• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Brakara

Following the same logic why aren't there 100% weapon spawns? Considering the rest of the game having 100% car spawns always struck me as odd.

Totally agree. Watching streamers who went right away to a car and then drove to a town far off the flight path every time always felt incredible cheesy to me, especially in a game that seems to pride itself on being different every time.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Totally agree. Watching streamers who went right away to a car and then drove to a town far off the flight path every time always felt incredible cheesy to me, especially in a game that seems to pride itself on being different every time.

As someone who's won several solo games doing this, I totally agree it needed to go. Game will be better off for it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Added a character animation for when dragging an item into the inventory
Bug my fucking ass. Terrible decision.

Game keeps getting worse and worse.

Lucifon

There's currently nothing to indicate this will slow speed dragging looting, just that something actually happens rather than your character stood there. Wouldn't jump just yet to conclusions.

jediyoshi

There's currently nothing to indicate this will slow speed dragging looting, just that something actually happens rather than your character stood there. Wouldn't jump just yet to conclusions.

Before
When you use the hot key, an animation plays and the penalty occurs.
When you right click in the inventory, an animation plays and the penalty occurs.
When you drag in the inventory, no animation plays and no penalty occurs.

After
When you use the hot key, an animation plays and the penalty occurs.
When you right click in the inventory, an animation plays and the penalty occurs.
When you drag in the inventory, an animation plays and _______.

You'd be jumping to a conclusion if you'd assume that they wouldn't add literally the only other mechanic about it.

Bread

Banned
amazing update, so many bug fixes and optimizations! that's all i really need at this point, the game is so good already.

There are people that want them to keep the dragging the way it is? What? Maybe I'm missing a joke? With the competive and intense nature of this game why would you want someone to get an advantage because they picked shit up in a different way?

There are people that want them to keep the dragging the way it is? What? Maybe I'm missing a joke? With the competive and intense nature of this game why would you want someone to get an advantage because they picked shit up in a different way?

Because it feels better to do?
Because it serves as a relatively easy skill differentiator?

If they make me stand still while looting then its 100% a bad change.

Hylian7

Pretty sure this is so you have the same animation when hiitting F to pickup loot. They made the right choice here, there is no real reason to have both if everyone will just do one because it is faster. The developers intended for there to always be an animation, so they are fixing this, I don't see the issue here.

Brakara

The developers intended for there to always be an animation, so they are fixing this, I don't see the issue here.

Me neither, and I'm a hardened drag and dropper. But looting someone should be risky, and this makes it more riskier. Also, looting someone while strafing is, quite frankly, a bit stupid.

Hylian7

This is nothing. People got mad when Valve added some in-game checkboxes to Dota that were previously only available when editing a text file because it "lowered the skill ceiling."

Fucking gamers.
My favorite was the backlash against the ability to show the jungle camp spawn boxes.

"Oh no you have to memorize the exact pixels where the boxes are so you don't ward your own camp or you are a scrub"

Lmfao at "skill" being used for being butthurt about the drag looting. It's a good change, it was obviously never intended to work that way.

Only thing i find questionable is the vector nerf, it already filled a pretty niche role, I've been saying for weeks that if it was any weaker there wouldn't be much of a point to taking it over a shotgun or a ump, maybe the tac stock evens things out though.

This is nothing. People got mad when Valve added some in-game checkboxes to Dota that were previously only available when editing a text file because it "lowered the skill ceiling."

Fucking gamers.

It's funny, I quit Dota awhile ago and just asked my friend like two days ago, "Hey did they ever add a menu option for right click deny?" Didn't even think about the backlash it must have caused.

Me neither, and I'm a hardened drag and dropper. But looting someone should be risky, and this makes it more riskier. Also, looting someone while strafing is, quite frankly, a bit stupid.

It will make the game feel worse to play, for me, 100%.

It is a bad change.

It will make the game feel worse to play, for me, 100%.

It is a bad change.

Get over it? It's half a second dude, you guys are being ridiculous, I dont know how you ever thought teleporting items into your backback instantaneously via a handheld wormhole device was ever an intended gameplay feature.

PU wants every performable action to be visible in the future as evident as the drinking/healing animations that are coming, not being able to tell that someone is looting is in direct violation of that design philosophy, it's not a bad change at all, it's a bugfix.

Hylian7

Get over it? It's half a second dude, you guys are being ridiculous, I dont know how you ever thought teleporting items into your backback instantaneously via a handheld wormhole device was ever an intended gameplay feature.

PU wants every performable action to be visible in the future as evident as the drinking/healing animations that are coming, not being able to tell that someone is looting is in direct violation of that design philosophy, it's not a bad change at all, it's a bugfix.
Yeah, the crowd complaining about this stuff has clearly never played Arma and does not understand that PUBG is going for something similar, as after all, it did start as an Arma mod.

Yeah, the crowd complaining about this stuff has clearly never played Arma and does not understand that PUBG is going for something similar, as after all, it did start as an Arma mod.

I guess it depends on how it's implemented. If it takes me 30 seconds to loot a body cause I have to bend down and pick shit up over and over then that can fuck right off.

Lunar FC

Damn, video games get people heated.

Just had my best round (4 kills), but died outside the play area with 10 people left. Bummed..

Hylian7

I guess it depends on how it's implemented. If it takes me 30 seconds to loot a body cause I have to bend down and pick shit up over and over then that can fuck right off.
Like hitting F to pick up something.

Looting a body should be a risk, and realistically, you would have to pick up each item instead of it automagically going into your inventory. It is just like how there is an animation for landing from the parachute, or changing positions between stand, crouch, and prone, or how ADS takes some time, healing takes time (and will have an animation during the process). This game is meant to have a feel similar to Arma, which is a realistic military sim with authenticity. Arma makes some abstractions, but often only when necessary, such as crosshairs, because if you were "hip" firing in real life, you would have a good sense of where you gun is pointing. In game that isn't as good, so an abstraction has to be made.

100% worse? Or do I misunderstand you, because that's some serious hyperbolic shit.

Looting will be more risky, and if you can't deal with it, then don't.

It will unequivocally make the game feel worse to play, for me. Looting in the last couple of circles is already extremely difficult, even with tab looting.

Surviving the last third of the game is almost always determined by one two things:

1. Getting looted in the early game, either due to a lucky loot table where you dropped or the lack of enemies to contend for loot with
2. You got looted by scavenging the corpses of players you slay.

#1 is pure luck, #2 is where a measure of skill is required.

What this change does is makes looting during the last 1/3 of the game much, much more dangerous, even when it was before, and therefore disadvantageous. So the change indirectly buffs the first scenario, while nerfing the last scenario.

It is placing more emphasis on luck and RNG and less emphasis on efficient looting and strafing.

It is a bad change.

PlayerUnknown has said that he wants there to be some kind of tradeoff / risk associated with anything. That's why healing items take so long to apply and why they are making it so you can't skip the loot animation. It makes sense and is intended.

Ferrio

Banned
Picked this up a few days ago after another GAF member wanted to play. I had my eye on it for awhile but didn't pull the trigger since I had no one to play with and it was still in it's early stages.

Having fun so far. Got top 10 a few times, and even #2 once where I died in the stupidest way possible when I couldn't scale a cliff and had to eat the blue.

iosa

UMP is ridiculous, I got 3 shotted from 200m I couln't even see the guy... Also lag is terrible since this past weekend.

Looting a body should be a risk

Looting (even Tab/Drag looting) is already a huge risk during the last 1/3 of the game. People are so close together that if you engage another player without a suppressor then a third party is bound to hear, and make their way to you to mop up. If you get caught looting you are 100% dead. Making looting take longer in the last 1/3 of the game is a bad change. You should be rewarded for slaying other players, not penalized.

and realistically, you would have to pick up each item instead of it automagically going into your inventory

I don't care about realism. This is a video game lol. This change makes a video game I like to play feel worse to play.

It will unequivocally make the game feel worse to play, for me. Looting in the last couple of circles is already extremely difficult, even with tab looting.

Surviving the last third of the game is almost always determined by one two things:

1. Getting looted in the early game, either due to a lucky loot table where you dropped or the lack of enemies to contend for loot with
2. You got looted by scavenging the corpses of players you slay.

#1 is pure luck, #2 is where a measure of skill is required.

I play all my solo game the same way: i go the farthest place possible with 3-5 houses easily reachable. There i found usually what i need, i take a car and go then in the middle of the circle and hide in a house.

In 95 % of the case, i end in top 20 without having to fight a player. So i don't think it's luck. I understand that my way of playing could be heavily boring for a lot of people, but i am enjoying it greatly.

I almost never loot a corpse, since i already have everything i need.

how welcoming is this game for players not very used to shooters?, been watching some streams and I´m tented but haven't really play a shooter in a long time.

Hylian7

Looting (even Tab/Drag looting) is already a huge risk during the last 1/3 of the game. People are so close together that if you engage another player without a suppressor then a third party is bound to hear, and make their way to you to mop up. If you get caught looting you are 100% dead. Making looting take longer in the last 1/3 of the game is a bad change. You should be rewarded for slaying other players, not penalized.

I don't care about realism. This is a video game lol. This change makes a video game I like to play feel worse to play.
Then you want a different video game, because PUBG is intended to be realistic by the developers. H1Z1's Battle Royale/King of the Kill/whatever it is now, is probably more what you want, and it doesn't have quite the same goal.

It is placing more emphasis on luck and RNG and less emphasis on efficient looting and strafing.

It is a bad change.

I love how you're saying this like you HAVE to loot the bodies. It's putting emphasis on risk vs reward, not RNG. It also adds a element of " should I wait to kill this guy until he's in a better spot for me to loot him...oooor shoot him in an open field"

Regardless, you shouldn't be looting bodies in the final two circles anyway.

how welcoming is this game for players not very used to shooters?, been watching some streams and I´m tented but haven't really play a shooter in a long time.

Not very welcoming at all. This is on the complex end of the spectrum of shooters, both when it comes to controls/shooter tropes and general tactics.

I think it's fine. The game is much more about positionment, patience than aiming skill imho.

Edit: it depend heavily of you're gaming style. If you want to drop where everybody is dropping, you'll need crazy FPS skills to survive.
If you play very passively, you'll be fine.

When I started I hadn't really played a shooter in awhile outside of R6 on PS4. There's still a learning curve because you have first person and third person shooting, both of which can be viable in different situations. I'd say go for it and make sure to join the GAF discord so you can group up.

Top Bottom