• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing shooters causes damage to the brain

Even if we shouldn't make conclusions from this study with the small sample size...

Are there people who only play action games? No puzzle, adventure, strategy, or platformer games? Cause that's pretty sad lol, no wonder those people get burnt on AAA games.

Even if we shouldn't make conclusions from this study with the small sample size...

Are there people who only play action games? No puzzle, adventure, strategy, or platformer games? Cause that's pretty sad lol, no wonder those people get burnt on AAA games.
well, even with the sample size, the actual study is not all that radical.

it's basically saying cognitive action stimulates the cognitive system but fails to stimulate long term memory, which means it decreases because other studies have shown that when long term memory is not being stimulated, it decreases.

mild shock.

those arguments are not even unique to this study. all this study does it suggest shooters only stimulate cognitive system and not long term memory, whereas puzzles games do the opposite.

you could replace any repetitive action that only stimulates cognitive system with shooters, and that any physical and/or mental action that fails to stimulate long term memory results in lack of long term memory stimulation.

cells deteriorate, so if you're not stimulating new ones, there's net loss. doesn't matter what the action is per se.

the main finding would be that some shooters do nothing to stimulate long term memory. (which means if you don't use it, you lose it).

not sure that's exaaaactly the same as brain damage o.0

Tecnniqe

Banned
What prestige level are you
latest

Greddleok

I don't understand what's inherently different between a shooter and a platformer. This is even more complex when you assess games like Titanfall which are a hybrid.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I play Destiny, that explains the crazy sexual sweaty dirty foggy psychedelic nightmares I get.

B.K.

That explains all the horrible voice chats you hear about with shooters. They aren't just terrible people, they're brain damaged.

well, even with the sample size, the actual study is not all that radical.

it's basically saying cognitive action stimulates the cognitive system but fails to stimulate long term memory, which means it decreases because other studies have shown that when long term memory is not being stimulated, it decreases.

mild shock.

those arguments are not even unique to this study. all this study does it suggest shooters only stimulate cognitive system and not long term memory, whereas puzzles games do the opposite.

you could replace any repetitive action that only stimulates cognitive system with shooters, and that any physical and/or mental action that fails to stimulate long term memory results in lack of long term memory stimulation.

cells deteriorate, so if you're not stimulating new ones, there's net loss. doesn't matter what the action is per se.

the main finding would be that some shooters do nothing to stimulate long term memory. (which means if you don't use it, you lose it).

not sure that's exaaaactly the same as brain damage o.0

Totally, I can see that action games are not working on memory, so by not activating the hippocampus among other memory stores, there is going to be atrophy since they're not used as you say the "use it, lose it" idiom for neurogenesis.

I'd love for a bigger study on this.

jimboton

So the only genre that could save us from certain neuroligical doom just happens to be one of the the worst represented today: the Minimap-less and Compass-less third person action game/ platformer. Would a Immersive sim style FPS without navigational aids also count as hippocampus safe?

I have the sneaking suspicion that linear 2d platformers on the whole are just as caudate nucleus intensive as corridor shooters... what about metroidvanias though?

In any case this settles it: getting lost in games == GOOD. :p

Roshin

Shooters, alcohol, rock music, comic books, dancing, sex, fast food, etc.

I'm surprised I manage to find my way to Gaf everyday.

Estoc

Study funded by Nintendo.

Before you say "But but Splatoon...", Hero mode features quite a bit platforming to cancel the damage done in multiplayer mode. They even have a DDR mode for when you need that unknown effect on your brain, more study is needed.

#SwitchTheGamers

Huh... Doesn't really work when you swap out the "4"....

If playing two weeks of action games decreases gray matter and two weeks of more 'thinking' games increases gray matter, then what we have is that really, every human activity increases or decreases gray matter, not just video games.

Now, think for a moment the 'brain damage' that is caused in millions of people because they live with mindless, repetitive, boring jobs. Done week after week, month after month, year after year.
Because, let's be honest, not everyone can have the interesting/creative ones, there are lots of jobs needed in society that are not interesting.

Should we ban all those boring jobs?

Interesting. But if the results are reflective of a wider population (sample size was small), I wonder if it'd be right to generalise the conclusion to cover just shooters. Perhaps those games share something else in common.

Would playing GoldenEye 007 have the same effect of Borderlands 2 for example? Very different game design, and Borderlands 2 itself utilises Skinner's Techniques to reward the player for doing repetitive tasks.

GoldenEye 007 has levels that you approach methodologically, often where every inch of space is used for some sort of purpose or choice (Bunker 2 is a good one). Would have been great if the researchers used Hitman (2016) in the study.

Blizzard

Banned
What if I play a really old FPS with complicated floor maps and I have to memorize door key locations?

What if I play a first-person action game that ALSO involves 3D platforming, like Mirror's Edge?

We clearly have to devise the perfect balance of gaming.

Top Bottom