• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

XD Holy shit, that video was actually funny. Eee, now I'm really hyped for their event.

Oh, and damn you next 6 weeks (shakes fists)! Just... go away.

The_Lump

Banned
This is the thing I was talking about in regards to image. E3 is no longer about game reveals or hands-on demos, since they're confirmed to be happening. It's all about image :/

But image to who? The only people who benefit from a big swanky press event are, well, the press. What does it matter to the average consumer? For that matter what does it really matter to the press? The information is still all there for them to report on, it's just more readily available to the average joe who isn't lucky enough to attend E3 as well and they don't get a plush goody bag at the en.....oh I see.

The live updates from the show floor are the most appealing part to me, anyhow. Sounds like there will be a tonne of coverage and that's whats important to my E3 experience.

What are the implications of a a digital event for a Zelda U reveal?

Will be exactly the same as any other Zelda reveal for 99% of us.

My assumption:
Imagine a Nintendo Direct, but built around more live content and a demo of the new Zelda presented by Aonuma. Except instead of him standing nervously on a stage somewhere giving a speech peppered with awkward silences from the watching press, he'll be standing slightly less nervously in a corridor in Nintendo HQ, holding a Master Sword replica and cracking jokes to an invisible audience. Or something like that.

javac

Nintendo doesn't get it. E3 is the pre conference shows. Having booths at E3 is pointless without a pre conference show. Might as well not attend E3 at all since they will generate absolutely little awareness from the event now.

You need journalists on your side and the way to do that is having a kick as press conference.

Nintendo's show floor was probably the most busiest last year and the most well received. People aren't as stupid as you make them out to be. They don't need a pre conference to direct them to the massive Kiosks they have out with the massive Mario and Zelda signs all over.

Chairhome

RE: press conferences vs livestreams: didn't some of the announcements from sony/ms come out in USA Today before the actual event? And a press kit (photos, videos, info) is always released anyway, so how could not having an event give Nintendo less coverage? I think the only way that happens is if the particular press outlet decides not to give it coverage. As a non-journalist, I would think it would be preferable (for journalists) during such a busy time to be able to take a breather and not shuffle over to a different venue for a press conference.

iMax

Just watched the video. I guess Reggie Fils-A-Mech accidentally went for Plan B "Do a Nintendo Direct instead".

mclem

You need journalists on your side and the way to do that is having a kick as press conference.

Hey, why not give them a goody bag containing a free 3DS and Wii U as they leave! They'll be onside then!

Isn't this kind of the very thing we rail against elsewhere?

Chindogg

Nintendo's show floor was probably the most busiest last year and the most well received. People aren't as stupid as you make them out to be. They don't need a pre conference to direct them to the massive Kiosks they have out with the massive Mario and Zelda signs all over.

Don't bother, Dragonsworne gonna Dragonsworne.

jacksrb

A huge stupid grin all over my face as I watched that. This is my first E3 as a multi-console owner (XB1), but Nintendo will always have my heart.

Two things:
1 - the stream damn well better work tons better than last year
2 - the live demos from the Tree House is the best part of this announcement - those guys/gals are rad

Nintendo doesn't get it. E3 is the pre conference shows. Having booths at E3 is pointless without a pre conference show. Might as well not attend E3 at all since they will generate absolutely little awareness from the event now.

Haha what? They had a closed press testing area open around the same time the stream was up last year. It's not like the press isn't there.

Effect

You know I meant press conference.

You need to be very clear when you talk like that then. That is what happen last year. Nintendo was completely clear that they would be at E3 as always (booths, demos, etc as usual) but simply weren't doing a live stage show in favor of a Nintendo Direct. They instead were having other live events for the media. Many gaming outlets, that read the same press release that we did, turned around and said Nintendo was skipping E3. Even when they were told they were having a special event just for them! There is a history here of people just purposefully distorting what Nintendo says into something else.

Scrawnton

Better than last year, but this guarantees no platform annuncements, and guarantees no media will be hyped. Honestly what were they going to do against VR hype? Even playable new Zelda couldnt overcome that.

Sony would be wasting everyone's time showing vr at e3 since it won't be ready Til fall 2015 at the earliest.

Mdk7

Awesome video, very sorry for the lack of live show (i'll be lucky enough to be there, don't like to be there to watch a video quite frankly).

Sadist

It's about image and recognition in the media...
And that's a load of bull really.

Like the press conferences, everyone looking for Nintendo news will get this Digital Event thrown in their face multiple times. I reckon the media will get to see the same video themselves (or get a briefing, like last year) and they will almost immediately get to play the newest builds of known games and get their hands on newly announced games.

It's the same thing, really.

Haha what? They had a closed press testing area open around the same time the stream was up last year. It's not like the press isn't there.

This. The only difference is they didn't rent out a huge conference hall. Press saw the same materials as us, just weren't allowed to record it. They were then given an exclusive Q and A session afterwards.

If they do reveal Zelda U I wanted it to be on stage. :(

This is exactly why I thought they would have an E3 conference. No game in Nintendo's library really hits those that attend E3 like Zelda. So, it's surprising that they aren't taking advantage of that.

With that said, for me personally i'm not bothered by it. I greatly prefer the structure of Direct over a typical E3 conference. It's just game after game without any of the bullshit in between.

Cool to get info but

New games and announcements, June 10 at 9PM PST. It'll be similar to last year's presentation (no live conference).

Meh sad to see Nintendo no longer hold a live conference but I guess it works

Ridley327

So this is really unpredictable huh? It could't be a 3DS revision either since there are already 3 different models of the thing. Maybe it could be a tease for the next handheld that uses that New Nintendo OS.

Unpredictable isn't a correct term to use, I think. They've given a heads up the year that a new system is announced, usually about 3-4 months before E3. If it was a completely new system, we would have heard about it by now. Revisions have been a lot more immediate, especially with last year's out-of-nowhere 2DS announcement.

I think the 3DS is less likely to receive some kind of revision than the Wii U is, and truth be told, I'm not even sure if there's really any additional move that Nintendo can make with the hardware that could be seen as significant enough to be on the same scale as the XL or the 2DS. The normal 3DS seems to be in the process of being quietly phased out, but I think it's more likely that they're trying to position the 2DS as its replacement, rather than coming out with a 3DSi.

bumpkin

A huge stupid grin all over my face as I watched that. This is my first E3 as a multi-console owner (XB1), but Nintendo will always have my heart.

Two things:
1 - the stream damn well better work tons better than last year
2 - the live demos from the Tree House is the best part of this announcement - those guys/gals are rad
The straight-up truth for me too and I've had pretty much every console the past few gens.

Question to naysayers.

Lets say that the concept of a press conference does not exist.
Would you say that the approach Nintendo is following is still bad?I have the feeling that they are trying a new fresh way, an all inclusive one, that stands out..in a way, at least!:)

iMax

Did we? I assumed it was because they wanted to be more inclusive to a worldwide audience...you know..release a video in every language worldwide so everyone can enjoy it at the same time......as opposed to limit it to those who can only speak English.

Umm yeah, a bunch of people did.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...pping-major-press-conference-at-e3-this-year/
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/25/igns-take-on-nintendo-skipping-e3-press-conference
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...kipping-out-on-e3-press-conference-this-year/

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't think Nintendo ever hyped E3 this much before "This is the one you've been waiting for." Something big must be coming.

This is exactly why I thought they would have an E3 conference. No game in Nintendo's library really hits those that attend E3 like Zelda. So, it's surprising that they aren't taking advantage of that.

Maybe you missed the disaster that was Miyamoto live demoing Skyward Sword on stage? I doubt the new zelda game will go back to "traditional" controls and the only other solution is to 100% bullshit it like Microsoft does with Kinect games... which is a bad idea.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Aw man. Now Nintendo will only get a C+ on the Bonus Round Round Up because they didn't give out free swag at a live conference.

thefro

They should just edit in crowd noise or something during the "digital event" and have silhouettes in front of the stage. Maybe a live twitter feed of people freaking out too.

It already seems like they're going to much greater lengths to promote their stream this year. If they keep it up, I'd imagine only those who blatantly ignore Nintendo news wouldn't know about it.

Buggy Loop

Better than last year, but this guarantees no platform annuncements, and guarantees no media will be hyped. Honestly what were they going to do against VR hype? Even playable new Zelda couldnt overcome that.

Who expected nintendo VR at this E3? Nobody. Changes nothing. VR is a neat tech hype, but it wont change the fact that a new Zelda, maybe a new metroid, X, Bayonneta 2, etc will blow off our mind.

Scrawnton

Maybe you missed the disaster that was Miyamoto live demoing Skyward Sword on stage? I doubt the new zelda game will go back to "traditional" controls and the only other solution is to 100% bullshit it like Microsoft does with Kinect games... which is a bad idea.

Zelda Wii U will go back to physical controlls. It has to with the gamepad.

To all the people missing a stage: They are in the Nokia theatre. Do you really think they won't show it there? Maybe even with moderation. There you have your audience, your trailers and your moderation.

Lunar15

I don't think Nintendo ever hyped E3 this much before "This is the one you've been waiting for." Something big must be coming.

Do you think he would have said "Nah, the one you're waiting for is the next one."?

Not saying it's not going to have some great stuff, but this kind of over thinking his how we get the "DAMMIT SO DISAPPOINTING" posts after every direct.

Top Bottom