• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Par Score

Boy, this patch has mad the ragdolls crazy.

People's corpses flying 10 feet when I shoot them in the foot with a 9mm is the sort of bug I can get behind tbh.

Animator

Boy, this patch has mad the ragdolls crazy.

People's corpses flying 10 feet when I shoot them in the foot with a 9mm is the sort of bug I can get behind tbh.

I was in a car and my teammates motorcycle was spazzing out, it touched my car and the car flew like 200 meters into the air it was hilarious.

I'm seriously thinking about getting PUBG, but there are a few things that are keeping me from getting it atm. Maybe you guys can help me out.

- How is the online aspect in this in terms of server connection, lag and etc.?
- Are you able to join servers or people from other regions (For example, EU player playing on NA server? And if so, how is the connection for this?
- I'll be definitely looking to play in teams at the start to get used to the game (and also because I love teamwork in survival games), but I don't really have a lot of friends on Steam who own the game. Is there some kind of matchmaking that'll put me in a group/team when playing in that mode or do you have to join in as a team with friends.
This is also why I brought the previous point to attention, because I'd love to play with you fellow GAFfers but almost all of you guys are from the US.

baby

I'm seriously thinking about getting PUBG, but there are a few things that are keeping me from getting it atm. Maybe you guys can help me out.

- Are you able to join servers or people from other regions (For example, EU player playing on NA server? And if so, how is the connection for this?
- I'll be definitely looking to play in teams at the start to get used to the game (and also because I love teamwork in survival games), but I don't really have a lot of friends on Steam who own the game. Is there some kind of matchmaking that'll put me in a group/team when playing in that mode or do you have to join in as a team with friends.
This is also why I brought the previous point to attention, because I'd love to play with you fellow GAFfers but almost all of you guys are from the US.
the game is pretty laggy no matter the connection but it doesnt really hurt the experience much imo. im west coast us and regularly play on eu servers with 180+ ping and i dont feel it too hard

there is automatching but idk if id reccomend it lol
its also plenty fun alone

Par Score

This stuff is their big focus for the next monthly update.

It's certainly playable as is, but the lag can be bad at times. If it's something you're sensitive to, maybe hold off for a month?

SamuraiX-

Desync issues are still really bad in some cases (one or two hits registering for your opponents after you're already behind cover). There's still this wave of input lag that hits every game I play between the 2nd and 3rd playzone restriction events. The devs are hard at work on server stability though, with optimizations coming on a weekly basis and a big server performance update expected in late June. Not to mention they're working on retailoring the UE4 netcode with help from Epic to accommodate the map size, assets, and player count.

Yup, crossplay across regions is available for everyone. You can queue up to servers in the NA region with EU players in your group and vice versa.

There is an option for matchmaking with another random player in duos or three other random players for squads. And of course you can form a group with friends and queue all together. I invite you to join our Discord server! Link is in the OP. We have a slowly growing community of EU players.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I'll be getting the game right now and start some games tonight! I'm looking forward to see you guys on Discord!

First solo win 23 hours in
b64VcG5.jpg

At certain point as with around ~20 people left I was fairly sure I was going to end up pretty high. I don't know about you, the movement of the circle has huge random luck factor to increase or decrease your winning chances. For example, I knew that was going to do well because the circle constantly moved into direction I was sure I could cover all sides of, with my back towards the water.

Only thing I almost messed up was missing player #3 around 20 times before killing him.

Tagyhag

Keep hitting #5, just can't break through lol.

Also, don't think I like the VSS that much. Feels way too weak and inaccurate for a sniper. Granted, you can get it as normal loot and it's already silenced, but it's hard to have a snipe-off with it.

baby

just booted up the game for the first time post update - theres a shadow following me whenever im in a building. just a huge block surrounding me up until about a foot in front of me

is this a common problem? is it a glitch anyone knows how to fix? if not, is this just my character being depressed?

Patrick S.

Banned
I only learned about this game a few days ago, randomly clicked on a stream on twitch. Was watching that Halo pro dude, Ninja, playing it. Crap, how self aggrandizing is that guy?! I kinda wanted to punch him.

Bleh, my first games post patch included a guy sitting in ambush on top of a building for 10 minutes without moving, and a guy headshotting me over a full second after I had gotten 100% behind cover.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Soo how is the performance now?

FPS more stable, server performance worse.

Backlash about to start due to the server problems. People will say "but it is early access." which will then be refuted by, "Servers ran great in the closed beta."

Bleh, my first games post patch included a guy sitting in ambush on top of a building for 10 minutes without moving, and a guy headshotting me over a full second after I had gotten 100% behind cover.

Servers are butt right now, both EU and NA. Been watching Sacriel all day and hes getting 1-3s lag in every game.

Anecdotally, I've been in two games where it was lagging so much the blue circle actually shrunk INTO the safe zone before it disappeared (it had no effect on gameplay, just the minimap an regular map views).

JDB

Banned
The thing is that the netcode is bad enough on its own, but the servers shit themselves halfway through matches for seemingly no reason. Really frustrating when out of no where everything suddenly has a crazy delay and everyone including yourself is teleporting around.

Keep hitting #5, just can't break through lol.

Also, don't think I like the VSS that much. Feels way too weak and inaccurate for a sniper. Granted, you can get it as normal loot and it's already silenced, but it's hard to have a snipe-off with it.

I got a kill with it. I like it. 5 body shots is rough to down, but it coming stocked is nice. It does seem like the bullet dropoff is significant though compared to other snipers. Only gun I've adjusted the zeroing. Maybe I'm imagining things.

William

Is it bad form to shoot the little group of AFK people if you run across them?

I shot ten of them in a recent game and then felt a little bad about it.

Twookie

got my second chicken dinner today with mah boyz, feels pretty godddamn good

not sure if I like the VSS either, feels underwhelming but then again I have only had it once so might just be that one round.

GodofWine

What if they came back and you had 10 people somewhere behind you? Blast away.

First solo win 23 hours in

At certain point as with around ~20 people left I was fairly sure I was going to end up pretty high. I don't know about you, the movement of the circle has huge random luck factor to increase or decrease your winning chances. For example, I knew that was going to do well because the circle constantly moved into direction I was sure I could cover all sides of, with my back towards the water.

Only thing I almost messed up was missing player #3 around 20 times before killing him.

Feelsgoodman.

My lone win was the first time in a long time I yelled "YEEEESSS!" outloud playing a game...and I haven't been that nervous in a long time.

Tagyhag

I got a kill with it. I like it. 5 body shots is rough to down, but it coming stocked is nice. It does seem like the bullet dropoff is significant though compared to other snipers. Only gun I've adjusted the zeroing. Maybe I'm imagining things.

I definitely had to shoot above more than other snipers.

Brakara

It does seem like the bullet dropoff is significant though compared to other snipers. Only gun I've adjusted the zeroing. Maybe I'm imagining things.

No, you're right. The 9mm has lower velocity and thus higher bullet drop. There's someone on YT showing that from the test server (LevelCap maybe).

AaronMT86

Trying to understand the benefit if any to playing squads with randoms. I've tried four games and all four games players are doing their own thing with zero communication on the microphone. Why queue up that mode if that's what you're going to do?

Twookie

got the VSS again, and yeah, it's definitely underwhelming as a sniper. probably better as a AR replacement for medium-longish ranges?

Uiki

got the VSS again, and yeah, it's definitely underwhelming as a sniper. probably better as a AR replacement for medium-longish ranges?

You think it's underpowered because you need 5 shots to kill a lv2 armor and the bullets have an insane arc... but the shots are totally silent. You can't really tell from where you got shot because bullets are subsonic. You can just hear impacts around you if you are near objects.

https://clips.twitch.tv/CulturedFrailEggnogSwiftRage

It's a medium to short range weapon, perfect for the last 3 circles.

Does the VSS drop anywhere or is it a crate item?

Both.

scaffa

I bought the game today and i'm loving it. Played 8 rounds total and on the 7th I got my first Chicken Dinner. On the 8th I got my second Chicken Dinner! That feels so good, I need more!

It's way to intense for me to play a couple of sessions in a row though. My head hurts and my heartbeat is going nuts.

Twookie

You think it's underpowered because you need 5 shots to kill a lv2 armor and the bullets have an insane arc... but the shots are totally silent. You can't really tell from where you got shot because bullets are subsonic. You can just hear impacts around you if you are near objects.

https://clips.twitch.tv/CulturedFrailEggnogSwiftRage

It's a medium to short range weapon, perfect for the last 3 circles.

Yeah, that's true. I'm most likely just bad with it.

Dufoos

Banned
Patch has increased fps but I had a game where the circles weren't showing correctly to me. Minimap kept showing previous circles and the blue would move while white circles would stay on screen. Had to guess where the circle would be.

Loving the new patch. I have a low-end graphics card and the result is day and night. I had a decent fps in "very low", now i have good fps with medium texture. I still have a little stuttering when going close to towns but it's less than before.

baby

doesnt effect them at all. chances are, all 10 of them are crashed or otherwise disconnected. just free points for you, go for it

Okay, found a game where there were only a sporadic handful of lag spikes.

A) The new AK is no joke, I nearly got my head blown off in a building vs building firefight in Rozhok.

B) Ha ha, they had to do the thing that happened to a lot of older games where the Red Cross doesn't like their symbol being used without permission, so the First Aid Kits have H's on them instead of crosses now.

C) I wish I was recording for the moment my buggy hit a small slope and practically levitated straight upward (it was like an 80 degree angle from the ground) and nearly ended up hanging by its front tires on a tree branch.

D) I am already rusty after neglecting playing for a few days to wait for the patch. Died at 12 because I ran too soon. Oddly enough, the guy behind me didn't seem to realize I was there until I looked around hearing a noise, stopped, panic ADSed without meaning to, and he finally shot me.

E) Haven't seen either new bike or the VSS in person yet, but there's been VSS kills in every game today.

F) Not sure about performance. It seemed smoother? It definitely felt smoother in city firefights.

Top Bottom