain children, but it was Yusuke Hashimoto and his team (who would then go on to work with Kamiya again for Bayonetta, just like they did for DMC1) who actually did the most to actually make those games as memorable and fun as they were. And I'm sure similar things could be said for a number of other games in Mikami's resume that put him on the map.

At this point, it's any one's guess exactly who will roll with Mikami after this last transfer is done. But it's definitely not going to be quite the same, without a number of the people who helped Mikami's games be as great as they were. I hope he's got the right kind of people around...

TreIII said:
Yes, God Hand and RE4 were both Mikami's brain children, but it was Yusuke Hashimoto and his team (who would then go on to work with Kamiya again for Bayonetta, just like they did for DMC1) who actually did the most to actually make those games as memorable and fun as they were.

Not to mention the guy who designed the combat for DMC1, RE4, God Hand, and Bayonetta is still with P*.

Yoboman

I was kind of hoping they'd strike up with Capcom again one day

I don't think Sega are giving these guys the budgets they need, their technical prowess seems quite limited compared to last gen when they were Clover

Yoboman said:

I don't think Sega are giving these guys the budgets they need, their technical prowess seems quite limited compared to last gen when they were Clover
But Capcom, the guys that closed Clover, are going to give them more?

Yoboman said:

Giving those guys the budget they wanted (read: not needed) was the whole reason Clover self-destructed in the first place.

Yoboman

Segata Sanshiro said:
But Capcom, the guys that closed Clover, are going to give them more?
There's always the hope that Capcom realised they were stupid and that they have no talent left :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Yoboman said:

You know, the smaller budget could be better for the studio and they may actually prefer it. They don't need massive successes then and they can keep producing more original titles.

Sega actually seems to be one of the few publishers who will continue to support a title, as long as it was a mild success.

AngelComa

Banned
Trojan X said:
*TrojanX quote here*

I agree Sega still makes bad decisions related too marketing and Sega of American are a bit crap. But this does not mean they have not put out anything good outside of Platinum Games'.

To argue a couple of your points.

-While I understand some people cannot play some of their Arcade games and that is frustrating they are still very good games and let’s not forget that Sega was first and foremost an Arcade company.

-I’ve heard some rumours on VF:DC of VF5:FS coming to console, I suspect it will happen. Let’s put this into perspective the company wants to make money from their Arcade business before they make this game readily available on a home console. Patients is a virtue!

-Both Condemned games were released in this generation on Xbox360, PC.

-Sure the Creative Assembly (Total War) was bought by Sega but a lot of development teams of some of the best companies we’re originally bought 3rd party companies. Why does this rule only seem to apply to Sega. Never got this one.

-What is wrong with the Megadrive collection? That is 40+ awesome games in one. I think it is one of the best value for money collections ever?

I think bottom line for me is this, Sega make a lot of silly mistakes business wise… Always have, even in their heyday! But I would argue until I’m blue in the face about them not being a good developer this gen.

Dali

Yoboman said:
There's always the hope that Capcom realised they were stupid and that they have no talent left :lol
Why do they need in-house talent when they can buy the services of grade-A developers like Ninja Theory?

TreIII

shintoki said:
You know, the smaller budget could be better for the studio and they may actually prefer it. They don't need massive successes then and they can keep producing more original titles.

Sega actually seems to be one of the few publishers who will continue to support a title, as long as it was a mild success.

Exactly. Besides, everything seems to point to the notion that Inaba and his crew are enjoying the relative freedom they have away from Capcom, so I think it's all good. They've certainly made out better than some others who have left Capcom, definitely (*looks to the likes of Arika*).

But in any case, I think it's a continued arrangement that serves Sega and P* alike well. I mean, Bayonetta may have become some what of a new and exciting sensation amongst her fans and belivers, but she's nowhere near the kind of property that could just as easily be ripped away from her original makers, tossed to some in-house developer or another, outsourced studio and expect to get the results from last time or better. That would just as quickly shut the book on another possible cash cow, and I doubt Sega wants that.

So, I'm thinking Sega sees the value of keeping P* on board, even if it is just for the sake of another Bayonetta some time in the near future. I would think that would be an arrangement that would work fine for everyone involved, including the fans.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
a Shinobi game would be great.

Yes! I wanted to believe the HipHopGamer Shinobi PS3-built-off-Bayonetta-code made-up rumour so badly, and now at least I can stretch it out for another couple of years.

1 SPU for 60fps, the other 6 on Hotsuma's scarf.

a Master Ninja said:

That's just because the goddamn Sega won't release it's more recent arcade ports on discs.

Top Bottom