• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Ark

I have no idea what's wrong with me today. 3 times I've ambushed someone at point blank range with an UMP, 3 times 90% of my shots somehow went wide and missed them.

on the bright side, I had a fun moment where a guy and I agreed to part ways instead of shooting each other

Were you strafing while shooting?

In this game, I swear moving & shooting at the same time is a death trap unless your opponent is a potato. Which has been difficult for me to un-learn after years of utilising it in other games.

Pachimari

Saw this on reddit, can't believe I never recognized the reference

MY6iA79.png

Wow, this is amazing, nice find!

Raitaro

Wow, this is amazing, nice find!

That's cool indeed! Could there be any other references to similar Battle Royale type movies like Predators, The Hunger Games, etc.?

(And yeah, like I said earlier, I would really love a Battlegrounds style game (or BG expansion) with either Predators who hunt all players or Hunger Games style dynamic arena's with weird effects and creatures being summoned in. Running Man / Smash TV and its TV show framework would also make for a cool premise and additional layer for one of these games. Or how about one where you control a (balanced for fairness) random super hero or villain each match and fight a Secret Wars style battle? Dibs on Galactus!)

Hylian7

People still go across bridges? pff

Early game you can totally get away with it.

Also someone had to go across to set up the roadblock, but yes, people still go across bridges.

This game needs SDARs to deal with swimmers. Right now the water is straight up broke.

Is it me or are vehicles not loud enough? I'm creeping around and hear a faint buzzing noise, and before I can tell where it's coming from a buggy is on my ass and I can maybe get a shot off before it slams into me.

Bread

Banned
Is it me or are vehicles not loud enough? I'm creeping around and hear a faint buzzing noise, and before I can tell where it's coming from a buggy is on my ass and I can maybe get a shot off before it slams into me.
If you're wearing headphones and you can't hear vehicles coming then that's an issue on your end.

Yeah I wear headphones (a total must with this game) and I can hear cars coming a mile away. I always go prone instinctively right away, I've had some cars drive right past me that way.

Tagyhag

I have no idea what's wrong with me today. 3 times I've ambushed someone at point blank range with an UMP, 3 times 90% of my shots somehow went wide and missed them.

on the bright side, I had a fun moment where a guy and I agreed to part ways instead of shooting each other

How did that happen?

I always play the game with other voices off so I've been wondering if I'm actually missing out on anything.

Bread

Banned
Guess I should get headphones. :/
Yes you should! Just be prepared for your first red zone and thunderstorm, they are loud and scary.

How did that happen?

I always play the game with other voices off so I've been wondering if I'm actually missing out on anything.
My game stopped broadcasting other players to me weeks ago for some reason. I'd love to talk shit to people in game but I just can't seem to find why it's muting in-game voice chat.

JDB

Banned
Game could really do with giving me some goddamn scopes every now and then. Going through half a city, killing half a dozen dudes and still not even getting a measly 2x sucks.

Got my first solo chicken dinner.

lO7tzta.jpg

I got some nice kills this game. I headshot a guy from across several rooftops with the akm with just iron sights. Threw a random grenade in one of those squat towers and got a free kill from a camper. I had the VSS but didn't manage to kill anyone with it. Didn't seem like it was doin much. I mostly used it as binoculars. I only managed to find a 2x for the AK but I made it work.

In past games I kept getting shot in the back from dead men walking way out in the blue field. My new strategy was to dive deep in the circle and run towards gunfire. It worked out pretty well for me here.

I dont really know how to play the game as a team. Is there voicechat in the game? Solo so far I love a lot!

Yeah there's an in-game voice chat. Usually when playing duo or squad with randoms the games quickly escalate to chaos and premade teams thriumph but occasionally you end up with some good people :)

Archpath1

The point of the gun is to wittle them down, burn theyre meds, chip damage basically.

Had some good games yesterday, hiding in bushes , crawling in grass , playing stealthy is pretty fun

Twookie

my opinion of VSS has gotten more positive for each day I've gotten it. people at pretty much ANY distance will have no idea where they are getting shot from. and since they don't know where it's coming from, they don't know where to hide so you can actually kill them if they are not too far away from you as the bullet drop is pretty nuts.

JDB

Banned
The VSS is really good in very specific situations. Probably one of the least versatile weapons in the game, though.

Hylian7

I think the removal of reliable car spawns has changed the game for the better. You pretty much have to direct drop to somewhere. If anyone else lands there with you, you need to find a gun and kill them. I know I have won plenty of those early game fights, and lost a few too. Winning them is satisfying though.

Bread

Banned
I think the removal of reliable car spawns has changed the game for the better. You pretty much have to direct drop to somewhere. If anyone else lands there with you, you need to find a gun and kill them. I know I have won plenty of those early game fights, and lost a few too. Winning them is satisfying though.
Yup it definitely has. My group was using the hard spawn way too often and I think the game is more fun when you have to scramble to find a way to get to your destination instead of hitting up an automatic vehicle spawn.

Its so much easier to win duos by yourself than solo queue. That fact is really fucking weird but completely true.

2 solo chicken dinners today in duos after partner died 2 mins in. I also get way more kills in duos.

All of yall getting frustrated with solo queue try duoing with randoms. At worst they die at best they help!
There's a hidden ranking system in place, you're likely just being matched with lower skilled players than you would be in solo if you haven't played many duos. I kinda hate this system as I think it should randomly group everyone together, but whatever, it is what it is.

You can achieve the same effect by playing in different regions, as the hidden rank will be at the lowest.

GodofWine

Some of the matches where EVERYTHING is a struggle are such a strange combination of :
1) This isn't fun why do I do this to myself?
2) God this is exhilarating!
3) Im all the way across the map from the first circle, have no car and just a pistol
4) HOW THE F#### did i get across the map, swim across the river, avoid bullets, and manage to gear up
5) Im not gonna make the top 10....
6) I MADE THE TOP 10!
7) Now I'll just stealth and steal the win
8) Crap I'm dead

Kills - 0
Damage - 0

Heart Rate - 145bpm

Ark

This game has been so fucking bullshit for me tonight. Lag and desyncs all over the show. I just emptied half a mag into a guy and he casually strayed and one shot me with a shotgun.

For fucks sake.

Joined the Discord. Wouldn't mind catching some group games.

I've got a lot of the basics down. Locations of prime equipment and stuff, on the other hand, I mostly just fly by the seat of my pants while learning.

Blam

Joined the Discord. Wouldn't mind catching some group games.

I've got a lot of the basics down. Locations of prime equipment and stuff, on the other hand, I mostly just fly by the seat of my pants while learning.

When I get home I'd be up to play with you we can try getting a full group together to do some matches?

Find UAZ as blue encroaches. It's missing a tire and is damaged.

I ditch it instead of crossing the bridge and try to swim. The blue catches up to me seconds before I reach the opposite shore.

I find a first aid kit seconds before I'm about to die and heal up.

I run and the blue catches me again right as I find a Dacia. It makes it 50 yards before running out of gas. I see a motorcycle but it's too far away to run to.

I die seconds from reaching the edge of the next circle.

Hi I'm the guy who had a level 2 vest and level 1 helmet and unloaded a full VSS mag into an unarmored person at point blank as they charged me with a P92 and they survived and I died

Hylian7

Hi I'm the guy who had a level 2 vest and level 1 helmet and unloaded a full VSS mag into an unarmored person at point blank as they charged me with a P92 and they survived and I died
I had one yesterday where I had L2 vest and helmet, and an AK on full auto. I tagged him plenty of times but somehow he one-shotted me with a SCAR... The fuck...

Blizzard

Banned
I had one yesterday where I had L2 vest and helmet, and an AK on full auto. I tagged him plenty of times but somehow he one-shotted me with a SCAR... The fuck...
I thought no weapon in the game was one-shot? Even the most powerful single-shot rifle takes 2 shots to the head.

Blizzard

Banned
Aren't the AWM and crossbow one shot?
I guess you're right. I found a post from April that says the AWM (I hadn't even seen that listed in the guide I was looking at), 686 shotgun, and 1897 shotgun will all kill through a level 3 helmet if it's a headshot. I also saw crossbow one-shots level 3 helmet.

JDB

Banned
I thought no weapon in the game was one-shot? Even the most powerful single-shot rifle takes 2 shots to the head.
At level 3 an AWM will take people down in one shot. With a level 2 helmets most of not all snipers will do the trick. Rifles may do so for level 1 helmets, but I'm not entirely sure.

sometimes when the server is lagging you get one pop per like 3 shots so it seems like theyre shooting less than they are

This has been happening to me constantly for the last two days. At one point the lag was so bad I could barely get through a building, and the blue circle was touching the white on my screen for 30 seconds before it updated.

JDB

Banned
So leaderboard wipe is happening soon, what are you guys' win ratio so far? Mine:

NA Solo - 19/6 - 31%
EU Solo - 42/6 - 14%

NA Duos - 197/23 - 11%
EU Duos - 104/11 - 10%

NA Squad - 275/30 - 10%
EU Squad - 40/8 - 20%

Seems to settle at around 10% for me given enough time. You can definitely see that skill matching kicking in the longer your play in one playlist.

Yeah, I think I'm done with the game until they fix server performance. I just had a great run and tense standoff completely ruined when the guy I flanked suddenly teleported five feet to the right and beside me for a headshot.

Bread

Banned
Yeah, I think I'm done with the game until they fix server performance. I just had a great run and tense standoff completely ruined when the guy I flanked suddenly teleported five feet to the right and beside me for a headshot.
Where do you live? I don't deal with 10% of the lag issues you have.

Oreoleo

I played a single game a few hours ago and the lag was worse than I've ever noticed it being in the few weeks I've owned the game. Items taking a full second to pick up or be equipped, the new white circle not updating for a few seconds after the blue field has come all the way in. I was even able to be outside the blue field without taking damage. It was a mess.

Blizzard

Banned
What boggles my mind is how close the game feels to the jank of Day-Z despite being UE4. I haven't played a ton of UE4 demos and games yet, but I don't think I've encountered any that have the weird feeling of disconnect Battlegrounds does, even in UI menus.

It's the irrational fear that at any moment, the game might crash or a physics glitch might kill you. Fortunately this hasn't happened to me yet.

Javier23

Banned
What boggles my mind is how close the game feels to the jank of Day-Z despite being UE4. I haven't played a ton of UE4 demos and games yet, but I don't think I've encountered any that have the weird feeling of disconnect Battlegrounds does, even in UI menus.

It's the irrational fear that at any moment, the game might crash or a physics glitch might kill you. Fortunately this hasn't happened to me yet.
Know exactly what you mean. They've done a great job imitating Arma in that sense so far.

Though, to be fair, it's an early access title after all.

Top Bottom