• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Pachimari

So much lag at the moment wth.

My game just crashed / froze in the menu for the first time too.

And now doors are even opening toward me.

Tovarisc

Is the cross bow always a 1 hit kill love it

No, it's not. I think it's OHK to torso or head when target has Tier 1 armor or less. Tier 2 or higher and target will survive the hit. Hitting arms and legs don't OHK.

At least according some data that I have seen.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Poor server tickrate and people with spotty connections are probably the reason there is so much desync.

It's the same in DayZ and the ARMA series.

Optimizations need to happen on the server-side before it'll get better.

UE4 is only really optimized for 64 players max (according to Epic). PU and his team are kinda flying on their own as far as netcode is concerned.

The engine CAN do 100 players or even 1000, but it is not designed for that by epic. Which means all those sweet netcode optimizations that come out of the box for UE4 are not really helping. That said, any team working on multiplayer with UE4 is going to want to roll with their own netcode at some point regardless of player count, but I wouldn't be surprised if the PUBG devs have had to completely change UE4s netcode for this game. TERA did the same thing for UE3 I believe.

I love seeing UE4 stretched to these extremes though. It is such a damn good engine, so much better than UE3 in its prime.

Anecdotally, I was in a match that started with only 20 players yesterday and there was no lag at all. I wonder if they have really dug into the source yet, or if they are trying to make the engine do something it isn't designed for. The netcode stuff is kind of weirdly bad.

Tovarisc

Poor server tickrate and people with spotty connections are probably the reason there is so much desync.

Battlegrounds servers currently aim for 60 Hz.

UE4 is only really optimized for 64 players max (according to Epic). PU and his team are kinda flying on their own as far as netcode is concerned.

The engine CAN do 100 players or even 1000, but it is not designed for that by epic. Which means all those sweet netcode optimizations that come out of the box for UE4 are not really helping. That said, any team working on multiplayer with UE4 is going to want to roll with their own netcode at some point regardless of player count, but I wouldn't be surprised if the PUBG devs have had to completely change UE4s netcode for this game. TERA did the same thing for UE3 I believe.

I love seeing UE4 stretched to these extremes though. It is such a damn good engine, so much better than UE3 in its prime.

Anecdotally, I was in a match that started with only 20 players yesterday and there was no lag at all. I wonder if they have really dug into the source yet, or if they are trying to make the engine do something it isn't designed for. The netcode stuff is kind of weirdly bad.

BG devs have identified problems with UE4's core networking coding, are planning to fix it and have even contacted Epic for help.

afaik

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Battlegrounds servers currently aim for 60 Hz.

BG devs have identified problems with UE4's core networking coding, are planning to fix it and have even contacted Epic for help.

afaik

Given the spotlight on PUBG this might light a fire under Epic's ass and get some network improvements added into the engine for other devs as well. That's the cool thing about Epic, if something goes into one of their games, or in some cases other high profile games using the engine, they usually release a version of that feature somewhere down the road for everyone else.

This is how we got forward rendering for VR (was initially developed by Oculus AFAIK).

Those problems are probably because Epic never really intended to go over 64 players, and expected MMO devs to completely rewrite the netcode (which any MMO dev would do anyways :p).

Would be cool to see Epic support really high player counts out of the box though.

I have yet to kill a single person in this game, but I think I'm good at hiding into the last 20 people or so.

I shot a couple people at distance a lot in my last game, but couldn't bring them down.

My general strategy is always to drop on the far side of the map after most people have jumped out of the plane, so I'm not generally in heavily populated areas until the circle whittles down a bit.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I clicked on this thread by accident, read through the OP, and this sounds absolutely incredible. I'm dying to try this on consoles.

The lag has been really acting up the last two days. Circle being out of sync (it shrinking all of the way and then resetting a small distance), weird hangups, being caught on the opposite sides of doors after closing them, death messages popping up while you're still firing shots, etc.

there is a certain level of patience till the end and then it comes down to being real aggressive for the last few kills. I got #2 like 4 rounds in a row. 3 of them duo matches.

it has been awhile where I've played a multiplayer shooter as much as this. love the tactics people are posting here.

Steel

Banned
I take what I said about the UZI back. Just murdered an entire team and went on to get eight more kills with one by ambushing with a silenced uzi. It's still crap if you're shooting at range.

The lag has been really acting up the last two days. Circle being out of sync (it shrinking all of the way and then resetting a small distance), weird hangups, being caught on the opposite sides of doors after closing them, death messages popping up while you're still firing shots, etc.

I've spawned in in a four team game without any of the building models spawning in for me. Ended up getting murdered trying to walk through a wall that I couldn't see, but I really helped the team by spotting in heavy urban areas with my x-ray vision. The lag is getting weird.

Pachimari

Yeah , it's been pretty infuriating.

Shaii

Bought the game a few days ago. So much fun, but the lag is almost unbearable.

I can't count how many times I've been hit after getting behind cover, or fighting opponents who are glitching all over the place, and who end up finishing me off with a single round to the head... Oh and don't get me started with the loot lag.. It completely kills the immersion... Jesus Christ

Such a bitter/sweet experience....

I really hope they get this fixed, because it's ruining an otherwise great coop game.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I just won a match. I can't believe I lasted that long. I got three kills during the round. Once it was down to two I circled around and found the other guy before he saw me. It was so nerve wracking.

My best finish is 5th.

Yesterday I killed off 3 of the top 10 in a UAV. The circle pushed everyone into a field and most guys were prone and couldn't avoid. Felt like the Spanish Inquisition!

Then I hopped out, got the drop on a guy, hit him, forgot I had my M16 on semi and he dropped me with an AKM burst.

TheRed

Dammit dammit, losing every gunfight in the shittiest ways when I get first shot off. I'm getting the worst lag all day. Idk how these people have it so easy to shoot me when then skipping all over out of my aim, then they take a shot and get me immediately. I'm literally outsmarting my position to opponents every game but can't hit them for shit when it's time to take them out.

Salty Hippo

Dammit dammit, losing every gunfight in the shittiest ways when I get first shot off. I'm getting the worst lag all day. Idk how these people have it so easy to shoot me when then skipping all over out of my aim, then they take a shot and get me immediately. I'm literally outsmarting my position to opponents every game but can't hit them for shit when it's time to take them out.

The same happens to me. Granted, my entire experience with this game has been just my 2 hours and the GB stream. They suck at the game, and so do I. But most of the time the enemy has killed either one of them or me them I was like "how...?".

Do the devs do anything to stop cheaters? Because seriously, most of the time the enemy knows exactly where to aim and it takes just one shot to kill or hurt. Like, their pixel barely pops up on screen and I'm down. I'm terrible at the game, can't stress that enough, but just wondering.

pirata

Really interested in getting into this game, but I'm not sure if my PC will be capable of playing what seems to be a pretty unoptimized and CPU-intensive game.

Intel i5 2500K (hey, it's been good to me so far!)
Geforce 970
8 gigs RAM
1080p monitor

So, can the game run well for me, or should I wait for it to get better optimized? Any helpful settings tips?

TheRed

The same happens to me. Granted, my entire experience with this game has been just my 2 hours and the GB stream. They suck at the game, and so do I. But most of the time the enemy has killed either one of them or me them I was like "how...?".

Do the devs do anything to stop cheaters? Because seriously, most of the time the enemy knows exactly where to aim and it takes just one shot to kill or hurt. Like, their pixel barely pops up on screen and I'm down. I'm terrible at the game, can't stress that enough, but just wondering.
I've done much better the last few days and could actually get kills. Today has just been garbage for me. I had a match where I got really good gear, lvl 3 helmet and vest and AKM and Vector combo. About as good as I could ask for. Other comes directly to my area not knowing I'm there and even with the godly vector I hit him a couple times and every other bullet seems to miss. He jumps and fires just a couple shots at me and kills me with a headshot. Lvl 3 helmet couldn't even help the terrible day I'm having.
A guy just almost killed me by punching while I had a pistol had to use literally all of the 20 shots to get him and it was hard as hell to hit him. So much lag.

Tovarisc

They do. BattlEye is one of better anti-cheats and they just put out ban wave.

TheRed

For whoever else was having the same problem as me where the mouse was misaligned in menus and map I figured out it was because I have my windows taskbar on the left of my screen. Moving it to the bottom fixed the issue.

Just had a super anticlimactic and weird end to a rain round where I got a lucky house spot, killed a guy who came in, kept overwatch on people trying to run the rim, and then decided to drive up on a guy when the circle ended up being half ocean. My UAZ skidded right in front of a cliff while I was braking, I jumped out to take the minor damage rather than die, it dropped me on a little ledge on the cliff with maybe 1/5 health bar damage, then teleported me into the water next to the UAZ and said I died of falling.

Have to say it is refreshing to play a first person shooter that incentivizes you almost at all times from firing your weapon.

Happens in other shooters but here it feels like the only time you ever want to fire is when you are 100% that a kill will result.

Salty Hippo

Really interested in getting into this game, but I'm not sure if my PC will be capable of playing what seems to be a pretty unoptimized and CPU-intensive game.

Intel i5 2500K (hey, it's been good to me so far!)
Geforce 970
8 gigs RAM
1080p monitor

So, can the game run well for me, or should I wait for it to get better optimized? Any helpful settings tips?

Almost my exact rig, except my CPU is a i5 4590 stock. Runs kinda lousy for me, 60 with frequent drops and plenty of stutters that can ruin an encounter. It also takes very long to load. Sometimes the game has started and I'm still looking at the loading screen. Other times everything seems normal, I hit the ground quickly but the houses are still in the PS1 era and I can't do shit.

Tried a 3x AR sniper and AR custom game and it was ruined by speeding up the circle and timer so much that even a Dacia couldn't outrun it after 2 rounds.

Trying a first person crossbow and grenades only match now.

there were no crossbows spawning, it was all first person punches and grenades, this is the funniest goddamned thing in the world

edit: the crossbows are real

Top Bottom