• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Player's that don't use mics in MP centric games ruin them

I think for games like Overwatch, CoD, Battlefield, etc all should have team/squad chat on by default and you have to go out of your way to turn it off. It should lock you out of console party chat until you change an in-game setting or something. That way if someone is being a toxic jackass then you can still mute them if needed, but team/sqaud chat needs to be set to default. These are team based games and need to be treated as such when it comes to chat. If you don't want to chat or are playing solo then you have to go into game settings and set the chat up for it otherwise you are listening to entire team and/or squad. That is how should have been and needs to be set up. I've met some great friends through team chat and now everyone has turned into antisocial little bitches- you all have to communicate in the real world including your fucking jobs.

I have a headset... but I never really use it. Only when I play with friends.

Most of my gaming is done after my kid goes to bed, so I'm trying to be quiet. That means no mics.

Luckily, they're rarely used in Battlefield 1 and that's what I play the most.

creatchee

The two are nothing alike.

If someone posted something like you typically hear in your typical open chat on GAF, the moderation would ban them instantly. It's not like GAF is the soundtrack for another game that we're playing, this is a forum. We come here specifically to read the posts.

Also, it's not like I "can't handle" hearing open chat, that would imply that it's a deficiency on my part, and it isn't. It's simply that I don't want to hear open chat.

Your snark is both unnecessary and easily proven false.

It's not that I can't handle it, it's that I don't want to bother with bigoted dicks. Why would I want to subject myself to listening to that trash? GAF is the only forum I use and most people get banned for saying the sort of thing found on voice chat all the time. And if I find someone on GAF who says mean stuff like that, then yeah I'll put them on my ignore list.

Let's approach this from a different angle:

SCENARIO A
1. Players hears people on chat saying things they don't want to hear
2. Some of those players turn off voice communication completely
3. Non-vitriolic players with mics cannot communicate with those deaf and mute players
4. Non-vitriolic players with mics get either "deal with it" or find a full party to talk to if they want to play the game as it was designed to be played

SCENARIO B
2. Some of those players mute ONLY the offending people on chat.
3. Those players also report the offending people to Steam, Xbox Live, PSN, and the developers for violating TOS
4. Non-vitriolic players with mics can still communicate with those players who only mute the bad communicators
5. Target muters and non-vitriolic players alike with mics can both play the game as it was designed to be played
6. Through communications and complete bans from reporting, less people will potentially have to deal with vitriolic players in the future

SCENARIO C
3. Non-vitriolic players with mics cannot communicate with those deaf and mute players
4. Non-vitriolic players with mics either "deal with it" or find a full party to talk to if they want to play the game as it was designed to be played
5. Non-vitriolic players with mics say "fuck that" and start campaigns to add communications as a matchmaking factor.
6. Non-mic players get grouped together to enjoy silence together and play the game how they want to play it
7. Vitriolic players lose their mic privileges and get put into the Non-mic group because who cares how they want to play
8. Non-vitriolic players with mics get to play the game as it was designed to be played

Scenario A is the current model. Non-mic people like it because they sacrifice nothing at the expense of others i.e. people who want to communicate for teamwork purposes. Mic users who want to play Competitive games properly instead get stuck with deaf mutes and racists in every game (I can haz hyperbole too)

Scenario B is a compromise model. Both current non mic users and mic users work together to mute and report the vitriolic people and make online gaming a better place where good communications are not just a possibility, but a likelihood.

Scenario C is what could happen when people who want to communicate get fed up with the current model and decide that being told to sacrifice and deal with it isn't cutting it for us anymore. Sure, it might not work, but then again, it might.

Also, to all the "omg how could you say that vitriolic people should be lumped with the non mic users?" Guess what? YOU'RE ALREADY PLAYING WITH THEM. You've made it a point to say how every game you've ever played had horrible people in it, well, we believe you now. So if your mics are off now and you have no problem playing with them, you should have no problems being grouped with them specifically later. You can't hear or talk to them anyway, so who cares?

Darkwater

As others have said, it's rarer in Europe to use voip. Still, it's a safe bet people understand English and it would be better to use it than to not.

A mic should be required for games like Overwatch and Rainbow Six Siege on console to even begin matchmaking and then have forced team chat. Party chat is ruining these types of games.

Lady Gaia

A mic should be required for games like Overwatch and Rainbow Six Siege on console to even begin matchmaking and then have forced team chat.

Do you think somehow forcing people to do something they clearly don't want to do is going to work? The publisher / developer of the title is trying to sell their product to the widest audience possible, and that's going to include people who don't want to play the game the same way you do.

Matching people who want to play the game the same way as one another would be a fine solution, presuming there's a large enough active player base to still get everyone into a match in reasonable time.

jviggy43

I'm just good enough to solo carry games so I don't need mics or teams.

There is no carrying in OW at master and above.

Let's approach this from a different angle:

SCENARIO A
4. Non-vitriolic players with mics get either "deal with it" or find a full party to talk to if they want to play the game as it was designed to be played

SCENARIO B
2. Some of those players mute ONLY the offending people on chat.
3. Those players also report the offending people to Steam, Xbox Live, PSN, and the developers for violating TOS
4. Non-vitriolic players with mics can still communicate with those players who only mute the bad communicators
5. Target muters and non-vitriolic players alike with mics can both play the game as it was designed to be played
6. Through communications and complete bans from reporting, less people will potentially have to deal with vitriolic players in the future

SCENARIO C
4. Non-vitriolic players with mics either "deal with it" or find a full party to talk to if they want to play the game as it was designed to be played
5. Non-vitriolic players with mics say "fuck that" and start campaigns to add communications as a matchmaking factor.
6. Non-mic players get grouped together to enjoy silence together and play the game how they want to play it
7. Vitriolic players lose their mic privileges and get put into the Non-mic group because who cares how they want to play
8. Non-vitriolic players with mics get to play the game as it was designed to be played

Scenario A is the current model. Non-mic people like it because they sacrifice nothing at the expense of others i.e. people who want to communicate for teamwork purposes. Mic users who want to play Competitive games properly instead get stuck with deaf mutes and racists in every game (I can haz hyperbole too)

Scenario B is a compromise model. Both current non mic users and mic users work together to mute and report the vitriolic people and make online gaming a better place where good communications are not just a possibility, but a likelihood.

Scenario C is what could happen when people who want to communicate get fed up with the current model and decide that being told to sacrifice and deal with it isn't cutting it for us anymore. Sure, it might not work, but then again, it might.

Also, to all the "omg how could you say that vitriolic people should be lumped with the non mic users?" Guess what? YOU'RE ALREADY PLAYING WITH THEM. You've made it a point to say how every game you've ever played had horrible people in it, well, we believe you now. So if your mics are off now and you have no problem playing with them, you should have no problems being grouped with them specifically later. You can't hear or talk to them anyway, so who cares?

giphy.gif

Siege.exe

I think for games like Overwatch, CoD, Battlefield, etc all should have team/squad chat on by default and you have to go out of your way to turn it off. It should lock you out of console party chat until you change an in-game setting or something. That way if someone is being a toxic jackass then you can still mute them if needed, but team/sqaud chat needs to be set to default. These are team based games and need to be treated as such when it comes to chat. If you don't want to chat or are playing solo then you have to go into game settings and set the chat up for it otherwise you are listening to entire team and/or squad. That is how should have been and needs to be set up. I've met some great friends through team chat and now everyone has turned into antisocial little bitches- you all have to communicate in the real world including your fucking jobs.

Am I suddenly being paid to talk to randoms during my leisure time? No? Are you gonna pay me to stop being an "antisocial little bitch" and talk to people who aren't in my party? No? Cool, peace, I'll continue not doing the thing that I am under no obligation to do. Let me know when there's money involved though, I'll switch to game chat in a heartbeat.

jviggy43

Am I suddenly being paid to talk to randoms during my leisure time? No? Are you gonna pay me to stop being an "antisocial little bitch" and talk to people who aren't in my party? No? Cool, peace, I'll continue not doing the thing that I am under no obligation to do. Let me know when there's money involved though, I'll switch to game chat in a heartbeat.

No one is forcing you to do anything but refusing to cooperate in a mode which is designed for communication is frustrating and hinders the experience for people who do want to communicate. Which is why the above proposal is being advocated for. Put the people who don't want to use mics in a separate que. Everyone wins.

I'm glad you brought up jobs. If you were getting paid to play Overwatch, then yeah I could see where you're coming from.

MutFox

Banned
What system are people with issues playing on?
Just want to know which community seems to be affected the most.
As people saying over 90% of people on mics are toxic, is not the reality I live in, not even close.

creatchee

As people saying over 90% of people on mics are toxic, is not the reality I live in, not even close.

It's not the reality anybody lives in. At best, their assessment of the number is hyperbole based on internal bias. At worst, it's outright lying to justify their behavior.

It doesn't even have to be about toxicity or whatever.

I think the issue is more like, what is enjoyable. Is it just to play a multiplayer game for a bit and have fun? Is it to show how great I am at the game, or to socialize? People have different reasons and want different things from the same game.

I play at my own pace. I don't want anyone relying on me, and I don't want to rely on anyone else. I don't want to talk to anyone, or hear what anyone else has to say. I still might want to play a a game like Overwatch, though. If something actually depended on cooperating with my teammates, sure, then I'd use my mic and think about playing on other people's terms.

It's not the reality anybody lives in. At best, their assessment of the number is hyperbole based on internal bias. At worst, it's outright lying to justify their behavior.
In my experience its been about 30% of the time (assholes, singing, loud music, yelling at mom, bigoted shit, etc) and that's enough to keep me from using the mic in general.

I know some people want to treat these games like an e-sport or a job, but I already have a job and I play these games to unwind. And the thing with ranked games is that you're most likely to be matched with people around your skill level, as opposed to the casual playlists where teams go to stomp noobs before heading into ranked.

But in general I don't play the super competitive game modes very often, or hell PvP for that matter. I'll dip my toes in at least, but the only time I find myself having fun is when I go in without needing to win.

jviggy43

It doesn't even have to be about toxicity or whatever.

I think the issue is more like, what is enjoyable. Is it just to play a multiplayer game for a bit and have fun? Is it to show how great I am at the game, or to socialize? People have different reasons and want different things from the same game.

I play at my own pace. I don't want anyone relying on me, and I don't want to rely on anyone else. I don't want to talk to anyone, or hear what anyone else has to say. I still might want to play a a game like Overwatch, though. If something actually depended on cooperating with my teammates, sure, then I'd use my mic and think about playing on other people's terms.
Ok and this is fine except that, competitive modes fall into the "not casual or have fun" modes. That's for quick play and social playlists. If you're jumping onto competitive to just have fun and not rely on anyone when the entire goal of competitive is to rely on teammates and be competitive, you're not playing the mode the way it was intended to be played.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Depends on the game and the player. I often have no mic, but never in ranked objective games.

If I'm playing without a mic I pick a buddy from the other team and behave in a rational teamwork fashion.

If it's SWAT or Super Fiesta in Halo I go full Leroy Jenkins.

Seijuro

Not a fan of mics even in said MP centric games. it's never tactics that are discussed, it's dudes breathing heavy, listening to metal or parents with screaming babies in the background... and the swearing. My god, the swearing.

Raitaro

I respect your preference OP, but personally I would state the opposite: the existence of voice chat largely ruins my interest to play multiplayer games online as I strongly prefer either silence or in-game ways of communication that don't involve talking (like emotes, making signs etc.).

Granted, if I had friends instead of strangers to play with, I might feel differently, but gaming friends to me are like unicorns that shit golden eggs.

To each their own I suppose.

benzopil

Also, ALSO, what about those OW people that ANNOUNCE THEIR FUCKIN PLAY BY PLAY CONSTANTLY THROUGH THE MIC. I don't need your life story dva.

Sorry what. They want to win and make it much easier.

If your Zenyatta doesn't say "X discorded" every 5 seconds, he's not a great Zenyatta.

It's probably been touched on in this thread but a good solution to OPs problem would be a push to talk button while in party chat.

For example. You're playing a competitive game but in party chat with your friends. You're talking about personal stuff with your friends. You see a random in game about to get snuck up on. Hit your push to talk button. You call out to your random and that saves his life. Now you go back to chatting with your friends in party.

This kind of thing exists on PC games. I remember it in team fortress 2. But consoles just don't have enough buttons to dedicate for a ppt. Anyway, I see what OP is saying, but party chat is just too good to not use.

ironmang

It's probably been touched on in this thread but a good solution to OPs problem would be a push to talk button while in party chat.

For example. You're playing a competitive game but in party chat with your friends. You're talking about personal stuff with your friends. You see a random in game about to get snuck up on. Hit your push to talk button. You call out to your random and that saves his life. Now you go back to chatting with your friends in party.

This kind of thing exists on PC games. I remember it in team fortress 2. But consoles just don't have enough buttons to dedicate for a ppt. Anyway, I see what OP is saying, but party chat is just too good to not use.

That would be great except it seems a lot of people in this thread are garbage-tier teammates who would let you get flanked because they're too lazy to press a button and say a couple words. Even if they're not in party chat.

But yeah, that system you're describing is how I've been playing PC shooters for well over a decade. Talk in Vent with friends who may or may not be on my team while making calls in game.

AlexBasch

Alright. I'm curious.
Like, really curious and not trying to be snarky about it. Seriously.

How many of the "use the mic" guys are american/british males? Not talking about this thread in particular or this forum, but in general?

I don't want to play the victim card here, but it's pretty damning to hear someone who speaks in another language getting bullied on by american dudes who have a very recognizable accent. That alone makes me go "fuck that, if I ever got friends to play with I'm sheltering in party chat instead".

I opened a thread in off-topic about not being good at speaking English and it's kinda the reality of it, even if you're good, your accent is still in there sometimes, and it can attract a very unpleasant crowd to it. It's kinda hard to open up when you join a game and it's filled with native English speakers, which isn't really bad by itself, but it's a dangerous place to be if you're not good at it. I rarely have seen Spanish speaking players when I play online, for example. :/

Granted, if I had friends instead of strangers to play with, I might feel differently, but gaming friends to me are like unicorns that shit golden eggs.

To each their own I suppose.
Yeah, haha. The whole "get friends to play with" is something very logic, but at the same time not something that I can achieve straight away. The only friend I played online with is part of a very competitive group of Overwatch players and he has moved away from the PS4 to play Dota, LoL and PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds in PC, which are games I have no interest whatsoever to play. Gotta work hard on getting those "best friends with mics" commandos I guess, haha.

Briarios

Sorry what. They want to win and make it much easier.

If your Zenyatta doesn't say "X discorded" every 5 seconds, he's not a great Zenyatta.

You can see who is discorded ... Why does he need to constantly say it? If you're playing with randoms, I feel zero need to speak to them. I'm not going to submit myself to their rants, racist and otherwise. I can understand if you're playing ranked, but a pick-up game with randoms? Nah.

AlexBasch

He worded it a bit poorly, but he's not wrong. I truly believe that antisocial tendencies are the main reason people refuse to get on voice chat.
You didn't say little bitches. I can communicate just fine in my work arranging interviews, doing them and talking to my co-workers. I just don't want to do that online with other people.

People might have their reasons not to do that, calling them "antisocial little bitches" is a dick move, in my opinion.

diablogod

1v1 games sound a bit more up my alley, yeah. Do you happen to know any good 1v1 games/modes? I haven't heard of many lately(or more likely I heard of them and didn't know they were/had 1v1).

Yeah, but somewhat illogically I feel a little put off by knowing that the community seems to have such a...dislike for people who don't use mics, you know? Feel a little irrationally weird about it. It's nothing that would keep me from a game I was super interested in, but when I'm on the fence about it, it's like "Ehh."

I might give it a shot together with some friends though. That would be doable and pretty fun I think. Plus that way I bypass the whole mic issue to start with.

Off the top of my head of games that I still play, Street Fighter 5 (but pretty much any fighting game fits the bill), For Honor 1v1 mode and Starcraft 2 1v1, also archon mode or co-op is also pretty fun if your not good at the games.

Siege.exe

No one is forcing you to do anything but refusing to cooperate in a mode which is designed for communication is frustrating and hinders the experience for people who do want to communicate. Which is why the above proposal is being advocated for. Put the people who don't want to use mics in a separate que. Everyone wins.

Or how about everyone just play the game instead of worrying about how other people are being "antisocial little bitches" just because they don't want to talk to you, and we not fracture playerbases solely based on people not wanting to use mics.

Budi

That would be great except it seems a lot of people in this thread are garbage-tier teammates who would let you get flanked because they're too lazy to press a button and say a couple words. Even if they're not in party chat.

But yeah, that system you're describing is how I've been playing PC shooters for well over a decade. Talk in Vent with friends who may or may not be on my team while making calls in game.

LMAO, you are shooting shit with your friends during a match? I really hope I don't end up in a same game with you, people like you ruin MP.... focus on the match dude.

Maybe if you weren't so distracted by VOIP from the game audio, you'd hear what is happening around you.

Edit: Please don't tell me you are rocking Spotify or some shit at the same time too.

ironmang

LMAO, you are shooting shit with your friends during a match? I really hope I don't end up in a same game with you, people like you ruin MP.... focus on the match dude.

Maybe if you weren't so distracted by VOIP from the game audio, you'd hear what is happening around you.

Edit: Please don't tell me you are rocking Spotify or some shit at the same time too.

You ever played CSGO? There's plenty of down time that you can make some small talk with friends. In pregame, while you're dead, saving a gun, defusing a bomb, during freezetime, shortly after the round starts when you're getting in position. I still make all my calls and hear everything my teammates say.

Budi

You ever played CSGO? There's plenty of down time that you can make some small talk with friends. In pregame, while you're dead, saving a gun, defusing a bomb, during freezetime, shortly after the round starts when you're getting in position. I still make all my calls and hear everything my teammates say.

Not really, for few hours. I played the original a lot. But you have no power over your friends when they speak though. That doesn't cover footsteps, reload sound or something else? And I guess you mean defusing the bomb when other team is already dead.

Edit: I remember this happening to me atleast when I was still playing when some of my friends I was playing with were talking something unrelated to the game or cursing their own death (back seat gaming in the worst case) and couldn't hear properly. Some of those sounds are quite subtle, like grenade flying and using a scope.

ironmang

Not really, for few hours. But I played the original a lot. But you have no power over your friends when they speak though. That doesn't cover footsteps, reload sound or something else? And I guess you mean defusing the bomb when other team is already dead.

Edit: I remember this happening to me atleast when I was still playing when some of my teammates were talking something unrelated to the game while we were playing and couldn't hear properly. Some of those sounds are quite subtle, like throwing a grenade.

I play with in game volume louder than vent and I've been playing this series so long that I can pick up footsteps even with multiple people talking or gunfire or whatever. Still, even if I only make 95% of the calls it's better than making 0%. I don't care if my teammates miss some stuff either because it happens but if they call nothing it leads to some pretty frustrating games.

There's even radio commands that can at least somewhat get the message across if someone is dead set on not using their voice. I pretty much know them naturally by this point just so I can call out to someone on my team who has everybody muted since you can't mute radio commands lol.

Budi

I play with in game volume louder than vent and I've been playing this series so long that I can pick up footsteps even with multiple people talking or gunfire or whatever. Still, even if I only make 95% of the calls it's better than making 0%. I don't care if my teammates miss some stuff either because it happens but if they call nothing it leads to some pretty frustrating games.

There's even radio commands that can at least somewhat get the message across if someone is dead set on not using their voice. I pretty much know them naturally by this point just so I can call out to someone on my team who has everybody muted since you can't mute radio commands lol.

Yeah those radio commands were in the original too, don't remember in which version they were added though. Great feature. Still not entirely convinced that you hear scopes and reloads over vent properly hmm. Especially considering the audio quality in vent, that shit is nasty. I was stubborn to upgrade from vent to mumble when my friends were pushing for it for a long time, but I'm glad I did.

I must admit, I don't really understand why team games are so popular right now and why devs make so many, when talking over the mic is so unpopular.

jviggy43

Or how about everyone just play the game instead of worrying about how other people are being "antisocial little bitches" just because they don't want to talk to you, and we not fracture playerbases solely based on people not wanting to use mics.
Why? I don't want to play with You? The same way you don't want to deal with trolls. The mode is built around communication and competitive multiplayer modes are designed around for communication. You lose nothing by being segregated for not using a Mic because you don't use a Mic anyway. Also I never said anything about being anti social, I think there are valid reasons for not using them. I also think those reasons affect competitive play, thus the solution above means everyone gets what they want.

Budi

I must admit, I don't really understand why team games are so popular right now and why devs make so many, when talking over the mic is so unpopular.

People do talk, but only to their friends =P It's fun to play games with friends, even when not a full stack.

LowSignal

I think the online networks need to start match making mic users with other mic users. Its so much more of an enjoyable experience when people communicate effectively

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Honestly following this thread from the beginning makes me realize that, yeah, multiplayer games really, really aren't for me. While the OP himself has not advocated as such, it seems like a...sizable number of people are of the opinion that you should either put up with abuse or not play the game. Which kinda bums me out, really. Because if even one of the most progressive video game communities out there has opinions like this, I imagine the rest of the internet's opinion must be even worse.

I was thinking about getting into more competitive stuff when I was reading this thread early on and giving it a shot again like "You know, sure I ran into a shit ton of racists last time but everyone keeps telling me to just shut my mic off to give it a go again and - hm. Okay apparently I can't do that either or I'm a terrible selfish person."

Well, it's okay. I understand not every type of game is for everyone. That's fine, I won't force my presence if I'm not welcome there. I'll stick with single player/local multiplayer shit.

Come and play Destiny. Join my PVP trains. No mic needed. Ever.

nel e nel

Well, what is the data?

That's not to say that you must be wrong because you haven't presented any. It's saying that nobody in this thread can really say for certain whether one game community is more toxic than another, or whether things have become more toxic over time.

That's the point, and nobody can say that their toxic free experience is the norm either. Personally, I'd argue it's always been toxic, it's just that the advent of game capturing and streaming has now provided an avenue to document it.

nel e nel

Because nobody cares about communication in COD, Battlefield and Titanfall. Most of the time you farm kills and win. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And in Destiny competitive mode doesnt have matchmaking. So OW and Siege (competitive only, I don't care about quickplay) are the only ones left. I mean popular games.

I wouldn't know about those other games you listed, as I played primarily Gears and a smattering of Halo on Xbox, and Uncharted on PlayStation. But I guess those aren't popular.

ramyeon

In the case of OW all you really need is a couple of people making call outs over mic, no one using mic sucks but everyone on mic talking over each other (Or even worse, those people who just keep talking the whole game) is even worse.

Top Bottom